Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I don't even know what a thread ripper is and I'm infuriated!!

It's like a thread layer but more streamlined.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hav posted:

Absolute unit. I take the fuzzy belly is a trap?

It's always a trap.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yamiks wasn't even getting 30 FPS with a 1st gen thread ripper!!! How are you not outraged!!

A "thread ripper" is an AMD cpu, quite a decent one at that.

Shitizen is a moron who can't see that the game being poo poo is the problem rather than the streamers rig.

Shitizen also thought the streamer had set out with the sole intention of bringing new players to the tech demo.

In conclusion, the shitizen is a moron.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A threadripper's a CPU. The entire complaint is that Yamiks didn't specifically custom build a PC solely for Star Citizen but was playing on his preexisting rig so it looked bad. The concept that perhaps it's a bad idea to require people to spend thousands of dollars before ever touching a game is not one that penetrates very far in the SC community.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sabreseven posted:

A "thread ripper" is an AMD cpu, quite a decent one at that.

Shitizen is a moron who can't see that the game being poo poo is the problem rather than the streamers rig.

Shitizen also thought the streamer had set out with the sole intention of bringing new players to the tech demo.

In conclusion, the shitizen is a moron.

I see Yamiks uses FRAPS or similar non SC built in app. Whereas most shitizens use the game built in FPS function. Is it possible that there is a significant difference between those? As in has CIG rigged the game’s?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Complications posted:

A threadripper's a CPU. The entire complaint is that Yamiks didn't specifically custom build a PC solely for Star Citizen but was playing on his preexisting rig so it looked bad. The concept that perhaps it's a bad idea to require people to spend thousands of dollars before ever touching a game is not one that penetrates very far in the SC community.

The joke is that even if he had, the game would still run like poo poo

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Yamiks wasn't even getting 30 FPS with a 1st gen thread ripper!!! How are you not outraged!!

R U OK, commando? is the proper question to ask now, I believe.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

What is your favorite unreleased MMO?

What is release, anyway?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Bofast posted:

What is release, anyway?

A miserable little pile of bug reports

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hot off the refunds sub: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/star-citizen-tiere-dung-kot-ressourcen,3349552.html

Translation:

The article posted:

Star Citizen doesn't have wild animals yet but you can already collect their poop

The level of detail of this space-mmo is crazy. In Alpha 3.7 you will even be able to collect the dung of huge isopods and sell it - for science!

Star Citizen isn't just about spaceships and dogfights - on planets you can find valuable resources which can be processed and sold. Among those are the droppings of stone eating isopods.

New fodder for all critics who believe the players of Star Citizen are getting crapped on: It's true! Because the space-MMO will soon be full of poop: The Alpha 3.7 of Star Citizen will spread so-called Ranta-dung on planetary surfaces.

This is the dried droppings of giant, stone eating isopods. Following the lore of the game the droppings contain bacteria, the study of which promises new insights in the fields of medicine and science.

Star Citizen Alpha 3.7 brings new resources to the game - including poop

The Ranta-dung belongs to the 'harvestables,' the collectible, sometimes renewable resources and materials. Among those are organic materials (fruit, pods, lichen) and anorganic materials (quartz, crystals, scrap). Some of the valuable collectibles are introduced in Star Citizen's subscription magazine Jump Point - a list of them with screenshots can be found on reddit.

Dan Truffin, Özgem Sagbili and Will Weissbaum of development studio Cloud Imperium Games talk about the current uses of these resources (you can sell them to merchants) and what kind of advanced gameplay mechanics are planned for the future (crafting, food consumption, hunting, farming).

You can collect these items either with your hands (and store them in the newly added physical inventory in Alpha 3.7) or with Star Citizen 3.7's mining feature with the multi-tool. Take 3 guesses how your character will have to collect the Ranta-poop...

Oh, and items in Star Citizen like the piece of dung can be inspected, thrown - or you can shoot them. These are the wonders of videogame technology of the 21st century!

Star Citizen's future: Animals and drugs

The actual isopods, which produce the Ranta-dung, don't show up in Star Citizen's Alpha 3.7 just yet. So far the space-MMO only has aquariums with ornamental fish and a turtle that can be kept as a pet by spacepilots. But a living fauna is one of the many, many ambitious features of the enormous project of Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts.

(Caption of concept art of alien plants: These vein-covered spheres contain Prota-slime which develops in caustic environments and under great pressure. The industry uses it to create glue.)

