Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So one thing I'm not clear on, is the King shown in this chapter the one who makes anyone royal who inherits the Founding Titan become a pacifist and isolationist or was that a different king, like the one who moved the Eldians to Paradis in the first place?

This is the first King Fritz, "2000 years ago". It was one of his most recent descendants who flipped and made the pacifist vow

It is the same the way, though, since they inherit the memories of all the previous titan holders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elias_Maluco posted:

This is the first King Fritz, "2000 years ago". It was one of his most recent descendants who flipped and made the pacifist vow

It is the same the way, though, since they inherit the memories of all the previous titan holders

If we assume most of the Founder holders before the pacifist king were treated more as servants to royal directives rather than true rulers in their own right, then the vow makes more sense as a sort of centuries long culmination of guilt as perfect memories of war crimes upon war crimes pile up.

It's not just the one Century King Fritz imposing his will on the modern royalty, it's the collective guilt of every single prior holder who had to personally mass-murder countless people in service to the Empire for nearly two millennia.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is also interesting that Ymir herself was never eldian, she was a slave to the eldians

edit: this is the kind of stuff that makes problematic to draw comparisons between the eldians and real life persecuted minorities. The facts we are presented are: they really did oppressed and terrorized the world, and now we know they were like this from the start

edit 2: just to be clear: Im not saying Isayama is a fascist or meant this or that. What Im saying is that post-basement reveal, there was a lot of parallels draw between their situation and the situation of historical persecuted peoples, for obvious reasons. And we know persecuted minorities are often accused of horrible past or present crimes in order to be dehumanized, for the cruelty against them to be right and justified. And with eldians it is exactly like that, except that is all true: they ancestors are really guilty of horrible crimes and they are literally not exactly human

I don't think there is any particular morale judgement or ideological stance from Isayama's part. He just took the realistic approach: 2000 years ago, there weren't 'good' or 'bad' guys, the ancient times were more cruel than the modern world, and warlords forging their small kingdoms and slavery was as common as the blue sky. Of course they used the titan to conquer their neighbors and gain power, the same as any other kingdom or empire would have done in their place.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Turin Turambar posted:

I don't think there is any particular morale judgement or ideological stance from Isayama's part. He just took the realistic approach: 2000 years ago, there weren't 'good' or 'bad' guys, the ancient times were more cruel than the modern world, and warlords forging their small kingdoms and slavery was as common as the blue sky. Of course they used the titan to conquer their neighbors and gain power, the same as any other kingdom or empire would have done in their place.

I mean, we absolutely can and should still judge the gently caress out of our distant ancestors for what they did, lest the severity of their crimes against humanity be downplayed and accepted "as a matter of course" or "that's just the way the world was then". Which is always whataboutist sophist bullshit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
:lol: if anyone's take away from this chapter was, "aha! Finally the manga has revealed who the true evil ethnicity is that we, the audience, are permitted to hate!"

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The story’s so strong on its own that you can’t help but ask “Why is it drawing parallels to these specific people and these specific events?” And it’s the one thing that hinders enjoying the series 100%. People are always gonna be extrapolating what Isayama means to say with his story since he set the pins up in the first place, especially when the best case scenario is “he’s using these elements to seem cool without considering the wider implications” and worst case is “He’s nazi”

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

TheHan posted:

The story’s so strong on its own that you can’t help but ask “Why is it drawing parallels to these specific people and these specific events?” And it’s the one thing that hinders enjoying the series 100%. People are always gonna be extrapolating what Isayama means to say with his story since he set the pins up in the first place, especially when the best case scenario is “he’s using these elements to seem cool without considering the wider implications” and worst case is “He’s nazi”

I like how "is considering the wider implications and also is not a nazi" doesn't even register as a possibility for you

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is also interesting that Ymir herself was never eldian, she was a slave to the eldians

edit: this is the kind of stuff that makes problematic to draw comparisons between the eldians and real life persecuted minorities. The facts we are presented are: they really did oppressed and terrorized the world, and now we know they were like this from the start

Have you considered that, over the course of 2000 years of history, the Eldians perhaps at some points had more benevolent rulers than Fritz, and more amicable relationships with their neighbors rather than unbridled aspirations of conquest and genocide?

Kruger's point stands: of course the saintly Ymir story was a fairy tale self-aggrandizing the Eldians, but if they had indeed engaged in a 2000-year campaign of genocide towards other peoples, why are there still Marleyans alive, today?

