Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So given the chapter naming convention and what Eren says at the end can it be inferred that Ymir was the one subconsciously pulling the strings for the events to happen? Like Eren was the one that fit the pieces together but ultimately it was Ymirs will?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
This is a weird adaptation of Chrono Cross.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So given the chapter naming convention and what Eren says at the end can it be inferred that Ymir was the one subconsciously pulling the strings for the events to happen? Like Eren was the one that fit the pieces together but ultimately it was Ymirs will?
It could be theorized that the 9 titans all took characteristics from Ymir, her titan form, and what happened to her, in which case the Attack Titan would be her subconscious wish and desire for freedom. It has the strongest connection to Ymir and the Paths, since it is able to see both into the past and future, to find a way for her to break free.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

To be fair to Zeke there's no way he'd know much about Ymir's nature or history. Presumably Eren's seen everything via his powers, but Zeke's likely still just barely grasping everything as it comes, since concrete information has been so difficult to come by. He's perpetuating the cycle of exploiting Ymir because he has no reason to know any better. His knowledge base is barely above thinking it's all crazy unfathomable magic. Most of the science/research seemed to only be done recently and in Paradis anyway.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Beefstew posted:

This is a weird adaptation of Chrono Cross.

There should be more, imo

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Wait did they gouge her eyes out, and then hunt her down with dogs? It’s hard to tell since they were doing Dramatic Flashback Eye-Shading.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Wait did they gouge her eyes out, and then hunt her down with dogs? It’s hard to tell since they were doing Dramatic Flashback Eye-Shading.

I think they gouged one eye out as part of the punishment.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I did like how all of the eyes were hollow/shaded until the very end when Ymir realizes she has a choice.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That's what I got out of it, since she could obviously see.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
And I suppose it was the Attack Titan in her which motivated her to free the pigs ?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

And I suppose it was the Attack Titan in her which motivated her to free the pigs ?

I read it as she was scapegoated by everyone around her and she willingly took the blame

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I thought the implication there was that she was just a scapegoat for the rest, because she was small and weak and the least likely to protest her innocence and try to blame someone else.

edit: beaten.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

I wonder if she had her tongue cut out like the people at the beginning of the flashback. That'd make it quite a bit harder to deny freeing pigs.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Nah, the blood is dripping down from her forehead: she must've hurt her head while running away.

Gibbering posted:

I wonder if she had her tongue cut out like the people at the beginning of the flashback. That'd make it quite a bit harder to deny freeing pigs.

All slaves had their tongues cut. You can see her standing in line behind the man having his removed.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

To be fair to Zeke there's no way he'd know much about Ymir's nature or history. Presumably Eren's seen everything via his powers, but Zeke's likely still just barely grasping everything as it comes, since concrete information has been so difficult to come by. He's perpetuating the cycle of exploiting Ymir because he has no reason to know any better. His knowledge base is barely above thinking it's all crazy unfathomable magic. Most of the science/research seemed to only be done recently and in Paradis anyway.

On the other hand, he did just hear Eren tell Ymir that she's not a slave and that she's free to chose, and he still commanded her to obey him.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

All she wanted for 2000 years was a hug. The attack titan is really the hug titan, prove me wrong.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

Saw a reddit post a long time ago that guessed the 9 titans were related to the 9 Norse worlds. Ymir entering that giant tree pretty much confirms it. "Yggdrasil supported by 3 roots" is a good parallel to the first 3 lights extending for Maria Rose and Sina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanaheimr

Vanaheimr is home to gods who can foresee the future so that's clearly the Attack Titan. Not sure what the other 8 are.

e: Diving into this a little more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragnar%C3%B6k

The fated Ragnarok is a good parallel to the Rumbling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%ADf_and_L%C3%ADf%C3%BErasir

Lif and Lifprasir are the two survivors of Ragnarok who reproduce the world after Ragnarok. Maybe this is related to Historia and whoever her child's father is (probably Eren?).

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 5, 2019

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

All slaves had their tongues cut. You can see her standing in line behind the man having his removed.

:negative:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Presumably her tongue was regenerated after she gained the titan power. But her lack of speech might be further evidence that she really internalized her servitude.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Presumably her tongue was regenerated after she gained the titan power. But her lack of speech might be further evidence that she really internalized her servitude.

I mean, if her tongue was cut before or while she was learning to speak, she was probably never really taught how to really speak for real

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 6, 2019

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Isayama is good at setting things up, huh?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
What would you call this expression, fatalistic horror?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Revelation.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

so what is going on there on pages just before it cuts to the walls again? Zeke pulling heads off? The spine thing is interesting.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Peacoffee posted:

so what is going on there on pages just before it cuts to the walls again? Zeke pulling heads off? The spine thing is interesting.

