Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Serf posted:

uhh, that's not what they were trying to do tho. they didn't know it was a life purging super weapon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJTgLH8fgs&t=1642s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

can't watch videos at work

even in halo 3 the covenant think that triggering the halos is what will send them on their great journey to join their gods in the promised land. the prophet of truth dies still believing this. it is the gravemind who uses the prophet of regret and penitent tangent to spell out the whole thing for the player in halo 2

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Hey is throwing viable from a supporting role point of view in Shadowrun Honking? I'm getting tired of my troll decker Bruteforce and want to try a shaman type.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Serf posted:

can't watch videos at work

even in halo 3 the covenant think that triggering the halos is what will send them on their great journey to join their gods in the promised land. the prophet of truth dies still believing this. it is the gravemind who uses the prophet of regret and penitent tangent to spell out the whole thing for the player in halo 2

it's a cutscene where they say that the covenant worship the forerunners as gods, that halo has some religious significance to them and also that they think that it's a super weapon with unlimited power that will allow them to basically give them absolute control over all life in the galaxy or something along those lines, at which point one of the characters assumes that they're going to use it to wipe out humanity

the great journey cult poo poo starts in game 2 but the genocidal religious fanatic poo poo was definitely there in the first game

Serf
May 5, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

it's a cutscene where they say that the covenant worship the forerunners as gods, that halo has some religious significance to them and also that they think that it's a super weapon with unlimited power that will allow them to basically give them absolute control over all life in the galaxy or something along those lines, at which point one of the characters assumes that they're going to use it to wipe out humanity

the great journey cult poo poo starts in game 2 but the genocidal religious fanatic poo poo was definitely there in the first game

afaik the covenant think the halos will let them transcend physical reality just like the forerunners did (in their religion). their fanatical hatred of humanity really gets played up in halo 2, especially if you got the special edition with the instruction manual written from their perspective. it was all 9/11 islamophobic hysteria lol

also, remembering that there was an instruction manual makes me feel old

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Serf posted:

afaik the covenant think the halos will let them transcend physical reality just like the forerunners did (in their religion). their fanatical hatred of humanity really gets played up in halo 2, especially if you got the special edition with the instruction manual written from their perspective. it was all 9/11 islamophobic hysteria lol

also, remembering that there was an instruction manual makes me feel old

the stuff with the great journey all starts with halo 2 i think, i don't remember it at all from the first game. in 1 they just think that halo is a weapon created by their gods. this is the script for that cutscene

quote:

Keyes: While the Covenant had us locked up in here I overheard the guards talking about this ring world. They call it...Halo.

Cortana: One moment, sir. Accessing the Covenant battle net.

Cortana: According to the data in their networks the ring has some kind of deep religious significance. If I'm analyzing this correctly they believe that Halo is some kind of weapon - one with vast, unimaginable power.

Keyes: And it's true. The Covenant kept saying that whoever who controls Halo controls the fate of the universe.

Cortana: Now I see! I have intercepted a number of messages about a Covenant search team scouting for a control room. I thought they were looking for the bridge of a cruiser that I damaged during the battle above the ring, but they must be looking for Halo's control room.

Keyes: That's bad news. If Halo is a weapon and the Covenant gain control of it, they'll use it against us and wipe out the entire human race. Chief, Cortana, I have new mission for you. We need to beat the Covenant to Halo's control room. Marines, lets move.

:shrug:

Serf
May 5, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

the stuff with the great journey all starts with halo 2 i think, i don't remember it at all from the first game. in 1 they just think that halo is a weapon created by their gods. this is the script for that cutscene

:shrug:

given what we end up learning about cortana, i'm not sure she's a reliable source of information. there's a lot of assumptions that she's making there

but yeah, once you get the arbiter's perspective in halo 2, the islamophobic themes become way more apparent. halo 1 was way too close to release when 9/11 happened to reflect the cultural shift, but halo 2 was when it really had time to come out

