Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Man whoever was complaining boss HP was too high should see NG+, it's ludicrously high on the higher difficulty. No wonder people flock to final journey buff stacking builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
why is the run from the nearest mistle to the fourth successor so long

The boss seemed kinda easy in the two attempts I tried but it's bedtime so I'll have to see if that holds up tomorrow. Easy would be nice considering the two minutes of running every time I die

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

why is the run from the nearest mistle to the fourth successor so long

The boss seemed kinda easy in the two attempts I tried but it's bedtime so I'll have to see if that holds up tomorrow. Easy would be nice considering the two minutes of running every time I die

I died to that boss two times and got a companion for the next try because gently caress wasting my time like that on a boss run

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I spent 50 points to get Louis' weapon and it's worse than the generic Hanemukuro you can buy from the store with seemingly no upside. :cheerdoge:

Luceid posted:

Louis give me back all that candy I traded you for your katana, it's identical to the one I already had. Louis I DEMAND my CANDY BACK you FUCKER

:v:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
It's so weird that the demo had a menu option at mistles to switch your partner but the final game makes you warp to the homebase and back every time.

Kalion
Jul 23, 2004

:gifttank:
Panzer vor!

Agnostalgia posted:

It's so weird that the demo had a menu option at mistles to switch your partner but the final game makes you warp to the homebase and back every time.

The option to switch partners at any mistle is available in new game plus at least.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I found that I could get normal mobility with a fortified zweihander in Atlas if I do the reduced weight transformation on the lightest blood veil I can find

I still don't feel that squishy but Atlas has a lot of hp

What’s the reduced weight thing?

Also I use hammers instead because they’re more fun and I’m a special snowflake but they get the same job done

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

What’s the reduced weight thing?

Also I use hammers instead because they’re more fun and I’m a special snowflake but they get the same job done

One of the transformations (alleviation I think) reduces weight in exchange for lowered stats. Opposite of Fortification.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You trade like 1-2% in stats on veils in exchange for lowering the weight significantly, it's a very good transformation on most of the veils. Trade with Louis for the chromes.

Hammer are great. Really wish the game had more boss hammers though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Oh I just wasn’t sure who’s got the chromes for it. Excellent

I’m still not sure what the best veil is for a block build though

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think I might have missed something in the story but If the Attendants were created from Cruz, why do they look like Louis' sister?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Louis' weapon has B/B strength/dex scaling vs. C/B+ on the Hanamukuro. That's enough to put it ahead on any code with strength at worst one step below dex. Still a super minor difference, though.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
https://youtu.be/hiKDm46wVwA

Jesus Christ.

NG+6 level 1 solo all bosses no damage. The cannoneer fight is at 24:40.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh that's cool, had no idea the faster cast gift worked on the physical skills too.

On reddit someone posted the gift from the assassin code that increases damage/guard pen on your next attack works on spell-gifts too, and won't ever go away on casts too. Kind of a neat hidden mechanic/bug.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I didn’t realize you could stack weapon buffs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think you can stack the elemental/ailment buffs, but the straight damage-ups? Those are fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The elemental buff items all make it sound like they just change the damage type of your weapon, are they secretly buffs like in Dark Souls?

I've noticed the tooltips are pretty poorly translated in places.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

cheetah7071 posted:

The elemental buff items all make it sound like they just change the damage type of your weapon, are they secretly buffs like in Dark Souls?

I've noticed the tooltips are pretty poorly translated in places.
You can only stack the same element I think, although I'm not sure what happens with a weapon that has an innate elemental, I think it'll just overwrite and you'll lose whatever innate elemental bonuses you could have leveraged when stacking.

Elemental buffing in this game can be pretty bad though, if an enemy is resistant to the element type then your entire damage output suffers drastically because they aren't splitting the damage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/codevein/comments/deic0z/this_is_how_elemental_buffs_work_for_melee_users/

On the other hand when you find an enemy that is actually weak to something, you can end up completely obliterating some things. Those stupid aurora brutes seem to get a super bad fire vulnerability after breaking their armor once, leading to them just getting outright deleted (while you get deleted when the other one decides to instant charge you zzzz)

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 7, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Beat it just now and got the Good ending.
So with that little teaser monster you see in one of the cutscenes near the end...
The B.O.R. is just a form of Aragami right?

