Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Sjonkel posted:

Looking at the top16 list from the latest SCG Standard Classic (http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/Star_City_Games_Classic/2019-10-06_standard_Philadelphia_PA_US/1/), there are many different decks, and surprisingly few Golos decks. Which of these decks do you guys think are well positioned in the Bo3 ladder on Arena?

All the people playing Golos made day 2 of the Open. :mmmsmug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Went 4-2. Glad to see most goons had positive results.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I fired up that mono red list Aaron Barich did a deck tech on for the event (3-2, whatever) because it looked rad, and then they won the Classic on Selesnya.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I went 0-2 in the event with wishboard fires, first was to mana issues and I think the second was just to going second against a gates deck, felt like i was a turn too late with all of my actions, couldnt get Narset down before guild summit, couldnt answer the summit before dealing with some large creatures.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Went 8-0, then dropped the next two with Bant Golos. I had some really fun close games. The first loss was a mirror where I had a really bad opening and the opponent had a good one I was way behind by turn 5 and couldn't come back. The second loss was a quick blowout to simic flash where they got their creatures down early and locked me out while they beat me down.

Overall the event was really cool and more enjoyable and tense than I expected.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

found a fun bug, you can't wish for basic lands in draft. luckily I had a witch's cottage to find but otherwise I'd have been pretty hosed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is it time to maindeck 4 Unmoored Ego? I see a lot of decks depending on a few key cards and it'd only really whiff against aggro. T3 might be too slow though, so it'd need to go with quench etc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Baby it's always time to maindeck 4 Egos

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

Slamburger posted:

Went 8-0, then dropped the next two with Bant Golos. I had some really fun close games. The first loss was a mirror where I had a really bad opening and the opponent had a good one I was way behind by turn 5 and couldn't come back. The second loss was a quick blowout to simic flash where they got their creatures down early and locked me out while they beat me down.

Overall the event was really cool and more enjoyable and tense than I expected.

This was my exact experience down to the game except I didn't get 8 wins before going 0-2 lol. Game 1, they drew golos I didn't. Game 2, every card I played was countered by simic flash.

I'm only playing field at the moment because I started playing right around M20 so I was able collect lots of good M20 rares from drafting, so less wild cards needed. But when I first started following standard again a month before joining arena, I was shocked at how oppressive esper control was with all the duels allowing people to play all the best cards in 3 colors with no downside. That deck interacted by basically destroying everything or making you discard it with thought erasure. Field feels like the answer standard needed to break that up. Like you want to lock me down with teferi and blow up everything good I do with no win condition? Well then deal with a relentless army of 2/2s off of lands you can't interact with. Since field was everywhere, I have faith people will actively be brewing to beat it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Is it time to maindeck 4 Unmoored Ego? I see a lot of decks depending on a few key cards and it'd only really whiff against aggro. T3 might be too slow though, so it'd need to go with quench etc

fires and golos decks have incredibly powerful + robust late games and will absolutely roll you if you sacrifice cards and tempo to remove some cards from their library. dance decks not so much but i've won plenty of games with just a few doom fortolds.

focus on finding your own powerful thing to do, answering your opponent is not a winning strategy at the moment

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok so it looks like the only real deck with a favorable game 1 vs Golos is Jeskai Fires?

There are so many Simic food decks and they all run different cards and most of them are so bad.

Also no bans, this is standard

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 7, 2019

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I started playing again for the first time in several months, and I'm having a hard time figuring out what the beginner progression is supposed to be. I skipped the tutorial and ended up with 5 mono decks and two dual colored. None of them are standard legal, though there's a "Play" mode that I is for casual play and will match based on performance so I won't go up against tuned up Historical decks. Am I expected to put together a standard deck from scratch, or is there supposed to be a pathway from the starter decks to format legal ones?

