Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yes, a "what, nobody else has pics up yet? ;)" is definitely a pointed critique of your team's work ethic as well as your own, and not a show of genuine interest in what you're doing under the guise of a gentle ribbing. Let's all unload vitriol on Dagen H in CSB's Bricknose thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dagen H is a shithead troll, please don't stop posting NEAI content, and do it when you're good and ready. Moving on...

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
NEFR owns and I really want to go and help you guys out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wrar posted:

NEFR owns and I really want to go and help you guys out.

You totally should. Somebody will have space for you to stay if you can make your way there. And there will always be work to do. I stayed at his place last year and because I became immediately and totally hooked got my own place for this year so I wasn't taking up room he needed for his team. CSB/CSBSpouse/SomebodyFromWork stayed with me and there was still more space to spare. Actual beds even. I was dorm mom like SiF's dad does for his place (keep people fed, etc....a lot easier for me to do because I'm driving up so I can take all the stuff).

Last weekend SiF said this is probably the biggest goon meet still happening, and he's probably right.

Finally got around to pulling out the pressure washer today to do gross decon on sweep porsche. I hadn't opened the hood until then.....

Also I should mention I loving trashed the air suspension this year. In fact I'm posting right now as a way to procrastinate on rebuilding the suspension air pump. The entire system obviously got contaminated - can't wait to see what the filters and piston ring look like. My box of check valves from Germany was supposed to show up yesterday but UPS has lost it so this is a a bit disappointing. Hopefully the pump makes it good enough to re-level the suspension because I have an alignment and wheel balance scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I genuinely like seeing everything that comes out of NEFR, no matter how long until it comes out. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Bed rebuild part II:

Plans are as follows:
1. Replace the deck, it's beyond shot.
2. Repair any rust that may be hidden by the deck
3. ditch the non functional 5 pin trailer connectors, replace with 7 pin
4. rewire the abomination of farm hacks at the rear bumper
5. install toolbox and gooseneck well lights
6. por and paint everything

Enter our friend the AirChisel:

front L channel rot:

mud caked into the C channel doing the truck no favors:

This loving wiring that has gotten on my nerves for the last 3 years:

Admittedly there's some of my own hacks in there as I've done the bare drat minimum to keep all the lights shining into the night.

More loving wiring. this is the 5 pin breakout for the gooseneck connector. Of course scotchlocks were used. I cut out 20" of the original harness and was still pulling corroded wires. *sigh*, replaced what was removed. If there's issues I'll junkyard a chassis harness in the future.

Front and rear angles cut off:

The gooseneck plate is welded to the frame on the ends, but not the sides. Fixing this.

:banjo:

New angle welded in:

more por:

I'll get the axle soon, man this stuff is messy as hell.

gooseneck 7 pin connector installed. Redundant ground paths as I don't trust the factory ford harness and nothing like having Surprise! no trailerbrakes. two 10GA wires ran to the cab for 12V supply and brake power. Note the small led for lighting.

toolbox lights:

Rear 7 pin, same scenario with the wiring. I left the hole from the original 5 pin connector for the eventual onboard air. I rewired basically everything on the tail-light side of the harness plug yet took no photos outside of snapchat.

Boards mostly cut:

Then stained..

while the stain dried the bed/boxes/sliders had two coats of black laid on.

Gotta paint the cab now.. dammit.

also coming soon:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Three things:
1) I love POR15.
2) Did you topcoat it with something UV resistant?
3) quit doing everything so much better than me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

Three things:
1) I love POR15.
2) Did you topcoat it with something UV resistant?
3) quit doing everything so much better than me.

1. Same. Gonna paint the entire underside of this fucker with this stuff, floor pans too.
2. Yup! Two coats of the finest implement paint with some Japan Drier mixed in.
3. It's only effort.. and beer. This project was split across the last 6-7 days in bite size chunks.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

this looks loving awesome

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm alright with a shitheap that won't move when the pedal is slammed down.
I'm alright with a vehicle that can at best be herded on the road.
But what absolutely can not be tolerated, is poo poo brakes.

The pad slap from last year? yeah it sucks. It's not good enough. Adequate, sure. but not great.

It'll stop. Once. Then they'll fade out. It cannot hold its heft on hills without a parking block. loving nope
Oh and gently caress me, the rustbelt hydroboost rears its ugly head, there's a seal leaking. Found a guy in socal that hand builds new boosters with Bosch poo poo since my only option is A1Cardone, and I'd rather cut the floor out and use my goddamned workboot rather than their poo poo. One has been ordered.