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

also in halo 3 you team up with the good covenant who realize their prophet is a lie (saudi arabia) to depose the rest of the covenant (al qaeda) but it turns out that the gravemind (capitalism) was playing both sides so you have to destroy the halo arrays (the twin towers) to stop the gravemind from controlling the universe destroying superweapon

what i'm trying to say is that i agree with serf and the story went off the rails after the first halo game

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Serf posted:

given what we end up learning about cortana, i'm not sure she's a reliable source of information. there's a lot of assumptions that she's making there

but yeah, once you get the arbiter's perspective in halo 2, the islamophobic themes become way more apparent. halo 1 was way too close to release when 9/11 happened to reflect the cultural shift, but halo 2 was when it really had time to come out

halo 2 and 3 are bad so i can see this being the case. i honestly can't remember much about either game

actually ill clarify that the first third of halo 2 was pretty fun and that's the entire extent of the campaign that i can remember

turn off the TV has issued a correction as of 14:58 on Oct 7, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

turn off the TV posted:

halo 2 and 3 are bad so i can see this being the case. i honestly can't remember much about either game

i think the halo games stayed pretty good until like 4. 2 ends on a bizarre note where you realize they just ran out of time, but 3 is pure joy. odst has the best single-player campaign and firefight is brilliant, but reach is my favorite purely because that's where firefight was perfected and firefight is the best thing halo ever did

4 didn't interest me and i watched my roommate play 5 and it seemed bad

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Colonel Cancer posted:

Hey is throwing viable from a supporting role point of view in Shadowrun Honking? I'm getting tired of my troll decker Bruteforce and want to try a shaman type.

the goose game sequel we absolutely need.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Fun little cross-game Bungie lore tidbit is that one of the names of the Forerunners in Halo is the Ecumene, and in Destiny, the Ecumene were an ancient alien race that were so powerful that the Hive's war with them is what lead Oryx to become the Taken King to gain the power to eliminate them.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Me and my pal bought halo 4 to coop and were real hyped then it was terrible and you had to rescue the space princess from assassins creed from voldemort who flew around in a big egg. Its possible the space princess was already dead who knows.

Halo 5 iirc was the one I went to buy, turned over to see there was no local coop and dropped it like I'd picked up a dog turd

Still not as bad as whichever gears is the not quite newest one. Played that with the same pal and it was so awful it made me wonder if gears had ever been good

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

the goose game sequel we absolutely need.

The lake was the color of a twitch channel experiencing network trouble.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ATP_Power posted:

Fun little cross-game Bungie lore tidbit is that one of the names of the Forerunners in Halo is the Ecumene, and in Destiny, the Ecumene were an ancient alien race that were so powerful that the Hive's war with them is what lead Oryx to become the Taken King to gain the power to eliminate them.

i love the destiny lore. too bad its communicated in the worst way possible. the way it even ties into marathon is cool

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im replaying halo 2 for the first time since i was about 9 years old and its pretty sick except for all the parts that are supposed to impress someone in 2004 like the levels where you just have to drive a ghost down a tunnel while 7000 flood and covenant shoot at eachother

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

In destiny 2 didn't they even get rid of the little lore cards you could at least read?
Mind you I played to the end of vanilla d1 and d2 and couldn't tell you anything about either of them

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

In destiny 2 didn't they even get rid of the little lore cards you could at least read?
Mind you I played to the end of vanilla d1 and d2 and couldn't tell you anything about either of them

yeah, but you did get some better in-game storytelling, but not enough to make up for the loss of cool lore bits. if the cards had actually been in the game it would have been a lot better imo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Seyser Koze posted:

been stuck on the same day of lobotomy corporation for a week because the magical girl keeps getting bored and killing everyone :gibs:

I got most of the way through day 20 with close calls and got an aleph class armor then a noon I hadn’t seen yet hit and turns out it spawns monoliths on the main rooms that drop and instakill folk they hit and then I ragequit and haven’t played again yet :negative:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You could probably mad lib Destiny and Dark Souls lore together and I couldn't tell the difference

