Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Neither of them is quite right, but the director's cut at least brings up that the zombies deserve to live and have agency, which was the big twist in the book.

The theatrical cut is so maudlin and I couldn't believe the lady just drove to some gated community where everything is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

Kanine posted:

i know this is a really hard question, but what's your favorite zombie movie of all time

That is a bloody hard question. i Kinda want to say Return of the living dead 2. I know its not a perfect movie, not by a long shot, but i really liked the way they portrayed how getting bitten affects someone and how they try to fight it.
On the other hand, Braindead, because you.......braindead.
Other ones worth mentioning: Rec, first person gimmick movie, but it actually worked really really well.
More of an possession and demon movie than pure zombie movie, but one i have to watch over and over atleast couple of times a year, Tales from the crypt: Demon Knight.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does anybody know of movies where characters swap personalities (not bodies or minds) besides Persona, 3 Women, and Performance?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
do you mean like in where 2 different characters take on each others personality?.

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 6, 2019

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My favourite zombie movie is actually probably either Train to Busan or, of course, Shaun of the Dead.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Desperately need some laid back gritty crime dramas, I just watched the two Brother films as well as Sisters and I thought they were amazing. I don’t really know what I’m looking for, those movies weren’t as violent as I thought they’d be and they were a lot more genuine than I would’ve expected.

Edit: I watched them after finishing GTA4, so anything like that also works.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Little Odessa

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
when i watch Live and die in LA i think about GTA

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1401143/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

A movie from Finland. It's a lovely Christmas fantasy/horror film. If you buy it on DVD you also get the two short films that preceded it, which are darkly hilarious little masterpieces themselves.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

ive been watching movies with a friend lately but we've both run out of movies we know of. recently we've watched and enjoyed:

mixed nuts
bartleby
the life aquatic with steve zissou
stalker
the brother from another planet
time bandits
the warriors
big trouble in little china
phantom of the paradise
my giant
kingpin
murphys romance (but only because it was weirdly dated)
the royal tenenbaums

we've also watched but not enjoyed:

brazil, it made me very sad
dragnet, dated but not in a funny way
wise guys, also not very funny

if people could please recommend as many movies as possible along the lines of the ones we enjoyed but unlike the ones we didnt enjoy that would be great, thankyou

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
hell comes to frogtown
the new barbarians (might be the worst movie on the list but worth it for the soundtrack alone, its worth rewatches for just the soundtrack)
blood for dracula
tremors
blue thunder
utu
extreme prejudice
rapid fire
near dark

maybe you will like some of these but you might also hate some of them!

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey does anyone have particularly good recommendations for ww2 underground resistance films?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Kanine posted:

hey does anyone have particularly good recommendations for ww2 underground resistance films?

i like army of shadows, its about the french resistance. very gritty and grim but a great film

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Kanine posted:

Kanal; Casablanca; Underground; Schindler's List; Rome, Open City; Svoi; Went the Day Well?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kanine posted:

Depending on what you mean by underground resistance, even something like Come and See might count.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
nine lives from 1957 about the norwegian resistance was nominated for an oscar and voted greatest norwegian movie of all time. i dont think many people outside of norway have seen this but its fantastic and escapes a lot of the negative trappings of older norwegian cinema. its also based on a true story

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Kanine posted:

Anthropoid is pretty decent.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Looking for dreamy, nightmarish, Lynchian horror movies. It's a really specific request, but I love stories where a character passes from the real world into a dream/purgatory/whatever. Things like Jacob's Ladder, Inland Empire, As Above So Below, the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Channel Zero, Baskin, etc.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bergman's Persona and Hour of the Wolf, which were a huge influence on Lynch's style. Svankmajer's Alice, which is the only Alice in Wonderland adaptation that actually feels like you've entered a child's nightmare. And if you're not averse to (quasi-)silent cinema, try Dreyer's Vampyr.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for dreamy, nightmarish, Lynchian horror movies. It's a really specific request, but I love stories where a character passes from the real world into a dream/purgatory/whatever. Things like Jacob's Ladder, Inland Empire, As Above So Below, the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Channel Zero, Baskin, etc.

Messiah of Evil is a super dreamy nightmare that gives me a similar feeling to Lynch's movies.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Lester Shy posted:

Kill List for sure, Videodrome, maybe I'm reaching here but also Barton Fink and The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Lester Shy posted:

Berberian Sound Studio, Beyond the Black Rainbow, Mandy, The Neon Demon, Only God Forgives, Tropical Malady, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Evolution (Hadzihalilovic), Climax (Noé), mother!, Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning, Safe (Haynes), look up Andrzej Zulawski's filmography

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lester Shy posted:

Mulholland Drive if that has somehow passed you by.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Pi.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Kanine posted:

They're more interesting as historical documents than relaxation movies but Hitchcock made two French-language propaganda films during the war to help gather support for the French Resistance. Aventure malgache and Bon Voyage, both from 1944.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've got serious Epstein brain. I've seen JFK and Eyes Wide Shut recently, what's next?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've got serious Epstein brain. I've seen JFK and Eyes Wide Shut recently, what's next?