Threw genuine junk out back. Good enough for the drunks at the factory, probably good enough for me.

While it was apart, I went and got the proper axle socket for the hubs, and retorqued those to the recommended specifications. one hub was a little loose, Totally my fault for not getting the socket last year.

The rears are fairly easy. I spent maybe an hour on em. The fronts? haha.
The rotors are inboard. Which means taking the lockouts apart, and pulling the hub, then dealing with whatever shenanigans Dana and Ford hosed together.

RACE BRAAAAAKES
Motocrap rotors with EBC yellows.

These manual lockouts come apart super easy. One circlip on the stub axle, one on the hub. 2 or 3 of the lockout retaining screws are naturally stripped. In the lockout rocks, mud, and general farm contents was found.

Naturally the socket I had purchased to pull the hub didn't fit, too small. Adventure to the 3 parts stores nearby proved fruitful.
Press the lugnuts out, because of course they also retain the rotor to the hub.

Flip it over, then press the hub out, because it wasn't comin out otherwise.

This is where I realize that hey, now's a good time to replace that one lug stud that has been stripped for 3 years. Initial reading had me thinking that bolts held the rotor to the hub, and well this isn't that situation. Adventure out again to find lug studs. Nearly got hit by a car walking to the first store. Screw it. Lunch then ride to the store.

The best truck I own has two fuckin' wheels.

Bearings are nice. Repack em. New seals installed. Pressed the assembly back together.

this is actually the driver's side, such a mess was made that there are no pics

Done!

Onto the driver's side:

This side went super smooth, despite more poo poo being wrong. The hub is clearly aftermarket with the loose tolerances to the rotor, and the hub seal. My sneaking suspicion of the spindle bearing being worn out was confirmed. The axle circlip on that side is chewing the stub axle up too. Rather than try a parts store run for a third time, that's a future project with parts ordered online.

To give you an idea of how nasty this project is:

Driver's done!

yeah there's a socket cap screw missing. this lockout is janky too.

Bonus:

Replaced the gooseneck ball with one that had a raised shank. This was fun

C-channel you can't get sockets into. Torqued down to 4/3 hulks plus 30 years of "rust".

Airchisel and welder save the day again.

Drop the new ball in like so:

And use a sufficiently long piece of 1/8" thick stainless tube to torque it down.

What's next?
whatever broken hardware is in the lockouts need to be fixed.
Electric brake controller install
digital dash gauges suck, both in hardware and software, this needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. (there's some crap paccar gauges on my desk.. maybe? gotta learn how to manufacture gauge faces).
spindle bearings for the Driver's side stub axle
New hydroboost
Probably should go through the cooling system, Thermostat/coolant pump are original to the truck. Coolant is now 3 years old and is at the end of its service life. A filter would be nice but probably dumb given how much sediment there is in everything else on this truck.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Continues to be the best project thread in AI.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Blacknose posted:

:agreed:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Blacknose posted:

But if every single part is replaced, is it still the same project?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The Project of Theseus

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

It only ceases to be a project when you stop working on it.

And since it's a Ford it'll always be a project.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yay inboard brakes

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

It'll be a new bricknose with a warranty!

StormDrain posted:

It only ceases to be a project when you stop working on it.

And since it's a Ford it'll always be a project.

This truck is a never ending project with a 3 page list of poo poo to do. At least now it's getting into piddly poo poo and going over prior repairs.
It doesn't bother me giving it a rolling restoration with some fun mixed in. At some point we're gonna buy a piece of land and it'll get used to build it out. It'll earn its keep then.

Charles posted:

Oh yay inboard brakes

bah. They weren't so bad. But I've been desensitized by 80s Hondas and Nissans. The new brakes do rule though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

90s Hondas, thankyouverymuch. :colbert:

(90-97 Accord :argh:)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

What's next?
whatever broken hardware is in the lockouts need to be fixed.
Electric brake controller install
digital dash gauges suck, both in hardware and software, this needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. (there's some crap paccar gauges on my desk.. maybe? gotta learn how to manufacture gauge faces).
spindle bearings for the Driver's side stub axle
New hydroboost
Probably should go through the cooling system, Thermostat/coolant pump are original to the truck. Coolant is now 3 years old and is at the end of its service life. A filter would be nice but probably dumb given how much sediment there is in everything else on this truck.

