Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yeah, Excalibur trumps God Hand, and at full power it's even able to eliminate several "lives" in one go.

It's a powerful conceptual ability and hard counter to most sure-kill gimmicks (ie Gae Bolg), but it just doesn't work well against miracles of equivalent rank or superior rank.

IIRC Caliburn also took 5 lives at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Paracelsus posted:

IIRC Caliburn also took 5 lives at once.

I always found it weird Caliburn and Excalibur were different blades in the Nasuverse.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I always found it weird Caliburn and Excalibur were different blades in the Nasuverse.

The Sword in the Stone probably sounds too goofy in japanese.

Or maybe not goofy enough spoken in broken english.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sephyr posted:

The Sword in the Stone probably sounds too goofy in japanese.

Or maybe not goofy enough spoken in broken english.

Most versions of the myth have the Sword in the Stone and Caliburn/Excalibur as different swords. Cali came from the Lady of the Lake and was wielded by more than just Arthur. But it just seems unnecessary for different wielders from the same myth to call it different name.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Most versions of the myth have the Sword in the Stone and Caliburn/Excalibur as different swords. Cali came from the Lady of the Lake and was wielded by more than just Arthur. But it just seems unnecessary for different wielders from the same myth to call it different name.

Oh, I know. I was just wondering why they didn't have different attacks, one for each.

Excalibur! and Suorodu in de Istonu!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Caliburn being the sword in the stone and Excalibur being the sword from the Lady of the Lady definitely predates Fate. It's present in old D&D books and given Gygax's tendency to take his stuff from pop fiction of the day I'm guessing it predates those as well. Might be something from Once and Future King?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

Caliburn being the sword in the stone and Excalibur being the sword from the Lady of the Lady definitely predates Fate. It's present in old D&D books and given Gygax's tendency to take his stuff from pop fiction of the day I'm guessing it predates those as well. Might be something from Once and Future King?

arthur having 2 distinct swords goes all the way back to mallory , who invented it to reconcile contradictions in the (already extremely nebulous) canon of vulgate literature. In Monmouth and earlier the sword is always called caliburn or one of the welsh antecedents

mallory was history's first Canon Pedant - nobody else would have found it necessary to do this.

I don't recall whether mallory named the first sword Caliburn and the second Excalibur though.

They might have both been named Excalibur (which is what the Boorman film uses, and that's based on Mallory more than it is based on anything else) or the first sword might have been unnamed

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 24, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are there any good youtube LPs of Fate Grand Order?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

mallory was history's first Canon Pedant - nobody else would have found it necessary to do this.
St Thomas Aquinas would like a word.

"Further, if it be said that what was changed into seed was not that which belong to the truth of human nature in the flesh of the men eaten, but something not belonging to the truth of human nature—on the contrary: Let us suppose that some one is fed entirely on embryos in which seemingly there is nothing but what belongs to the truth of human nature since whatever is in them is derived from the parents."

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Grouchio posted:

Are there any good youtube LPs of Fate Grand Order?

Have you ever played a mobile game, cause to answer your question, not really. You'll get scattered videos of various chapters of the main story or interludes, but by and large FGO videos are of gameplay. It's not an LP friendly game because progression is highly dependent on what units you have and upgrade and there are events in between main chapters to take part of etc etc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

just youtube search fgo [name of story chapter/event/servant interlude] and you'll probably find videos at least going through the story segments

i've only really used it to look at the voiced valentine scenes or interludes from JP but with how many people play the game it seems there's a pretty good amount of coverage. i'm 100% certain all the main story quest and some of the better received events should have story videos. the gameplay side of it is usually divorced from story content when it comes to youtube, so you'd have to go to different channels that post their runs of bosses/challenge quests out of context.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc, in versions of the story where the sword in the stone and Excalibur are separate swords, the sword in the stone doesn't have a unique name, and Caliburn is traditionally just a different name for Excalibur. I vaguely remember there being a version of two where the sword in the stone is Clarent, the ceremonial sword Mordred later steals on their way out of Camelot, but I can't find a source for that one too back it up.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

gently caress Hephaestion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Who likes early internet webpages?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lost Butterfly was cool. It felt like the early plot points were rushed but the core conflict of the route got a lot of development. Kindof odd that they kept the sexy blood drinking metaphor in though.

e: on second thoughts Shirou going "wait, let me fetch the knife" when Sakura was coming onto him was hilarious so maybe mixing the two was a good idea.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 25, 2019

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Grouchio posted:

gently caress Hephaestion.

