Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

When you fail to pick the lock you just knock on the door. When the person on the other side opens it you cold cock them and run in.

Knocking is always the first thing I try. The people I play with often seem to think it's weird, but you never know if you don't try. Maybe they'll just open the door if we're polite. Can't hurt. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

New Leaf posted:

Do you need a Necromancer with a Zombie pet for that, or do you summon a Frost Elemental?

You just need the right weapon for the task

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Tiggum posted:

If your DM is letting you retry until you succeed, they're doing it wrong. A fail means "you can't figure it out and you need to think of a different approach", not "keep rolling the dice till you get the right numbers".

You're actually supposed to reroll until you get it right in D&D, at least in 3.5e. The rolls each take time, increasing the chances of you getting caught. Only a critical failure should stop the attempt.

If you're in a situation where getting caught is not an issue and you have sufficient skill level, you can choose to "take 20" in which an arbitrary amount of time passes and you automatically succeed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PremiumSupport posted:

You're actually supposed to reroll until you get it right in D&D, at least in 3.5e. The rolls each take time, increasing the chances of you getting caught, Only a critical failure should stop the attempt.

If you're in a situation where getting caught is not an issue and you have sufficient skill level you can choose to "take 20" in which an arbitrary amount of time passes and you automatically succeed.

I mean, yeah, the worst version of D&D has the worst rules.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

New Leaf posted:

Second hand it might sound cringey, but in the moment it was probably a lot of fun.

Yeah. Telling people about your tabletop adventures is like telling people about the weird dream you had last night or that time you totally saw a ghost. It was cool for you but nobody wants to hear about it.

Much like my posting.

Also your tabletop experience is 99% the people you play with, 0.99% snacks and 0.01% the actual mechanical system.

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Oct 4, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

buddhist nudist posted:

that time you totally saw a ghost

:wrong:

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Nobody cares about the time you heard a thing and saw a shadow in a old building.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

buddhist nudist posted:

Nobody cares about the time you heard a thing and saw a shadow in a old building.

That was just in case you meant a real ghost, not some spoopy shadows :ghost:

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Ghosts aren't real, hth.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Leo?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the whole point of being able to retry lockpicking is that you should only be rolling when it's time-sensitive, in which case the GM gets more rolls on the random encounter table, and retrying the lock increases your rick proportionately.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

buddhist nudist posted:

Also your tabletop experience is 99% the people you play with, 0.99% snacks and 0.01% the actual mechanical system.

:hai:

Anyway, getting back on topic, I've been playing Warsaw, and while it's atmosphere is spot-on for fighting a doomed resistance against actual monsters, the game does seem overtuned for the ultra-hardcore crowd, the kind of people who can speedrun Darkest Dungeon with the starting party in one go or the like. Stuff like all your attacks requiring limited ammo supplies, certain attacks being usable only from and on certain slots (my medic in the back rows, for example, can only hit Nazis in the back rows as well :psyduck:). That said, I haven't installed the latest update yet, so maybe that'll address some of my issues.

CommissarMega has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Oct 4, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish the DLC in Borderlands 2 didn't level off at 35. Meaning you have to switch to hard mode if you want to reach level 50 with matching gear instead of slogging through easy content with no reward. (I have no intention of beating the campaign in true and ultimate, oinstead only to get strong enough to solo Terramorphous.)

There's the matter that the numbers are fudged so that shields get exponentially weaker.

In the first game it was viable to experience the DLC in the one playthrough, provided you skip the. lovely padding quests (Moxxi's arena, collecting brains)

It's weird you can have a DLC prominently star an openly-gay black(?) guy, only to tell a really racist story since your primary foe are "tribal savages" who chuck Spears at you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't remember collecting brains being a problem or even a standout mechanic. Don't you get then just for you know, playing the game?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If I don't enjoy doing a quest I don't do it, but a lot of gamers are addicted to checklists.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CommissarMega posted:

certain attacks being usable only from and on certain slots (my medic in the back rows, for example, can only hit Nazis in the back rows as well :psyduck:)

That's a fundamental mechanic of that style of combat. I could see it being unintuitive or poorly justified in a more realistic setting, but DD generally did an alright job with it.

Len posted:

I don't remember collecting brains being a problem or even a standout mechanic. Don't you get then just for you know, playing the game?

The problem with the brains is that the milestones aren't logically paced alongside the rest of the DLC and Zombie TK is out of the way in a corner of one of the maps so every time you fill up and hit a milestone you have to march all the way back to turn it in and start the next collection task.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PremiumSupport posted:

If you're in a situation where getting caught is not an issue and you have sufficient skill level, you can choose to "take 20" in which an arbitrary amount of time passes and you automatically succeed.

