Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my halberd is hitting for 1k while the similarly upgraded and equip for hammer is doing 700 and what is even going on halberds

calm down!!

queenslayer is also the best code by far given it has the suicide pact unique to it, which is annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gamerofthegame posted:

my halberd is hitting for 1k while the similarly upgraded and equip for hammer is doing 700 and what is even going on halberds

Weapon balance is, in the fine tradition of the Souls series, hosed up. The Black Saber, for example, is simply a straight up worse version of the Machete in every respect, even if you go all in on STR with the Saber, and the Argent Wolf Blade is the hands down best sword out of all of them (unless you're MND stacking with Iceblood).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

it's a very surreal souls game where the dex builds are best

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
whoever designed the code vein zweihander loves the DaS1 zwei as much as I do

maybe it's not actually busted but it sure feels real good

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

whoever designed the code vein zweihander loves the DaS1 zwei as much as I do

maybe it's not actually busted but it sure feels real good

It's the only weapon in the game that I know of that hits 100 block against every physical type if you use Fortification on it. It's probably the godliest STR two-hander for that reason alone.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really wish you could view a full vestige story in one go or get an option to 'continue' at the door instead of more load screens.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's a very surreal souls game where the dex builds are best
smh at this guy who never used chaos blade to steamroll the latter half of ds1

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hmm the Executioner seems like it'd better than the argent wolf blade

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also I know it's supposed to be a style thing I guess but all the icons look like placeholder art and it bugs me.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also I know it's supposed to be a style thing I guess but all the icons look like placeholder art and it bugs me.

Not a huge deal but same. I noticed a lot of the items have kind of dark soulsey descriptions, meanwhile being a line art lightning bolt or a nested square.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Ibram Gaunt posted:

imo the funniest placeholder thing is that in the PC version the game didn't have its own icon on the first day or so and just had the Unreal Engine one haha

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think the way they should have done it would be to make saving them a dialogue choice with the attendant outside, and then play an extended saving cutscene instead, rather than the 'normal' scene with the saving bolted on the end.

The whole "immediate revival" bit is what dampens the impact. If you had to work for it by finding memories scattered across later levels (or better yet, piece together memories of that personal from the memories of the other npcs that know them) then it would be much more dramatic when you revived them. I guess that would interfere with their "one blood code or the other" reward scheme though.

I found the memory stuff across the story to be disappointing because the premise is so good but all they did with it were randomly scattered memory bits hidden behind boxes and vignettes sappier than a upstate New York autumn. Imagine if they'd really delved into the extent to our memories construct our current selves or how the incorporation of other's memories can drive someone mad. Maybe instead of just random memory bits lying around, have the themes of those memories incorporated into unique mutations of the Lost who picked them up. It's so rich there's thousands of different ways they could have tied it more tightly with the games themes.

Gamerofthegame posted:

calm down!!

queenslayer is also the best code by far given it has the suicide pact unique to it, which is annoying

You can't go solely by the numbers because weapons often have different move sets and per-hit scaling across combos (as in motion values in Monster Hunter). Hammers also stagger significantly more, though I'll agree that they feel under-powered compared to halberds, especially when you factor in their ridiculous weight.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 6, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
now that the hype has died down, how is the PC port, and how are M + KB controls

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Vermain posted:

Perhaps more importantly, it also affects Swift Destruction from the Hephaestus blood code, which grants +10/15/20% damage for slow/medium/quick to everything. There's a strong incentive for casters to always stay at quick (although you're likely to be using light armor and a bayonet, anyways).

Out of curiosity, does that only count for your actual mobility, or does Final Journey forcing you into light count for the buff.

Because if so :getin:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BisbyWorl posted:

Out of curiosity, does that only count for your actual mobility, or does Final Journey forcing you into light count for the buff.

Because if so :getin:

Final Journey definitely counts, and I think haste does too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

eonwe posted:

now that the hype has died down, how is the PC port, and how are M + KB controls

The PC part has been great for me so far, not a single issue with it. Runs at consistent 100+ FPS with my old rear end processor too.

I have no idea about the kbm controls though

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

eonwe posted:

If you could play ds3 or sekiro with mkb you will have no issues with this game, everything is rebindable and feels right for the most part. The only limitation I've seen so far is you can't walk(to sneak behind enemies) the normal way. The work around is to lock on the enemy and hold block button while moving. On the other hand the game allows you to bind 8 different active skills to different hotkeys which works better with m+kb imo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really wish you could view a full vestige story in one go or get an option to 'continue' at the door instead of more load screens.
I'm just glad you can actually skip them them with Start. Turns out the game treats them exactly as what they are: an interactive cutscene.

That's actually kind of cool and I appreciate that the game thought to do so.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I’m playing on the PC and have run into a few bugs. Elevators sometime take up to 2 minutes to start after stepping on the button, and twice in the home base I’ve been stuck in a conversation. Like I talked to someone in there and when I went to leave the conversation I could only turn/spin, not walk away.

Other than those though it’s been pretty stable with no crashes. I have been playing with an xbone controller, playing this kind of game with a keyboard and mouse would break my brain.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rock solid for me, PC, keyboard and mouse. Equal or better kb+m controls compared to DkS3

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Fwiw the requirements for the best ending + bonus scene: you don't have to bring a companion at all to the end even though the story heavily advises it. I purposefully left some vestiges unrepaired and finished the game under the first half of the best ending requirements, and that worked out but didn't give me the best ending exclusive blood code. Then reloaded, repaired all the vestiges, and finished the game again and that gave me the bonus scene + best ending blood code.