Of all the historical characters to give the Fate "they were actually a girl" treatment to, this is perhaps the least appropriate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It might be a woman channeling Hephaestion's Heroic Spirit similar to how Mash channels a heroic spirit or even the "Installs" of Primsa Illya? I mean otherwise how the gently caress did someone summon a full fledged servant without the promise of the Holy Grail?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It might be a woman channeling Hephaestion's Heroic Spirit similar to how Mash channels a heroic spirit or even the "Installs" of Primsa Illya? I mean otherwise how the gently caress did someone summon a full fledged servant without the promise of the Holy Grail?

Maybe. but they did make a point of saying the train was partially in the underworld right before she showed up. Seems like an easy place to do necromancy stuff

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Dzhay posted:

Of all the historical characters to give the Fate "they were actually a girl" treatment to, this is perhaps the least appropriate.

Just watch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
lost butterfly was good, but it's upsetting how much they are skimming over the Illya scenes!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they did a good job of fitting details into the little moments and building up the sibling relationship (illya and shirou clinging together during the herc fight is cute) that plays into the third movie. who illya is, what she wants, what she has to do, you get a feel for all of that and its hard to expect more in the amount of time they have to tell the entire story of HF. and we got illya_diving_glomp.png

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Give me a badly sung Lorelei, at the very least!!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Give me a badly sung Lorelei, at the very least!!

It really is stunning just how much worse that seem gotten when they actually added voice acting

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

New CM for the FGO: Babylonia Anime (dailymotion link since the YT upload seems to be heavily region restricted).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/pdwlover/status/1170514140546437122

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Lost Butterfly was a legit good movie, and was surprisingly and startlingly dark. I knew most of the plot beats going in, and I've read Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai before so I've seen some of Nasu's darker stories, but I wasn't expecting it to basically be an anime version of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

I had a total :doh: moment when I realized that the Shadow monster attacking people with its "hair" and Shirou having a dream about cutting off Sakura's head are meant to set her up as a parallel Medusa figure. So in part 3 Shirou's going to team up with Medusa to save another vilified monster girl who's been treated like garbage her entire life. Which is a seriously awesome idea.

that credits music kicks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just can't loving wait for Light And Darkness.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Cephas posted:

I had a total :doh: moment when I realized that the Shadow monster attacking people with its "hair" and Shirou having a dream about cutting off Sakura's head are meant to set her up as a parallel Medusa figure. So in part 3 Shirou's going to team up with Medusa to save another vilified monster girl who's been treated like garbage her entire life. Which is a seriously awesome idea.

they drive this point home in f/ha also, but yeah its good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Apparently Nasu said that the Tsuki remake is on beta testing...?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Apparently Nasu said that the Tsuki remake is on beta testing...?

No, he said in an interview:

“Speaking of your primary job, we’re hoping to see the tsukihime remake soon.”

Nasu: “we’ve actually just test-played it a bit, i assure you the older you are (as a gamer) the better it’ll be.”

“Hearing those words just gave us another reason to live haha.”

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I haven't played Tsukihime yet. Is this the kind of thing where I should just hold out for the remake?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the remake could be anywhere from 2-3 years away to another 10 years away. who knows. the original is good. the remake will probably change a lot from it. decide for yourself.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Look at a clip of the original on youtube, then look at a clip of Mahou Tsukai no Yoru, and decide if the difference is big enough you want to wait. I'd probably wait if I hadn't read it ages ago.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I haven't played Tsukihime yet. Is this the kind of thing where I should just hold out for the remake?

