Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wafflecopper posted:

Speak for yourself, I’m going all the way to 2-2

Well, almost! I went 1-2 with rakdos aggro after being on the draw every single game. Also didn't help getting one game against cats which either I'm playing badly wrong or is a really one-sided matchup. They always seem to have 1+ each of the cat and the oven in play by turn 2 and I have no idea how to beat that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ended up going 4-2 with a mono-Green stompy deck.

The best thing about that kind of deck is, you pretty much know exactly how the game's going to go by around turn 3 or so.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I'm gonna try an Izzet Draw 2 deck relying on Royal Scions, someone posted a version of it in the other thread

This is one of the worst decks in standard imo.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Round 7: Got to go first again against a weird Sarkhan USA Superfriends deck. Haven't seen the likes of that in a while.
Round 8: Red Aggro was on the play with the nut draw. I think I would've had that one were I on the play.
Round 8 Again: Simic Flash. I was one card away from a T2 Thought Erasure which would've cinched it. And actually all game I was basically one land away from doing what I wanted to, though that's what happens against tempo.

Got a Robber of the Rich, Wicked Wolf, Black Cauldron thingy, and a Dance of the Manse as prizes, though, so I'm pretty happy with it.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Went 8-2 in the event with that cfb simic ramp list - my two losses were to temur rec, of all things, and a close one to golos field that I'm pretty sure I just punted, but with my opponent having three fields of the dead on the battlefield if I couldn't win the next turn I was dead anyway. I beat golos field twice (really really close both times, amazing games), RB aggro twice, BG food stuff twice (one list was more of a token subtheme running loving inquisitive puppet), mono-red once and mardu knights once.

got 5 garbage rares, but had fun. I really like the borrowers in the list, they add a lot of interactivity to the deck and people really don't expect them, got some fun blowouts that way

tinaun fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 6, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Hammer Bro. posted:

Round 7: Got to go first again against a weird Sarkhan USA Superfriends deck. Haven't seen the likes of that in a while.
Round 8: Red Aggro was on the play with the nut draw. I think I would've had that one were I on the play.
Round 8 Again: Simic Flash. I was one card away from a T2 Thought Erasure which would've cinched it. And actually all game I was basically one land away from doing what I wanted to, though that's what happens against tempo.

Got a Robber of the Rich, Wicked Wolf, Black Cauldron thingy, and a Dance of the Manse as prizes, though, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice brother! I have yet to start but I hope I can get even close to this!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol the icr rewards aren't protected.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I went in having slightly adjusted my gates/field deck by trying to speed it up by putting fewer gates in.
I got splattered by Mono-G and Jeskai Fires in under 15 minutes.

I feel like human garbage now.
Even though I went 3-0 and finished first in both paper drafts I did this weekend.
Because that's who I am.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Invention decks are nasty

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Decided to go with my heart instead of my brain and registered UB Gargoyles because Dimir is my best friend

Wishboard is a bunch of removal, a couple bombs/value-cards, and some specific hate like Ashiok for Dance Manse Revolution decks, Stolen by the Fae for big dudes decks, etc. Biggest weakness is probably just Field decks, I was thinking of putting Revenge of Ravens in the Wishboard for it because it would be real funny but decided it was too cute.

Only played 1 game so far against some Sultai Oko list, he went first and got T3 Oko so I thought it was over but he did some kinda weird poo poo like making my Gargoyle that couldn't attack a 3/3 when he only had a 1/1 on the board and then not chumpblocking my first attack, so I actually got to remove his Oko without losing card advantage. Would likely have lost against an actual good player. Drew Fae of Wishes to win me the game.

E: Game 2, lost to mono-B aggro in the worst way. Completely shut down opponent, T5 he had a 1/1 and a 2/1 and 2 lands in hand (knew from Thought Erasure) against my 21 health, Gargoyle on the board and Murderous Rider + counterspell in my hand. I decided to be proactive and play out the Rider, he topdecks Rankle and just takes over the game from there as his Rankle draws are gas and I get absolutely useless cards.

