Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Didn’t he also write one of his critics into one of his books as a pedophile or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Didn’t he also write one of his critics into one of his books as a pedophile or something?

yes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_(novel) posted:

Michael Crowley of The New Republic alleged that, in retaliation for his having written a negative review of Crichton's previous novel State of Fear, Crichton named a character with a small penis who rapes a baby after him. From page 227: "Alex Burnet was in the middle of the most difficult trial of her career, a rape case involving the sexual assault of a two-year-old boy in Malibu. The defendant, thirty-year-old Mick Crowley, was a Washington-based political columnist who was visiting his sister-in-law when he experienced an overwhelming urge to have anal sex with her young son, still in diapers." Both the real and the fictional Crowley are Washington-based political columnists who had graduated from Yale.[24]

it stands tall as one of the laziest, pettiest retaliations in literary history

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lmao holy poo poo, it’s worse than I thought. :eyepop:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, it wasn't even like a villain character or anything, it was literally just a 1-line "well gently caress you too," unrelated to anything.

Wouldn't that be ground for a libel suit?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The guy he wrote about would have had to argue in court that he had a small penis (seriously): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_penis_rule

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Yeah, it wasn't even like a villain character or anything, it was literally just a 1-line "well gently caress you too," unrelated to anything.

As I think about it, wouldn’t Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy take the trophy for literary pettiness? Didn’t Dante work like dozens of his contemporaries into myriad circles of Hell?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

As I think about it, wouldn’t Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy take the trophy for literary pettiness? Didn’t Dante work like dozens of his contemporaries into myriad circles of Hell?

Yes. In the notes from the Musa translation, he covers how tons of people he hated were named or implicated to be in Inferno and Purgatorio, especially several Black Guelphs and Ghibellines, and especially Pope Boniface VIII.

I also have a hypothesis that a modern Dante would have been redpilled since *Abloo Bloo Bloo* "Beatrice doesn't notice me" and he tends to run away crying a lot when he sees her (La Vita Nouva).

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 25, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The North Tower posted:

The guy he wrote about would have had to argue in court that he had a small penis (seriously): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_penis_rule

lol

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The North Tower posted:

Yes. In the notes from the Musa translation, he covers how tons of people he hated were named or implicated to be in Inferno and Purgatorio, especially several Black Guelphs and Ghibellines, and especially Pope Boniface VIII.

I also have a hypothesis that a modern Dante would have been redpilled since *Abloo Bloo Bloo* "Beatrice doesn't notice me" and he tends to run away crying a lot when he sees her (La Vita Nouva).

I mean that's less redpill stuff and more that it was really popular to have an unrequited "love" at the time dante wrote that. Something about unobtainable purity or somesuch.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean that's less redpill stuff and more that it was really popular to have an unrequited "love" at the time dante wrote that. Something about unobtainable purity or somesuch.

Yes, yes, courtly love, love from afar, and all that stuff about love as pure as one would love God.

Let me have my fun and imagine some 4chan poster being Dante’s modern incarnation and writing a 14,000 line poem about the slut girl who didn’t want to gently caress him.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Also forgot to add Michelangelo painted Biagio da Cesena as Minos in his Last Judgement, complete with the ears of an rear end and a snake biting his dick. Being a petty person has a long history.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

The North Tower posted:

I don't think you have to argue that the libelous parts are true though, because that's really stupid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How much money are we talking about here because I’ll let everyone think I have a micropenis if there’s a decent payday.

Also apparently the two kids from Jurassic Park are offering to be in the new movie too. All we need now is a CGI Gennaro like Obi-Won whispering “coooooupon daaaaaaay...”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krispy Wafer posted:

How much money are we talking about here because I’ll let everyone think I have a micropenis if there’s a decent payday.

Also apparently the two kids from Jurassic Park are offering to be in the new movie too. All we need now is a CGI Gennaro like Obi-Won whispering “coooooupon daaaaaaay...”

Would unironically love this.

Hed likely not be CGI, but auto-erotica.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just read the book. It ruled. Even when compared to the movie, Dennis Nedry gets hosed up.

Reading number two, like 10% in and it’s ok so far.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rolo posted:

Just read the book. It ruled. Even when compared to the movie, Dennis Nedry gets hosed up.

Reading number two, like 10% in and it’s ok so far.