Right now, I'm just going to throw my hands up at constructed and stick to drafting. I went 7 for 1 last night!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I feel like that Golos net deck should drop 1 Boris gate for one gurl gate. Being off green after mull is how I lost both games to aggro.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I feel like that Golos net deck should drop 1 Boris gate for one gurl gate. Being off green after mull is how I lost both games to aggro.

You lose way more often because you don't have your white sources for wipes and teferi than you do for missing green. You want these gates to be searchable via Circuitous Route, which requires a green source anyway.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Homers BBBq posted:

This was my exact experience down to the game except I didn't get 8 wins before going 0-2 lol. Game 1, they drew golos I didn't. Game 2, every card I played was countered by simic flash.

It was funny that separate from the losses, my two most rewarding wins were also against a mirror and a flash deck.

The mirror was just an awesome game that was pretty even the whole way. I got more fields down early but didn't have enough land dumpers to press my advantage and eventually he got his fields down so for a while it was 3 fields apiece, and eventually 4 apiece. Lots of interesting board clears. The first blood that was even drawn was when he was able to swing in for 10 with a krasis, which I wiped next turn. The game went so late that the turn before I beat him he was able to get two Golos activations! I don't even run two red sources. I finally beat him with a big batch of Kenrith hasted zombies from an empty board after a teferi wipe on his end step.

The flash game was a slower start for my opponent than my loss and I was able to resolve a lot of my ramp spells so I was able to survive to a key turn with 8 mana and only 4 life left: So I could play teferi and a wipe. He had to counter the teferi but didn't have the mana to counter the wipe. Then he chose to rebuild his board next turn instead of leaving his mana open, so I was able to land another teferi and enough blockers to cover his board (grazer mvp), and then it was game over for him with a teferi he couldn't remove.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Torbran, Thane of Red Fell is a lot of fun when you get to drop it in Cavalcade.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Torbran seems a lot better in non-cavalcade decks tbh. I wasnt a believer until I saw it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Torbran is basically the best 4 drop for any red deck ever and should absolutely close out the game when he resolves.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
pro tip: don't steal a trostani discordant with oko unless you want to get egg on your face

e: also the ui is bugging out bad, thanks for using the wrong oko ability and making me lose game?!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People constantly complain about forgetting about planeswalker static ability text but no matter how many times I read and play against Mayhem Devil I just instantly forget what it does and die horribly

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bust Rodd posted:

People constantly complain about forgetting about planeswalker static ability text but no matter how many times I read and play against Mayhem Devil I just instantly forget what it does and die horribly

“a player” and “any” really gently caress people over. Nothing like having someone play a troll king from graveyard into two devils for lethal!

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

No matter how many times I get bit by Narset's and Ashiok's static ability I will never remember.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Torbran is basically the best 4 drop for any red deck ever and should absolutely close out the game when he resolves.

Hazoret is the best 4 drop for red ever made but other than that I agree

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rhaegar posted:

No matter how many times I get bit by Narset's and Ashiok's static ability I will never remember.

Any time I'm forced to cast something into Narset and it does that animation, I want to be able to tell my opponent "I totally remembered the static ability but I had to do it anyway!"

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Just got back to MTGA, mastery pass cool and good or bad?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
its pure profit after you hit level 42, but you will inevitably stress out trying to max it out at end of season. You can also just buy it after you hit level 42 (which is what I'm doing) in case you stop playing for whatever reason.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What do you think of foxes

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah I played Arena as normal without the mastery pass and did the math on whether I should buy the M20 Mastery pass like one day before it expired. I didn't play as much during the M20 season because Kethis Combo and Scapeshift/Golos Nexus were so so bad. Turns out I came out ahead by like 2 packs or something small so I got it anyway.

