Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
lmao I just read a plot synopsis for Sorry to Bother You and just wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

beanieson posted:

It's great! You didn't spoil it for yourself, you should watch it. At least for the earrings

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Don’t have Hulu but I’ll def watch when I get the chance 👍🏻

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Enos Cabell posted:

The Sturgill Simpson anime on Netflix is no Interstella 5555, but I dug it.

The dedication in the end after 35-45 mins of glorified anime violence seems off kilter to me, but I probably missed something. :shrug:

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

beanieson posted:

I knew nothing about this movie when I watched it. It is INSANE.

Just started The Boys on Amazon Prime. Great series so far.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 2, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mammal Sauce posted:

Probably an odd question, but does anyone know of any movies on Hulu, Prime, or Netflix with abrupt or strange tonal shifts? Even better if it veers into thriller or horror territory.

Something like if Us started without the backstory and instead with the drive to the cabin and the first 30 minutes was filled with fun family time at the beach, etc. and then the doppelgangers show up out of nowhere and went off the rails.

I think Cold in July may fit the bill.

"When a man kills a home invader in self-defense, the burglar's father continues the terror by threatening the victim's young son."

That Netflix description is like the first twenty five minutes of the movie, then the twist comes in.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

LadyPictureShow posted:

"When a man kills a home invader in self-defense, the burglar's father continues the terror by threatening the victim's young son."

That Netflix description is like the first twenty five minutes of the movie, then the twist comes in.

Not on Netflix, at least not on netflix in any country that values freedom.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The end of the final episode of IASIF season 13 was bizarrely beautiful

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I really didn't like those first twenty five minutes but I really enjoyed the rest.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have been a so-so fan of Sturgill Simpson (I like many of his songs and seen him live, but I still don't think he has made a great album) ever since I heard 'Turtles All the Way Down', so I had to check out Sound & Fury. I only watched the first half hour (due to time constraints), and everything I've seen so far visually is a feast for the eyes. That said everything I've see so far is pretty cliche (how many tropes can they fit in). If I was 16 I would think this is the greatest thing ever, but my adult self not so much. I will go back and finish it just for the visuals (music so far so good). Like a lot of things Sturgill Simpson, I appericate what he is trying to do more than the outcome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think that is pretty much where I ended up on it. Music is great, visuals are pretty great, but it's not super cohesive. I liked the different styles, but it probably suffered from too many hands in the pot.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Filthy Hans posted:

The end of the final episode of IASIF season 13 was bizarrely beautiful

I didn't like Seasons 11 or 12 of "In Autumn Sunsets, I Fart" but Season 13 was bizarrely beautiful.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Jolo posted:

I didn't like Seasons 11 or 12 of "In Autumn Sunsets, I Fart" but Season 13 was bizarrely beautiful.

:hmmyes:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kind of interested in watching another season of AHS. I haven’t watched Roanoke, cult or apocalypse.

FWIW my options on previous seasons are
Murder house m-dumb but fun
Asylum-great
Coven-terrible
Freak show-couldn’t even finish it
Hotel- lost interest after 3 episodes

Any of the newer ones worth the time?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Just saw In the Shadow of the Moon on Netflix. it has an interesting concept that I think could have been better executed as a limited run series. The movie becomes really predictable and the twist is obvious as soon as they first hint at time travel fuckery being present. Same old poo poo, this character will obviously be someone of great importance to our protagonist and it’s hard to surprise anyone anymore I guess..

Not anything mind blowing but decent enough sci-fi story if you’re into that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

Kind of interested in watching another season of AHS. I haven’t watched Roanoke, cult or apocalypse.

Asylum-great
Coven-terrible

No.

I've watched them all and enjoyed them for various reasons but based on your thoughts for previous seasons I doubt you'd like any of them very much. Apocalypse is basically Coven part 2, with a few scenes of Hotel thrown in.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I haven't watched Farscape (on Amazon Prime) since it was airing originally, and I'm happy to find that I still like it, but, man, it is... uneven. I like it, and that Pilot puppet is probably one of the most impressive things to come from Jim Henson Studios, but it has almost the same problem as Doctor Who where they feel like every episode has to ratchet it up to 11. What it does have on Doctor Who is (at least in the first few episodes) a more compelling meta arc, which helps drive the crew around into new situations. I don't remember how it switches from the villain being Commander Crais to the villain being that weird BDSM battery head guy, but I think I have a few seasons to go until that anyway. Really into funky contact lenses too. I'd say it's still good overall.

