Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tesla's run by a dipshit so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Det_no posted:

:siren: Holy loving poo poo breaking news :siren:

IGN has managed to unplug themselves from the Matrix and emerged back onto the light, dizzy and confused, to discover something everyone knew and has known for years but had mysteriously gotten very little reportage.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07/report-steams-30-cut-is-actually-the-industry-standard

I mean, yeah, everyone knew that, they just pretended that they didn't.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Det_no posted:

:siren: Holy loving poo poo breaking news :siren:

IGN has managed to unplug themselves from the Matrix and emerged back onto the light, dizzy and confused, to discover something everyone knew and has known for years but had mysteriously gotten very little reportage.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/10/07/report-steams-30-cut-is-actually-the-industry-standard

Huh, I didn't know that.

... 30%, really? Seems a bit high.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fanatical is also 30% afaik

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no but don't use the epic store, they're evil market disrupters

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Ambaire posted:

Huh, I didn't know that.

... 30%, really? Seems a bit high.

Consider that the 30% covers everything, there's no extra cost for using online features or anything for each game. The only other thing you ever need to pay for is development hardware (that shouldn't need explaining, of course that costs), heck, you don't even pay for submitting patch updates anymore on any console.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 8, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Hell yes I'm into some meaty heavy RPG, give it too me Pillars of Eternity 2"

...a few minutes later...

"this might be too heavy for me, back to my phone games"

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't understand why I would ever play as the sword chick. She seems to be straight up worse in every way. I could deal with the limited range tradeoff if not for the fact that her bombs are complete garbage compared to the gun option.

The sword hits enemies through walls, which is incredibly useful. I think it also does more damage in general, it one-hits enemies that the gun needs multiple shots to kill. I agree about the bombs, though they get better if you pick up the detonator.

Game is super fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

Is there an actual story behind this written anywhere? I'd love to read about how DS3 went wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiQiF9Wt2lM

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I don't know if you're me or not, but I sat down on Sunday fully expecting to enjoy some PoE 2 and then 2 hours later I was done with character creation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Synthbuttrange posted:

My gaming the last few weeks has been a lot of "I don't want to play this nearly as much as I thought I did when I sat down." PC full of AAA games, I'm dinking around on Gems of War.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know if you're me or not, but I sat down on Sunday fully expecting to enjoy some PoE 2 and then 2 hours later I was done with character creation.

The upside is you can get the absolute best game ending within minutes of the game starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlBQWR1KLEM

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This neat looking game Indivisible popped up in my queue, where Skullgirl devs have made a Valkyrie Profile-like, best as I can tell. Which is totally up my alley! Anyone know anything more about it? I don't normally get games before release but there's about 8 hours left for the pre-release 10% discount...

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Would love to hear people’s thoughts on Space Robinson!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Artelier posted:

This neat looking game Indivisible popped up in my queue, where Skullgirl devs have made a Valkyrie Profile-like, best as I can tell. Which is totally up my alley! Anyone know anything more about it? I don't normally get games before release but there's about 8 hours left for the pre-release 10% discount...

let me double this. I played the Indivisible demo (and it plays like if Valkyrie Profile had an ATB system and was also a dungeon platformer...maybe a metroidvania) but I got walled hard at the boss. However it didn't even have leveling/skill trees (which the full game apparently will). Reviews are saying that difficulty was if anything too easy in the final release but that's FIIIIIINE with me. I'm going to buy the game and if I get walled like that again I am going to very much regret it.

But if anybody else can give me more detail than this I would LOVE to hear it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

buglord posted:

How is Atom RPG? I was looking for a post-apoc classic RPG fix, and I was first pointed to Underrail. While the setting and characters were cool, the game is bogged down by tons of anti-player mechanics. The dev and playerbase are very "git gud" which gives you an idea of how well it goes over.

