Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Went 2-2 with Golos Field. Should've won another match but I misplayed horrifically against a Simic Ramp deck and lost.

edit: this is probably a good reason to play a deck you actually know how to pilot but I refuse to spend wildcards until I'm done drafting and the gold drafts aren't available yet.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It was also a fun event in that everyone was taking the matches Bo3 seriously except the RDW guy who was giving me GGs on turn two.

I was also pleased to realize that in my nine matches I never fought the same type of deck twice. That's pretty good variety.

I was less pleased to note that I only got to go first on two of my nine matches, though on a good chunk of them that did not matter.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I went 5-2 with Golos Field and it seemed pretty good. First loss to was another Golos deck that uses Agent of Treachery (mine doesn't) and seems to have a couple of tools like that to make it better against mirror matches. Second loss was to a gruul aggro deck that was quick with riot creatures and buffs. I would've been able to turn the game around with one more turn but that's how it goes! I don't like the event type but I don't think it's possible to take the possibility of getting all 12 seriously since it's more luck than anything to get that kind of streak going so I liked it more than say, Momir events which I just don't enjoy at all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What you don't get access to all cards for this one?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Everyone played pretty quickly during the event too, much faster than normal. On the whole it was fun but I was also kind of happy to have it done because having giant impossible prizes hanging over you is a little stressful.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

edit: this is probably a good reason to play a deck you actually know how to pilot but I refuse to spend wildcards until I'm done drafting and the gold drafts aren't available yet.
Eh. The whole idea here is to get you to shed resources building and testing random decks "because oh what a prize!" when you're adjusting the percent by a decimal. It's too wide open a format, there's certainly an optimized build, but each deck is going to adjust up and down against the spread of different opponents haplessly.

The good idea here is to just play something you're comfortable with and be happy with free prizes.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

0-2 with a deck I was going in with like a 70% win rate. Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Arglebargle III posted:

What you don't get access to all cards for this one?

yeah you do

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No I mean like I thought you could build any deck for free in this event.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

No I mean like I thought you could build any deck for free in this event.

yeah you can

you don't get to keep it after the event is over

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I just went in with a Black White Cat Oven deck, events like these with such high stakes (for winning atleast) can make you insane if you take things too seriously, went 2-2, content with that really. 2nd loss was to that Mayhem devil that deals 1 damage every time someone sacrifices something which sort of killed all my other creatures for free whenever I did anything. Next time I am bringing High alert or some other more dumb deck.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Lone Goat posted:

yeah you can

you don't get to keep it after the event is over

almost like they give you taste of the good stuff so later when you lose games you can think 'if only i had more wildcards'

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
0-2, I don't know why I even bothered.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Since I had no expectations for this event I entered it with a Happily Ever After combo deck and I am 2-0 so far, what a thrill

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh Golos Field is gross from both sides of the table.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Arglebargle III posted:

Ugh Golos Field is gross from both sides of the table.

It would be nice if there was a way to interact with that deck

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

RC Cola posted:

It would be nice if there was a way to interact with that deck

this is what i hate most about it, its like they're playing solitaire

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Playing it is like, just tutor up anything, make zombie hordes almost as an afterthought. Your only real concern is making sure you can board wipe fliers and not get caught too slow against aggro.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Went second twice in a row against nut draw aggro for 5-2 with Golos Field. I was on 4 mana and literally had a time wipe in my hand but he had two of the anthem knights and the circle of loyalty on turn five. Oh well, that's Bo1.

barge
Jun 12, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Since I had no expectations for this event I entered it with a Happily Ever After combo deck and I am 2-0 so far, what a thrill

Me too, it's a really solid BO1 deck even though the games have been taking me foreeever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/alieldrazi/status/1180510060155428864?s=21

Went 2-2 with Golos. Aced Simic flash and rakdos aggro, lost to an absolutely insane monored opening (Knight, Knight/Lava guy, t3 burn u out) and then misread a Sultai deck and then lost G4 to misplay.

I still like Dance more and am happy to run that this season but yeah Golos is really insane. If you make it past turn 6 it feels impossible to lose.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zyla posted:

this is what i hate most about it, its like they're playing solitaire

One of my opponents in Bo3 was playing a golgari midrange deck and sideboarded in some assassin's trophy to take out my field of the dead lands. It almost worked but I sideboarded in unmoored ego to get those out of his deck. He also added some Duress to make it harder for me to ramp.

I also had a Dimir mill deck hit me up with Ashiok to make my Circuitous Route and Golos not able to search the library. I didn't really have a good way to ramp up lands because of it.

Golos Field kind of reminds me of the old gates deck where you're not too worried about anything other than ramping up and wiping the opponent's board. Eventually you'll win if they can't kill you fast enough or remove your threats before you have enough mana for huge hydroid krasises or whatever else you want to do. It's kind of a laid back play style and it's pretty effective right now.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

went 7-2 with the LANCE VANCE MANSE DANCE, losing both to Fires of Invention (and beating it once)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Went 4-0 then lost two in a row :negative:

Pretty happy with the deck, though. Weirdly the Heroes were the weakest part of it but they also provided a pretty decent stream of blockers in some matches to chump against Wicked Wolves and whoever I happened to turn into an Elk on their side (Great Henge, Feasting Troll Kings were pretty popular targets). They also turn into Elks pretty readily!