Additional Harvestables are planned for future updates of the Star Citizen Alpha. This way a large variety of resources is supposed to be created, some of which will only be found at specific locations. And not all collectable fruit and plants are harmless: The pods of the "Revenant Tree" can be illegally processed into a drug called Altruciatoxin - the cocaine of the Star Citizen universe.

The Ranta-dung, the other 'harvestables' and many other features of Star Citizen's Alpha 3.7 are currently checked for bugs by a group of voluntary testers (the so-called Evocati); a currently rumoured release date for the update on the public test servers is early October.

I just... I don't even know what to say about this one.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is that satire? I can’t tell anymore.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

With various kinds of flight gameplay provably beyond them, CIG have turned their efforts relentless and hilarious bumbling towards making a minecraftalike in Star Engine Lumberyard Cryengine.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
What are the odds that the Crytek legal action results in a complete engine switch?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

4 Mentions of Isopods.
4 Mentions of Ranta-dung.
4 Mentions of Poops.

We have found the golden ratio, my friends.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chocobo posted:

What are the odds that the Crytek legal action results in a complete engine switch?

About as good as backers saying it would be good for Star Citizen.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Sarsapariller posted:

Hot off the refunds sub: https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/star-citizen-tiere-dung-kot-ressourcen,3349552.html

“The actual isopods, which produce the Ranta-dung, don't show up in Star Citizen's Alpha 3.7 just yet.”

So perfect.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I am streaming if people want to hang out. That DaGaimez video seems like a good place to start.

https://www.twitch.tv/virtual_captain

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

Translation:

I see that CIG continues their long-lasting tradition of developing the game rear end-backwards, now more literally

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I have to admit, "emergent poop gameplay" was never on my mind for the kinds of stupidity SC would get into in its drive to mine for all the tedium it can dredge up

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Collecting poop or taking the piss? You decide.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Star Citizen: Poop

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

ZekeNY posted:

Star Citizen: Poop

hosed up if true

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MedicineHut posted:

I see Yamiks uses FRAPS or similar non SC built in app. Whereas most shitizens use the game built in FPS function. Is it possible that there is a significant difference between those? As in has CIG rigged the game’s?

That was a theory at some point. Someone pointed out some FPS discrepancies between FRAPS and the built in function.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
CIG have broken some of the No Fly Zone over the Potemkin village ArcCorp city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pm5dGZWIB0

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Bootcha showed up so yeah we did one ARGCast. One more and that's it for today. PM me if you wanna be on the show.

https://www.twitch.tv/virtual_captain

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

mjotto posted:

R U OK, commando? is the proper question to ask now, I believe.

I bought a few JPEGs, so I'm feeling better.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

Translation:

Star Citizen is poo poo?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sarsapariller posted:

Translation:

:itwaspoo:

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

Lladre posted:

It's always a trap.

Almost. This sexy bear sometimes is so busy drooling that he will forget getting all overexcited and biting.

Cuddling 2.0 will fix that, of course.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/S66HdMG.gifv

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Is that a husky pup?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

monkeytek posted:

Is that a husky pup?

I think it's a malamute which is basically part husky part cloud

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Now I'm confused. Touch the poop, don't touch the poop, which one is it?

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Now I'm confused. Touch the poop, don't touch the poop, which one is it?

Wear gloves

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Glad Star Citizen took my suggestion about picking up goats and selling them on the market and they thought 'sure but what if instead of goats.... it was poop!'

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Here's some lovely footage from another game in pre-alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TY56kA8oY0

Sadly no bartender mo-cap, but it does have atmospheric rainbows.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Agony Aunt posted:

Fun parts included:

Climbing into his cockpit with box in hand, box stick to his hand and clipping into the ladder as he climbs.
Taking forever to actualy land
Dying to a heart attack while squatting
Crawling across stairs and... well, let the clip speak for itself

https://clips.twitch.tv/PrettiestLitigiousAlmondTBTacoLeft

Didn't they spend like ages trying to rework all the anims and somehow they can't get the body to follow the terrain? Even Fortnite does it better than this with its cartoony graphics.

Having a heart attack while crouched sounds like game design from Ben Lesnik input era of SC.

drat IT. I was really looking forward to starbase. Well maybe it will have a NMS turn around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Including Star Citizen in his list might invalidate it, thus giving hope to the other worlds listed here.