Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

darealkooky posted:

this wouldn't be a problem if mobas weren't an inherently shallow game

Lol

Edit: yeah if you ignore how you build the hero and what position you're playing them in and the hundreds of items and the order you're getting them in and all the actual moment to moment decisions you're making just focusnon how every hero only has 4 to 5 spells and different stat growths and base stats it's all pretty simple.

Seriously you're the first person to call MOBAs shallow. The biggest complaint from new players is theres way too much ahit to learn and understand

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Also, Mobas are lovely.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Also, Mobas are lovely.

I mean I dunno how that's different from fight games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Let David Sirlin make a moba

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
MOBAs are WarCraft 3 except with a tiny fraction of the execution requirements and four other people to blame your failures on, which explains their enduring popularity.

They have a really high knowledge-based barrier to entry but the two measures aren't really fungible.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I mean I dunno how that's different from fight games

mobas, statistically speaking, have about 10 times more people calling me racial slurs after a match than fighting games

though fighting game matches are over in about 1/10th of the time (1/2 of the time if it's DBFZ) so it evens out

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You can tell how big brain a game is by how little money you get for winning at it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Reiley posted:

You can tell how big brain a game is by how little money you get for winning at it.

welcome to slap city

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mobas are complicated because they rely on teamwork. organizing five people playing relatively simple characters is harder than one person trying to play one hard character, imo.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

yeah if you ignore how you build the hero and what position you're playing them in and the hundreds of items and the order you're getting them in and all the actual moment to moment decisions you're making just focusnon how every hero only has 4 to 5 spells and different stat growths and base stats it's all pretty simple.
going through your points in order...

1: you look up whatever is the optimal build order for the "type" of hero you're using (carry, jungler, ect ect) and do it, making slight adjustments for what stat your hero favors. 2/3: are determined by what hero you play because very very few heroes in modern mobas are able to do more than one role well and the players are so toxic you'll get shouted down for experimenting anyway 4: is largely determined by what kind of hero you're using and generally involves following your flowchart for 30 something minutes and if you or anyone on your team makes a mistake before then (someone gets killed because they pushed too close to a tower, for example) then the inertia is such that you've often lost the game right there unless the other side makes an equal or greater mistake. also mobas have generally bled out a lot of the more subtle mechanics from dota/wc3 over the years like denying or miss chance for shooting up a hill leaving them not a lot more to fall back on besides "don't get caught with your pants down"

pro moba matches are just everyone doing their task for a while and then when everyone is properly equipped and farmed there's a game of cat and mouse and then whoever messes up first causes a snowball effect and its over

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

mobas are complicated because they rely on teamwork. organizing five people playing relatively simple characters is harder than one person trying to play one hard character, imo.

This is true but dareal's point was that they're shallow which is just...wrong on the face of it.

darealkooky posted:

1: you look up whatever is the optimal build order for the "type" of hero you're using (carry, jungler, ect ect) and do it, making slight adjustments for what stat your hero favors.

Wrong on your first point. The winners of Dota 2's International frequently played characters slotted as hard supports as their Position 1 Main carries and usual carries as supports. This is like saying "Fighting games are all shallow because all you do is Auto combo". Nah the existance of multiple roles/lanes/playstles for each hero means you can often do a lot of things with aach one. (Unless you're playing LoL where Riot keeps a loving iron rod up the rear end of the meta and specifically punishes players from any deviation too great, but saying that's the usual situation is a kin to saying every Fighting game is bad because SFV's support was a nightmare) The rest of your points are also as stupid but the last bit is extra weird because the entire push and pull of the meta is constantly shaking up that style of play. Hell the few games the TI winners lost was because the enemy just decided to hard push and never let up and gently caress up their timing on XP or Items just enough to hold off whoever from getting a foot in the door.

You're talking about LoL which isn't the norm for MOBA's and you're trying to spin off all your complaints about that to the genre at large.