MVP was the Goose which gave me HP against Cavalcade and also people seem to forget that they can make Food, which is fun when they block into my Wolf thinking that it would kill it.

4 Hero of Precinct One (RNA) 11
1 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Forest (ANA) 65
3 Deputy of Detention (RNA) 165
2 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Oko, Thief of Crowns (ELD) 197
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
2 Island (ANA) 62
3 Wicked Wolf (ELD) 181
3 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
2 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193

Absum
May 28, 2013

Went 4-2 with a Grixis Fires deck that didn't even include Fae of Wishes or w/e because I'm lazy. Both of my losses were to that card grabbing something from the sideboard to gently caress me, one time vs the Jeskai Fires deck, the other time vs Golos Field.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
6-2 with Jeskai Fires Superfriends. Lost a game to Mardu Knight aggro because I never drew the sweeper. Second loss was to... Jeskai Fires Superfriends when I was on the draw. I had previously beaten the mirror match while on the draw for my 4th win but wasn't so lucky this last time!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I probably should have built my Gates deck around an established build instead of my janky gates build.
But the only reason I play gates at all is because I accidentally pulled 3 Golos and 4 Fields.
I didn't even take advantage of the ability to play any card because I saw 'sign up ends in 33:47' and thought I only had 33 minutes left to participate.

Unrelated: wearing out cavalcade with kitchen cat is amazingly cathartic.
That having been said: Kitchen cat is a 'sometimes' deck. i can only play that deck once in a while because ugh, the grindy triggers.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 6, 2019

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rexxed posted:

One of my opponents in Bo3 was playing a golgari midrange deck and sideboarded in some assassin's trophy to take out my field of the dead lands. It almost worked but I sideboarded in unmoored ego to get those out of his deck. He also added some Duress to make it harder for me to ramp.

I also had a Dimir mill deck hit me up with Ashiok to make my Circuitous Route and Golos not able to search the library. I didn't really have a good way to ramp up lands because of it.

Golos Field kind of reminds me of the old gates deck where you're not too worried about anything other than ramping up and wiping the opponent's board. Eventually you'll win if they can't kill you fast enough or remove your threats before you have enough mana for huge hydroid krasises or whatever else you want to do. It's kind of a laid back play style and it's pretty effective right now.

Yeah I object to the notion that Golos Field is impossible to interact with. The key is figuring out a way to either destroy the Field or deny tutoring out lands. Both of these are doable, although I think having some beefier land destruction can help.

Also it's entirely possible to beat the deck without hard cohnters if you go low to the ground or pump a lot of fliers out. Lifegain can help to stabilize you as well. A mardu knights deck I played in the event today did a great job stabilizing and I only won because I top decked a Hydroid that let me get through his life gain blockers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Went 4-2 with a Golgari kitty pie deck. Felt pretty good, but in retrospect I should've definitely not played Lilianna, Dreadhorde General and should've probably just played Shared Summoning to grab more combo pieces. Oh well, was fun, and did better then I expected.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Top 8 at SCG Philly Team Constructed right now: 5x Bant Golos. 1x Sultai Golos. 1x Golos Fires. And 1x Simic Mid/Fight.

Of course, the team constructed format (wherein 3 matches are played at once by each team in each constructed format - standard, modern, legacy) may be hiding some other very good decks in standard and Kannister won the MPL Eldraine split with Golgari Adventure/Aggro, but Golos seems very very dominant.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The biggest weakness for the Golos deck is either an incredibly efficient aggro deck or some sort of combo deck that ends the game on the spot. Anything else is just going to get ground to dust beneath its infinite assault of zombies. So far I don't see any good aggro or combo decks but we still haven't fully explored the format yet, there are plenty of chances for something to pop up.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Stupid loving cocksucking autotapper consistently taps my forests so that I can't play a creature then henge. Even when I couldn't possibly play anything else.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Magic Underwear posted:

Stupid loving cocksucking autotapper consistently taps my forests so that I can't play a creature then henge. Even when I couldn't possibly play anything else.

maybe stop being a dipshit and just tap it yourself

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The only deck that can just burst Golos from nowhere is temur rec, but they're pre-teched against it with teferi, cerulean drake, and veil of summer. They really wanted to make sure everyone can beat that.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Lone Goat posted:

maybe stop being a dipshit and just tap it yourself

I do. But I shouldn't have to remember. gently caress you.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

I net decked this like a frustrated dumbass who is tired of losing to copy pasted meta bullshit and went 00-2

gently caress yeah! Great Game!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

E. Revenant posted:

I net decked this like a frustrated dumbass who is tired of losing to copy pasted meta bullshit and went 00-2

gently caress yeah! Great Game!

Good. Since you ran the most obnoxious copy pasted meta bullshit deck

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

went 2-2 in the event with 3 muligans, but climbed from diamond 4 to diamond 2 with the rest of my daily wins.

I really love this stompy deck, reminds me of my first ptq deck back in like 90's.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

ugh i dont even wanna do this free event

if i win im gonna have to keep playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I hate high-pressure constructed events so I just jammed a bant ramp deck to get it over with and went 4 wins, which I am satisfied with.

There is a ton of Golos Field out there, for anyone who hasn't picked a deck yet, you better have answers for that matchup.