Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

axeil posted:

Any good ideas for this weekend in terms of decks? I'm debating just saying screw it and doing Golos Field because it seems like it has no truly terrible matchups and in a bo1 format where you can only lose once you need to minimize having matchups where you just auto-lose.

I'll probably stick with mono green stompy since it's what I've been playing and know really well. Also, has a very good BO1 matchup against golos, which I assume will be popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've already made my peace with not doing well in the Win Every Card event, but I also have no idea what to bring. I haven't played a single game of constructed since before rotation, and I can't even netdeck since evvery good player is making and talking about Bo3 decks but the event is Bo1.

Thinking of just running a Field deck because I played them a bunch in July - early August so at least I know a lot of the deck, but I also kinda feel I should just run something aggro.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lagomorphic posted:

In about a year with the next fall set. This is the currently unknown set which will follow the M21 "Oops All Teferis" Core Set.

It's Zendikar.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Haven't played in about 6 months or so, but I'm not sure if the economy changed much. Is the best way to play for 0 bux still to grind wizard chores to get gold for best of one drafts to get gems to play best of three drafts?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Haven't played in about 6 months or so, but I'm not sure if the economy changed much. Is the best way to play for 0 bux still to grind wizard chores to get gold for best of one drafts to get gems to play best of three drafts?

Yes, but also set aside 3400 gems for a set mastery if you're going to play with at least some regularity.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

So what does a bant golos list look like, if I can't beat em might as well join em.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

mmkay posted:

Yes, but also set aside 3400 gems for a set mastery if you're going to play with at least some regularity.

So I heard about this but haven't interacted with it yet. This is basically like a reward doubler? For leveling during a season (or whatever it's called) you can get normal prize but also get Better Prizes if you have mastery for the set? It's retroactive too, so you can decide to buy in later?

How often are these masteries needed? To earn 3400 gems for free, it seems like I'd need to get full value off 4.5 gold drafts. So at least 25000 gold, which is 18 days assuming getting 1375 (750 for daily wins and either a 500 or 750 quest) per day. If it's 3 months or 6 months that's fine, but if it's monthly, that's rough. Which might be the point.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Magnetic North posted:

So I heard about this but haven't interacted with it yet. This is basically like a reward doubler? For leveling during a season (or whatever it's called) you can get normal prize but also get Better Prizes if you have mastery for the set? It's retroactive too, so you can decide to buy in later?

How often are these masteries needed? To earn 3400 gems for free, it seems like I'd need to get full value off 4.5 gold drafts. So at least 25000 gold, which is 18 days assuming getting 1375 (750 for daily wins and either a 500 or 750 quest) per day. If it's 3 months or 6 months that's fine, but if it's monthly, that's rough. Which might be the point.

Mastery Passes are for the set, so it's good until the new Theros set comes out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

axeil posted:

Any good ideas for this weekend in terms of decks? I'm debating just saying screw it and doing Golos Field because it seems like it has no truly terrible matchups and in a bo1 format where you can only lose once you need to minimize having matchups where you just auto-lose.

Mengucci has a list of four and also CF has added an MTGA export link finally :O

Some here too

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 5, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

axeil posted:

Pretty sure that golos field with the fae of wishes wishboard is the best deck in the format.

Being able to go over the top against any other durdley deck with the wishboard (although Jeskai fires is going to do the same thing) seems very powerful, and in the alternative, a 1/4 flyer for 2 mana seems really good against aggro decks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I loving hate golos field/wishboard so much

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

zoux posted:

Mengucci has a list of four and also CF has added an MTGA export link finally :O

Some here too

I get that Bolos Field is regarded as the top deck lately but I feel like if I play it for this event without knowing how it works will just end up in losing more matches than what I'm currently using. By "knowing how it works" I mean actually piloting it myself; I don't want to learn on the job and then lose out on potential wins.

The RB knights is one of the decks I'm currently running. It's been decently reliable at my skill level. It's the same deck that was posted by her before Eldraine came out so I'm surprised it didn't get updated. Myself (a not great player) found better success with more black Castles (3 total) since I found myself wanting for card draw at times with a ton of lands on the board with nothing to play with. I dropped Midnight Reapers; I didn't like them. I know that I mentioned card draw previous to that statement but it just felt too slow. I swapped in Oathsworn Knights; they're great for stalling/defending and they survive board wipes that are damage-based. Lastly, I've enjoyed Fires of Invention. Sometimes I'm almost unsure of if it's a good choice but I've never really regretted it. It is extremely nice for being able to plop down two Knights and then also spending a ton of mana to boost Ebon Knight to +6/6 or Castle up for extra cards--which wouldn't be possible otherwise.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 5, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What about turn 3 Ravens in a Golgari shell

Edit whoops wrong thread but I will leave this here as an exercise for the reader

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I'm really surprised I don't see more rampy food lists running Feasting Troll King. You can often cheat it out really quickly with Castle Garenbrig + a mana dork, and it then either soaks a lot of removal, kills multiple critters, or kills your opponent. Most lists seem to just make do with Krasis as their only top end.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Troll King seems really good and basically means that you have a permanently indestructible giant wolf in G

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
They really gated a ton of great cards behind rares and mythic rares this expansion. Every list I've been seeing has like a minimum of 16 new Eldraine rares which either means they're all super powerful cards or the Ravnica block was just that much trash.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Sean posted:

I get that Bolos Field is regarded as the top deck lately but I feel like if I play it for this event without knowing how it works will just end up in losing more matches than what I'm currently using. By "knowing how it works" I mean actually piloting it myself; I don't want to learn on the job and then lose out on potential wins.

