Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Evan Blass is reliable, isn't he? Edited the wording either way

He protected his twitter account so I can't even see the source for it. And he's been wrong before. Either way, let's decide how we feel about prices when they're actually announced. In 10 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
In fairness, those could have been set before Apple had their event, so yeah, Google could do a surprise price match with the 11 on the base model.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

realtalk: they need to set crazy high prices so the Black Friday prices actually turn a profit.

The only people buying a pixel in week 1 are YouTubers to write reviews, so that income is fine.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

gariig posted:

YouTube Premium is a good reason to stay with Google Play Music, I don't know how the masses live with all the ads on YouTube. Otherwise, yeah Spotify is much better

This is me, plus being able to upload my own tracks. The day Google music is shut down, I'm cancelling it and finding another service, because gently caress that.

I know GPM is far inferior to most other streaming services in most ways, but being able to put my own music on there and have it live side-by-side with other streamable music is a killer feature, and it's what got me to use the service in the first place. I still haven't forgiven Google for shutting down Inbox, shutting down GPM will probably be the point where I start actively leaving Google services wherever possible, because I'm tired of this poo poo.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

In fairness, those could have been set before Apple had their event, so yeah, Google could do a surprise price match with the 11 on the base model.

I would be surprised if you're not correct here. I take price leaks very very lightly, usually.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm just banking on Google getting distracted by something shiny and forgetting to actually shut down GPM.

mystes
May 31, 2006

docbeard posted:

I'm just banking on Google getting distracted by something shiny and forgetting to actually shut down GPM.
Google makes tons of completely nonsensical decisions but they also seem to be very focused on subscription revenue lately, so I feel like it's hard to predict what will happen. They may turn out to be unwilling to kill GPM if it still has users who haven't migrated to Youtube Music.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ah ok, thanks.

Also rumored Canadian Pixel 4 pricing leaked. I think I'm gonna switch over to a 7T :(

Edit: I guess I'll have to mod in Gcam? I'm so used to my Pixel 2's awesome camera

Yeah, this is actually really easy, you just need to download a single APK and install it on your own.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mystes posted:

Google makes tons of completely nonsensical decisions but they also seem to be very focused on subscription revenue lately, so I feel like it's hard to predict what will happen. They may turn out to be unwilling to kill GPM if it still has users who haven't migrated to Youtube Music.

Play Music subscribers are already YouTube Music subscribers by default though so I doubt that will deter them much.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

Play Music subscribers are already YouTube Music subscribers by default though so I doubt that will deter them much.

It should be simple to see usage though, yeah? Like I've never intentionally used YouTube Music, despite subscribing to GPM forever and using it daily. Still dunno if that will deter them, but they should be able to quantify "subscribers we could lose since they only use GPM."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wouldn't it stand to reason that if they gave any poo poo at all about keeping GPM subscribers they'd have 1) improved GPM at some point over the last few years in any way at all and 2) not announced its slow death a year and a half in advance while pointing to a clearly-not-ready replacement that not only lacked the headline feature of GPM but didn't even have an equivalent music library?

If anything their metrics probably clearly indicated that it wasn't worth keeping the service alive since, you know, they've killed it. The people up the thread hoping it won't go away are delusional given it's not even included on the Pixel 4 by default. After going to Spotify it's pretty clear to me why it's being euthanized, GPM as a music service just simply isn't competitive at all and users who care about their files should really just use Plex or something similar. In terms of breadth of available tracks and music discovery GPM isn't anywhere near good enough.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have mostly switched over to using YouTube music over GPMfor day to day use. If you spend a bit of time telling it what you like the personalized mixtape is pretty good. The offline mixtape is super useful if I'm travelling a lot too

The main thing i miss is there doesn't appear to be a way to browse all the radio stations by mood/decade/genre etc. You get a random selection on on the home screen but i can't find a way of getting to the full selection like on GPM

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Even Google probably realizes that anyone who's still on Play Music music will probably cancel if they kill it at this point. I'm sure they have exact numbers on how many subscribers are using each app. They aren't updating it any more, but that doesn't mean they'll necessarily be in a hurry to kill it outright if it will cost them money.

Even if they announce that they're killing it I would expect them to give a date a year or more in the future.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I tried out YouTube Music a few months ago and my first impression was insanely bad. It felt like it didn't have feature parity with GPM at all. My primary use case is to specifically look up music instead of doing discovery stuff, but when I tried looking up Queen it returned me a bunch of results of stuff uploaded by randos off YouTube? Like I know GPM already does that sometimes, but it at least has the good sense to quarantine the user uploaded garbage to the bottom of search results in its own section so I can ignore it. I don't want to pay $15/mo so I can browse through some nerds' songs that have been ripped and re-encoded 8 different times like it's loving kazaa. I just want to search for a song -> find what album it's on -> listen to that full album!

