Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I watched Time Trap last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. A few things don't hold up under intense scrutiny but the concept was pretty cool and it had fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Chaotic Flame posted:

I watched Time Trap last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. A few things don't hold up under intense scrutiny but the concept was pretty cool and it had fun with it.

Fun concept, terrible acting, needed more visual stuff with the whole reveal / ending but I get it was super low budget.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Time Travel movies never hold up under scrutiny, especially the endings, but Time Trap did a better job than most B movies of developing real suspense and tension while avoiding a lot of common tropes. The acting was good considering it's low budget and inexperienced cast. I also liked that almost every character had their time to shine and it wasn't a vehicle for just one actor. It probably helped that I went into it blind, knowing nothing about it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Time Trap is a bad movie elevated to a very entertaining experience by a likable cast and absolutely bonkers premise that they utilize extremely well. That ending was something else.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I’ve never read the story for In the Tall Glass, but it’s good that they embraced King’s weirdness. A lot of adaptations tend to focus on the broad strokes and try to stay accessible. But a lot of King’s stuff goes off the rails in a way I hadn’t actually seen done until this one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Double Dare, a documentary on stuntwomen following Zoë Bell when she first comes to America, is up on Amazon Prime and well worth a watch. Bell is freaking adorable.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'm only 22 years late but I finally watched Event Horizon. It's great and it's on Hulu, so watch it if you can!

Also watched Mom and Dad on Hulu. Enjoyed it up until the end.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just saw: In the shadow of the moon. Fun movie.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My wife was watching In The Shadow Of The Moon the other day and I happened to catch maybe the last 5 or 10 minutes. I went back and read the description and to be honest I don't think I would ever have watched it unless someone else put it on. But seeing the ending and reading the blurb has me a little interested in how it gets from A to B.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The Spy on Netflix was really good. I had no idea it was based on a real guy until the end.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Inspector 34 posted:

My wife was watching In The Shadow Of The Moon the other day and I happened to catch maybe the last 5 or 10 minutes. I went back and read the description and to be honest I don't think I would ever have watched it unless someone else put it on. But seeing the ending and reading the blurb has me a little interested in how it gets from A to B.

It is nothing special, but it is ok for a watch.

The one part that really was weird is the music in the beginning when they arrest some people. It was so weird compared to the tone the film set earlier.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Inspector 34 posted:

You've seen the ending so this won't matter to you, but it's not hard to figure out whats happening really early and who the killer is + what their motivation is and I just wasn't interested in Lockhart's descent over the years, so I didn't really like it that much. It plays like an inferior imitation of a Nolan film.

Although the film is at it's best in the 1988 and 1997 bits.

And I know these questions always come up in films with this content,but (BIG SPOILERS) once again in a time travel film I am just filled with questions of whether it's a loop, different timelines etc. People seem convinced that Lock will have to raise his grand-daughter, train her and send her back to be killed by him all over again. But if she prevented the terrorist attack and the civil war, there is no need to send her back? But that's a literal grandfather paradox. Also she is told he will kill her and is like "Well, it's already happened, can't change it." But her entire mission is to change the past (you see the terrorist attack rewinding at the end of the film, so she did change it?), she could change her own death surely?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I think shadow of the moon would have been more interesting told from the opposite perspective, that of the time traveler being raised by her hermit old grandfather to fix the past only as she starts her mission she slowly realizes that this man who lovingly raised her was trying to catch/kill her.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shadow of the Moon was pretty fun but also really bad.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Watched El Camino last night. It was ok I guess, but also felt really unneeded. I mean, no movie is needed, but this just showed events you could assumed happened after the Breaking Bad finale, but you didn't need to know the exact details of how. Well, now you know how, but I wasn't really asking.

It is really well shot, acted, edited of course, but the content just feels limp. It's like the scenes of Mike in Better Call Saul being hyper-competent at like, finding a tracker in his car or tracking a guy down. Some people really love that poo poo, it is very well done by the creators, but personally, I'm always like "Just get to the point". There is one scene in this that is basically just the same as Mike finding the tracker in his gas cap. Jesse searching for money in Todd's apartment.

Also, they seemed to realized that everyone who could be a villain left over from the series is already dead, so there's no real antagonists for Jesse to face, so they just make some up and retcon them into a part of the story. Didn't seem needed, the situation itself/cops were problem enough, didn't need that dude at all.