E: 1 - 2, game 2 was even worse. I thought erasure, I see card I want to hold up counterspell for. I hold up counterspell and just...kinda mindlessly let the spell pass anyway? I'm not even sleepy or not paying attention, I have no idea why I let it pass on autopilot. We were kinda even if I countered it, got just completely blown out since I didn't.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 6, 2019

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I went 6-2 in the event with Jeskai Fires. The match where I got knocked out was a drawn-out shoving contest against Grixis Fires where I kept using Aether Gust and Teferi's -3 to send their Fires back to their hand.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I was playing Bant Golos and got knocked out of the event by a guildgate deck that drew Fae of Wishes for his Jace so he could mill himself of his last 5 cards to win. Along with Esper Doom, these types of decks make this standard format incredibly terrible and boring.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I went 6-2 with Jeff Hoogland's Temur Aggro

https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/iQ-lNZJjl

Very solid deck. Can be played in 1v1 (Nothing from the sideboard would've saved me from my losses anyways). Gives Arboreal Grazer more use with Oko and The Royal Scions. Really surprised the Scions card isn't used a lot it's great.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kanfy posted:

Sometimes you just find the right colors. Cuts are going to be tough for this one, I got like four Secretkeepers at the end and with the Lucky Clover they'd make for a pretty strong backup win condition. Plus they're like my only blockers unless I throw in a Crashing Drawbridge.

E: And 16 lands is probably enough for this curve, haven't touched them yet. Not sure why it defaults to 8-9 in a deck with 75% blue and 21% red.

(My mind tells me Ferocity should go but my heart says "but double damage fairy army")

This was a 5-0 by the way, not too shocking considering the card quality. Ended up leaving the mill plan to the sideboard with two Merfolks and no Clover. I think like four of my opponents were playing black but none of them played a single Revenge of Ravens of which I'm thankful.

I love pre-Ranked Trad Draft season, it's the only time when I ever actually make gems consistently.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Oct 6, 2019

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
So I've been getting dumpstered trying to do my wizard chores with the basic Ravnica decks for a while, but I do like the Dimir one. I was thinking of filling it out a bit with some more Surveil cards, but it seems that since I missed that season, the only way to do that would be to use Wild Cards or to buy packs? As there is no option to draft it right now? Do they come in and out, or has that just passed forever?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

So I've been getting dumpstered trying to do my wizard chores with the basic Ravnica decks for a while, but I do like the Dimir one. I was thinking of filling it out a bit with some more Surveil cards, but it seems that since I missed that season, the only way to do that would be to use Wild Cards or to buy packs? As there is no option to draft it right now? Do they come in and out, or has that just passed forever?

After M20 draft rotates out we'll probably get the Ravnica sets again (and eventually M20 too) for two weeks at a time. They shouldn't leave rotation entirely until the summer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just wanted to stop in and say good luck to everyone in the event. Unless you run into me, of course, in which case I hope you flood out horribly.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Just went 7-2 with the simic ramp deck. First game was a loss to a Boros aggro deck with the nuts draw (dreadhorde -> tenth district + gird -> tenth district + gird). Then won against Dance, some Izzet, some Golgari, another grindy Simic ramp, 2 mono reds (one cavalcade, one not), an Izzet phoenix, and finally lost to a Bant ramp.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 6, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

0-2, feels good man. Seriously though, I went in with rock bottom expectations and didn't spend a lot of time agonizing over picking a top tier deck, so it's nbd. Another rare icr wasn't going to change my life.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 6, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

drainpipe posted:

Just went 7-2 with the simic ramp deck. First game was a loss to a Boros aggro deck with the nuts draw (dreadhorde -> tenth district + gird -> tenth district + gird). Then won against Dance, some Izzet, some Golgari, another grindy Simic ramp, 2 mono reds (one cavalcade, one not), an Izzet phoenix, and finally lost to a Bant ramp.

Which one?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

The one in the Mengucci article on cfb.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TrampolineTales/status/1180843675829575681

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

*long, drawn out wet fart sound*

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Went 3-2 with a Mardu Knights aggro deck, which is better than I expected, but still a bit disappointing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OTSniE2drI

Basically this, but dropping one Skyknight Vanguard and one Order of Midnight for two Murderous Riders.