So as I originally said, lol.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 8, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

darealkooky posted:

1: you look up whatever is the optimal build order for the "type" of hero you're using (carry, jungler, ect ect) and do it, making slight adjustments for what stat your hero favors. 2/3: are determined by what hero you play because very very few heroes in modern mobas are able to do more than one role well and the players are so toxic you'll get shouted down for experimenting anyway 4: is largely determined by what kind of hero you're using and generally involves following your flowchart for 30 something minutes and if you or anyone on your team makes a mistake before then (someone gets killed because they pushed too close to a tower, for example) then the inertia is such that you've often lost the game right there unless the other side makes an equal or greater mistake. also mobas have generally bled out a lot of the more subtle mechanics from dota/wc3 over the years like denying or miss chance for shooting up a hill leaving them not a lot more to fall back on besides "don't get caught with your pants down"

pro moba matches are just everyone doing their task for a while and then when everyone is properly equipped and farmed there's a game of cat and mouse and then whoever messes up first causes a snowball effect and its over
none of this applies to dota 2

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the only moba I played at a decent level was Awesomenauts and that flowchart isnt really how it worked at all

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

darealkooky posted:

I'll grant you that this is an accurate description of Heroes of the Storm, specifically, but probably not other ones.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

the only moba I played at a decent level was Awesomenauts and that flowchart isnt really how it worked at all

It's because Kooky is thinking of one game specifically and using that to stand in for the whole genre.

But even if it were the whole the game having highly structured roles for characters doesn't mean the game as a whole is shallow, because while oyu might just be doign the one thing you've got 9 otehr people and all the creeps and towers and items and everything else going on all at once. SO even in their weird assumptions of the genre they're wrong.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

dobas are garbage poo poo because one game takes like 5 hours and thats like the same amount of time i can play two dragonball fighterz matches

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Let David Sirlin make a moba

Yeah it's about time he moved onto ripping off GG2

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
mobas are like trump, by no reasoning they should rule over anything and they they do and people still like them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do they still. I thought eSports was all CSGO and Overwatch these days.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

And SFV of course. Tokyo 2020 hype.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
[watching dota match] when will they show the True Gameplay

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

In Training posted:

Dota's big tournament TI consistently is the biggest money event in esports. It's the

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Teppen

run it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dota's big tournament TI consistently is the biggest money event in esports. It's the

This is mostly because they crowdfund the money and people love that poo poo.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

In Training posted:

Do people actually watch OWL?

CharlestonJew posted:

mobas, statistically speaking, have about 10 times more people calling me racial slurs after a match than fighting games

3S on fightcade singlehandedly pulls it back to an even chance.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Do people actually watch OWL?

I think blizzard sets up bribes with skins.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think probably like 40 people worldwide actually watch OWL

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apparently 1.12 million people watched the finals. and they're getting tv deals and crap. People freaking love Overwatch

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hm. Different genres have different gameplay conventions. Interesting.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

In Training posted:

Apparently 1.12 million people watched the finals and they're getting tv deals and crap. People freaking love Overwatch

How many of those were from open launchers counting as viewers because of the embedded stream on it though. LoL has gotten called on doing this hokey tactic before too, where the amount of people actually going and watching it was a giant deal lower than what they claimed, because just having the client open was counting a whoooole lot of additional 'viewers' cause of the bit I said before.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

How many of those were from the launcher counting as viewers because of the embedded stream on it though. LoL has gotten called on doing this hokey tactic before too, where the amount of people actually going and watching it was a massive deal lower than what they claimed, because just having the client open was counting a whoooole lot of additional 'viewers' because of the bit I said before.

Probably a gently caress load. but thats how esports works if they want that ad money.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
MOBAds

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
They broadcast Overwatch League on ABC now.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Quitting MOBAs was the best decision I made in my life

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MechaX posted:

They need to bring back Testament before anything else.

But it's technically a sequel, but to be honest, the only real story thread left at this point is "Sol wants to punch That Man in the face"

The story mode needs to end with Sol finally about to do it but then Ramlethal is like DON'T DO IT SOL!! THAT MAN IS OUR... followed by a teaser for ASW vs. SNK

Also like, for real, where the gently caress is Testament. :(

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
JP Samsho is going to get some crossover costumes with Puzzle and Dragons, they look kind of neat.

https://prtimes.jp/main/html/rd/p/000000323.000028651.html

And Dengeki Online is going to stream Basara gameplay Oct. 11 1 AM PDT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd1jManwPUs

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shiki looks doofy but I do want that Genjuro, also Basara should be cool to see in action.

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006
Hey I just got Steam on my Macbook. I used to play in fighting game tournaments ages ages ago, but don't know how to get back into it. Are there sticks I can use?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

If it has a USB port then probably, the majority of sticks also work on a computer.

Unless you're asking are there personal sticks period, which case yes there's a whole slew of them, qanba, hori, razer, madcatz, etokki are all well liked brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

inthesto posted:

Quitting MOBAs was the best decision I made in my life

It's meth for nerds. Extremely addictive and makes you hate everything that's between you and your next high