I fully admit I'm a curmudgeon and didn't give it a fair shake, but my initial impression of the YTM was so bad I'm going to switch to Spotify the moment they kill it. Am I crazy or is the user experience really like this?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

yergacheffe posted:

I tried out YouTube Music a few months ago and my first impression was insanely bad. It felt like it didn't have feature parity with GPM at all. My primary use case is to specifically look up music instead of doing discovery stuff, but when I tried looking up Queen it returned me a bunch of results of stuff uploaded by randos off YouTube? Like I know GPM already does that sometimes, but it at least has the good sense to quarantine the user uploaded garbage to the bottom of search results in its own section so I can ignore it. I don't want to pay $15/mo so I can browse through some nerds' songs that have been ripped and re-encoded 8 different times like it's loving kazaa. I just want to search for a song -> find what album it's on -> listen to that full album!

I fully admit I'm a curmudgeon and didn't give it a fair shake, but my initial impression of the YTM was so bad I'm going to switch to Spotify the moment they kill it. Am I crazy or is the user experience really like this?

I had the same experience. The one feature parity i needed they don't have which is playlist transfer from GPM. Presumably because YTM uses youtube video metadata and not song metadata and they don't have a mapping service between the two.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My issue with YouTube Music so far is that some of the albums I listen to in GPM aren't on it (I guess I could always just purchase them). I'll probably stick with Google's offering though for YouTube Premium. Ad blockers are great on PC, but they don't do anything for you when you're using the YouTube app. I use YouTube on my Roku TV for some interval training videos. If you check the comments on those videos it's all "Why did you monetize this? How am I supposed to do this workout with these ads popping up in the middle?" So while Google's music offerings aren't the best, YouTube Premium being included offsets it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

yergacheffe posted:

My belief is that they (Google) really, really, really want to stamp on the 'i want to listen to some music -> put on an album -> listen to album in track order' flow. Much like how '[x] we chose for you' is the default setting in loving everything, they instead want you to be presented with an infinitely-scrolling list of stuff for you to consume, hearting/'liking'/etc ad infinitum. Because all that micro-interaction then feeds into the sum total of 'you' they have in their black box, which is how they create value from you.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

spincube posted:

My belief is that they (Google) really, really, really want to stamp on the 'i want to listen to some music -> put on an album -> listen to album in track order' flow. Much like how '[x] we chose for you' is the default setting in loving everything, they instead want you to be presented with an infinitely-scrolling list of stuff for you to consume, hearting/'liking'/etc ad infinitum. Because all that micro-interaction then feeds into the sum total of 'you' they have in their black box, which is how they create value from you.

If only they were smart enough to quantify a deliberate lack of willingness to interact with their bullshit algorithmic curation systems...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

If only they were smart enough to quantify a deliberate lack of willingness to interact with their bullshit algorithmic curation systems...

Google is first and foremost an advertising company. It's not about what you want, it's about them telling you what to want.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

docbeard posted:

Google is first and foremost an advertising company. It's not about what you want, it's about them telling you what to want.

Well, they're really loving bad at it.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Youtube music only lets you keep 1.95GB or 500 songs offline. The mixes are okay, Spotify is better I guess.
Pretty much just keep subscribed because I watch loads of YouTube not on my computer and don't feel the need to root my pixel 3.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Youtube music only lets you keep 1.95GB or 500 songs offline. The mixes are okay, Spotify is better I guess.
Pretty much just keep subscribed because I watch loads of YouTube not on my computer and don't feel the need to root my pixel 3.

You can download playlists and albums individually, as many as you’d like.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Here's a stupid question...

How are you supposed to switch keyboards when using gesture-based navigation on 10?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Turns out pre order is US only, even require a US billing address. gently caress that. Sigh.

Follow up to this! I sent an email to Anker/Soundcore support asking when it would be available in Canada....and the amazing support rep let me PayPal the pre-order amount in USD and use the US parcel shipping address! So I got a pair (of the Liberty 2 Pros)! I'm honestly super impressed with that kind of support.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Here's a stupid question...

How are you supposed to switch keyboards when using gesture-based navigation on 10?

There's a globe in the bottom left of the keyboard. Tap that to switch back and forth

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mister Facetious posted:

There's a globe in the bottom left of the keyboard. Tap that to switch back and forth

Hmm, I don't get a globe on any of my keyboards.

