Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Cloks posted:

Check Amazon.

Thanks. Found a copy for like $15. I just didn’t want another situation like Slumber Party Massacre 2 & 3. They’re absolutely not worth $50, let alone $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Scream Factory stuff is pretty much the worst to try and get when titles go out of print. Thanks for the tip, I grabbed Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits and New Year's Evil.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jurassic Park (Movies Anywhere) code up for grabs: 7AK7RALWM7PH

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

Thanks for the heads up. There’s no way I’m gonna miss Vampires Kiss.

Edit: Nevermind, it’s already gone. It’s probably already $100 on eBay by now.

They're still easy to get right now. Amazon and Best Buy have them in stock and there are lots of copies on ebay for normal retail prices.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Egbert Souse posted:

Meanwhile, Twilight Time apparently doesn't have any new releases for the rest of the year (normally they have at least 3-4 titles) and Olive Films has only released three films this year. Not to be alarmist, but if there's any films you've wanted on physical media, might not be a bad idea to grab it now. I think we're going to still have plenty of physical media, but I don't think I'll be surprised if the industry switches to a "one print run and done" model.

I think there's going to be a culling of the boutique labels soon. Like, I look at Twilight Time, and most of their recent releases look like the kind of thing you used to find on Netflix - an old forgotten film that was in somebody's content library that they probably got as a package deal that included a few hit movies. Like, the President's Lady - I've never heard anyone ever mention this film, and it's not like they're doing a lot to sell me on it.

I feel like part of it is that Criterion, Shout, and Kino have really upped their game significantly. Each month, there's at least one Criterion release I want to get, and they do stuff like that big Godzilla boxset. It also helps that with studios pulling away from physical media, that they are able to get those bigger and more notable releases.

Here's my prediction - physical media will take the form of laserdisc. It's not something for people who just want to watch something with their friends or significant other. It's going to be for people who want to pay the premium for a better experience. And the market is going to change - there is a market, but it's not a huge one.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Vampires Kiss is included in Amazon's buy 2 get 1 deal. Ingot that plus Apocolypse Now 4K and shouts They Live for $43 total.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I unironically love High Spirits but lol at anybody paying $100 for it even if they get Vampire's Kiss with it.

e: Well they also had Halloween 2018 and the Goonies/Gremlins/Gremlins 2 blu ray set and I'd been meaning to get all those sooo...

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 8, 2019

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just bought that Vampire's Kiss/High Spirits double feature on Amazon the other day. Thank God. I need to share it with everyone.

The Incredible Melting Man is a pretty good blu-ray, too. If you really want to own a special edition of a movie featured on MST3K.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Millenium Actress blu-ray by ShoutFactory is pushed back to December 10.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I unironically love High Spirits but lol at anybody paying $100 for it even if they get Vampire's Kiss with it.

e: Well they also had Halloween 2018 and the Goonies/Gremlins/Gremlins 2 blu ray set and I'd been meaning to get all those sooo...

I don't understand why people pay those prices for any blu-ray. It has to be people who have more money than sense that fetishize having expensive crap for the purpose of owning "rare" items.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I don't understand why people pay those prices for any blu-ray. It has to be people who have more money than sense that fetishize having expensive crap for the purpose of owning "rare" items.

I just paid $30 for a blu ray, which definitely hurt and I try not to do it very often but it was a special Halloween season purchase. Anyway, if I had 3X the money I'd probably be ok with occasionally spending $100 on a movie if I felt like I really "needed" it in my collection.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I spent $50-100 each on some of the then-OOP Rhino MST3k sets a few years ago. Though I guess that isn’t terrible since even the newer sets retail for $40-60.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, 90% of my collection are things I got during sales.

Every now and then I don't mind going higher if it's a special release - like $60 for the Suspira steelbook. And I especially like supporting small labels. I'm not going to buy any Disney release for $30 on release day, but I'll spend that on the latest Flicker Alley without any regret.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I get dumb and want something right now on occasion, but I'm not really willing to spend more than $30 in those instances.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I am incredibly tempted by that Godzilla box set as a fan from my youth, but I don't know if I can justify a $160 purchase solely based on the fear that it will go out of print.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I get dumb and want something right now on occasion, but I'm not really willing to spend more than $30 in those instances.

New release UHDs tend to be around $30, and I"ll buy those on occasion, but that tends to be my limit unless there's something I absolutely have to have and there's no other way ever (this has not happened).

Lumbermouth posted:

I am incredibly tempted by that Godzilla box set as a fan from my youth, but I don't know if I can justify a $160 purchase solely based on the fear that it will go out of print.

I tend to think that boxed sets are different, because you're not spending $160 for one movie, you're getting several movies in that bunch.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

If you wait for the B&N sale, it'll only be about $120 after tax.