Yeah, Nedry’s death in the book always stuck with me as being crazy. You know, holding his own intestines and all that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you can make eighth graders read Where The Red Fern Grows, Dennis Nedry can hold his own intestines.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, Nedry’s death in the book always stuck with me as being crazy. You know, holding his own intestines and all that.

Also similarly Wu getting disemboweled and trying to push the raptor’s head away while it starts eating him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Crichton really had a thing for disembowelment when he wrote jp didnt he?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The point is, you are alive when they start to eat you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oldpainless posted:

More like oldpainful.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

:hmmyes:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FoolyCharged posted:

Crichton really had a thing for disembowelment when he wrote jp didnt he?

I thought it was pretty gruesome at first but the guy has an honest knack for describing people getting hosed up by dinosaurs and that’s awesome.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Disembowelment is awesome and should be in every film/book/children's tv show.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

The North Tower posted:

Beatrice had been dead for years when he wrote about her, and in life they were both married to other people. Redpillers deeply resent the people they claim to want to gently caress, and whatever Dante's doing, it ain't that.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

oldpainless posted:

This was also quite possibly true in reality. And very similar animals as big or bigger as JP raptors did exist.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I kind of hope Grant’s part in the movie is just Sam Neil on his farm showing off his animals.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

bobjr posted:

I kind of hope Grant’s part in the movie is just Sam Neil on his farm showing off his animals.

And he does a little dance in an advert telling the world it's healthy to eat dino-meat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So if Jurassic Park really happened would paleontologists be out of work like Grant says or would some people still want to see artisanal dino bones?

Grant and Sattler are going to working poo poo office jobs when they get called up to help with the new dinosaur invasion.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Krispy Wafer posted:

So if Jurassic Park really happened would paleontologists be out of work like Grant says or would some people still want to see artisanal dino bones?

Grant and Sattler are going to working poo poo office jobs when they get called up to help with the new dinosaur invasion.
hammond was already the only one funding grant and sattler before jp1 started but on the other hand its not like their lifestyle in the badlands mustve been very expensive to maintain

jp dinosaurs arent authentic dinosaurs but they would draw a public consensus of close enough when it comes to bone displays. besides the only genetic verification of whats authentic or not would only be as accurate as the jp (1) dinosaurs themselves anyway. but not the later henry wu monsters

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The main reason I'd actually watch Fallen Kingdom is for Wu

BD Wong has been on a Bad Guy Character streak and I am on board

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hot take. Jurrasic worlds were both fun and good.

The second one being secretly Dino Crisis owns.

Especially when you understand they were just making things shaped like dinosaurs cause that's what the public wants. And Wu just going hog wild off the rails making monsters just flows really well.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 27, 2019

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The main reason I'd actually watch Fallen Kingdom is for Wu

BD Wong has been on a Bad Guy Character streak and I am on board

It's funny how as a kid even before becoming familiar with the book character I remember seeing that guy in the movie and remarking to myself about how he seems to fulfill a major role but is a bit character. Then wondering if he ever got work again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wicker Man posted:

It's funny how as a kid even before becoming familiar with the book character I remember seeing that guy in the movie and remarking to myself about how he seems to fulfill a major role but is a bit character. Then wondering if he ever got work again.

hell yeah he did

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Wicker Man posted:

The curse of the asian actor

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

He was legitimately great in both HBO's Oz, and the Father of the Bride movies for vastly different reasons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BD Wong did more than 140 episodes of Law & Order: SVU, he isn't hurting for money.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm not even mocking, he was awesome on both Gotham and Mr. Robot

He loving nailed Hugo Strange

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

He was legitimately great in both HBO's Oz, and the Father of the Bride movies for vastly different reasons.

Oh poo poo, he was Martin Short's assistant. I never made the connection.

I remember him being one of my favorite characters in the movie. Just sorta pops in there and you think he's going to have a larger part and no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know I'm overthinking things but I've always wondered what would actually happen if you put dinosaurs millions of years and eras apart into the same ecosystem like Jurassic Park does. Like what chance does a Jurassic Period sauropod have against a superpredator like a T Rex? There were giant sauropods in the Cretaceous but not many in the Rex's hunting range. Or in reverse how would an Allosaurus get along hunting Ceratopsids, like that Battle at Big Rock short film? The movies never really talk about how this artificial ecosystem would struggle from what are essentially dozens of invasive species all competing with each other. As a theme park that's fine, but in the wild on Isla Sorna or now the mainland I'd really like to see how the ecosystems adapt or fail to adapt to new species.