Still waiting the hydroboost unit. Tekhonsha P3 installed. There's a 800W inverter laying around so I'll probably add this to the list too..
Finished painting the chassis as well.

Sent it off to a bodyshop which spent ~3 weeks banging the dents out then painted it.

edit: Compared to 3.5 years ago:

quote:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 5, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What the.......holy poo poo that looks good.

This whole thing escalated rapidly.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
hell yeah.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
poo poo yeah. Nice work!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I don't know if I like this cleaned-up, new-look Donkey...

Still though, best project thread keeps on delivering!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:haw:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Gotta admit that the paint job coming out of nowhere surprised me, but it looks great!

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Long live the Donkey!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Onto some minor fixes. The belts that were put in sometime in 2016 have now dryrotted, so those need to be renewed again. When dildo the paint sniffer painted the truck he lost a lot of the fasteners then put self tappers or nothing at all in its place. generally, he just screwed the pooch. At least it's nice from 10' now. I'm slowly fixing his fuckups while staying somewhere between calm and blind rage. The regulator for the alternator is intermittently not working. Being an original part of the truck, eh whatever. While loving with the regulator I asked hubby to hit the starter, of which a shower of sparks from poor connections at the battery terminal greeted me..... more projects.

Look at this dicknuggets' fine work:

Ok so no big deal, sure it sucks, I'll just drop some rivnuts in and it'll be all fine.

Nah, he drilled one light so far off, the hole is exposed. Remember from 2017 and the structural panel adhesives? Mixed up a small batch, sealed over the holes, then painted over it.

rivnuts in, epoxy is setting. He was also kind enough to color match the bulbs.

New lenses and stainless hardware. (The spotting is soot from the recent fires)

More in this area, the driver's side vent window seal screams like a banshee now. It's beyond infuriating to drive on the highway. Door panels need new clips (again). The window tracks had no hardware. The headlights and grille had most of the hardware missing. Luckily when I hit the yards I stockpile the poo poo outta fasteners. (I need to go again now). The seats, door panels, dash, and windows, chrome trim, and bed were all hit heavily by overspray. I was able to fix the glass, bed, chrome, passenger door card, and the dash. The driver's door card will need a repaint and the seat will need a redye. It's broken anyway so my fucks are low here.

Two or three weeks ago one of the drum slack adjusters got turbo horny and got the right rear hot. Too hot. Hot enough I'm quasi looking at disc-brake 14 bolts... The new hydroboost unit is *somewhere*. Probably a higher chance of discovering antiprotons in my garage than that fucker at this point. My rope with this fucker is wearing pretty short, and it is doing everything it can to shorten it.

Onto the starter cable project.

This terminal is about shot and I don't really like the idea of having 36 things crammed on a terminal. To replace this terminal is to replace everything. Yeah whatever its 30 years old at this point and owes me nothing. 2/0 and 1/0 will replace the main connections here.

There's almost no space for a distribution block. The truck could also really use a power disconnect for the GP system in the event the relay arc-welds itself on. It'll also get a main disconnect for the truck itself. This all takes room. Room that isn't available at this battery's location.

The coolant/washer bottle was relocated again. I've not been proud of the lovely aluminum bracketry anyway.

With a piece of L- plate there's now ample room to build out the power distribution system. It also will give the truck some room for airconditioning and potentially a new intake.

The new bracket is a piece of flat strap welded to the battery support. Much cleaner than the old aluminum S bars.

Parts on order, more soon..

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

It's so beautiful. It makes me feel bad for neglecting my obs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Lots of problems, but also lots of fun.

You going to do a distribution block or something fancy instead of just bolting a hojillion accessories to that positive terminal?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Lots of problems, but also lots of fun.

You going to do a distribution block or something fancy instead of just bolting a hojillion accessories to that positive terminal?

Yeah I'll put a 4 post distribution block on a mounting plate. I don't want a bunch of electrical components bolted to the inner fender, or to the fender itself. With a blowout or something of the like, it can tear all of the electrical out if it's bolted to the inner fender like it is now. Mounted to the fender it takes up valuable space and can potentially get in the way of the hood lift spring. That battery terminal looks awful with a hojillion things bolted to it. The starter solenoid on the fender is just as bad. That's a factory approved method no less. That solenoid isn't really even needed as it powers the solenoid coil on the starter. It's a similar solenoid for the GP system so I leave well enough alone.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
New regulator fixed the charging system. Belts done.