You're being very myopic and naive, and not just in the context of the series.

TheHan posted:

lmao

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

tweet my meat posted:

I like how "is considering the wider implications and also is not a nazi" doesn't even register as a possibility for you

Those popular idioms “best case scenario” “worst case scenario” and “medium case scenario”

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The only subhumans are us, the fans.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

TheHan posted:

Those popular idioms “best case scenario” “worst case scenario” and “medium case scenario”

I don't think these mean what you think they mean.

Unless your argument is that "people" (in which you are excluding those who are actually parsing the work correctly) are so moronic the best that could be expected from AoT's audience is all the connotations going over their head.

Which is also lmao

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 6, 2019

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't think these mean what you think they mean.

It’s ok to critically view the media you consume, friend. If you got a different reading from the Eldians wearing armbands and living in ghettos being retribution for crimes that we now see were definitely committed then let’s hear it.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 6, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Conspiratiorist posted:

Have you considered that, over the course of 2000 years of history, the Eldians perhaps at some points had more benevolent rulers than Fritz, and more amicable relationships with their neighbors rather than unbridled aspirations of conquest and genocide?

Kruger's point stands: of course the saintly Ymir story was a fairy tale self-aggrandizing the Eldians, but if they had indeed engaged in a 2000-year campaign of genocide towards other peoples, why are there still Marleyans alive, today?

You're being very myopic and naive, and not just in the context of the series.

lmao

Considering that each new king inherits the wishes and memories of all previous kings through the Founder titan, I find that unlikely. More likely is what Chameleon said above: guilt building up through generations of kings doing terrible things finally hitting the point where the king flips and makes a vow to stop all that

And yes, I guess it is possible to oppress a vassal nation for 2000 years and still don't wipe them all, specially if the goal was to enslave and explore them, not exterminate them (which they could have done on the beginning ,if that's what they wanted), I don't see why not. I any case, I think at this point is pretty much a fact that the eldian empire was indeed built in slavery, opression and terror (although they did also used the titan powers for building "bridges across mountains" and all those wonders Grisha reads about)

And again, I was just thinking of the implications of the numerous parallels that were draw between eldians and the jewish people, I really have no idea what the author had in mind nor I was drawing conclusions about the story itself

One thing that can be argued is that the marleyans didn't do any better when they got their chance

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 6, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

TheHan posted:

You described two bad scenarios, neither was a best case scenario.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheHan posted:

It’s ok to critically view the media you consume, friend. If you got a different reading from the Eldians wearing armbands and living in ghettos being retribution for crimes that we now see were definitely committed then let’s hear it.

Do you believe that the manga has adequately demonstrated that the Eldian ethnicity as a whole is jointly guilty of King Fritz's tribal war of conquest two millennia ago and that the Marleyan government is justified in forcing them to live in ghettos and in (quite literally!) dehumanizing them?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Schwarzwald posted:

Do you believe that the manga has adequately demonstrated that the Eldian ethnicity as a whole is jointly guilty of King Fritz's tribal war of conquest two millennia ago and that the Marleyan government is justified in forcing them to live in ghettos and in (quite literally!) dehumanizing them?

Who is saying that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets go to a real race of people for a second. Do people hate the Danish for being raiding vikings 1000 years ago. I can't think of people that do.

2000 years is a crazy long time, and we know Marley were not destitute slaves 120 years before the story started, if they where they would not have been able to become a world power right after the Eldian Empire fell apart.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
To be fair we know very little of how the eldian empire worked internally or how they threated their subjects. I was under the impression they were exploited an oppressed somehow, but yeah, in reality we dont have any facts showing it was like that or otherwise

I just don't think "if it was so bad how come so many marleyans are still alive " is a strong argument

We do know for a fact that they did had the power to terrorize and oppress everyone around and it seems like they are pretty much universally feared even more than 100 years after their empire fell (with the exception of that asian kingdom who Milasa is related to)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 6, 2019

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'd rather try and discern if or what Isayama was trying to parallel with some of AoT's symbolism after the story has concluded, because without knowing how Eren is gonna act to "end everything", it's hard to really be confident in any readings. Especially since the imagery is a bit all over the place and all.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

tweet my meat posted:

You described two bad scenarios, neither was a best case scenario.