And I doubt it'll go OOP. The Bergman box sold out within a week of release, but Criterion immediately had another print run. They're probably doing a gigantic print run of this anyways considering it's another dual-region release (A/B) and I'd expect it to sell at least 3-4x as much as Bergman.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 8, 2019

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I spent $50-100 each on some of the then-OOP Rhino MST3k sets a few years ago. Though I guess that isn’t terrible since even the newer sets retail for $40-60.

That's less crazy because at least those are sets. Although I never buy stuff like that until the price drops.

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah, 90% of my collection are things I got during sales.

Every now and then I don't mind going higher if it's a special release - like $60 for the Suspira steelbook. And I especially like supporting small labels. I'm not going to buy any Disney release for $30 on release day, but I'll spend that on the latest Flicker Alley without any regret.

I just couldn't jusify paying something like 60 bucks for a single movie. I did pay 50 for Phantom of the Paradise a few years ago because the French import was at the time they only blu-ray release and the DVD of that was dogshit. Six months later Shout announced their release. But that's the highest I ever paid for a single disc. The next most expensive disc I bought was Hardware for just under 40 because I wanted to get that before the prices went out of control (they were already starting to). That eventually got a reissue from another label but it still costs about 35 bucks so I don't have any regrets over that. I'm not opposed to paying a bit of a premium for things like that but once it goes past 40 dollars I pass. It's too much. I suppose if someone has what I call "gently caress you money." it makes more sense but it's lovely that it works that way because it puts that stuff out of normal people's reach. I can't even tell you how many titles I've seen in the discout bins that end up being "collectables" selling for high prices later. I passed on a lot of them figuring I could just get the poo poo whenever. Thankfully I grabbed Neon Demon when it was ten bucks. I'm just tired of everything having to be a mad dash to buy a movie because it could go out of print at anytime and then ebay jerkoffs do their jerkoff bullshit. It's not really feasible for most people to just constantly buy movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only time I spend decent money on a Blu is if it's not available to rent or stream in high-quality. Otherwise my collection's just sub-$5 Amazon sales.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

The only time I spend decent money on a Blu is if it's not available to rent or stream in high-quality. Otherwise my collection's just sub-$5 Amazon sales.

Mostly same for me, this $30 blu ray I bought recently was a Hammer horror movie that was impossible to find streaming in the U.S. due to rights issues. So after a few years of waiting for it to get worked out I just got fed up and paid for the blu ray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Believe it or not, FYE was a good place to get movies. They had their typical price gouging going on, but they also had a lot of good poo poo in the sale bins and better than amazon prices on a bunch of horror movies (and probably other things but I only ever looked there). And they had a surprisingly good horror section. They were the last place that had a good video selection but the one in my area closed down a year or two back. It's where I got Neon Demon for ten bucks and at the time it was still a fairly new movie so most places didn't have it that cheap yet.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I have no problem spending more on a movie if it's a quality release from a boutique label. Except in cases like the Bergman box set, I try to limit my monthly spending to ~$50, and I'd rather get two nice $25 collector's editions than five $10 ones that are just a disc in a generic bluray case.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

If I pay more than $10 for a Blu-ray I feel like I've been scammed.

...then I'll go shill $40 for some loving horror movie soundtrack reissue on vinyl, so whatever. It's all dumb distractions.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sony confirmed today that the PlayStation 5 will have a disc drive with 4K disc support. That’s at least one more gen of physical media.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

UMD 4K is here baby!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Liar Lyre posted:

Sony confirmed today that the PlayStation 5 will have a disc drive with 4K disc support. That’s at least one more gen of physical media.

sweeeet, I was considering finally getting a 4k player this fall but i'll just wait for the PS5 instead

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Physical media is alive for another console generation this is great. Also will be the 3rd UHD player in my house.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
cost is super subjective. Like.. Ace Ventura BD for 22 bucks? Get outta town. Me going on eBay and paying $30 something bucks for Take Shelter, sure why not.

I first-day a lot of UHD Steelbooks but otherwise wait for a sale. I did pick up the Matrix trilogy Steelbook from Best Buy because it fit my needs best. UHD, digital, and not a ton of overlap. Sure I lose out on the remastered BDs, but if I NEED to use a BD, I’m fine w my older copies from the big set. Gotta have my Animatrix after all.

Basically what I’m saying is buy whatever you want! I recently purchased the sets for South Park that collect them 5 seasons at a time. I ended up saving a ton of room and some money versus purchasing individually. Even if I already had a few, but I just gave those to someone who was interested.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

cost is super subjective. Like.. Ace Ventura BD for 22 bucks? Get outta town. Me going on eBay and paying $30 something bucks for Take Shelter, sure why not.