That's Zeke catching Eren's head, the event that triggered this whole thing. The spine thing is presumably Ymir regenerating Eren's spinal cord so he doesn't die.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Peacoffee posted:

Ymir grows Eren a new spine to his body, their little memory jaunt happened in an instant so its still the same second as when Zeke caught his head to begin with.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Peacoffee posted:

It's a jump back to reality, which had been stuck at the instant Eren's head (which had been shot off by Gabi's anti-materiel rifle) made contact with Zeke's hand.

Presumably using the power of Ymir, in a flash Eren's head was reconnected back to his spine, which then got pulled out of his body as he began transforming into a titan so he could survive.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

RatHat posted:

That's Zeke catching Eren's head, the event that triggered this whole thing. The spine thing is presumably Ymir regenerating Eren's spinal cord so he doesn't die.
gently caress I can't wait to see this poo poo in the anime. I can just imagine what it's gonna look like and it's metal as gently caress.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When it cuts back to Gabi, we see she's still falling over from the recoil of the rifle, so the amount of time it took from her pulling the trigger to the Apocalypse was maybe half a second.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There are lots of small touches you can appreciate, like Zeke looking very similar in some pages to King Fritz, with the beard. That's not by chance, It's a way to reinforce visually how the Zeke's orders weren't so different than the first King.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Looking back at everything even the giant trees make a whole lot of loving sense now

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is also interesting that Ymir herself was never eldian, she was a slave to the eldians

edit: this is the kind of stuff that makes problematic to draw comparisons between the eldians and real life persecuted minorities. The facts we are presented are: they really did oppressed and terrorized the world, and now we know they were like this from the start

edit 2: just to be clear: Im not saying Isayama is a fascist or meant this or that. What Im saying is that post-basement reveal, there was a lot of parallels draw between their situation and the situation of historical persecuted peoples, for obvious reasons. And we know persecuted minorities are often accused of horrible past or present crimes in order to be dehumanized, for the cruelty against them to be right and justified. And with eldians it is exactly like that, except that is all true: they ancestors are really guilty of horrible crimes and they are literally not exactly human

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 6, 2019

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is also interesting that Ymir herself was never eldian, she was a slave to the eldians

edit: this is the kind of stuff that makes problematic to draw comparisons between the eldians and real life persecuted minorities. The facts we are presented are: they really did oppressed and terrorized the world, and now we know they were like this from the start

edit 2: just to be clear: Im not saying Isayama is a fascist or meant this or that. What Im saying is that post-basement reveal, there was a lot of parallels draw between their situation and the situation of historical persecuted peoples, for obvious reasons. And we know persecuted minorities are often accused of horrible past or present crimes in order to be dehumanized, for the cruelty against them to be right and justified. And with eldians it is exactly like that, except that is all true: they ancestors are really guilty of horrible crimes and they are literally not exactly human

But even in that case, oppression is completely unjustified. Plenty of ethnic minorities persecuted today have a violent past if you go far enough; this doesn't mean that Hitler was right all along. Collateral punishment is always a bullshit excuse invented to freely persecute a group while still pretending to have a moral high ground.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The way I'm viewing it is that though they're all called Eldians now after 2000 years of bloodline dilution and cannibalism, the Children of Ymir have always been slaves to either the Eldian or Marley rulers. And children of today do not deserve their fate just because they are also Fucker King Fritz's descendants.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, the fact the titan part of their ancestry comes not from the original eldians, but from a slave, and it was mixed with eldian blood through rape and cannibalism complicates things further

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Looking back at everything even the giant trees make a whole lot of loving sense now

... wait does that mean the giant tree forests are literally titan trees? Might they all have an alien spine creature beneath them?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain_duck posted:

... wait does that mean the giant tree forests are literally titan trees? Might they all have an alien spine creature beneath them?

I dont think that is implied on any way. The titans didint come from Paradis, the tree Ymir entered was on the continent

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I guess it's possible Paradis could have been part of the continent two thousand years ago and only became an island afterwards. That's a pretty major geological change but in Attack on Titan everything's upside down and way bigger so...

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So one thing I'm not clear on, is the King shown in this chapter the one who makes anyone royal who inherits the Founding Titan become a pacifist and isolationist or was that a different king, like the one who moved the Eldians to Paradis in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Can you elaborate? I don't think they are anything other than cool feature Isayama wanted to put in Paradis island.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So one thing I'm not clear on, is the King shown in this chapter the one who makes anyone royal who inherits the Founding Titan become a pacifist and isolationist or was that a different king, like the one who moved the Eldians to Paradis in the first place?

King in this chapter is 2000 years in the past. The Pacifist king was ~120 years in the past.