Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

RyokoTK posted:

Mumbai is a three target level and that one is great. It’s really just Colombia and Maldives that feel a little bloated.

You’re still basically right anyway because Colorado is the single worst map in either of the Nu Hitman levels and has four targets for no good reason at all.

Yeah, Mumbai is solid. It's also basically a 2-target level since you have to coax out the final target rather than him having a designated wandering zone. He does kind of have his own zone but it does double duty as the connecting areas for the other two.

Colorado's only saving grace is that the targets frequently hang out close enough to each other that you can get 2-for-1 with an explosive kill, which is shockingly rare considering how many bombs are unlockable rewards. gently caress actually playing that level though.

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Outer Wilds stress

Thanks (in a weird way), I think this is enough to settle me on not buying it. It still looks neat enough that I'll try to find a good playthrough on youtube, but it sounds like the odds are pretty high against it as a game I'd enjoy actually playing.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Thanks (in a weird way), I think this is enough to settle me on not buying it. It still looks neat enough that I'll try to find a good playthrough on youtube, but it sounds like the odds are pretty high against it as a game I'd enjoy actually playing.

I'm with T, it is incredibly enjoyble to start playing but I had the same issue when it came to actually finishing it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RyokoTK posted:

You’re still basically right anyway because Colorado is the single worst map in either of the Nu Hitman levels and has four targets for no good reason at all.

Awwww, I liked Colorado - the combination of the fact that it's in insanely hostile area where everyone is armed and paranoid and there's a central objective with a ton of guards. It's got a very different feel to the rest of the game and I thought it was cool.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Awwww, I liked Colorado - the combination of the fact that it's in insanely hostile area where everyone is armed and paranoid and there's a central objective with a ton of guards. It's got a very different feel to the rest of the game and I thought it was cool.

I wouldn’t have liked a whole game structured that way but as a mid-game change of pace for one mission I liked it a lot.

The whole thing was basically a callback to Absolution too and as one of the like 5 people that enjoyed Absolution I thought that was cool. I feel the same way about it Absolution as I do about Colorado: cool for one weird spinoff but I’m glad they went back to more traditional Hitman afterward

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I didn't like Colorado because a map where there are no civilian outfits and the 47 Suit is KOS everywhere removes a lot of the fun nuance of better Hitman 2016 maps like Paris or Hokkaido, and the outfits that do exist on the map are not different enough from each other to make that part interesting either.

Also if you're going for Silent Assassin Suit Only Master it's basically impossible without a guide.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

RyokoTK posted:

I didn't like Colorado because a map where there are no civilian outfits and the 47 Suit is KOS everywhere removes a lot of the fun nuance of better Hitman 2016 maps like Paris or Hokkaido, and the outfits that do exist on the map are not different enough from each other to make that part interesting either.

Also if you're going for Silent Assassin Suit Only Master it's basically impossible without a guide.

I agree but I'm also a huge hypocrite because that one Ninja SASO challenge in Hokkaido is my favourite level despite being KOS everywhere :saddowns: honestly I wish you could use the ninja outfit on every level, especially if it still made everyone freak

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The ninja challenge is just that though, a challenge. It is a ton of fun, you're right, but it stands on the shoulders of a map that's already one of the best in either Nu Hitman game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been playing a bunch of MHW:Iceborne lately and it reminded me of how much I absolutely love the smoke effects in this game. So many smoke effects tend to either be really simple, like jpegs layered on top of each other, or fancy particle effects that block off sight. But in MHW, they're these cool effects where the shadows of things come through, creating these awesome silhouettes of the things you're fighting in the smoke. One monster bursts through a wall as part of its scripted 'getting low on health's effect which always means a big smokey field, showing this big beast of a shadow though the smoke as light shines through from behind it.