Best scenario in this case. The objectively good case scenario is “this writer drew parallels while making their intentions clear, leaving no room for debate” or “this writer didn’t include this imagery”

Schwarzwald posted:

Thing is, I don’t think it’s done a very good job saying one thing or the other, which is the problem. Isayama set up the question of “Who’s really responsible for this?” And implies both sides had a reason for what they believed. At the same time he drew a whole dang lotta parallels to Jewish people and the holocaust and once you’re there you can’t really both sides that. Pinning the whole thing on one guy is marginally better but still doesn’t mesh with the real world parallels made, which is what makes me assume he’s using imagery without considering the wider implications, rather than actively malicious.

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
When is this thread ever going to learn that depiction does not equal to endorsement.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Depiction isn’t the problem, it’s why draw parallels to the Jewish at all? This is a fictional story about fictional people in a fictional world but for some reason he threw in this specific real world thing.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The entire point of this chapter is showing that "Eldia" is an artificial construct which everyone uses however they see fit. The shifters and the "Subjects of Ymir" were neither benevolent overlords, nor tyrants who conquered the world for their benefit – because they never had any agency. They were used as tools and weapons by the Fritz family, until one of the consecutive kings felt sad and decided his slaves deserve a collective punishment for the crimes of his family. He regretted their crimes so much that he brainwashed some of his subjects and used them to set up a new order with himself still on the top and left the rest on the mercy of the people his ancestors subjugated.

Ethnicity explicitly doesn't matter here – we saw Marley being ruled by an Eldian noble family and using the Subjects of Ymir in the same way as the Eldian Empire used to. There were never any independence movement that overthrow the oppressors and established a new country, the ruling class just divided their subjects between each other. The Empire never really stopped to exist, it just started to pretend it's something else and used its shed identity to keep its slaves docile. The entire narrative with the "devil race" or "benevolent race" is false, created for the benefit of the current ruling elite.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I believe you're probably right when it comes to using imagery without considering wider implications. Let's also consider that the "Jewish people" have Norse mythology AND visuals tied to them (King Dipshit wearing a "Viking" helmet, sup), and Marley is kinda sorta...Roman?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gantolandon posted:

The entire point of this chapter is showing that "Eldia" is an artificial construct which everyone uses however they see fit. The shifters and the "Subjects of Ymir" were neither benevolent overlords, nor tyrants who conquered the world for their benefit – because they never had any agency. They were used as tools and weapons by the Fritz family, until one of the consecutive kings felt sad and decided his slaves deserve a collective punishment for the crimes of his family. He regretted their crimes so much that he brainwashed some of his subjects and used them to set up a new order with himself still on the top and left the rest on the mercy of the people his ancestors subjugated.

Ethnicity explicitly doesn't matter here – we saw Marley being ruled by an Eldian noble family and using the Subjects of Ymir in the same way as the Eldian Empire used to. There were never any independence movement that overthrow the oppressors and established a new country, the ruling class just divided their subjects between each other. The Empire never really stopped to exist, it just started to pretend it's something else and used its shed identity to keep its slaves docile. The entire narrative with the "devil race" or "benevolent race" is false, created for the benefit of the current ruling elite.

I like this reading

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Depiction does not equal endorsement but creators do need to take care in how they portray certain things. Even the most blatantly obvious "this thing is bad" can be taken as the opposite depending on how it's presented. A good example would be neo nazis loving loving the imagery in American History X and how "cool" it makes pre-reformed Edward Norton look. This reveal does make me worry because it doesn't do a very good job of making the Eldians' persecution look unjustified from the point of view of someone who would buy into that in the first place. (I am NOT this person)

This falls into the same trap of "both sidesism" that Bishock Infinite did. (Vague spoilers for Bioshock Infinite) "Yes, this group of people are being unjustly persecuted, but are they not also capable of horrible things? REALLY MAKES YOU THINK, DOESN'T IT?"

Granted, this is doing a bit better of a job of that than Bishock Infinite did.