Yes. Their functionality (organism that takes over every individual cell of its host's body that's held at a level of invasion that still ensures free will to the host) is almost the same as what God Eaters get, and the "living" character of the blood veil drain attacks brings to mind the eater ability of God Arcs. The implication is that either the original idea for God Eaters came from revenants, or that two geographically separate regions managed to figure out a way to fight the aragami that differed mostly in the details.

Rascyc posted:

You can only stack the same element I think, although I'm not sure what happens with a weapon that has an innate elemental, I think it'll just overwrite and you'll lose whatever innate elemental bonuses you could have leveraged when stacking.

The stat screen for your weapon will still show the weapon's innate element if you stack a different elemental buff, so I believe they both continue to count.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
what a headache then, you could accidentally ruin your damage so easily in this game

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Having a completely hosed up elemental resist system with fully made up display numbers that makes no coherent sense is perfectly on-brand for a Souls-esque game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I want to disagree, but...

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Thumbtacks posted:

https://youtu.be/hiKDm46wVwA

Jesus Christ.

NG+6 level 1 solo all bosses no damage. The cannoneer fight is at 24:40.

Where's the Boreal brutes?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
not to brag but, uh

what was everyone's hang up with cannoneer? I tried to focus him down because of all the hype about how he was hard and kept getting off-screen charged by his smough until I just nuked her down first to give him some halberding and, uh, he just died. without a fuss.

did I miss out on something here

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Were you solo or did you have a companion? The former is pretty tricky until you get used to the strict timing. If you've discovered buff stacking + final journey by this point then it's not too bad though but I don't think everyone knew about that build at the time.

Oh if you just mean cannoneer himself he's a chump, it's just the stupid ground fire attack while you battle the ice lady. There's a twist on that fight in the depths you might enjoy though.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 7, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The main trick with Cannoneer/Blade Dancer sans companion is that you have to try and bait out Cannoneer's flamethrower in a position where you can hide behind a pillar and clobber Blade Dancer while he uselessly fires into it. It's still an awkward fight that can be awfully frustrating if you're running with only light defenses, and is further proof that developers still only have a vague grasp on what made O&S a good encounter.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The main trick with them is to use the fire defense gift, the ice defense gift, and the general-purpose elemental defense gift, at which point their elemental attacks (read: most of them) do minimal or even 0 damage to you.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
it feels a little unfair to give smough a gun

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

smough is way less dangerous with a gun tbh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Merilan posted:

smough is way less dangerous with a gun tbh

actual smough is worthless if you separate the two of them, which is really easy to do because ornstein is way faster. that's the whole dynamic of the fight

I think I have a winning strat (just need to git gud) but if you replaced canoneer with actual smough the fight would be trivial

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I wish Suicide Spur was a claw-type.

In fact I probably just wish all veils were claw-types. I don't need range or aoe, I need speed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm about an hour in and good lord I have zero idea what I'm doing beyond mashing square.

But I have made The Prettiest Anime Boy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

patch notes posted:

Enabled option to change partners at Mistle from the beginning.
Added a new function to lock the map direction.
Added a new function to turn off conversations during exploration.
Added pop-up messages when afflicted with status ailment.
Changed the trigger conditions for “The Trial of Blood.”
Enabled option to drain ichor from the sandbag during training.

Where the gently caress was most of this at launch

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Should have only added an option to make your partner talk more

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Lol wow

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tae posted:

It isn't even in today, the news post for it says that the patch will be out at the end of the month.

We're getting spooky halloween attire, at least.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am kind of surprised that Jack didn't recognize the player character the moment they first share a scene together instead of after the successor of the ribcage boss battle.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't think you can stack the elemental/ailment buffs, but the straight damage-ups? Those are fine.

oh i misinterpreted one of those buffs, forgot what bridge to glory looked like.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Saint Freak posted:

I wish Suicide Spur was a claw-type.

In fact I probably just wish all veils were claw-types. I don't need range or aoe, I need speed.

I'm of the opinion that only the claw type is worthwhile, all the others are just absolutely way too slow to be practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

actual smough is worthless if you separate the two of them, which is really easy to do because ornstein is way faster. that's the whole dynamic of the fight

I think I have a winning strat (just need to git gud) but if you replaced canoneer with actual smough the fight would be trivial

i guess that's fair, most of what i remember about smough is that one charge attack where he delays like two seconds before swiping his hammer up and always falling for it