But...I figured it out. What should happen (at least on my Pixel) is there will be a little keyboard icon appear at bottom right of keyboard. What actually happened in my case was that I had the Live Transcribe accessibility feature enabled...and that makes the little keyboard icon never appear. I think it's a bug?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

But...I figured it out. What should happen (at least on my Pixel) is there will be a little keyboard icon appear at bottom right of keyboard. What actually happened in my case was that I had the Live Transcribe accessibility feature enabled...and that makes the little keyboard icon never appear. I think it's a bug?

My bad, I thought I replied to the iphone thread. :doh:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The app suggestions when I pull up my app drawer disappeared a few days ago on my pixel 2, it's replaced with a google search bar for some reason. Stock launcher, of course. Is that feature just gone now?

I was giving it a bit of time thinking it was a weird play services update that might be reverted but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd flip the setting off and on again to double check but trying to turn it off says it'll delete the usage data and I kinda want to keep that!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

The app suggestions when I pull up my app drawer disappeared a few days ago on my pixel 2, it's replaced with a google search bar for some reason. Stock launcher, of course. Is that feature just gone now?

I was giving it a bit of time thinking it was a weird play services update that might be reverted but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'd flip the setting off and on again to double check but trying to turn it off says it'll delete the usage data and I kinda want to keep that!

This isn't the answer you're looking for really, but nova launcher has the recommended apps list.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Follow up to this! I sent an email to Anker/Soundcore support asking when it would be available in Canada....and the amazing support rep let me PayPal the pre-order amount in USD and use the US parcel shipping address! So I got a pair (of the Liberty 2 Pros)! I'm honestly super impressed with that kind of support.

Anker's support I think is what has set them apart from most of the other cheaper brands.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Wrist Watch posted:

I just checked on my P2XL and yeah, it's gone.
Verified that setting wasn't disabled by long-pressing on "desktop" to pick Home settings and Suggestions, and all are enabled.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pixel 3a is down to just $349 on Amazon.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/07/google-pixel-3a-349-discount/

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

On my Note10+ with their gestures enabled, keyboard switching is done via a silent notification that only appears when the keyboard is pulled up. You could check if that's there when the accessibility stuff is on, might save you from having to disable it when you want to switch.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Charles posted:

Anker's support I think is what has set them apart from most of the other cheaper brands.

Agree.
I have a pair of the Liberty 1s, and they stopped charging for some reason. They shipped me out a new pair with very little over the phone troubleshooting. I shipped my pair back once I got the new set.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

More clarification about OEM custom gesture navigation.

https://9to5google.com/2019/10/07/android-gesture-navigation-systems-google/

Basically:

On Devices Upgraded to 10:

1) Can keep custom naviation option
2) Must include Google Gestures as option as well as 3 buttons
3) Have the option to keep (encouraged) or discard pill navigation

On Devices Shipping with 10:

1) Can keep custom navigation. However, custom navigation cannot be default and must be buried one level deeper in settings (under Advanced) than the Google Navigation and the device can't use any method to make the user aware of the existence of custom navigation.
2) Can choose either 3 button or Google Gestures as default out of the box.
3) Cannot offer pill nav at all.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

On Devices Shipping with 10:

1) Can keep custom navigation. However, custom navigation cannot be default and must be buried one level deeper in settings (under Advanced) than the Google Navigation and the device can't use any method to make the user aware of the existence of custom navigation.
2) Can choose either 3 button or Google Gestures as default out of the box.
3) Cannot offer pill nav at all.

Quality of Google's gesture navigation notwithstanding, this seems like a pretty reasonable approach to establishing a new standard. I don't see a lot of OEMs not using the 3 button as the default tho.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I just hope I can keep the 3 buttons on the Pixel 4....

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've become I big fan of gestures with my OP7 Pro, now I just wish they or Google would find a way to make the recents screen useful with gestures/at all.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm used to the 10 gestures now and don't even have to think about it, though I do wish a 'no back swipe in the top half' could get added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Fart of Presto posted:

I just checked on my P2XL and yeah, it's gone.
Verified that setting wasn't disabled by long-pressing on "desktop" to pick Home settings and Suggestions, and all are enabled.

Well this sucks, guess I'm back to leaving apps on the home screen like some kind of chump.

Taffer posted:

This isn't the answer you're looking for really, but nova launcher has the recommended apps list.

Nova launcher is cool and all but I just wish google would stop changing poo poo for no reason with zero warning.