If you want conspiracy thrillers, The Parallax View and All the President’s Men are definitely worth watching.

E: Soylent Green as well

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Manchurian candidate is a classic. i think its great! it also has multiple connections to JFK which i think is a very good film.

it would make a great double feature with JFK if that movie wasnt 3 hours long and you hadnt already watched it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Looking for movies like Dial M for Murder and Rope. Murder mystery or detective stories with relatively low stakes, a small cast, few locations, probably based on a play. Not necessarily old movies, but I imagine they're more common in the 40s-70s.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for movies like Dial M for Murder and Rope. Murder mystery or detective stories with relatively low stakes, a small cast, few locations, probably based on a play. Not necessarily old movies, but I imagine they're more common in the 40s-70s.

And Then There Were None (1945)
Sorry, Wrong Number
Witness for the Prosection (maybe? it's been years since I've seen it, but I remember it having limited locations)
Sleuth
The Offence (less a murder mystery and more a "what led to this?")
Deathtrap

I've heard good things about The Last of Sheila too, but I've never seen it.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If you're up for dark comic takes on the genre, Under The Silver Lake has some solid Epstein vibes and Winter Kills is an interesting counterpart to JFK.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Looking for more movies like Chinatown. Want high production values and literary themes and great acting / directing. Being a "detective movie" is a plus but not a requirement. Similiar ones I've seen and enjoyed : Seven, LA Confidential,Memories of Murder.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

vincentpricesboner posted:

Looking for more movies like Chinatown. Want high production values and literary themes and great acting / directing. Being a "detective movie" is a plus but not a requirement. Similiar ones I've seen and enjoyed : Seven, LA Confidential,Memories of Murder.

The Conversation, Klute, Night Moves, Burning, The Conformist.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
What Fred Astaire movies should I be watching? Only ones with dancing please. I've already seen TOP HAT and EASTER PARADE.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Clipperton posted:

What Fred Astaire movies should I be watching? Only ones with dancing please. I've already seen TOP HAT and EASTER PARADE.

Swing Time and The Barkleys of Broadway.

My favorite is Yolanda and the Thief but it only has a few dance scenes.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

FitFortDanga posted:

Swing Time and The Barkleys of Broadway.

My favorite is Yolanda and the Thief but it only has a few dance scenes.

Thanks! BARKLEYS is on Criterion Channel, I'll get to it when I'm done with GODZILLA RAIDS AGAIN.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
good cyberpunk movies?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'm looking for anything in a similar vein to Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (the 2011 film). Doesn't necessarily have to be espionage related, I just really enjoyed the whole "great actors talking their way through a convoluted situation" thing :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The problem with wanting more things like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is that it's the best one—everything else will pale in comparison to that perfectly-wound script. For more modern stuff I'd say Fincher's films have similar qualities, Social Network especially. Frost/Nixon has a lot of that same DNA. Good Night and Good Luck. There Will Be Blood. The Constant Gardener. You can probably pull a list of "political thrillers" that will send you down a good path. But TTSS to me feels very much like a 60s/early 70s drama, so tapping into that more might scratch the itch for you—The Conversation, All the President's Men, Three Days of the Condor. And it wouldn't hurt to catch Smiley's People and really any other le Carre adaptation, even if none of them can match the brilliance of TTSS.

DoctorGonzo posted:

good cyberpunk movies?

Depends on your definition of good, and on your flexibility on what constitutes Cyberpunk. Blade Runner/2049, Brazil, Akira, and the first Matrix are really the only excellent full-on "classic" Cyberpunk films as the genre tends to be defined in pop culture.

If you're willing to get weird with it, though, you can throw in all kinds of movies and TV shows—Metropolis, La Jetee/12 Monkeys, Alphaville, THX-1138, World on a Wire, Eraserhead, Stalker, the Max Headroom TV series, the Robocop TV series and movies, Her, the first season of Westworld, The Animatrix, Gattaca, Dark City, Minority Report, Inception, Total Recall, Altered Carbon, Batman Beyond, Children of Men, Total Recall 2070 (okay, guilty pleasure), a whole bunch of anime, and the entirety of reality in 2019. The lines blur between dystopian sci-fi and cyberpunk often.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

The problem with wanting more things like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is that it's the best one—everything else will pale in comparison to that perfectly-wound script. For more modern stuff I'd say Fincher's films have similar qualities, Social Network especially. Frost/Nixon has a lot of that same DNA. Good Night and Good Luck. There Will Be Blood. The Constant Gardener. You can probably pull a list of "political thrillers" that will send you down a good path. But TTSS to me feels very much like a 60s/early 70s drama, so tapping into that more might scratch the itch for you—The Conversation, All the President's Men, Three Days of the Condor. And it wouldn't hurt to catch Smiley's People and really any other le Carre adaptation, even if none of them can match the brilliance of TTSS.
Heh, the reason I came here to ask is that everything I've tried to find in a similar vein didn't hold a candle to TTSS but there's a fair bit of stuff here that I haven't tried so thanks for that mate :)