I think that's the way to go if you want to shave one play through from getting the all endings trophy.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The only issue I had with the PC version was my character skating across the ground in the tutorial area, which I fixed by changing the FPS cap to 60 from 144.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I want to like this game but I just dont. I love the character customization but that's about it.

I'm currently stonewalled by invading executioner. It has some dash move that does much more than my full health, comes out almost instantly, has a deceptively large hit box, and seems to ignore blocking. Also there's a really lovely slow status effect. Also you can't heal worth poo poo in this game it seems.

I recently finished bloodborne and Nioh in the last month so getting good should definitely not be a problem for me. I feel like this boss is just really lovely.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The Skeleton King posted:

I want to like this game but I just dont. I love the character customization but that's about it.

I'm currently stonewalled by invading executioner. It has some dash move that does much more than my full health, comes out almost instantly, has a deceptively large hit box, and seems to ignore blocking. Also there's a really lovely slow status effect. Also you can't heal worth poo poo in this game it seems.

I recently finished bloodborne and Nioh in the last month so getting good should definitely not be a problem for me. I feel like this boss is just really lovely.

that boss is significantly harder than basically every other boss in the game, comparative to when you can meet her; if that's the first boss you've run into since the opening try exploring other paths, there's other areas you can go to get stronger and get more gear/loot

it's definitely not just you though, that boss is extremely rude

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You're not the only one who dislikes that boss. They tend to be rather hit and miss. Try taking her on with a partner, having two guys for her to switch between makes it really a lot more survivable.

Blocking in this game is just generally not very good unless you specifically spec for it. Try to get Quick mobility instead, the quickstep dodge really helps with these kinds of fights.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I believe you should also get access to the Slow Removal gift before the fight. If you don’t have that slotted, it’s a huge help (when you aren’t one-shot).

E: It's especially useful for helping your companion not get pounded into dust when they accumulate enough slow.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 6, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

miku is a good wake up call on how this game approaches boss design and how most of them go;

she'll swing twice and both hit like a truck
she will explode with a fancy SFX charge up
she'll have a move to hit you over there, which in this case is a charge over a shot (Twice, cuz she's rude.)
and she has some special unique thing, which in this case is her pole dance of peril
also she has a long weapon and is quite able to swing behind her even if you dodge in time

Blocking works much like it did in Dark Souls, really, where if you don't have full block you'll still take chip damage and bosses hit hard. Except it's rather rare to get full block, so you're better off dodging.

The bosses all largely have obvious tells, so if you see them tweak out just dodge. Miku just hits especially hard.

Bring Yakumo over Louie, too, cuz the boy is useless.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Blocking works much like it did in Dark Souls, really, where if you don't have full block you'll still take chip damage and bosses hit hard. Except it's rather rare to get full block, so you're better off dodging.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Hunkering behind a shield is a possible tactic in this game, but not something you can just rely on all the time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually thought poledancer miku was one of the more fun bosses. She is hard though

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've died so many times to going for a dodge and instead picking some shiny up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe I was overleveled (was level 35 with a +4 queenslayer) but I didn't have that much trouble and didn't bring any slow removal. I just kept swinging until she died.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

yeah when I first tried her I was maybe level 15 with a +2 weapon and she was also harder as a caster because being at range baits her to use that dash attack a lot

switching to big chonky sword made her a lot more manageable

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Levels go up really quickly in this game, if you aren't spending a lot of haze on high-level gifts or upgrading multiple pieces of equipment. I'm level 60 now at not even quite the end of the Cathedral yet, but the downside of that is that they really don't mean all that much, either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Merilan posted:

yeah when I first tried her I was maybe level 15 with a +2 weapon and she was also harder as a caster because being at range baits her to use that dash attack a lot

switching to big chonky sword made her a lot more manageable

Yeah every boss has a range they're easiest at and sometimes that's right in their face

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Careful about wearing really light veils too, those very light ones do drop your defense to one shot territory often I've found.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've been running the Lost Ogre Veil for the entire game and you can take like 5 hits without dying which is pretty manageable.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I found that I could get normal mobility with a fortified zweihander in Atlas if I do the reduced weight transformation on the lightest blood veil I can find

I still don't feel that squishy but Atlas has a lot of hp

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I found that I could get normal mobility with a fortified zweihander in Atlas if I do the reduced weight transformation on the lightest blood veil I can find

I still don't feel that squishy but Atlas has a lot of hp

Something very similar to this was my build for the final boss so godspeed

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That cathedral zone really overstays it’s welcome. I wish it had been about half as long as it was. Then there’s a half-hour long cut-scene.

The game and cutscenes are much better after switching the language to Japanese with English subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat it just now and got the Good ending. The world had some interesting stuff going for it, and I enjoyed how the Queen like, stayed dead before the game began and wasn't the final true antagonist or whatever even if the whole relic thing was a major plot point. But I feel like they kinda stumbled elsewhere, Cool world building, but they weren't able to execute or show it off very well.

So with that little teaser monster you see in one of the cutscenes near the end...
The B.O.R. is just a form of Aragami right? That monster from the outside is the same one from God Eater. I doubt the DLC will have any real 'postgame' story content (I'm guessing it'll add more depths maps and that'll be it) but I hope a sequel just says gently caress it and fully combines both games worlds.

I also got the impression that people had been stuck in the city for decades but given that there's a human scientist who worked with Silva during the operation I guess it hasn't really been that long, unless he was meant to be really old but his model didn't seem like it.