Uh, I think it depends. The Tsukihime was the first Type Moon Visual Novel, when they were just tiny fan-studio and it shows. Compared to F/SN it's rougher around the edges in almost every aspect. It's art oscillates between bad and mediocre, it has a lot of even more random dead ends, parts of it are even slower and more plodding than the slow, plodding parts of Heavens Feel route, it adheres to a lot of anime cliches that later works subvert or outright ignore and instead of handful of mercifully short H-scenes of F/SN (or none, if you have enhanced edition), there's shitload of them, some of them pretty long, some of them seriously creepy in a bad way and all of them with even worse writing than F/SN ones. If you can stomach all of that, Tsukihime has some pretty great story and world, with bunch of memorable characters and overall it's significantly more horror-like, but that's pretty big if.

For what it's worth, the last time I replayed Tsukihime was something like 7 years ago, and I don't really feel the need to replay it ever again. :shrug:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want another season of Lord El-Melloi II. And another. And another.

Also is Babylonia an alternate timeline?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Grouchio posted:

Also is Babylonia an alternate timeline?

Yes it follows the Fate/Grand Order timeline.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thanks for Tsukihime takes. I think I will just check the original game out if the remake is likely to be pretty different and still potentially years down the line.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Uh, I think it depends. The Tsukihime was the first Type Moon Visual Novel, when they were just tiny fan-studio and it shows. Compared to F/SN it's rougher around the edges in almost every aspect. It's art oscillates between bad and mediocre, it has a lot of even more random dead ends, parts of it are even slower and more plodding than the slow, plodding parts of Heavens Feel route, it adheres to a lot of anime cliches that later works subvert or outright ignore and instead of handful of mercifully short H-scenes of F/SN (or none, if you have enhanced edition), there's shitload of them, some of them pretty long, some of them seriously creepy in a bad way and all of them with even worse writing than F/SN ones. If you can stomach all of that, Tsukihime has some pretty great story and world, with bunch of memorable characters and overall it's significantly more horror-like, but that's pretty big if.

For what it's worth, the last time I replayed Tsukihime was something like 7 years ago, and I don't really feel the need to replay it ever again. :shrug:
This in particular gives me some pretty reasonable expectations.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 5, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

Grouchio posted:

I feel the opposite. I liked the singular episodes, but I thought the multiple episode arcs weren't paced well. In fairness, the show never fully clicked with me and that might have something to do with it. Happyish ending for Waver though, that was nice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Grouchio posted:

Considering the series ended with a lot of setup for a second season, and I'm guessing the novels didn't end here either, I'd be surprised if we didn't get one. And thank god for that, after how awful Apocrypha and Extra were, having a Fate spinoff that's actually good (ignoring the cooking one which was excellent) was very much needed.

That was a great series and I genuinely cannot wait for the next season, hopefully soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blaze Dragon posted:

Considering the series ended with a lot of setup for a second season, and I'm guessing the novels didn't end here either, I'd be surprised if we didn't get one. And thank god for that, after how awful Apocrypha and Extra were, having a Fate spinoff that's actually good (ignoring the cooking one which was excellent) was very much needed.

That was a great series and I genuinely cannot wait for the next season, hopefully soon.

Yeah, the novels are already complete, with 10 books out. The train arc was covered in books 4-5, so there's still an awful lot of material left.

Book 1 Waver and Gray solve a mystery involving a dead guy's inheritance in a mansion with a lot of angel symbolism. Luvia guest stars.
Books 2-3 Reines and Gray attend an event hosted by a mage attempting to create the ultimate beauty and get caught up in an incident. Touko guest stars and Atrum Galliasta, Medea's original master makes an appearance.
Books 6-7 are all about Gray's hometown, going into her background as she and Waver revisit it. Zepia guest stars.
Books 8-10 delve into the secrets of the Clock Tower and wrap up the whole Heartless plot. Many characters from previous arcs make an appearance.

I believe there's been a suggestion of adapting the second arc as a movie. I dunno where they'd start if they were to try and make a second season, though.