Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
u had ONE GOOD SHOW amazon!!! ONE!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
This is literally the only show on amazon prime I've ever cared about and if I didn't already have some weird grandfathered account with free prime I'd be cancelling that poo poo in protest.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
One really weird thing about this show is that everyone who watches it loves it but it still seems to be a niche show with a small audience.

I think Amazon really turbo-hosed the marketing on the show, partly by just not advertising it intelligently (there were some billboards?) and partly by the weird rear end release schedule that killed momentum.

Should've gone with just a normal episode a week release like What We Do in the Shadows.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's like they hosed to marketing the tick show in 2001, another good show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gotta make room for the Lord of the Rings prequel show that they're spending hundreds of millions of dollars on!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

scary ghost dog posted:

u had ONE GOOD SHOW amazon!!! ONE!!!!!!!
They did save The Expanse recently so I'm not sure how to feel about them at present.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tristesse posted:

This is literally the only show on amazon prime I've ever cared about and if I didn't already have some weird grandfathered account with free prime I'd be cancelling that poo poo in protest.
I have at least enjoyed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, The Man in the High Castle, Electric Dreams, (and soon) The Expanse, so it's not a total wasteland.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

JazzFlight posted:

I have at least enjoyed The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, The Man in the High Castle, Electric Dreams, (and soon) The Expanse, so it's not a total wasteland.

None of those are good enough to balance out The Tick being cancelled imo.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I dunno if I'm in the thread minority here, but I thought The Tick was good, but not great. It was rarely laugh-out-loud funny (if it was aiming to be a comedy) and the budget was obviously low in many scenes. A lot of the time the plot dragged and there were filler episodes, which is weird in a show with so few to spare. It gave me vibes of like a Telltale episodic game where they had to re-use assets and puzzles to save money.

IMO it was enjoyable and heartfelt at times, but not a top-tier show and it really seemed like it had cancellation written all over it when I watched.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if I'm in the thread minority here, but I thought The Tick was good, but not great. It was rarely laugh-out-loud funny (if it was aiming to be a comedy) and the budget was obviously low in many scenes. A lot of the time the plot dragged and there were filler episodes, which is weird in a show with so few to spare. It gave me vibes of like a Telltale episodic game where they had to re-use assets and puzzles to save money.

IMO it was enjoyable and heartfelt at times, but not a top-tier show and it really seemed like it had cancellation written all over it when I watched.

please dont post in my thread

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if I'm in the thread minority here,
you are

JazzFlight posted:

but I thought The Tick was good, but not great.
:mad:

JazzFlight posted:

not a top-tier show
:ssj:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
amazon acquisitions officer trolling the boards tryinh to do damage control......smh

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What really sets Tick apart from other comedy is that it's very heart-forward, loving, positive comedy. It never demeans or mocks, it always uplifts. That's *really* hard to do.

Ben Edlund is one of the best writers on television and the reason Supernatural got fifteen seasons. I still think that the "little wooden boy and the belly of love" is one of the top ten half hour television comedies ever written, right up there with the Tiny Town episode of Arrested Development but a decade prior.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I will agree that it felt more than a little drawn out at times, S2, more than S1, but it's still pretty great despite that.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I enjoyed S2 a lot more than S1, and I liked S1 alot.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Davros1 posted:

I enjoyed S2 a lot more than S1, and I liked S1 alot.

this

I went in expecting s2 to be alright, but man s1 had kinda set a high bar

but then it just... went ahead and cleared that bar like it was no big deal

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I still think that the "little wooden boy and the belly of love" is one of the top ten half hour television comedies ever written,

It is. That episode is crazy tight in terms of laughs-a-minute and overall cleverness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tristesse posted:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Pick posted:

It is. That episode is crazy tight in terms of laughs-a-minute and overall cleverness.

What I especially love about it is that it pulls off that almost magical sleight-of-hand trick you only see in the absolute best comedies, where a bunch of apparently random elements just crystallize out of suspension in the last moments of the show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm probably most impressed that they managed to make Dangerboat's backstory legitimately affecting and had you spending most of Season 2 desperate to see a lobster person get her family back

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
You all should give Patriot a try, the other good Amazon show (that's probably going to be cancelled too)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1129812483793809408

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tick tick tick tick

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/06/15/the-tick-cancellation-cant-find-new-home-end-series-creator-amazon/

No bites. Apparently it's the 22nd most expensive tv show of all time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ben_edlund/status/1139641899201904640

That's that :smith:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Azhais posted:

No bites. Apparently it's the 22nd most expensive tv show of all time

Jesus Christ. Like I love the show but it really didnt look like it had much of a budget let alone the fact it apparently cost $5 million for every half hour :|

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
god drat this black hole heart

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Just Chamber posted:

Jesus Christ. Like I love the show but it really didnt look like it had much of a budget let alone the fact it apparently cost $5 million for every half hour :|

The reddit thread about it said that this was "We'll fix it in post, the TV show". Like the Tick's suit had tons of seams they didn't want to show, so they had people fixing it digitally in every scene of every show rather than fixing things with wardrobe

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Azhais posted:

The reddit thread about it said that this was "We'll fix it in post, the TV show". Like the Tick's suit had tons of seams they didn't want to show, so they had people fixing it digitally in every scene of every show rather than fixing things with wardrobe

that explains why it looked so freaking good

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Azhais posted:

Apparently it's the 22nd most expensive tv show of all time

worth it imho

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Well that sucks.

In terms of the expensive production; also kinda not worth it since a short run time is one of the things that seemed to hold it back.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
One of the best shows I've seen in years. Now it's gone gently caress this gay earth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azhais posted:

Yeah, that'll spark a lot of overruns on per episode cost because they're basically patching up poo poo that should've just been reshot or done on the ground or just left unedited.

The reality of the show seemingly given a blank check to make it as good as possible is a temptation that any show that wants to go beyond a single season shouldn't have. At the end, we'll probably never know what really pushed the costs up so much, but it likely negatively impacted its chances of renewal.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
https://twitter.com/batdorkgirl/status/1140749762875969536?s=19

Cancel your Amazon.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

scary ghost dog posted:

that explains why it looked so freaking good

It looked good in the way something that was done on a small budget but stretched to make the most of it looks. To find it was almost the opposite is a bit disappointing. With that kind of money it becomes much harder to excuse the rough round the edges stuff like Arthur's flying scene looking awful.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Griffin Newman (the guy playing Arthur) said the effects budget for season 2 was like, 40% as much, this despite S2 looking way better. Sounds like it took them a little while to find their footing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

OrthoTrot posted:

It looked good in the way something that was done on a small budget but stretched to make the most of it looks. To find it was almost the opposite is a bit disappointing. With that kind of money it becomes much harder to excuse the rough round the edges stuff like Arthur's flying scene looking awful.

i meant the ticks s2 costume

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/serafinowicz/status/1180626957710614529?s=20

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
They should just take the cast and do an animated S3 at adult swim to make the long wait between venture brothers seasons bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Who should PFT have played in season 3?