The RB knights is one of the decks I'm currently running. It's been decently reliable at my skill level. It's the same deck that was posted by her before Eldraine came out so I'm surprised it didn't get updated. Myself (a not great player) found better success with more black Castles (3 total) since I found myself wanting for card draw at times with a ton of lands on the board with nothing to play with. I dropped Midnight Reapers; I didn't like them. I know that I mentioned card draw previous to that statement but it just felt too slow. I swapped in Oathsworn Knights; they're great for stalling/defending and they survive board wipes that are damage-based. Lastly, I've enjoyed Fires of Invention. Sometimes I'm almost unsure of if it's a good choice but I've never really regretted it. It is extremely nice for being able to plop down two Knights and then also spending a ton of mana to boost Ebon Knight to +6/6 or Castle up for extra cards--which wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Watch a couple videos or make a dummy account during the event and give it a shot.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah I run Troll King in my cat-oven deck. I once had a player burn big Chandra to take him out when I had an oven still untapped. They conceded once they realized they had essentially traded their big threat for a single food token. I'm not convinced it's better than Wolf but it's good for what that decks doing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Doltos posted:

They really gated a ton of great cards behind rares and mythic rares this expansion. Every list I've been seeing has like a minimum of 16 new Eldraine rares which either means they're all super powerful cards or the Ravnica block was just that much trash.

I don't think the Ravnica blocks were trash. I don't have any math to back this up, but it does feel like the number of good commons/uncommons in Eldraine are significantly lower than previous blocks. Every new playable card is a rare basically except for memey stuff like the Clover.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
4-1 with this deck, aggro ain't dead

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

it isn't dead but looking at that list, it sure isn't healthy lol.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Arglebargle III posted:

Just need Legion's End but for nonbasic lands with non-mana abilities.

It would not be a bad idea for the Sowing Salt cycle to be evergreen in Standard. Change my mind.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

JerryLee posted:

It would not be a bad idea for the Sowing Salt cycle to be evergreen in Standard. Change my mind.

LD = feelbads

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ponza being a deck would definitely sow a lot of salt

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

An opponent running a deck with a million lovely elementals and token creatures stole my midnight reaper with mind control. I managed to cast ritual of soot while he was tapped out and he took like a billion damage from all his creatures dying because he had my reaper lol.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don't know if it's strictly better or worse than the normal builds, but the Jeskai Fires decks that run the maindeck wishfairy + wishboard is really tickling my attention. I had some guy just move a game out of reach for me by wishing for Planewide Celebration, a card that I have literally never seen anyone cast ever before.

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 5, 2019

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1180573425896689664

:argh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

First scripts LEAKED

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Bullshit! screamed Urza as Yawgmoth top decked his 5th removal in a row

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

control players werent hugged enough as children

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

People who complain about deck archetypes wear Overwatch flatbrim caps

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just wanted to pop in and say that Revenge of Ravens is goddamn ridiculous in limited. Especially if you manage to pull more than one.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Also: I played Mono-U in a paper draft last night and I would like to say: In that deck Vantress Paladin is a Phantom Monster and it is awesome.
Also pulling Brazen Borrower P1P1 and Emry P2P1 is great.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Getting both Cavalier of Dawn and Ajani in M20 draft felt unfair, I think the bots may have turned away from white a bit too hard. Easy 7-1 Orzhov draft.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I put a fun-of Mystic Sanctuary into Esper Stax and it has honestly overperformed every single game. Regrowing a Dance is tremendous in the Mirror or Control match-ups.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

fadam posted:

People who complain about deck archetypes wear Overwatch flatbrim caps

rude!!!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
What all decks are you going with for the event? I think I’m going to go with green stomp; troll kings, wicked wolves, yorvo, henge, questing beasts, and mana dorks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

What all decks are you going with for the event? I think I’m going to go with green stomp; troll kings, wicked wolves, yorvo, henge, questing beasts, and mana dorks.

It's Bo1 so I think playing anything other than Golos or mono-b is a mistake tbqh

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

fadam posted:

It's Bo1 so I think playing anything other than Golos or mono-b is a mistake tbqh

You really think so? I’ve been winning with mono-g on ladder but maybe you’re right. What does the mono-b list look like? Is that cat pies or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

my god please ban land of the dead it is so stupid