Also trying to find a video of that old lady parodying every Dark Souls NPC

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You could probably mad lib Destiny and Dark Souls lore together and I couldn't tell the difference

Also trying to find a video of that old lady parodying every Dark Souls NPC

poo poo-rear end DEAD DUDE

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Fallom posted:

you gotta try the monofilament whip in Hong Kong. it’s insane and hits from like halfway across the map

I liked Returns and Dragonfall so much but Hong Kong is still gathering mold in my library. I've been meaning to start a mage character for a while, but it looks like it's a bit too complicated compared to my usual decker run. And starting these more complex RPGs is a bit of a pain unless you have plenty of time to spare.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Given that theyr otherwise the bestest games everest and have great voice acting the dark souls games have terrible translation.

I only really noticed after playing nier and drakengard which have excellent localisation etc and even with batshit stories you get the sense the translator knew what the story was which is absolutely not the case with dark souls

It might be on purpose but its kinda a shame, I don't mind esoteric stories but a lot of item text just seems nonsensical or half understood

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Serf posted:

i love the destiny lore. too bad its communicated in the worst way possible. the way it even ties into marathon is cool

the books of sorrow from the taken king are awesome and i wish they'd do more

destiny 2's whole thing with the emperor always fell a bit flat for me

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

every from game has a bad translation, dark souls was extremely understandable compared to acv, where every battle is the final battle against father

Serf
May 5, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

the books of sorrow from the taken king are awesome and i wish they'd do more

destiny 2's whole thing with the emperor always fell a bit flat for me

yeah the books of sorrow appeal to my love of weird sci-fi lore. sorta like the wild backstory to the elder scrolls series

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Serf posted:

yeah the books of sorrow appeal to my love of weird sci-fi lore. sorta like the wild backstory to the elder scrolls series

i just remembered the weird cabal lore fragment where it talks about player characters jumping around and dancing everywhere after they wiped out a patrol

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Serf posted:

yeah, but you did get some better in-game storytelling, but not enough to make up for the loss of cool lore bits. if the cards had actually been in the game it would have been a lot better imo

I mean there's a bunch of lore cards in the triumphs part of the menu, all the recent content has had short stories broken up into lore cards you unlock from certain activities which you can read in game (even though it's all better organized and easier to read on Ishtar Collective). I do agree it's a game with awesome lore that generally does a terrible job actually delivering that lore in-game.

I think there is something kinda cool about how scattered and unorganized the lore is for the player and how that relates to the experience of Guardians in the setting. Your character is dropped into this ancient and massively complex world with no memories or context for the world around you and the struggle of the player to piece together what the gently caress is happening in the setting does mirror the confusion that a new Guardian would have after their first resurrection. It is really silly that the best lore repository for the game is a fan website. I've heard the book of the Grimoire that Bungie's put out is really cool and that they're doing a second one covering most of the lore from D2 soon.

If you've been away from the game for a while, the latest expansion has two lore books relating stories from the final days of the Golden Age, one about the Moon and one about the final days of one of the Arcologies on Titan. The one about Titan gives probably the clearest picture of how life was for people living in the Golden Age: https://www.ishtar-collective.net/categories/book-last-days-on-kraken-mare

The season before the current expansion actually did a bunch of stuff with Calus that I thought was really cool, the Red Legion and Ghaul are the boring and lame Cabal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also had an incredibly sad nerdy and stupid random thought comparing Bernie's campaign handling the heart attack to Nintendo announcing the restarting development of Metroid Prime 4, with the running theme that honestly really is the best policy when you have a goal you're trying to accomplish.

The video games industry is incredibly dysfunctional and poorly managed, not in the least so where it comes to its relationship with customers. I don't think I need to explain, though I feel a big part if it is that the industry treats consumers with utter contempt and blinding ignorance, which the consumers are pretty aware of. The industry being opaque and dishonest causes the fans to become frustrated, paranoid and superstitious, because no one knows which inputs will produce what outputs and the only thing that seems to sometimes get a response is sustained and targeted outrage.

