Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some unusually brittle landscape in this Blood Death Blood valley or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m willing to accept that ‘Pagefinder’ can inexplicably appear at Snout’s door, and start talking about the plot of the comic as though it’s been reading it, because the whole thing is just a cutesy device for God to guide His own creation through the narrative. It’s literally Terracciano sending little notes to Snout via the power of **authorship** - while maintaining the self-imposed limitation of only pointing to the arbitrary collectibles, so as not to overwhelm the narrative with his omniscience. (This is implicitly why Pagefinder can’t just print the content of the missing pages on itself and spare us a ton of bullshit).

But telling me God’s “ink magic” only works on one side of the paper? That’s a bridge too far.

This recent comic also breaks from the logic by having Pagefinder identify itself as the physical piece of paper, when it previously self-identified as the spell (i.e. as the free-floating disembodied perspective capable of communicating via the paper).

This shift only “works” if the vomit glitch is the result of the spectral character’s sudden, shocking embodiment. And in that case, it’s both extremely poorly conveyed and (like the paper being one-sided) something that Snout couldn’t possibly know.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this and you're right, the spell went from being an abstract force to a scroll datapad AI. It is now in the paper, and also has like a personality that includes the fear off death. Hard to tell if Mookie just forgot or didn't understand what he was setting up to begin with.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
In its first appearance the spell also apologizes to Snout for getting ink on it, which you wouldn’t expect from what’s essentially a magical .exe file. Think he’s going more for a Fi from Skyward Sword sort of deal.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

TheHan posted:

In its first appearance the spell also apologizes to Snout for getting ink on it, which you wouldn’t expect from what’s essentially a magical .exe file. Think he’s going more for a Fi from Skyward Sword sort of deal.

Sure, but initially it wasn't even clear if the spell chose to manifest on one of the random floating pages that are everywhere in the wild edge apparently. But now it's scared of being eaten, like the paper is its body. It just seems like, to me, a strange choice, since this spell will presumably stop existing when it completed its task.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Plot twist: the paper is actually Dominic Deegan.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

Sure, but initially it wasn't even clear if the spell chose to manifest on one of the random floating pages that are everywhere in the wild edge apparently. But now it's scared of being eaten, like the paper is its body. It just seems like, to me, a strange choice, since this spell will presumably stop existing when it completed its task.

Yeah as with all Dominic Deegan, I don’t think it has been or will be fully fleshed out. I think the implication was that somehow the paper had made its way to Snout’s doorstep? The most likely answer is Mookie hit a wall in the story and delivered it himself.

Mikl posted:

Plot twist: the paper is actually Dominic Deegan.

God please, let it be this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Yeah as with all Dominic Deegan, I don’t think it has been or will be fully fleshed out. I think the implication was that somehow the paper had made its way to Snout’s doorstep? The most likely answer is Mookie hit a wall in the story and delivered it himself.

The sad part is it's a self-inflicted wall. Easy solution: don't have the Ink Witch be kidnapped so immediately after he meets her. She tells him about her (apparent) mutual quest for the pages and they should be searching together for a time before being separated. Done!

But nope, she's whisked away before she can even be fully conscious, so it's up to a literal magic piece of paper to fall into his lap. If she (assuming the Ink Witch made the pagefinder) is so good she can make a spell like that, and is apparently able to do it despite her (again, apparent) captivity, why does she need Snout at all?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

How can he draw sex without Snout there?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mookie Twitter update!

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1179811858963939329

It didn't work.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1180156658678468608

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1180292716686692353

Mookie's horny again.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1180655139314716672

:shrug:

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1180971613187182592

This one's actually... Not terrible? Characters like this seem to work well in his art style. If only he'd ditch the faux-anime thing.

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1181231135294144515

Same thing here. I mean, it does nothing for me, and it's not good, but... That's way better than a lot of his other stuff.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 7, 2019

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

TheHan posted:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The sad part is it's a self-inflicted wall. Easy solution: don't have the Ink Witch be kidnapped so immediately after he meets her. She tells him about her (apparent) mutual quest for the pages and they should be searching together for a time before being separated. Done!

But nope, she's whisked away before she can even be fully conscious, so it's up to a literal magic piece of paper to fall into his lap.

Yeah, this continues to be my theory: Like the GM of an RPG session that's gone off the rails, Mookie realized he'd cut his protagonist off from the plot, and so he introduced a plot device/NPC to lead them back to it and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Dominic and Luna look worse than usual there. What's up with their jaws?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Tesseraction posted:

At this point I'm just assuming the monster realised it was in a Deegan comic and just gave up on life.

The typical escape for most Dominic Deegan antagonists. Well unless it's a woman.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man it's astounding how much better the art is when he's drawing literally a bag for a head instead of his usual cargo-cult anime snouts.

And speaking of snouts, on these patreon preview profiles, I guess it's "good" that he's trying something different but it just emphasizes how much his art doesn't work. Those things aren't noses. I don't know what they are, but I know they can't be noses.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

God yeah, those look loving terrible, like worse than usual. Snout is a character named Snout with a literal snout that looks like less of a snout than those, uh, snouts.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Literally like Tauriel from Undertale. That's what their faces look like

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Little Death posted:

Literally like Tauriel from Undertale. That's what their faces look like

nah, people wanted to gently caress toriel

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mors Rattus posted:

nah, people wanted to gently caress toriel

As hard as it may be to accept we all know there were and are people horned up for Luna and Dominic.