It's ok, but very old-school in the way Fallout 1/2 or Wasteland 2 are, also very Russian in the references only 80's :ussr: kids will get.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I don't really have any sources/numbers to back it up but I have to say 30% just feels very high. That it's what is used in physical stores seems like a bad argument, since brick and mortar stores have way more overhead costs. Also, when comparing to Playstation/XBox/Switch, aren't consoles big loss leaders both in development costs and then again in production that have to be earned back through sales of games? Whereas PC gamers buy their hardware through other channels with no cost to the store where they get their games. I'd also say comparing to something like Humble doesn't work as well, since I would estimate 90% of games sold on Humble are just a key and the infrastructure used to download/play the game is then Steam, keeping Humble's costs lower than Steam's. The one good argument for 30%, or at least more than the 12% Epic charges, is that some countries have much bigger transaction fees causing Epic to not offer their merchandise there to begin with. But I would say that is a reason to increase the cut for those countries (taken by the store from the developer/publisher, without raising the price of the game) rather than worldwide.

It also seems that Valve has been getting massively rich off Steam without making a lot of games for the past 5 years, so that supports the view that 30% is high. It just doesn't seem like Steam is currently really competing on the cut they take, and the size of the cut represents that.

I'd love to see some numbers to support or refute this, but I don't think there are any to be found?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
This is pure speculation but I think Indivisible will be one of those games that get big discounts real fast. The devs have a regional pricing team that decided it was wise to charge hilariously optimistic prices (it was originally 60 bucks in my region) before everyone told them they were delusional. They've lowered the prices since but they are still about twice as high as you'd expect in pretty much all regions including Russia, Latin America, India, Norway, etc...

At some point, the math doesn't quite work. It's also a relatively expensive Kickstarter game that was heavily delayed so I'm not sure the NA launch will be massive either. I could be completely wrong though, the game DID have a whole lot of hype behind it at some point so might be the next indie darling.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Amanita Design just released a little game, Pilgrims.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxHrjrpE4dg
https://amanita-design.net/games/pilgrims.html

While I'm here, anyone got any suggestions for why I'm so bad at Concrete Jungle, or alternatively ways to be less bad?
I feel like I'm missing a bunch of things that are probably supposed to be incredibly obvious.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

epic's 12% is unsustainable and they are coasting entirely off of Fortnite profits

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The 7th Guest posted:

epic's 12% is unsustainable and they are coasting entirely off of Fortnite profits
Reportedly, their Fortnite revenue has dropped almost 50% over the course of this year already, so that's not going to be something they can rely on in the long term anymore. We'll see how their cut of the store prices develops in the next few years, but I can see it going up quite a few points fairly soon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they still have UE licensing money to fall back on, what I think is more likely is just that they scale back their exclusivity buys and also downsize the department that works on the store

which has to be pretty barebones already

then just strip down most of their roadmap to the bone

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
Holy poo poo you guys, Steam finally added a link handler on their mobile app so you can open links to games in the app. It only took them... however many loving years, but it's finally here! :catdrugs: :wom:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If the numbers that people have been giving here a while ago are correct, then the UE licensing money is only in the ballpark of... 350 million a year, I think. The vast majority of Epic's recent income has been made up of Fortnite money, in the range of billions a year as I recall. 350 mil is still definitely a solid chunk of money, but I don't know if it's enough to support the kind of store that Epic is aiming for. They also have further development costs to the Unreal Engine itself to consider, after all. Just my own speculation, though. I can see it go either way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

they're playing a long game but based on a premise that Fortnite will remain evergreen like Minecraft

when Minecraft will always have appeal as a creative game and a solo adventure WITH multiplayer components, while Fortnite is primarily a multiplayer experience in a live-service map. which is why they're constantly doing publicity stunts like batman week. they have to keep people engaged with the "what will happen next?" aspect because otherwise it's just pubg on one single map

that said, team fortress 2 is still like constantly 7th-8th on steam charts in concurrent player peak. so Fortnite could drop out of the cultural zeitgeist and still manage 100-200k players for a long time

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 8, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

Tesla's literally have microtransactions.

Well, micro relative to the cost of a car.

