Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Think people will start puttin in lavinia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

resistentialism posted:

Think people will start puttin in lavinia?

That's already the restriction on fires

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The other half works, though.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

A Moose posted:

I think if you're waiting for the meta to settle, it's already settled. Not much is going to change except for golos decks teching more and more for the mirror match, or decks looking to win specifically against Fires. If a new deck pops up, it'll probably just be 1 and it might just be good for 1 tournament, unless someone finds something that destroys Golos.

I've played literally nothing but golos/fields the last 10ish matches in ranked. Think I'm done with ranked for the next 11 weeks, which is a real shame.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've whined about decks and metas i dont like but field's the first thing that seems like nerf material purely on the basis of too strong no answers. we'll see i guess.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I am getting so sick of getting stomped in the Play queue while playing the NPE decks but I really want to hold out and not craft anything so I can use the draft strategy to get a full set of rares. I need 12 more wins this week, let's see how my willpower holds out.

It's dropped my aggregate winrate across all games from 53% down to 50% because I'm having runs where I will literally lose 10 in a row after getting matched with non-NPE decks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

resistentialism posted:

The other half works, though.

Hmm intriguiging. But hard to keep alive since Jeskai runs Giant and Clarion, I think there are better options for enchantment removal as opposed to a 2/2 body

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The rewards for ranked constructed are very, very small if you hate it.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Heyoh! F2P mythic. Mono green stompy is pretty good BO1 right now. Good against golos, fires, mono red, mono black, gruul, sonic flash and adventures. Bad against mid range. Deck list is up thread.

When I say good, I mostly mean "at least favored" deck doesn't have any amazing matchups, but does turn in a pretty good performance against the field.

edit: follow up question, what does the number next to mythic mean. I'm #127, how is this determined?

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 7, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

post list because I'm three rare wildcards away from golos fields and I'm not even hype after playing it in the event

With such greedy greedy engine decks dominating I'm thinking just crafting Unmoored Ego is much cheaper than the eighteen rares Golos Fields needs.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

So, after playing a ton of games with this deck, here's my mostly final list for mono G stompy.

4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
3 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
3 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger (M20) 199
3 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
23 Forest (XLN) 276

what's messed up is I actually own everything for golos fields except the realm cloaked giant, but find it miserable to play

edit: it's tuned very specifically for BO1, BO3 is anyone's guess

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

No Wave posted:

I've whined about decks and metas i dont like but field's the first thing that seems like nerf material purely on the basis of too strong no answers. we'll see i guess.

I agree. There’s no real aggro deck I’ve seen yet that gets underneath it, which is the best way to beat that deck. You can’t really reliably beat it trying to outvalue it

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Heyoh! F2P mythic. Mono green stompy is pretty good BO1 right now. Good against golos, fires, mono red, mono black, gruul, sonic flash and adventures. Bad against mid range. Deck list is up thread.

When I say good, I mostly mean "at least favored" deck doesn't have any amazing matchups, but does turn in a pretty good performance against the field.

edit: follow up question, what does the number next to mythic mean. I'm #127, how is this determined?

People used to say this in the hearthstone thread all the time, I guess it's universal. There is no chance your off meta deck is actually favored against 7 decks that constitute 95% of the meta and you don't even name a deck it's unfavorable against. It isn't a credible claim. Congrats on mythic though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A Moose posted:

I think if you're waiting for the meta to settle, it's already settled.

dumbasses said this two weeks into M20 and then Kethis happened much later.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Some rear end in a top hat was playing Golos Field in unranked but it was a janky version of the deck and I managed to grind it out with Abzan Aristocrats which has an excellent board for land destruction.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lone Goat posted:

dumbasses said this two weeks into M20 and then Kethis happened much later.