At the very least Mookie is.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Where the gently caress are your lips, Dominic.

Ague Proof posted:

Dominic and Luna look worse than usual there. What's up with their jaws?

He moved the mouths forward-I guess to de-emphasize the snouts-but didn't actually change the structure of the heads at all. Now we're stuck with these Tapir looking motherfuckers.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Snout looks like he has a mustache in the first panel.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

Snout looks like he has a mustache in the first panel.

:eyepop:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So the ink golem is what the paper spell is going end up becoming when it gets the rest of the pages right?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So the ink golem is what the paper spell is going end up becoming when it gets the rest of the pages right?

No idea, it could just be an idea Mookie is kicking around. He loves drawing the Ink Witch and all the powers she may have, because A) Mookie horny, and B) "ink magic" is really, really easy to draw.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
She must be some kind of... ink witch?

NARRATOR: Her name is the ink witch

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SNOUT: My name is Snout. I am deaf & mute so I cannot communicate this.

PAGEFINDER: Hello Snout.

Mookie twitter watch:

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1181584572724776960

:geno:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Honestly, I'm wiling to cut some slack to people doing Inktober, especially if they don't normally use ink or if they're strict about daily illustrations. It's something that can be exhausting and stressful to any artist. And it's a good time to experiment with different techniques and focuses, like that landscape.

...Inktober aside, Mookie has still let his style stagnate, to the point where I have to wonder if he's spent the past six years deliberately trying to keep his "brand". The cropped thumbnails of Dominic and Luna are more snoutlike than Snout, and the only changes seem to be a new default nose shape and the loss of flounder mouth. Granted, without having full context from where they're posted (hahaha no), I don't know if that's current art or something a bit older. I'd use Ink Witch as a better comparison, but all her profiles in the comic have either been partially obscured by hair or were extreme (but surprisingly defined) close-ups. I guess we'll see once she or another human begins appearing regularly.

I'd probably forgive all that if it didn't seem like the writing was also stuck in a rut! The pacing has been pretty atrocious, and a few of the latest comics could have been condensed down; there wasn't a need for a second "Snout climbs while obliviously injuring the monster" page, and the unclear perspective gave the appearance that he had seen it and thus made the following page more confusing. Whole pages are also used solely for writing down Snout's thoughts and motivations, most of which are just recapping scenes that just happened or could be easily inferred from his actions in subsequent scenes. And, somehow, it all goes back to Dominic. Dominic Dominic Dominic. A 200-year timeskip is the perfect time to explore a changed world with a new cast. Him being simply acknowledged for saving the world would have been fine, but instead the mere mention of his name has consumed Snout's motivations. And apparently Ink Witch's, too. It feels like a waste of a timeskip to lean on him so heavily.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Mookie's inks are generally pretty solid, considering that he used just a brush pen for that landscape there's still some line variance and some depth to it. While he's almost deliberately avoided honing his skills in anatomy and character design, he's confident and clean with pens.

Also here's Wednesday:

I don't know how you take into consideration that the paper would be illegible from all the blood and spikes, but fail to find it completely insane that he's 3/3 for finding the pages in sequence.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And now he has almost a sentence of a page from a book that tells him nothing. Effort well expended.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Why is the text so big? Is "It's been two hundred years since Dominic Deegan began his last journey in the realm of" actually a single page? Is this a book or a loose essay or what?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's a children's book.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I think it’s supposed to be illegible, but it clearly says “Asinotaph, where dreams are touched by the heart of magic and become [real]”.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

TheHan posted:

but fail to find it completely insane that he's 3/3 for finding the pages in sequence.

I thought the page finder was simply pointing him to the next page in the sequence :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Who What Now posted:

It's a children's book.
They used that in the latest FFXIV expansion as a clever framing device for some Here's Basic poo poo About This Planet Every Child Knows. Good art too.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it's going to turn out that this whole comic is a dream Dominic's having that's become real and Snout was Dominic all along

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Deegan tried to get his magic back?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Deegan tried to get his magic back?

Oh God that's going to be entirely why he did it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Usually when stories end with superhuman characters losing their magic/powers, they make peace with being normal people and grow as characters.

Dominic went to the Zone.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 9, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Calling it now, he also fixed Luna's sterility and Snout is their descendant.

Just watch, he'll loving do it.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I think the Ink Witch will be their "legacy" and Dominic will be immortal.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

GrossMurpel posted:

I thought the page finder was simply pointing him to the next page in the sequence :shrug:

I don't know why, but I'm willing to give him the paper magically finding snout and magically knowing Snout's motivations, but magically being able to discern where the next pages are in sequential order? A bridge too far.

Edit: Like if the book these pages were from was magic and the pagefinder was the index? I could accept that. Something about it being one spell that does a plethora of things is frustrating.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nessus posted:

They used that in the latest FFXIV expansion as a clever framing device for some Here's Basic poo poo About This Planet Every Child Knows. Good art too.

Don't compare FFXIV to this dreck. Compare it to Trixie Slaughteraxe, specifically that last storyline.