It's because one of these movies is awful transphobic garbage that's only funny to people under 12 and the other is worth owning.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd rather get stuff that might go out of print rather than be tempted later to buy it at some insane markup.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd rather get stuff that might go out of print rather than be tempted later to buy it at some insane markup.

Yup, that’s where I’m at. I missed Slumber Party Massacre 2&3 and I’m not paying more than $30 for that, let alone $100 that it usually goes for.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

From the Blu-ray.com forums...

quote:

Hey Scream/Shout fans. Here to help you out knowing what MGM titles are OOP or going OOP soon, so get them while you can. Just so you don't freak out, Shout and MGM still have a strong relationship. However, as it's been noted in previous posts, licensing periods for films end, and if the sales aren't strong enough to warrant licensing them again, they go out of print. So get them where you can before you have to pay exorbitant prices for them!

Scream Factory
The Amityville Horror Trilogy
Blacula / Scream Blacula Scream
Carrie (2002) / Rage: Carrie 2
Dead Of Winter
Destroyer / Edge Of Sanity
Disturbing Behavior
Empire Of The Ants / Jaws Of Satan
The Food Of The Gods / Frogs
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie (Collector's Edition)
Ghost Town
Ghoulies / Ghoulies II
Howling II: Your Sister Is A Werewolf
I, Madman
The Incredible Melting Man
Invaders From Mars
Leviathan
New Year's Evil
Robot Jox
Scarecrows
Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (Collector's Edition)
Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland (Collector's Edition)
Stigmata
Swamp Thing
Tentacles / Reptilicus
Troll / Troll 2
Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits
The Vincent Price Collection II
Without Warning

Shout Factory
Bagdad Cafe (DVD)
Breathless
Day Of The Outlaw (DVD)
Doc (DVD)
Easy Money / Men At Work
Escape From Grizzly Mountain (DVD)
Hackers (20th Anniversary Edition)
The Hills Run Red / Apache (DVD)
The Pope Of Greenwich Village / Desperate Hours
Science Fiction Theatre: The Complete Series (DVD)
The Sure Thing (30th Anniversary)
War Films Triple Feature (Attack / Attack On The Iron Coast / Beach Red) (DVD)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

From the Blu-ray.com forums...

Half of these are probably already price gouged on ebay. Blacula is 43 dollars on amazon.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
If the third Vincent Price set also goes out of print I’m gonna sell my copies of them all and retire to the Caribbean

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

And I thought I was going to be able to save up for Black Friday. Back to the eBay mines I go.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

If the third Vincent Price set also goes out of print I’m gonna sell my copies of them all and retire to the Caribbean

I bought volume 1 right when it went out of print and I could have gotten a second one but I couldn't shell out for two copies and generally don't like ebay speculators. Last I checked those are like 300 dollars. I would never sell mine though unless people were paying something totally loving absurd like 1000 dollars.

Liar Lyre posted:

And I thought I was going to be able to save up for Black Friday. Back to the eBay mines I go.

gently caress all this dumb bullshit. It's not like I loving NEED this poo poo right now (and I can't afford it anyway). I'm just going to wait until I go region free and if I want this poo poo I'll get import copies. A lot of these titles are easily available from Europe for normal retail (Amazon UK and Germany have cheap shipping). Many of these are on Amazon US for those prices.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

gently caress all this dumb bullshit. It's not like I loving NEED this poo poo right now (and I can't afford it anyway). I'm just going to wait until I go region free and if I want this poo poo I'll get import copies. A lot of these titles are easily available from Europe for normal retail (Amazon UK and Germany have cheap shipping). Many of these are on Amazon US for those prices.

Im checking Amazon now since I got some old gift card money. I need to decide what movies are actually worth getting. Gotta get them Garbage Pail Kids.

And eBay already has some crazy prices. Fun.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Im checking Amazon now since I got some old gift card money. I need to decide what movies are actually worth getting. Gotta get them Garbage Pail Kids.

And eBay already has some crazy prices. Fun.

I'm just tired of everything being a loving racket. It sucks the fun out of having hobbies because a bunch of jerkoffs want to price gouge everything people do to relax and have fun.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Say what you will about Criterion, but in the 11 years they've been releasing Blu-rays, they've only had to take ten Blu-ray releases out of print indefinitely (The Third Man, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Chunking Express, Last Year at Marienbad, Howards End, Army of Shadows, Leon Morin: Priest, Le cercle rouge, The Confession).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Hmm, should I jump on that Sleepaway Camp III blu to round out the "trilogy" or should I just not bother because it's a lovely movie and I doubt it's going to sell out even if it's out of print?