That’s true, but that was also a much larger card pool to work with and build things. There’s half as many things to work through for this and the format still doesn’t have an aggro or control deck that can really be played. Maybe some wild combo deck appears out of nowhere but it I’m still waiting for those two basic archetypes to fill out. I think that’s when standard is healthiest, at least imo

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Welp it took about two seconds for someone to figure out how to put Murderous Rider in the graveyard. Turns out you copy Swift End with Lucky Clover and fizzle the original. Easy peasy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Time posted:

That’s true, but that was also a much larger card pool to work with and build things. There’s half as many things to work through for this and the format still doesn’t have an aggro or control deck that can really be played. Maybe some wild combo deck appears out of nowhere but it I’m still waiting for those two basic archetypes to fill out. I think that’s when standard is healthiest, at least imo

What would you classify the various golos decks as? Mid?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well it's unconventional to do it by accumulating creatures over multiple turns but usually you describe a linear deck looking to go over the top and do something obscenely powerful as combo.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

zoux posted:

What would you classify the various golos decks as? Mid?

I dunno, extremely greedy ramp decks are kind of their own thing. They usually have the natural predator of decks that turn 1 drops sideways but each color has like 1 viable 1 drop now

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Time posted:

I dunno, extremely greedy ramp decks are kind of their own thing. They usually have the natural predator of decks that turn 1 drops sideways but each color has like 1 viable 1 drop now

by jove that's it. time for 5 color aggro to shine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Leaving ranked constructed is no refuge against field of the dead. Even away from rare mythic Golos Wish decks there are so many enablers in the elemental tribe and in the gates package. Either everyone starts main-decking 4-8 land hate or just go field themselves and tech for the mirror match. Did they forget that Alpine Moon and Blood Sun were rotating? Ban.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Oh lmao just noticed Historic doesn't count for weekly rewards. Or daily rewards, unless I'm mistaken?

I always found Hearthstone's "are you sure you wanna craft this card? it's for a lovely format we dont care about" Wild crafting disclaimer hilarious, but man straight up preventing progress because you're using old cards leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

It's also pretty uncharacteristic of them because so far they've always been, heh, reasonably generous.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
After extensive testing against the best competition in the world (twitch superstar and QCS champion Daltos), I can safely say Wolves are powerful

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
The first two games of this draft BO3 have taken like 45 minutes because my opponent keeps taking the full timer and I am no longer interested in the outcome of this match and just want to stop

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Why is the deck called 'Golos' and not 'Field'?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ChrisBTY posted:

Nm, what’s golos w/you?

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

Time posted:

After extensive testing against the best competition in the world (twitch superstar and QCS champion Daltos), I can safely say Wolves are powerful

They did just beat the champions Man City

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The first two games of this draft BO3 have taken like 45 minutes because my opponent keeps taking the full timer and I am no longer interested in the outcome of this match and just want to stop

Then stop

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I don't know the actual numbers but Gruul aggro can finish off Field often enough it doesn't make me want to throw my mouse out the window.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BioThermo posted:

Don't queue with tcjimbo

lmao

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ChrisBTY posted:

Its called "Golos Field" so im not sure what you're asking.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Sounds like you'll get a free win after your opponent times out

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Golos/Fields/Gates was the best deck in that future standard thing too and that was before people even realized you could play teferi and other good cards in it instead of guild summit and gates ablaze

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
lol imagine being WotC and making Outlaws Merriment a mythic rare with 4cmc when Field of the Dead is free and just a rare and also superior

Also imagine printing Ravager Wurm and putting any restriction on the land destruction clause on a 6cmc spell.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Rofl. I didn't even realize it had a land destruction ability, I thought the second part of the card was just describing riot in detail for some reason.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Hoogland has played a RB knights list that seems incredibly aggressive and might be just the thing to get under Golos Field but I haven't seen many people talking about it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm finally done with some limited stuff and the event, and the first game I play is accidentally Historic :negative:

I had just spent 10 minutes updating my deck but I gave it the same name as my old deck so I guess that one's on me

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

AnEdgelord posted:

Its called "Golos Field" so im not sure what you're asking.

I keep hearing people just calling it 'Golos'. I guess that's just an abbreviation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
So I'm fairly new to magic and Arena. I'd like to build a deck on Arena, since I finished all the intro quests and I'm tired of getting my rear end kicked with the decks they give you.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have much to work with:

-31 common
-31 uncommon
-15 rare
-6 mythic rare

Anybody have any suggestions of what I can do with that?