Tried to order them and the regulator on rockauto, belts got denied for dumb prop65 non compliance. Ok whatever it's an old american truck I'm pretty sure I can just get em at Napa or Oreilly. Sure can, on special order, and for $115. hahahaha. Amazon'd em.

holy gently caress the hydroboost unit finally arrived, and it looks awesome.

CNC made pedal pushrods to the left, custom cut adapter plate that uses a generic GM booster. Pushrod depth set for the 15/16" master that's in this truck.

Old and busted:

I can split the body and reseal it for about $30. It doesn't address the dead accumulator that cannot be procured. I could drill it for a high pressure valve and refill it using inert gas. eh. My husband rides in this thing. I'd rather not turn a key component of the braking system into a hack.

Onto the lousy stubaxle bearing:
You can see the torn seals resting on the stub here.

Nasty half shaft.

The circlip has worn its guide down some and the area where the bearing rides is relatively worn. It'll be fine for now. When 4wd is used more than once a year I'll consider loading a blunderbuss full of parts and firing it at the axle.

The offending bearing:

Surprisingly intact however very contaminated.

Not a single project fought me today, odd. The trans felt kinda lovely and vague on the test drive. Found the shifter bolts had backed out partially. That'll do it! Funny thing, it had dried up red loctite, but nowhere near where the threads engaged.

Wiring stuff should be here this week, hopefully the weather will allow me to get to it before xmas vacation starts.

Made some progress on the micropython/pycom front, gonna start working on interior instrumentation in the new year.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
This is still such a good thread. The new hydro boost looks pretty slick.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I like your bottle of "Shitbox Oil 27W-68"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ran vacation without the new cables which was kind of hairy. Barely got it to start at 0C. Other than some human horrible mechanical failures the trip went without a hitch

Snow!
4 tons, 2wd with a turbo is a riot in the slush.

this fucker likes to dust some rims, jeez

Pretty much went east to Reno then south to vegas taking backroads. Large front came through and snowed just about every route home out. At the same time I had a tooth take a fat poo poo and called the trip early.
15 hours of this and finally made it home...

Onto some projects! I'm headed to KOH next week and this fucker needs to be ready to go. the rear u-joint at the axle has significant vibes, I'm finally gonna get off my rear end and cut/reweld the axle so the pinion angle is right. It's entirely my fault from not thinking of the pinion angle going from a regular driveline with a slipyoke to the double cardan shaft. Couple days of work and a fresh u-joint is a small price to pay to learn. The truck's starting system for sure won't play nice in the high-desert. I'd like to not resort to pulling it across the drylake to get it started.

These cables are kinda lovely but don't look that lovely.

Marine grade tinned replacement cables made up. For size reference the main lug is double aught and everything else is single aught.

Main power cable and both grounds in place. Also note the block >> chassis grounding. Both batteries ground to the front of the block.

busbar added, glowplug power disconnect, and main power disconnect in place. Later on i'll fab up a nice bracket to get this off the fender liner. Glowplug timer was relocated to its proper mount on the valve cover.
You're probably asking why in the hell I used shrink on all the power distribution connections yet didn't bother for the main lugs. The small cables aren't marine grade. I do have 4awg marine to rewire the winch, and until then didn't want to short future projects for the power distribution. The originals were poo poo tier cable, exposed and still lasted 30 years.

unimpressive 12C start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoLCZqNgfWM

main disconnect action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Je5Fyy_PQ

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

NSFW this please. Goddamn, beautiful work.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Awesome work as always.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Holy poo poo the donkey is lookin’ fine.

I mean maybe not as fine as that nightmare fuel I stumbled into last night in the Cosmo, but drat CSB your truck is the best.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Isn’t there a coolant filter that goes behind the alternator? I might have missed what happened to it. It always seemed kind of odd that it was needed in the first place, I get it cavitation is bad, but adding a filter and additives rather than make an engine that doesn’t cavitate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys

rdb posted:

Isn’t there a coolant filter that goes behind the alternator? I might have missed what happened to it. It always seemed kind of odd that it was needed in the first place, I get it cavitation is bad, but adding a filter and additives rather than make an engine that doesn’t cavitate?

That's where the fuel filter was. It's not needed anymore. I do plan to copy every medium/heavy duty/mining equipment cooling system and put a coolant filter there.