Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

God I love the Japanese rugby fans
Anecdotally, from my experience with the ones who came to Gloucester during the last world cup, they're basically the nicest people on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

CyberPingu posted:

So when did all the South Sea Island rugby teams fall off a loving cliff?

Also go Japan, its awesome to see one of the "fringe" sides do well

Between French clubs and Trumpian levels of corruption in the unions, they PI's are absolutely hosed.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I'm really looking forward to Japan beating South Africa again but this time in the quarter finals.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Good win for Edinburgh over the Blues and oh god yes:

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1180541088987267074

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

That's a hell of a try. Zebre are so bad this year but good to see the Dragons looking better.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

That's a hell of a try. Zebre are so bad this year but good to see the Dragons looking better.

They did better last week as well only getting 'battered' by Munster instead of 'completely battered'. Which is, technically, an improvement.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Namibia looking the better of the two teams so far :v:

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

slothrop posted:

Namibia looking the better of the two teams so far :v:

Pa-Bear gonna be loving spewing at half time.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
Namibia has come to play!

Also Because I’m a child every time I hear the Namibian hookers name I keeping hearing “Funny rear end Smell”

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I really don’t know that’s a yellow.

I don’t think it was direct contact to the head in the replay either.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Not the first time Aaron Smith has made a bad decision going down a narrow corridor

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

How is that not a card?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Rabbi T. White posted:

How is that not a card?

The ref seems to have been fairly lenient on the Namibians in the ruck

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

slothrop posted:

The ref seems to have been fairly lenient on the Namibians in the ruck

I was talking about the failed intercept. That's supposed to be an instant card.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

I was talking about the failed intercept. That's supposed to be an instant card.

I thought it was only for a deliberate knock-down? Like if you seem to have made an attempt at intercept it’s not a foul. I could easily be wrong.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
I haven’t paid attention to 7s in years but Namibia looks like they should be good at it
Are they?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jedimastafez posted:

I haven’t paid attention to 7s in years but Namibia looks like they should be good at it
Are they?

No.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
So now we just dive into every tackle so we can milk a yellow card?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

slothrop posted:

Yeah this is getting pretty ridiculous.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Well that was a gently caress of a try.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

slothrop posted:

I’d just like to be clear, I wasn’t having a go at the Namibians. It’s the refs interpretation that bothers me

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Had a power cut on my street and I missed nearly all the NZ/Namibia match :mad:

Strong start from France in this match.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nah you have to have no realistic chance of catching it and only a yellow if it prevents a score. The usual standard is if you only touch the ball with 1 hand it's a penalty.

The yellow card is for the more generic foul play preventing a score.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 6, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That try was Tongariffic!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

That try was Tongariffic!

Well taken, France have really dropped off a bit here.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Harsh call against Tonga, that ball was out and the scrum half had his hands on it.

Aramoro posted:

Well taken, France have really dropped off a bit here.

Their scrum has collapsed as well.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bessantj posted:

Harsh call against Tonga, that ball was out and the scrum half had his hands on it.

I'm not sure Looise can complain too much about a harsh call.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Come on Tonga!!!!

EDIT: Awww, not the final minute I was hoping for but Tonga really brought it back.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Both Italian props have copped bans for that absurd tip "tackle" in the SA game.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Both Italian props have copped bans for that absurd tip "tackle" in the SA game.

It was less a tackle and more a pro wrestling tag-team finisher.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Good.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Lavanini out for 4 weeks for his dumbass hit on Farrell too.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The Toonie Tombola has struck again as Scotland play their hooker Fraser Brown at 7. While not totally mental, Brown is a converted backrow who played there against Argentina last year, it is a very Gregor Townsend thing to do.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup-2019/typhoon-hagibis-threatens-to-derail-irelands-world-cup-hopes-38568957.html
So if the Ireland Vs Samoa match was cancelled it would be counted as a draw and potentially allow both Scotland and Japan to qualify for the quarter final ahead of Ireland.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BabyFur Denny posted:

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rugby-world-cup-2019/typhoon-hagibis-threatens-to-derail-irelands-world-cup-hopes-38568957.html
So if the Ireland Vs Samoa match was cancelled it would be counted as a draw and potentially allow both Scotland and Japan to qualify for the quarter final ahead of Ireland.

what the gently caress

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

what the gently caress

Scotland is God's chosen team.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

Which could possibly happen because it’s still typhoon season here. That was brought up as the rule a while back. Another option I heard earlier today is moving a match location.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

misread that as typhoon haggis and took it as an omen.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
According to the article it is much more likely that the match would get moved to a different stadium rather than be cancelled. I imagine the cancelled match scenario would only occur in an extreme situation where unsafe weather conditions happen very suddenly and unexpectedly and there is no time to move the match. The authorities in this case are clearly aware of the developing storm so will be able to make an early decision.

Scotland will qualify if they beat Japan regardless of the Ireland result with the exception that Japan lose and pick up both bonus points so if the match is cancelled the real beneficiaries would be Japan who would then be guaranteed progress.

Edit: I guess another scenario for Scotland to go out would be if Ireland get a 4 point victory over Samoa and Scotland beat Japan with both sides getting a bonus point as that would leave Scotland in third on score difference (assuming Scotland get a bonus point win vs Russia but don't give them a huge walloping to significantly improve their score difference).

Flayer fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Flayer posted:

Scotland will qualify if they beat Japan regardless of the Ireland result
If the Ireland game is cancelled then unless I'm mistaken I think Scotland can still fail to qualify if they don't pick up at least 1 bonus point against either Russia or Japan.