E Crichton just stared deeply into the mirror and said "come on John, you don't know that you've become unstuck in time," this show rules, all my previous criticisms are null but preserved here for posterity

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 5, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Inspector Hound posted:

I haven't watched Farscape (on Amazon Prime) since it was airing originally, and I'm happy to find that I still like it, but, man, it is... uneven. I like it, and that Pilot puppet is probably one of the most impressive things to come from him Jim Henson Studios, but it has almost the same problem as Doctor Who where they feel like every episode has to ratchet it up to 11. What it has on Doctor Who is (at least in the guest few episodes) a more compelling meta arc, it helps drive the crew around into new situations. I don't remember how it switches from the villain being Commander Crais to the villain being that weird BDSM battery head guy, but I think I have a few seasons to go until that anyway. Really into funky contact lenses too. I'd say it's still good overall.

E Crichton just stared deeply into the mirror and said "come on John, you don't know that you've become unstuck in time," this show rules, all my previous criticisms are null but preserved here for posterity

Dang right. I'm sad I don't have Amazon Prime, as I haven't seen Farscape since it originally aired on the dang TV.

IIRC, Scorpius just saw John faking his way down a corridor as a Peacekeeper, and was like, "Guards, seize him," with hardly an assessment at all. He then tortures his brain and learns he has wormhole equations in his head or something, and wants 'em.

If I could sum up Farscape's appeal to me, personally, in a single word, it would be "unembarrassed." And wonderfully so.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

If I could sum up Farscape's appeal to me, personally, in a single word, it would be "unembarrassed." And wonderfully so.

drat, absolutely this, completely.

E for real, what a perfect word. The makeup work by D'Argo (yeah I loving did the arbitrary fake alien capitalization and apostrophe, I'm fully recommitted) blows Worf's out of the water, and I won't hear any more complaints from anyone on Babylon 5. Also I'm finally finishing the "unstuck in time episode," and holy poo poo this show blows Doctor Who out of the proverbial water, I can't be polite anymore

E2 this show alone is worth Amazon prime, plus The X-Files, it's just game over for your credit card

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 5, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Watched Timetrap on a whim on Netflix. Surprisingly enjoyable, if a bit cheesy at parts. If you like the time travel genre you might enjoy it. It has some cool ideas.

I walked in just as someone else started this and it was a blast. I HATE time travel plots unless they are well done but this one wasn't really about the time travel until the end. I loved the reveal when they realize the flashing light wasn't days and nights.

veni veni veni posted:

Asylum-great
Coven-terrible

I just went back and finished Cult, originally quit on ep5. It's awful all the way through except the last 2 episodes are incredible and Evan Peters was as intense and convincing as any actor I've seen. The story is up and around, over and under, this way and that, but Peters is worth watching. Roanoke isn't very good either. Apocalypse is okay, it starts well but spends too much time sniffing its own farts. I find AHS easier to watch with someone so we can make fun of how lousy it is.

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 5, 2019

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In The Tall Grass (Netflix) might be in the top 2 of the 4 Stephen King movies this year. It's claustrophobic, makes grass terrifying, and mess around with time and space to great effect; it's like a more organic version of Cube (same director).

Patrick Wilson should also be called a horror icon by now.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The MSJ posted:

In The Tall Grass (Netflix) might be in the top 2 of the 4 Stephen King movies this year. It's claustrophobic, makes grass terrifying, and mess around with time and space to great effect; it's like a more organic version of Cube (same director).

Patrick Wilson should also be called a horror icon by now.

Netflix not pushing the fact that Vincenzo Natali directed that when they advertise it to me is a serious failure of whatever computer algorithm decides all that poo poo. Thanks for mentioning it. Definitely gonna check that out this weekend.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Oh poo poo what there's a new Vincenzo Natali movie? :stare:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Goliath season 3 is out. It's fuckin' weird.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've only watched the 1st episode and it definitely gets weird at the end.

Still not as weird as that Mark Duplass stuff in S2. :stonk:

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Mark Duplass is in Goliath? Guess I have to watch it now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

promising carl posted:

Mark Duplass is in Goliath? Guess I have to watch it now.

He's definitely got an interesting part.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Medullah posted:

He's definitely got an interesting part.