Side note, probably not gonna play much more of Eldraine Season due to Golos Fields being so dominant at the moment in much the same way. Hope some of the MPLers or genius brewers are hiding some secret tech or something for the Mythic Championships in 2 weeks. It's never solved until Strasky and Cifka say it is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure the Czechs are piling as we speak

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

1 win away from mythic, against mono red, at 17 life drop great henge. next 7 draws 6 forests and another great henge. Bad beats.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1181234730659930113

C'mon you couldn't have had one more slot

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Rhaegar posted:

Casting Thought Erasure on Tamiyo makes me feel so loving dumb but I'm sure I will never stop doing it

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'm spending my WCs this season because I always hoard them for the next set and then never get to make any cool decks and end up playing the same 2 things. I'm over my urge to gotta catch em all. I know "wait for the meta to settle" is obvious but then there's only like a month left. I spent all my commons/uncommons/ and all but 8 rares for ELD. I've still got 15 mythic WCs to spend. I have basically every mythic I need/want from the previous sets.

From ELD I already have 4 Oko's, 2 Realm Cloaked Giant, 1 Garruk, 1 Circle of Loyalty and 1 Merriment

Of the 15 WCs I'm definitely making 4x Brazen Borrower

So that leaves 11 for some combination of

4 Questing Beast
2 Realm Cloaked Giant
3 Kenrith
3 Rankle
2-3 Henges
2-3 Royal Scions

What combination of those would you craft? I like playing all sorts of decks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can say no to the Royal scions for sure, and the Great Henge doesn't see as much play as you'd think.

Rankle is strong as gently caress but only viable in mono b, Questing Beast seems very strong in green and g/b aggro/adventure, Kenrith sees play in Fires decks and Realm Cloaked Giant is probably a safe craft.

Is there a specific deck you're working towards

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"The Returned King" is one of the weaker appellations in recent memory

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did you keep the receipt?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

zoux posted:

Is there a specific deck you're working towards

Honestly no, haha. I used my rares and filled out playsets of the essentials.

4x Fabled Passage
4x Murderous Rider
4x Once Upon a Time
4x Fires of Invention
4x Fae of Wishes
4x Bonecrusher Giant
4x Gilded Goose
4x Torbran
4x Wicked Wolf

And a bunch of other stuff. I feel like I have the foundation to build a lot of poo poo. I just need to figure out how to spend my ELD Mythics.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

On the more casual side of things I've seen a really entertaining mostly-green stompy deck focused around Henges, Troll King, Questing Beast, and food/ramp. Savvy Hunter, Oko, assassin's trophy to taste.

Something like:
4 Geese
4 Troll King
2-4 Henge
2-4 Castle Garenbrig
4 Questing Beast
2-4 Return of the Wildspeaker
4 Once Upon a Time
2-4 Wildborn Preserver
2-4 Assassin's Trophy
4 Oko
4 Savvy Hunter

The core is a beatdown built around Troll/Questing/Savvy, with ramp to get into that, Henge/Return for card draw, and Oko/Assassin's Trophy for control. I think I've seen some Paradise Druids slotted in as well, and I'm sure a Hydroid Krasis would be good too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

Honestly no, haha. I used my rares and filled out playsets of the essentials.

4x Fabled Passage
4x Murderous Rider
4x Once Upon a Time
4x Fires of Invention
4x Fae of Wishes
4x Bonecrusher Giant
4x Gilded Goose
4x Torbran
4x Wicked Wolf

And a bunch of other stuff. I feel like I have the foundation to build a lot of poo poo. I just need to figure out how to spend my ELD Mythics.

Here's the lists from SCG this weekend

I don't see any Henges, two Scions in a bad deck, but a bunch of 4-of Questing Beasts and 3/4-of Rankles (I forgot he's BB not BBB so he'll work in golgari). So, cut the Henges and Scions from your possibles, and that's 12 right there. Out of those, I'd skip the second Kenrith imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think if you're waiting for the meta to settle, it's already settled. Not much is going to change except for golos decks teching more and more for the mirror match, or decks looking to win specifically against Fires. If a new deck pops up, it'll probably just be 1 and it might just be good for 1 tournament, unless someone finds something that destroys Golos.