Somewhat incorrect. Taking 20 means you pretend as if you basically rolled every value of a 20 sided die over the course of some longish amount of time. If you can't succeed on a 20 (and no, rolling a 20 on a skill check is not a critical success), then you still don't succeed.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

John Murdoch posted:

That's a fundamental mechanic of that style of combat. I could see it being unintuitive or poorly justified in a more realistic setting, but DD generally did an alright job with it.

Yeah, I was ragging on it being unintuitive. I normally wouldn't really mind, but combined with the fact that all attacks use varying amounts of ammo (there IS a melee attack being planned, but that's coming at the end of the month), it could leave you in a bad situation if your medic's the only person with ammo for their gun, and you have to waste turns getting shot as you move her to the front row because your machine gunner's cheapest attack costs 6 Heavy Ammo and you've only got 5 left (which actually happened to me), and the Nazi's in the front row.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That...sounds like an awful combination of mechanics.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but there's still a ways to go on the technical side. In terms of atmosphere, like I said, it's spot on. For example, each mission you send your people on takes several ingame days, after which you see just how much the population of Warsaw has dropped in that time :cry:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Remember when 8 people got salty that the new XCOM didn't use time-units?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Remember when 8 people got salty that the new XCOM didn't use time-units?
I still am :mrgw:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Finally got around to trying out the Crash Team Racing remake (on PS4) and wow...the load times feel pretty egregious for a closed-circuit racer. Solid 45 seconds waiting for a track to load, and another 45 to get back to the hub world by the time it loads up and gives you an unskippable victory scene.

(also entertaining/aggravating, but only a one-time thing, is that you literally have to manually page through 70+ pages of license agreements the first time you boot the game. I saw the "page 1/XX" listed at the bottom and thought it was a satirical joke at first, but noooope)

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's a good thing reviewers don't give a poo poo about load times so games can get away with it over and over.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Same here. Like it's cool the XCOM reboot sort revitalized interest in the genre but I wanna strip a dude naked and give him a knife so he has enough TUs to run in, stab everyone and then drop a grenade on the floor.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Have the earlier XCOM games become suddenly unavailable? Can you not play them anymore?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Because game genres evolve when they continue to make games in that mold? I can still play Super Mario Bros but Super Mario Galaxy is a better improved version of it because they kept making Mario games.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah, evolution is sometimes about getting rid of old poo poo we don't need anymore.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bony tony posted:

Yeah, evolution is sometimes about getting rid of old poo poo we don't need anymore.

On the one hand, lives are mostly gone. On the other, no more manuals and stepping on a spike in a platformer immediately turns you into a skeleton.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm overall okay with a lot of evolution of games, but I do think that when it happens with RPGs and strategy games we end up losing some of the fun, creative clownshoes nonsense that isn't actually bad, it's just the baby that got thrown out with the bathwater, and there's still place for it if a game decided to actually run with it.

The weird poo poo you can pull with old X-Com's time units is a decent example, but my preferred pick is always the Elder Scrolls games from Morrowind through to Skyrim. It's pretty hard to say that of all of those Skyrim isn't the best of those games; it looks better, plays smoother, they've improved how a lot of it feels, the game's balance is overall a lot more consistent (or at least has less glaring outliers)... but we lost a bunch of stuff that actually did have a place, because it didn't suit the core gameplay they were going for. We lost Unarmored from Morrowind to Oblivion, meaning that there's not even a theoretical point to wearing anything but the best armor of your preferred type. We lost Hand-to-Hand from Oblivion to Skyrim, so an unarmed monk sorta character is impossible now. Oblivion simplified movement-focused stats and skills and Skyrim completely removed them, so it became harder and then impossible to do weird silly travel stuff like the Boots of Blinding Speed. And of course, Skyrim removed spellmaking and greatly simplified enchanting, which rendered a lot of the absurd fun the more creative types got up to in the previous games completely null and void.

That's always been the thing that drags down recent Bethesda games, and a lot of other recent RPGs and strategy games; sure, that core gameplay is better, but if I'm someone who preferred to play the more off-beat stuff then it's less interesting to me when that off-beat stuff gets marginalized.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RareAcumen posted:

On the one hand, lives are mostly gone. On the other, no more manuals and stepping on a spike in a platformer immediately turns you into a skeleton.

On the other other hand, GameFAQs!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Cleretic posted:

I'm overall okay with a lot of evolution of games, but I do think that when it happens with RPGs and strategy games we end up losing some of the fun, creative clownshoes nonsense that isn't actually bad, it's just the baby that got thrown out with the bathwater, and there's still place for it if a game decided to actually run with it.