Is there an add-on that keeps it from blowing up?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

that said, team fortress 2 is still like constantly 7th-8th on steam charts in concurrent player peak. so Fortnite could drop out of the cultural zeitgeist and still manage 100-200k players for a long time
Yeah, that sounds realistic. I'm not seeing it go the way of Friday the 13th anytime soon.

The question now would be, of course, how much the Epic Store is currently costing them, but I don't think I've ever seen any clear statements about that anywhere.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

IGN posted:

We reached out to nearly half a dozen sources within the games industry (as well as the game retailers directly) in order to get the actual numbers on what cuts most major retailers take.

This is one of those phrases that at first sounds impressive at first glance until you realise it just means "at most 5".

(I mean, I don't think you really need to speak to that many people to confirm these numbers, it's just funny the way they phrase it)

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

how many of y'all are zoomers, because skips existed in video games in the 80s and 90s too. they were called CHEAT CODES and you didn't need to pay money for them

charging for cheat codes is dumb as poo poo

How young are you that you don't remember Gameshark or how cheat codes were one of the main reasons why kids bought videogame magazines?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rage McDougal posted:

This is one of those phrases that at first sounds impressive at first glance until you realise it just means "at most 5".

(I mean, I don't think you really need to speak to that many people to confirm these numbers, it's just funny the way they phrase it)
The sad thing is, with games journalism being what it is? Actually contacting that many different sources is impressively thorough.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Griefor posted:

It also seems that Valve has been getting massively rich off Steam without making a lot of games for the past 5 years, so that supports the view that 30% is high.
I mean, they released more games than Blizzard.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

fwiw I'm enjoying Breakpoint a whole lot. gently caress microtransactions, totally agree, defending them makes you a bootlicker, but game fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ZearothK posted:

How young are you that you don't remember Gameshark or how cheat codes were one of the main reasons why kids bought videogame magazines?
please, i had the game genie for NES and would just input random poo poo into it just to see what would happen

i once caused mario to just forever jump and never lose altitude

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

This talk about Valve games reminded me about the existence of Artifact. It's had an average of 85 concurrent players in the last 30 days lol. I wonder if they unplug the cord at some point or just let it exist until some statute of limitations on refunding in-game purchases passes. I guess having a profit-driven company culture doesn't work endlessly and yet all they can do after this is follow another microtransaction-driven trend.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Soooooo I bought Indivisible (on PS4 mind, but this is where I first talked about it). Haven't had the chance to play yet, but if it's disappointing and 50% off come Thanksgiving I'm going to be quite upset at myself.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

The 7th Guest posted:

they're playing a long game but based on a premise that Fortnite will remain evergreen like Minecraft

when Minecraft will always have appeal as a creative game and a solo adventure WITH multiplayer components, while Fortnite is primarily a multiplayer experience in a live-service map. which is why they're constantly doing publicity stunts like batman week. they have to keep people engaged with the "what will happen next?" aspect because otherwise it's just pubg on one single map

Tim is going to start getting nervous once Minecraft Earth gets released. Kids are already trying to get into the beta or alpha and no regional restriction is going to stop them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if Minecraft Earth is going to do something silly like making spiders and endermen spawn in your bedroom when it's dark out. So many kids would have nightmares, lol.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The 7th Guest posted:

I dunno, they could be thinking, "Fortnite's good and all, but it's just one game, it won't last forever, and we can't guarantee ever repeating its success. Let's plough our Fortnite money into getting a Steam competitor off the ground, then we can profit from other people's games longterm".

It's a similar journey to what Valve did, from games producer to kinda games facilitator, except with more exclusivity deals and somehow learning nothing from the faults of the Steam interface.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm honestly a bit baffled why Breakpoint's MTX are blowing up when as far as I can tell they're the exact same type of poo poo Ubisoft has had in all of their games for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm honestly a bit baffled why Breakpoint's MTX are blowing up when as far as I can tell they're the exact same type of poo poo Ubisoft has had in all of their games for a while now.

Pretty much, yeah. Maybe it's just reached a................

..... breakpoint.

Anyway, I object no more to them than I did to the ones in Odyssey, and I loved that game too.