Duplass' storyline, excised from Goliath, would have made an S-tier Tales From The Crypt episode

too bad the rest of season 2 was utter poo poo apart from the episode where Billy Bob wakes up in Steven Bauer's house

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wanted to watch Meru, which is by the Free Solo directors, but apparently Netflix took it down recently. So I watched The Dawn Wall instead and it was pretty awesome. It’s about those two guys who free climbed the Dawn Wall section of El Capitan a few years back. The one dude, Tommy Caldwell, is in Free Solo for a bit. I think I might have liked this one more than Free Solo actually. I didn’t know anything about these guys and wasn’t paying attention when it was going on, so this was all new to me. That Caldwell guy has a pretty crazy story. At this point I’m just going to assume all big name professional climbers are emotionally damaged in some way. Although the part where (spoilered in case you didn’t follow the news) he’s just like “Nah, I don’t want to do this without Kevin” and goes back for him was really heartwarming.

With Free Solo I was left wondering what’s next for Honnold. His future and relationship seemed pretty ambiguous and I certainly wouldn’t be surprised if things end up going badly for him. Whereas Caldwell seemed like he made it through a bunch of bad poo poo to the other side and apparently has a happy family too. Then again who knows. They’re both pretty killer movies.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

beanieson posted:

Just saw In the Shadow of the Moon on Netflix. it has an interesting concept that I think could have been better executed as a limited run series. The movie becomes really predictable and the twist is obvious as soon as they first hint at time travel fuckery being present. Same old poo poo, this character will obviously be someone of great importance to our protagonist and it’s hard to surprise anyone anymore I guess..

Not anything mind blowing but decent enough sci-fi story if you’re into that.

I thought that it was a really interesting and thought provoking film, yeah the larger reveals are relatively but the questions it asks some pretty deep questions.

I mean think about it Locke didn't just have to deal with the fact that he killed her but he had to train her and then send her back to her death. Not off on a dangerous mission well prepared but to certain doom at his own hands.

That's before you get to the moral and ethical questions about changing time and killing people before they committed or in some cases didn't even commit a crime but were merely aware of the ideology.

Not to mention the value it has in pissing off Nazis who identify with the bad guys so whine about SJWs and antifa super soldier terminators from the future.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Into the Tall Grass was fun. I knew nothing about it and halfway through I literally said to myself "this is like Stephen King does Cube". Guess I should check out the novella, I also really love Joe Hill.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Predestination and Shadow of the Moon spoilers below.

In the Shadow of the Moon just left me feeling that Predestination did it far better.

Maybe I guessed the entire plot because of Predestination?

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I liked Into the Tall Grass a lot. I think there is some logical fallacies at the end but what else can you expect from a movie like this.

I have never read the short story but have it on reserve at the library.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I liked Into the Tall Grass a lot. I think there is some logical fallacies at the end but what else can you expect from a movie like this.

I have never read the short story but have it on reserve at the library.

yeah the wiki says they 'close the loop' and that extremely does not happen.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
New season of Peaky Blinders is out and it's good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to turn off the autoplaying previews on Netflix? I hate having to IMMEDIATELY scroll down when the site loads or get blasted with a preview of whatever poo poo they're pushing at me. And I hate scrolling down and - oops, I moused over a rectangle for a millisecond, now another preview is playing.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
In The Tall Grass was a fun movie with some problems - definitely better than Bird Box which they pushed the poo poo out of

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

LifeLynx posted:

Is there a way to turn off the autoplaying previews on Netflix? I hate having to IMMEDIATELY scroll down when the site loads or get blasted with a preview of whatever poo poo they're pushing at me. And I hate scrolling down and - oops, I moused over a rectangle for a millisecond, now another preview is playing.

I don't think so and it's a real shame

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

New season of Peaky Blinders is out and it's good.
Seriously? I didn’t bother with S4 because I heard it was pretty dire and I was kinda sick of it at that point. Does is actually improve again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LifeLynx posted:

Not that I've seen, and I've really tried. I've managed to use uBlock origin to straight up remove "billboard" stuff, though, so now only the smaller tiles will start autoplaying. Sites where you can't "rest" your mouse somewhere without "engaging" suck.

code:
www.netflix.com##.bigRow
www.netflix.com##.originals-panels-row.lolomoRow_title_card.lolomoRow
You can use instantwatcher.com or flixable.com to browse the listings, and play from there too, thus bypassing a good deal of their site.