Also there's a monster who always generates big swirling typhoons around it, with a big dark shadow in the middle of it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing a bunch of MHW:Iceborne lately and it reminded me of how much I absolutely love the smoke effects in this game. So many smoke effects tend to either be really simple, like jpegs layered on top of each other, or fancy particle effects that block off sight. But in MHW, they're these cool effects where the shadows of things come through, creating these awesome silhouettes of the things you're fighting in the smoke. One monster bursts through a wall as part of its scripted 'getting low on health's effect which always means a big smokey field, showing this big beast of a shadow though the smoke as light shines through from behind it.

Also there's a monster who always generates big swirling typhoons around it, with a big dark shadow in the middle of it.

I spent a lot of time when I first got Iceborne just wandering around and marveling at the snow effects. I think that after working on handheld titles for so long, the MH team felt like they had something to prove with HD graphics and they fuckin' killed it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I love that Luigi's Mansion is coming out on Halloween.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Cleretic posted:

Astral Chain is basically just Platinum making an Evangelion game, only instead of piloting a giant robot you're commanding a leashed cyborg monster.

They absolutely know what they've done, because the first unlockable color scheme when you get the ability to customize your cyborg monster is a straight-up exact match for Unit-01.

I finally managed to finish that game, and it's weird that this of all things is something I can make an additional comment on.

Astral Chain has a postgame that has some extra challenges. The first thing you'll probably unlock there is another Legion color scheme, that's this time a decent (not exact this time) match for Unit-02. Given that the default is blue, white and green, and most other Legion color schemes are obtained from finding rare enemy spawns, I just like that they set up this game so that the three color schemes you're drat near certain to get are the Evangelion homages.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Imo The quality of a Hitman level correlates strongly with two factors : area available in regular suit and the inverse of amount of targets over 1.

0 targets means traversal level and are the worst ones but otherwise it roughly checks out.

Colorado is therefore the worst Hitman 2016 level, still pretty ok and far from the worst in the series.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

every time you get a new key in a dragon quest and suddenly have a bunch of re-exploring / world-hopping to do to get all your new toys

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

Imo The quality of a Hitman level correlates strongly with two factors : area available in regular suit and the inverse of amount of targets over 1.

0 targets means traversal level and are the worst ones but otherwise it roughly checks out.

Colorado is therefore the worst Hitman 2016 level, still pretty ok and far from the worst in the series.

It's Bangkok, actually. It's the worst 2016 level.
Looks beautiful, but poo poo to play.
Colorado is fine, the map is small and packed tightly and easy to learn, and while not allowing for too much variance in how you take out the targets, they all sort of naturally end up timing themselves so you can pick them off in one flowing motion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HenryEx posted:

It's Bangkok, actually. It's the worst 2016 level.
Looks beautiful, but poo poo to play.
Colorado is fine, the map is small and packed tightly and easy to learn, and while not allowing for too much variance in how you take out the targets, they all sort of naturally end up timing themselves so you can pick them off in one flowing motion.

Bangkok is great because you can maneuver one of your targets into killing the other. It's always wonderful when Hitman lets you do that, complete with snarky comment from Diana about outsourcing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bangkok is obnoxiously laid out but I’d still rather take that one. SASO was a pain in the rear end though. It beats flat farmland with a house and a barn.

Both maps have terrible escalations though.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Does the Hitman expansion pass ever go on sale? I can't justify $40 for two maps, but I want that bank level

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Detective Buttfuck posted:

Does the Hitman expansion pass ever go on sale? I can't justify $40 for two maps, but I want that bank level

I'm waiting for some kind of game of the year edition. I want those levels but boy are they pricey.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You need a goddamn spreadsheet to figure out how to buy Hitman 1+2 with all levels plus updates.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You need a goddamn spreadsheet to figure out how to buy Hitman 1+2 with all levels plus updates.

