Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

joker is apparently crushing box office numbers so expect this manufactured outrage a lot more often.

I'm excited for a new wave of dumb-as-gently caress edgelord movies in a couple of years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Percelus posted:

i'm not going to argue the mcu has good politics but the second movie is basically about drone murder and preemptive strikes while the third is idk but he goes rogue or something :shrug:

i'm standing by my take the second movie at least has a good message compared to most hollywood drivel that rather fellate drone operators as unsung heroes than question that drone murder is inherently wrong and needs to stop

Civil War is a more grounded, realistic retelling of the Metal Gear Solid games. Cap is basically Big Boss with even more idiotic motivations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

god Joker was bad, all that great production design wasted on a bad screenplay, ending owned though

you get what's coming to you *shoots robert de niro in the loving face on live tv*

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

it's amazing how much of a self-fulfilling prophecy Joker has become because a bunch of checkmark libs threw the same bitch fit about the trailer six months ago. ironically, they've made viewing it less safe

how are so many goons falling for this obvious joke tweet

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/Massawyrm/status/1180171196182204416

Given that people are flipping their poo poo at this, people's standards today kinda got shot out today!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kunster posted:

Given that people are flipping their poo poo at this, people's standards today kinda got shot out today!

this tweet is correct and modern cinemas obsession with pseudo intellectualism sucks

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
pop culture is a toilet in general, but all this joker meme poo poo is especially foul

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm making the next joker movie we're bringing back jared leto joker except this time we're doing it like borat i'm just going to tell jared he is a really special genius artist person and to go out and blow people's minds in public as his twisted sick joker

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Serf posted:

yeah except that movie depicted those things as bad. joker has marginalized citizens putting on clown masks and beating up the cops and killing the rich and it never really tries to make that look bad

drat i gotta see joker now

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

you really don't

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Kunster posted:

im pretty sure he's subtweeting scorcese who said comic book movies are trash (after being asked his opinion on them)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a lot of film people take it too seriously, but comic book movies definitely are trash

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

smarxist posted:

a lot of film people take it too seriously, but comic book movies definitely are trash

Everything is trash.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

liberals like Scorcese tend to fetishize art because they lack the language to really clarify why things like the MCU are bad. It's not like Marvel movies "aren't cinema" as if they aren't works of art - the problem is that they're produced en masse as commodities first and as movies second. Their only purpose is to reify normative values without actually challenging anything, so you can argue that's bad and that it's bad cinema but you can't say it's "not cinema" as if it's somehow illegitimate.

but MCU heads are never going to be able to make this kind of argument because they've convinced themselves that actually MCU poo poo is good.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I like the Marvel movies (as well as the Disney Star Wars movies) but Scorsese is 100 percent right about the Marvel movies. There's been what 23 of these movies over the past 11 years and like what are the quotable lines from these movies?

I would say the biggest problem with the Marvel (and Star Wars) movies it's the assembly line nature of then where the studio has mapped out most of the movie and doesn't give the director much freedom in the crafting of the movie and their willingness to reshoot shoot so much of their movies well makes a voice that isn't what the studio wants impossible and that's a huge detriment to these movies and to the medium as a whole

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Fast & Furious movies, however, are art.

except Hobbs & Shaw

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

liberals like Scorcese tend to fetishize art because they lack the language to really clarify why things like the MCU are bad. It's not like Marvel movies "aren't cinema" as if they aren't works of art - the problem is that they're produced en masse as commodities first and as movies second. Their only purpose is to reify normative values without actually challenging anything, so you can argue that's bad and that it's bad cinema but you can't say it's "not cinema" as if it's somehow illegitimate.

but MCU heads are never going to be able to make this kind of argument because they've convinced themselves that actually MCU poo poo is good.
it's not just that they're incapable of challenging power, even a liberal can recognize that they also suck the creative energy out of the industry, making something like the new hollywood movement effectively impossible under late capitalism

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Scorsese is absolutely right. now that theres like 30 of them people digest marvel movies like theyre an extremely expensive tv show

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

KomradeX posted:

I like the Marvel movies (as well as the Disney Star Wars movies) but Scorsese is 100 percent right about the Marvel movies. There's been what 23 of these movies over the past 11 years and like what are the quotable lines from these movies?