Got a Worthy Knight and an Oathsworn Knight as my prizes, so that feels appropriate. :shobon:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 6, 2019

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Sinteres posted:

After M20 draft rotates out we'll probably get the Ravnica sets again (and eventually M20 too) for two weeks at a time. They shouldn't leave rotation entirely until the summer.
Looking at the schedule, I think they might have ended the secondary rotating draft queue. It's just Eldraine for the foreseeable future.

I drafted GRN a few weeks back and I think Wizards' wait-time anxiety might have flared up again.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

Kinda tempted to play happily ever after since it's done pretty well against golos so far and does surprisingly well against aggro but I also wanna try out Kenrith without spending wildcards on him though I don't have a deck for that

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Funkdreamer posted:

Looking at the schedule, I think they might have ended the secondary rotating draft queue. It's just Eldraine for the foreseeable future.

I drafted GRN a few weeks back and I think Wizards' wait-time anxiety might have flared up again.

Doh. Well I didn't need those uncommon wildcards anyway.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm 6-0 atm and played til 3 in the morning but had to stop even though I'm streaking, time to go 6-2

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Went 2-2 because I ran into two aggro decks that had The Draw and I didn't have the answers. Still feel like playing aggro in an event like this is just being a spoiler cause there's no way you can Draw Well 12 games out of 13.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I lost two games to getting greedy with Castle Lochthwain.

Fun fact, Lochthwain literally means Lake Wagon.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Funkdreamer posted:

I bet they'll be back, people would get bored as hell just drafting one set for three months. They've even mentioned the possibility of doing historic drafts in the future, so it's hard to believe they'd just throw out standard drafts for everything other than the current set.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bo1 should at least be open decklist. It only works in hearthstone because you can tell what they're playing by their avatar, and they're very careful not to let multiple archtypes be viable in the same hero. It sucks when I thought I was playing a jeskai fires mirror match and it turns out they're playing jeskai 12 counterspells and I could have gone much more aggressive against them early or protected my teferis harder. This was only game 3 and my first 2 games were against aggro that got unlucky and then lucky.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just don't play bo1.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

fadam posted:

Just don't play bo1.

The big flashy event is bo1 which is what stoked the complaints again

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
7-2 with danse lost one to perfect aggro draw and the other to fields of the dead when I was 1 mana off Manse for a few turns and he tutored out an Ashiok with a fae. Honestly just good play by him.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I went 5-2 with sjow's list:

quote:

2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Cavalier of Flame (M20) 125
4 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
1 Drawn from Dreams (M20) 56
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
4 Fires of Invention (ELD) 125
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
2 Island (ELD) 257
2 Mountain (ELD) 265
2 Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer (M20) 68
4 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
1 Plains (ELD) 252
2 Ral's Outburst (WAR) 212
4 Sacred Foundry (GRN) 254
4 Sarkhan the Masterless (WAR) 143
4 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
4 Temple of Epiphany (M20) 253

1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
1 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
1 Devout Decree (M20) 13
1 Disenchant (M20) 14
1 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
1 Justice Strike (GRN) 182
1 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
1 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
1 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God (WAR) 207
1 Planewide Celebration (WAR) 172
1 Solar Blaze (WAR) 216
1 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
I never flooded, screwed, and went first against some bad decks so I can't guarantee anything. My last loss was to a legit misplay (didn't haste cavalier pre-combat so I skipped combat) so it could have gone further too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

barge posted:

Kinda tempted to play happily ever after since it's done pretty well against golos so far and does surprisingly well against aggro but I also wanna try out Kenrith without spending wildcards on him though I don't have a deck for that

Fires loves a Kenrith

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The big flashy event is a crap shoot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Royal Scions into Ral Zarek with Niv Parun and Ex/ex as a finisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Reality Sinner posted:

The big flashy event is a crap shoot.

Yea there's a reason why it's 12 wins 2 losses. It's a carnival game. You have to have insane luck and play to go 12-0 in a Bo1. I don't mind the stacked odds though it's a free event with decent rewards.