The weird poo poo you can pull with old X-Com's time units is a decent example, but my preferred pick is always the Elder Scrolls games from Morrowind through to Skyrim. It's pretty hard to say that of all of those Skyrim isn't the best of those games; it looks better, plays smoother, they've improved how a lot of it feels, the game's balance is overall a lot more consistent (or at least has less glaring outliers)... but we lost a bunch of stuff that actually did have a place, because it didn't suit the core gameplay they were going for. We lost Unarmored from Morrowind to Oblivion, meaning that there's not even a theoretical point to wearing anything but the best armor of your preferred type. We lost Hand-to-Hand from Oblivion to Skyrim, so an unarmed monk sorta character is impossible now. Oblivion simplified movement-focused stats and skills and Skyrim completely removed them, so it became harder and then impossible to do weird silly travel stuff like the Boots of Blinding Speed. And of course, Skyrim removed spellmaking and greatly simplified enchanting, which rendered a lot of the absurd fun the more creative types got up to in the previous games completely null and void.

That's always been the thing that drags down recent Bethesda games, and a lot of other recent RPGs and strategy games; sure, that core gameplay is better, but if I'm someone who preferred to play the more off-beat stuff then it's less interesting to me when that off-beat stuff gets marginalized.
Daggerfall had a lot more things just wouldn't fly in games these days (literal impossible dungeons due to bad generation for example) but I miss the crazy character generation. Being able to pick flaws (eg take damage in sunlight) for extra XP growth, or take some benefits and have a slower character growth. A climbing skill. Being able to travel across the lands taking out loans. A ridiculously large (but empty) world. Having a horse and cart to carry all your stuff. Shame I was never able to beat it because I got stuck and couldn't figure out a bunch of things, and the main mission was timed.

But yeah. The overkill streamlining is dragging the games down. At this rate, the next Elder Scrolls will just have one armor type and one weapon type. And one guild which you can join and become the master of without any skills.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

Same here. Like it's cool the XCOM reboot sort revitalized interest in the genre but I wanna strip a dude naked and give him a knife so he has enough TUs to run in, stab everyone and then drop a grenade on the floor.

Julian Gollop is about to release Phoenix Point, which looks to be a celebration of all the weird grognardy details from the original, along with super detailed bullet tracking and cover, and proceduarlly generated alien monstrosities.

I went to a talk by him a few years back, and he seemed to genuinely be a fan of new-COMs combat and class systems. It was the gamified feel of the worldscape and missions that pissed him off. The simulationist aspect of OG-COM, the way the aliens had their own agenda and strategy with their UFOs. always seemed like a novelty to me. UFOs kinda just appeared, terror attacks just kind of happened, I never got the feeling that there was an actual strategy behind it, so it's kinda surprising how Gollop considered that such a key part of the experience.

There was also a weirdly touching moment when he talked about how he hadn't got to grips with new-COMs destructible environments, and a muton smashed the floor and his entire squad died horribly :xcom:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

RareAcumen posted:

Somebody didn't play Blasphemous.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thing dragging down Beat Saber is that my goony body is horrifically out of shape and I get sore after playing which makes it hard to keep playing it!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Leal posted:

Thing dragging down Beat Saber is that my goony body is horrifically out of shape and I get sore after playing which makes it hard to keep playing it!

The thing dragging it down for me is that in the 'campaign' there's a bottleneck mission to progress where you have to have your hands 'travel' 600m/2000feet.
And it's just the worst garbage, even flailing my hands around during every downtime I only come close to it.

It doesn't help that I have a busted shoulder which makes that specific level even more tedious. Normal gameplay works just fine, but I've butted my head against that level a couple times, and I just don't understand why it's a bottleneck, as opposed to just an optional side-mission or something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bony tony posted:

Have the earlier XCOM games become suddenly unavailable? Can you not play them anymore?

I used to love the original XCOM games but I can’t play them anymore because the UI is painfully 90’s. There’s so much stuff that games have figured out since it came out that we take for granted.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SubNat posted:

The thing dragging it down for me is that in the 'campaign' there's a bottleneck mission to progress where you have to have your hands 'travel' 600m/2000feet.
And it's just the worst garbage, even flailing my hands around during every downtime I only come close to it.

It doesn't help that I have a busted shoulder which makes that specific level even more tedious. Normal gameplay works just fine, but I've butted my head against that level a couple times, and I just don't understand why it's a bottleneck, as opposed to just an optional side-mission or something.

I did do that yesterday, but it was my bane for a few days before that. I waved my arms like crazy at the start, and you can also get some extra distance at the end after the last block cause it still counts for a few seconds after. But with a busted shoulder, I don't think you can do that without causing even more damage.

After that point though, it really goes to poo poo. You get missions where you have to limit how much you move your arms, there is a maximum distance to move. That was a pain cause I had to be like a trex and barely move. Then you get ones that are like "intentionally miss or miscut some cubes". I was getting into the rhythm and learning how to play and then the game goes "Ok now do the opposite of what you're meant to do in this."

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The cape in Super Mario World is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Leal posted:

I was getting into the rhythm and learning how to play and then the game goes "Ok now do the opposite of what you're meant to do in this."

Sonic Racing Transformed mirror stages are a wonderful take on this. You get that far and think you're the poo poo and suddenly you're crashing on every single wall.