Yeah it might be the most pointlessly convoluted dlc structure I’ve ever seen. All I wanted was to pay money and receive content, and it’s too loving confusing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bangkok was kind of annoying to get from one wing to the other but Colorado only having one exit (in story mode) was much more annoying.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Isn't it just Hitman 2016 goty + Hitman 2 Gold edition? Now whether that's the cheapest option is another question.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Didn't they release all of Hitman 1s levels for Hitman 2? I haven't been able to get into the games, but i might check it out if i can get all of them in one place.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lechtansi posted:

Didn't they release all of Hitman 1s levels for Hitman 2? I haven't been able to get into the games, but i might check it out if i can get all of them in one place.

If you have Hitman 1, then it ports them all into the game. I'm not sure how it works if you don't own it, I think there's a legacy pack DLC or something you buy that costs less than the game itself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Bangkok was kind of annoying to get from one wing to the other but Colorado only having one exit (in story mode) was much more annoying.

They have patched that out by now if you've done the level once before, so after Colorado's biggest design flaw is gone, Bangkok now comfortably sits atop the terrible level design throne.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Colorado revisit in that Virus pack was pretty fun, that was a good fix to it

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you have Hitman 1, then it ports them all into the game. I'm not sure how it works if you don't own it, I think there's a legacy pack DLC or something you buy that costs less than the game itself.

This is correct.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm playing the Last Guardian and I just discovered that if the boy gets hurt then Trico will try to comfort him.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Alhazred posted:

I'm playing the Last Guardian and I just discovered that if the boy gets hurt then Trico will try to comfort him.

My favourite little moment:
At one point Trico is on the ground craning his neck up to a ledge where I'm getting some barrels of food.
I toss one off and he snatches it out of the air and eats it.
I toss another but my aim is off, it bounces off his beak and he watches as it falls to the ground, pauses, looks back at me, blinks, and then just sits there and waits for me to go down and pick it up.
It should have been frustrating but it was just perfect pet behaviour.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I was carrying a barrel with Trico food and was trying to toss it, but then he just snatched it out of my hands.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

cohsae posted:

At one point Trico is on the ground craning his neck up to a ledge where I'm getting some barrels of food.
I toss another but my aim is off, it bounces off his beak and he watches as it falls to the ground, pauses, looks back at me, blinks, and then just sits there and waits for me to go down and pick it up.

All the parts that should be frustrating in The Last Guardian generally aren't, because they tend to be behaviours you've probably seen a pet do a million times and goddamn they're lucky they're cute :argh:.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

cohsae posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1dQQkAU.gifv

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I can't decide if the armors are terrifying or adorable. On one hand they're relentless assholes, but on the other they are clumsy, slow and make little grunting noises when they fall over.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Is Last Guardian worth picking up overall? I was super excited before it came out, then my interest just kinda dwindled when it seemed I mostly just heard complaints about the creature mechanics in terms of actually playing it as a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Is Last Guardian worth picking up overall? I was super excited before it came out, then my interest just kinda dwindled when it seemed I mostly just heard complaints about the creature mechanics in terms of actually playing it as a game.

It's a good experience but the weakest of the Ico/SotC selection. They do a good job making it feel like you're basically interacting with a giant animal and it makes the creature really engaging, but it also means the mechanics are occasionally frustrating or annoying in bad ways. It absolutely doesn't 'pop' as quickly as Ico or SotC.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's about what I'd figured, I'll just keep it in mind for when I get enough store credit to pick it up for a few bucks.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I picked back up Bomber Crew and it’s been a really fun game so far.

If your engines become too damaged you will need to send your engineer out onto the wing mid flight to repair it. However, one time I forgot he was out there so when I initiated some intense maneuvers he lost his grip and got thrown from the plane.

The game also has a fast forward button when you’re over friendly land so you don’t need to waste a bunch of time when there are no threats about.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The thing I remember most about The Last Guardian is turning the camera around to look an area over, and getting the achievement for catching Trico answering the call of nature. I didn't know about it before getting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The thing I remember most about The Last Guardian is turning the camera around to look an area over, and getting the achievement for catching Trico answering the call of nature. I didn't know about it before getting it.

Goofy, off the wall achievements like that are the best. I love it when devs have some fun with their achievements.