You can probably draw the comparisons there. People don't like feeling that they're being kept out of the loop, especially when an incredibly piss-poor attempt is made to hide it. And having contempt for your audience means you're going to stop listening, stop communicating, and inevitably become dumber and dumber because you think everyone else is dumber than you, until inevitably you end up drowning in your own piss.

But when you're open and honest even about bad news and setbacks, people not only have less reason to panic because they're not left to assume the worst, but they feel included and trusted, that they can be honest about their mistakes and ask about how to fix them and learn from them, and trust that the people in charge actually do care about the goal they're working towards and aren't just putting up a minimum effort facade of doing something.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

tbf gamers should be treated with utter contempt

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

i downloaded destiny 2 cuz i never played a bungie game since halo 3 and i finished the tutorial and made it to the big city i guess and i have no idea what im doing or what i should be doing and apparently im maxed level already idk

Serf
May 5, 2011

my fave thing in destiny lore is the implication that the traveler tried to abandon humanity (like it did with the fallen) but rasputin hosed it up with nukes and forced it to stay and help us

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Agean90 posted:

tbf gamers should be treated with utter contempt

thing is people use that as an excuse to somehow find a way to be worse

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

i just remembered the weird cabal lore fragment where it talks about player characters jumping around and dancing everywhere after they wiped out a patrol

There's also a great lore card about an Awoken that becomes a Guardian that's in the same vein

Ishtar Collective posted:

Savin the Guardian showed a tremendous fondness for doing things; he had a pathologically task-oriented nature, which made him very useful to the Reef. Yet there was always the sense that his Ghost was watching, observing, reporting. And Savin was most of all greedy—not in the grasping manner of the petty, but in an enormous, all-consuming way, for he desired materials and experiences that would temper him into a better Guardian, and he was always experimenting with his strange powers in foolish ways that left him briefly dead, seeking "a new Super ability" or "some way to make my grenades faster." He grew tired of performing trivial tasks about the Reef, complaining that the dangerous repairs he made were endless and boring, and that he wanted to move on to new worlds. He leapt into space, repeatedly and without reason, as if his death were no more traumatic than a hop off a curb. Obsessed with reward and efficiency, he would rather do one profitable thing a thousand times than waste his efforts on a less beneficial novelty.

Serf posted:

my fave thing in destiny lore is the implication that the traveler tried to abandon humanity (like it did with the fallen) but rasputin hosed it up with nukes and forced it to stay and help us
I know it's kinda taken as gospel at this point, but my understanding is that it's not 100% clear in the lore that Rasputin did attack the Traveller or if it was just considering that as one contingency. Either way, it was probably the right decision.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

thing is people use that as an excuse to somehow find a way to be worse

True, I should probably clarify that game companies and the pissant tyrants who run them are also deserving of utter contempt.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Manufacturing Consent as explained by a VN about techno-magic child-soldiers:

AFancyQuestionMark has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Oct 7, 2019

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Kitfox88 posted:

I got most of the way through day 20 with close calls and got an aleph class armor then a noon I hadn’t seen yet hit and turns out it spawns monoliths on the main rooms that drop and instakill folk they hit and then I ragequit and haven’t played again yet :negative:

The best part was when I finally suppressed her without losing anyone and then accidentally pushed the shiny red button while drag-selecting :saddowns:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

redneck nazgul posted:

also in halo 3 you team up with the good covenant who realize their prophet is a lie (saudi arabia) to depose the rest of the covenant (al qaeda) but it turns out that the gravemind (capitalism) was playing both sides so you have to destroy the halo vriska (vriska) to stop the gravemind from controlling the universe destroying superweapon

what i'm trying to say is that i agree with serf and the story went off the rails after the first halo game

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

they need to make a halo game that revolves purely around the swordfighting from either 2 or 3, i dont remember. i havent played halo in like 12 years but i remember that being fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

does anyone still play chivalry medieval warfare. that was a fun game