And all the cameos were really gratuitous. But if you like the way Vince Gilligan does things, I would give this a recommendation. Just ask yourself how you feel about the slow nature of BCS. If you like that, you'll like this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I felt that El Camino was pretty much exactly what I expected, I was at least 96% sure it was at least.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yup, agree with the previous two posters. It’s well made but, to paraphrase James Cameron, it’s not answering any questions I didn’t know I had. Oh, and if you haven’t seen the series you should absolutely not watch the movie because you will get nothing out of it.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Really appreciate the recap on el camino reminding me how poo poo the last season of breaking bad was

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wrong.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Terminal autist posted:

Really appreciate the recap on el camino reminding me how poo poo the last season of breaking bad was

Amazing username / post combo here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm sure we can agree that BB5 is the worst season of the series. It had some amazing individual episodes but both viewings I was ready for it to end long before it did.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

garycoleisgod posted:

Watched El Camino last night. It was ok I guess, but also felt really unneeded. I mean, no movie is needed, but this just showed events you could assumed happened after the Breaking Bad finale, but you didn't need to know the exact details of how. Well, now you know how, but I wasn't really asking.

It is really well shot, acted, edited of course, but the content just feels limp. It's like the scenes of Mike in Better Call Saul being hyper-competent at like, finding a tracker in his car or tracking a guy down. Some people really love that poo poo, it is very well done by the creators, but personally, I'm always like "Just get to the point". There is one scene in this that is basically just the same as Mike finding the tracker in his gas cap. Jesse searching for money in Todd's apartment.

Also, they seemed to realized that everyone who could be a villain left over from the series is already dead, so there's no real antagonists for Jesse to face, so they just make some up and retcon them into a part of the story. Didn't seem needed, the situation itself/cops were problem enough, didn't need that dude at all.

And all the cameos were really gratuitous. But if you like the way Vince Gilligan does things, I would give this a recommendation. Just ask yourself how you feel about the slow nature of BCS. If you like that, you'll like this.

I don't really have anything to add to this but I think this is pretty spot on.

I found it enjoyable and well made. Really no complaints about the viewing experience, but it also felt gratuitous. BCS at least does it's own thing but El Camino mostly feels like an info dump for things that were better off left to the imagination.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Carnival Row was awesome, but it really feels like the first season was all just a prequel for the actual story in season 2.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Terminal autist posted:

The lovely hot takes on these forums never cease to amaze me.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Seems like we had a couple of years of all Sam Worthington all the time (for some reason), we collectively went "please, enough of this guy" then he disappeared for a decade.

Anyway, anyone watch Fractured?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
El Camino was pretty good. The story functioned fine without this added chapter, but it was a good epilogue and it was nice to get some extra closure on Jesse's story.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Aw, Robert Forster died yesterday :(

Pretend I made a funny yet touching joke about vacuum cleaners

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

El Camino was extremely pointless but definitely well shot

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

God Hole posted:

Seems like we had a couple of years of all Sam Worthington all the time (for some reason), we collectively went "please, enough of this guy" then he disappeared for a decade.

Anyway, anyone watch Fractured?

Yeah it was dumb

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah. It's always nice to see Stephen Tobolowsky, but you're generally just waiting around to see just how much of what's happening the twist reveals to be fake, and Sam Worthington does nothing to make it worth the time.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dont think Fracture really even has a twist does it? It was bad.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

The Jessie-Hank-Walt dynamic was fantastic, so I can't disagree, at the same time I can't help but have a sour taste in my mouth from the amount of weight they assigned to cardboard cutout bad guys.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I don't really disagree with any of the criticisms of El Camino, but I also just absolutely loved the poo poo out of it. And to me it had felt like the last season was a little too cruel to Jesse, and "hey he finally escaped the Nazi deathpit after they murdered his gf" wasn't quite the satisfying ending for the character that they wanted it to be

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I dont think Fracture really even has a twist does it? It was bad.

I mean, you see it coming a mile away, but I'd qualify the reveal of what he's been hallucinating as at least an attempt at a twist.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was super dumb but the reveal that he had kidnapped a random patient in surgery was pretty good

Such a dumb movie though.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Man I thought you guys were talking about Fracture with Anthony Hopkins and Ryan Gosling. Didn’t even know there was a new dumb Netflix movie, what a twist!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ll give it this much it’s entertaining as hell.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It was super dumb but the reveal that he had kidnapped a random patient in surgery was pretty good

Yeah, the shot of him gasping in the backseat was pretty intense. It's not a movie without well-made elements. It's just in service of so little.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
In The Tall Grass would have been better if they cut about 10-12 minutes to up the pacing. It still would have been middling but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone checked out Goliath season 3? I absolutely loved the first season, but the second was a little meh, though Patty is still a fantastic character.