No one in this thread is saying that Isayama is a fascist who supports persecution of the jews, but we are saying that he's doing a clumsy job of distancing his narrative from those views. I've spent the last couple years telling people "No of course it's nonsense that AoT supports nazi ideology" and this reveal is going to make doing that harder.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eeehh, is it "both sidesism" tho? I think some of the things that are pretty clearly portrayed by the last few chapters are that the Children of Ymir are not to blame for what Eldia has done, their persecution by Marley is NOT justified and that Eren doesn't buy into either "peaceful genocide" or Ymir supremacy. IMHO, any reading that says the subtext implies the opposite of any of those things is completely ignoring the text, and isn't really worth engaging anyway.

edit: typed fast, wrote bad

Dias fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 6, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TheHan posted:

Thing is, I don’t think it’s done a very good job saying one thing or the other, which is the problem. Isayama set up the question of “Who’s really responsible for this?” And implies both sides had a reason for what they believed. At the same time he drew a whole dang lotta parallels to Jewish people and the holocaust and once you’re there you can’t really both sides that. Pinning the whole thing on one guy is marginally better but still doesn’t mesh with the real world parallels made, which is what makes me assume he’s using imagery without considering the wider implications, rather than actively malicious.

"Who's really responsible for this" is the wrong question to ask. The atrocities in Attack on Titan are shown to be the result of generations and generations of systemic problems compounding on each other. There is not single person or people who are "really responsible," no one could possibly be held accountable for that. Even King Fritz is presented as an unexceptional tyrant, like so many in history. He did not invent tribalism, slavery, or ghettoization*. There's nothing unique about him other than being in the right place at the right time.

Moreover, I think the manga, rather than setting up that question, is quite critical of it. The character who thinks the right thing to do is to discover the person really responsible is Gabi. She's a hurt child with a gun.

* (What these things have in common is that they are dehumanizing. The actual solution, according to the manga, is to recognize each other as people, like Eren does with Ymir.)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 6, 2019

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dias posted:

Eeehh, is it "both sidesism" tho? I think some of the things that are pretty clearly portrayed by the last few chapters are that the Children of Ymir are not to blame for what Eldia has done, their persecution by Marley is NOT justified and that Eren doesn't buy into either "peaceful genocide" or Ymir supremacy. IMHO, any reading that says the subtext implies any of those things is completely ignoring the text, and isn't really worth engaging anyway;

Yeah, the entire capstone of this sequence was this last chapter where it all comes to focus that its not a race issue, its entirely about the powerful vs the powerless.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

TheHan posted:

Depiction isn’t the problem, it’s why draw parallels to the Jewish at all? This is a fictional story about fictional people in a fictional world but for some reason he threw in this specific real world thing.

Because the ghetto image was powerful and it fit the story very well.

I mean, now you can't use the concept of ghetto and oppressed people because in real life there has been ghettos and oppressed people? Seems crazy to me.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The Eldians = Jewish imagery that he has made use of is dumb because jews are just normal people, without the ability to turn into giant meat monsters, whereas Eldians are. Making the comparison is troublesome because it implies that Jews might have deserved to be in camps since they could turn into WMDs with little effort. The whole thing is just Isayama going "how do I show these people are in a concentration camp? Star armband!" and never thinking about it again. It's an unnecessary comparison to make, considering that he never really went into the differences between the two situations.

Also, I kind of hope this manga ends soon. The time travel stuff is lame, because the situation made sense before it was introduced. I don't even see why it was necessary for him to go influence his dad like this, it all had viable explanations before. This stuff with Ymir is also kind of lame, and makes me wonder what the point was of almost everything post time-skip. If all Eren had to do to accomplish his mission (which he has apparently had set in stone since he touched Historia's hand) was touch his brother (why not Historia???), then why loving bother with any of this? All the intrigue about the tainted wine, Levi guarding Zeke, the revolutionists, none of it mattered. He could have just touched Zeke on the blimp ride over and gotten this over with.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Viridiant posted:

No one in this thread is saying that Isayama is a fascist who supports persecution of the jews, but we are saying that he's doing a clumsy job of distancing his narrative from those views. I've spent the last couple years telling people "No of course it's nonsense that AoT supports nazi ideology" and this reveal is going to make doing that harder.

If they've read everything and still think that just say that Marley is Israel and the Children of Ymir are the Palestinians, and then give it a three count before everyone gets the gently caress out of the conversation because they don't want to go there. Why pretend to engage with people that aren't actually engaging with the story?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

Considering that each new king inherits the wishes and memories of all previous kings through the Founder titan, I find that unlikely. More likely is what Chameleon said above: guilt building up through generations of kings doing terrible things finally hitting the point where the king flips and makes a vow to stop all that

Since everything else regarding the wider themes is already being picked apart, I'll just point out here that the King of the Walls was not an inheritor of the original King Fritz's memories/will, as that Fritz wasn't a descendant of Ymir.