I would say the biggest problem with the Marvel (and Star Wars) movies it's the assembly line nature of then where the studio has mapped out most of the movie and doesn't give the director much freedom in the crafting of the movie and their willingness to reshoot shoot so much of their movies well makes a voice that isn't what the studio wants impossible and that's a huge detriment to these movies and to the medium as a whole

Thor: Ragnarok must've been a fluke then because it's very much a Taika Waititi movie.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Thor: Ragnarok must've been a fluke then because it's very much a Taika Waititi movie.

and the two guardian of the galaxy movies are james gunn films

i'm firmly in the superhero, and all summer blockbusters since forever really, are trash made to sell tickets not explore the human condition or examine society in any meaningful way

however as a human i do enjoy eating garbage

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

jack landors should have stolen his morpher when he went to do socially responsible work instead of returning it to the space police

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i remember i saw some famous artist speak at mason gross instead of regular class when i took a 101 course for fun and the art kids in the audience kept trying to ask the most pretentious questions and she wasn't having it but instead talked about how pulp trash like dick tracey inspired her and that people from the midwest drink from the bottom of the barrel culturally and enjoy it

sometimes you just gotta consume the garbage, it's more fun to talk about anyway

e- heck i'd argue refusing to consume trash media of any kind is absolutely a bougie affectation that reflects a disdain for the common man and their "lowbrow" tastes. well crafted high art serves an important function but there is only so much of it people can take in before needing some good old fashioned shlock

Percelus has issued a correction as of 13:56 on Oct 5, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Squizzle posted:

jack landors should have stolen his morpher when he went to do socially responsible work instead of returning it to the space police

This is a joke for you and me and nobody else

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Percelus posted:

i remember i saw some famous artist speak at mason gross instead of regular class when i took a 101 course for fun and the art kids in the audience kept trying to ask the most pretentious questions and she wasn't having it but instead talked about how pulp trash like dick tracey inspired her and that people from the midwest drink from the bottom of the barrel culturally and enjoy it

sometimes you just gotta consume the garbage, it's more fun to talk about anyway

e- heck i'd argue refusing to consume trash media of any kind is absolutely a bougie affectation that reflects a disdain for the common man and their "lowbrow" tastes. well crafted high art serves an important function but there is only so much of it people can take in before needing some good old fashioned shlock

I'll consumw trash media that's enjoyable but I'm not going to eat a dog turd just because idiots like it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

yeah just because it’s trash doesn’t mean it’s good trash

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The original blade movie is fantastic trash

The mcu movies are just poo poo

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

of course you should only consume the trash you enjoy i'm just saying don't let people shame you for dumpster diving

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It also had much better politics: eat the rich instead of making them heroes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Equeen posted:

It also had much better politics: eat the rich instead of making them heroes.

Also the rich were a cabal of immortal parasites who fed off the lesser people

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
MCU films are trash but so are art films.

I think its silly to get offended but the reasons for doing so aren't bad - if some fart huffing pedophile defender says the stuff you enjoy isn't real its not that you're defending the honour of your entertainment its that you rightly perceive that this upper class poo poo bag is looking down his nose at you.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also the rich were a cabal of immortal parasites who fed off the lesser people

I liked the divide between the stuffy old money and the obnoxious and depraved nouveau riche

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

In the future they'll hire mass shooters to stir up hype.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Percelus posted:

and the two guardian of the galaxy movies are james gunn films

i'm firmly in the superhero, and all summer blockbusters since forever really, are trash made to sell tickets not explore the human condition or examine society in any meaningful way

however as a human i do enjoy eating garbage

much in the same way that humans enjoy eating at mcdonalds yes

the main difference between mcdonalds and lovely marvel movies is that no one pretends like mcdonalds is culinary perfection because theyve mastered the art of marketing to eight year olds

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's not any less elitist to act as if it's somehow intrinsic to working class people to enjoy slop than to look down your nose at people for the media they like. Your consumer choices being what puts you in this or that social category is a bougie idea. Enjoy trash media but don't try to turn it into some kind of statement.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i liked thor 3 and the guardians movies but neither of those really engaged with the larger meta-story as much thinking about it

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

MCU films are trash but so are art films.

I think its silly to get offended but the reasons for doing so aren't bad - if some fart huffing pedophile defender says the stuff you enjoy isn't real its not that you're defending the honour of your entertainment its that you rightly perceive that this upper class poo poo bag is looking down his nose at you.

only if you identify with lovely superhero movies

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

also disney isnt exactly much better on the class prejudice/paedophilia defending lol

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
thor ragnarok was aight but it would have been better if i watched it 15 years from now during b movie night

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Farm Frenzy posted:

only if you identify with lovely superhero movies

Its still shittery. So you like watching art films and jerking off about how much smarter you are then those plebs - what the gently caress ever.

And people heavily identifying with popular films - maybe theres some kind of problem with society that a dude worth millions might not have any loving idea about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Grevling posted:

it's intrinsic for people to enjoy slop

ftfy

we're all hogs at the trough, and we want our content