Subsequent holders of the Founding Titan would've inherited memories of their ancestors (all the way back to Ymir's daughters) much like the rest of the Nine Titans do, but there's no indication that they were forcefully 'shackled' to such until the Vow to Renounce War, which as Grisha said even limited the successor Founder's abilities. On the contrary, given that one of the kings even went as far as to throw the entire idea of an eternal Eldian Empire away, it's more reasonable to assume that there was no single supernatural guiding will/mandate through the course of Eldia's history - much like Schwarzwald is saying, it was always the people in power being people and doing either good or evil with the power they happened upon by chance or circumstance, all throughout history.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Schwarzwald posted:

"Who's really responsible for this" is the wrong question to ask. The atrocities in Attack on Titan are shown to be the result of generations and generations of systemic problems compounding on each other. There is not single person or people who are "really responsible," no one could possibly be held accountable for that. Even King Fritz is presented as an unexceptional tyrant, like so many in history. He did not invent tribalism, slavery, or ghettoization*. There's nothing unique about him other than being in the right place at the right time.

Moreover, I think the manga, rather than setting up that question, is quite critical of it. The character who thinks the right thing to do is to discover the person really responsible is Gabi. She's a hurt child with a gun.

* (What these things have in common is that they are dehumanizing. The actual solution, according to the manga, is to recognize each other as people, like Eren does with Ymir.)

I like the idea of the entire point being that oppressive power structures are the problem, and it does play into the attack titan always being used to destroy those oppressive systems (I like Gantolandon’s reading of AOT saying race is a social construct used to separate and oppress lower classes even more, but in a series that’s so heavily focused on genes and heritage like with the Ackermans they’d have to just come right out and say it for me to fully buy into it). The point is that it’s such a strong message already that drawing holocaust parallels where you didn’t need to was the dumbest thing, cause now all everyone thinks about is what does this have to do with the holocaust and what does Isayama think about the Jewish? In the last few chapters he could really take it home and make the moral explicit and that symbolism is still there loving everything up.

Turin Turambar posted:

Because the ghetto image was powerful and it fit the story very well.

I mean, now you can't use the concept of ghetto and oppressed people because in real life there has been ghettos and oppressed people? Seems crazy to me.

:rolleyes:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Basically TheHan wishes the Eldians had been black so they didn't need armbands.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

thiiiiiiiis might be a bit too much, dude

I understand the thread is a bit...sore about the neverending "is AoT fascist/nazist" discourse, but I don't think it's a condemnation of the series to acknowledge, now that we're in the endgame, that its use of imagery is all over the place and not super well thought out - unless some last-minute reveal ties it all up or fucks it all up, of course.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Basically TheHan wishes the Eldians had been black so they didn't need armbands.

I don’t think...this is the sick own you think it is.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
For a while I've thought a good reveal would be if actually anyone could become a Titan once injected, Marley just says that only Eldians can become Titans to cement the imagery of them as monsters.

The definition of what an "Eldian" is was made more questionable by this chapter.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Viridiant posted:

For a while I've thought a good reveal would be if actually anyone could become a Titan once injected, Marley just says that only Eldians can become Titans to cement the imagery of them as monsters.

The definition of what an "Eldian" is was made more questionable by this chapter.

Reiner is only half Eldian and he can turn into a titan just fine. It's racial hatred and predjudice that's keeping them from just mingling further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Viridiant posted:

Depiction does not equal endorsement but creators do need to take care in how they portray certain things. Even the most blatantly obvious "this thing is bad" can be taken as the opposite depending on how it's presented. A good example would be neo nazis loving loving the imagery in American History X and how "cool" it makes pre-reformed Edward Norton look. This reveal does make me worry because it doesn't do a very good job of making the Eldians' persecution look unjustified from the point of view of someone who would buy into that in the first place. (I am NOT this person)

This falls into the same trap of "both sidesism" that Bishock Infinite did. (Vague spoilers for Bioshock Infinite) "Yes, this group of people are being unjustly persecuted, but are they not also capable of horrible things? REALLY MAKES YOU THINK, DOESN'T IT?"

Granted, this is doing a bit better of a job of that than Bishock Infinite did.

I mostly agree with this. To picture the eldians like jews in nazi guetos was at the very least a bit insensible considering the eldians kind of are what nazi propaganda said the jewish were. It can be argued that the story is a lot more complicated than that, and that he is definetly not painting the marleyans in a good light either, but he made those comparisons inevitable anyway

But I too dont think that he intended or even considered those implications