Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

K-Mart started snowmaking; https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Snow-guns-fire-up-at-Killington-562209151.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice. Keystone's new webcams are really cool. The time lapse for the last 24 hours is really neat. Awesome sunset, snow guns firing up.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

Nice. Keystone's new webcams are really cool. The time lapse for the last 24 hours is really neat. Awesome sunset, snow guns firing up.

That is pretty awesome.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Ikon pass came in. Never been so excited to get some stickers and stuff :dance:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well, this is a new one.

https://www.skipass.com/news/194448-avion-vs-telesiege.html

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gotta go at the cables with an A-6 to come out victorious I guess?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pretty low flight! We have a plane or helicopter hit transmission lines every could years but that dude is lucky to not have hit the trees.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I get terrified every time I think about that one jet hitting the lift cables and launching people a hundred feet into the air

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kiimo posted:

I get terrified every time I think about that one jet hitting the lift cables and launching people a hundred feet into the air

Came here to post about this, if we're thinking of the same thing. It was some cocky fighter pilot in Switzerland or Italy or something accidentally cutting a gondola cable and killing everyone aboard, right?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Mister Speaker posted:

Came here to post about this, if we're thinking of the same thing. It was some cocky fighter pilot in Switzerland or Italy or something accidentally cutting a gondola cable and killing everyone aboard, right?

Marine EA-6B, Italian resort.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalese_cable_car_disaster_(1998)

quote:

Twenty people died when a United States Marine Corps EA-6B Prowler aircraft, while flying too low, against regulations, in order for the pilots to "have fun" and "take videos of the scenery", cut a cable supporting a gondola of an aerial tramway. Joseph Schweitzer, one of the two American pilots, confessed in 2012 that he had burned the tape containing incriminating evidence upon returning to the American base.[1] The pilot, Captain Richard J. Ashby, and his navigator, Captain Joseph Schweitzer, were put on trial in the U.S. and found not guilty of involuntary manslaughter and negligent homicide. Later they were found guilty of obstruction of justice and conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman for having destroyed a videotape recorded from the plane, and were dismissed from the Marine Corps.[1] The disaster, and the subsequent acquittal of the pilots, strained relations between the U.S. and Italy.[2]

edit: remind me to never ride the Cavalese aerial tramway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalese_cable_car_disaster_(1976)

quote:

The Cavalese cable car disaster of 1976 is the deadliest cable car crash in history.[1] On 9 March 1976, the steel supporting cable of an aerial tramway broke as a fully loaded cable car was descending from Mt. Cermis near the Italian ski resort of Cavalese in the Dolomites, 40 km (25 mi) north-east of Trento.

The cabin fell some 200 metres (660 ft) down a mountainside, then skidded 100 metres (330 ft) before coming to a halt in a grassy meadow. In the fall, the three-ton overhead carriage assembly fell on top of the car, crushing it. Forty-three people died, including 15 children between the ages of 7 and 15 and the 18-year-old cable car attendant. Initial reports stated 42 dead with one missing; however, the last body, that of Fabio Rustia, was found later.[2] The only survivor was a 14-year-old Milanese girl, Alessandra Piovesana, who was on a school trip and was with two friends when the crash happened.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 7, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And that right there is one of the reasons why I do not ever take the Peak 2 Peak.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

not as horrific but a friend knew a ski instructor who was in a gondola with kids he was looking after when the gondola fell due to heavy winds. he was the sole survivor since the kids broke his fall

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Nope that is fairly horrific holy poo poo.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?

Now I finally moved to a place with snow I got my first season pass since I was about 7 years old. Looking forward to getting more than 4 to 5 days in a season finally!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Stanky Bean posted:

Now I finally moved to a place with snow I got my first season pass since I was about 7 years old. Looking forward to getting more than 4 to 5 days in a season finally!

Nice! Is it a place with a good priced local pass or is a place where you have to get a mega pass/epic/ikon?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I want to try to hit 20 days on the slopes, and try to go somewhere outside of my normal California and Utah routine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This thread took a turn :stonk:

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Last season I did like...2 trips/5 days at Mammoth towards the end, and something like 2-3 trips to glorious Mountain High.

I don’t really have anything concrete other than a few trips to Mammoth and Big Bear, which I’ve never been to other than a family car trip when I was a kid, to justify the cost of Ikon. I’m in a group of friends that went a bunch to Bear last season, whether day trips or occasional weekend stays, so looking forward to that. Not sure I’ll be able to join them for the more remote trips they’ll probably do, but the possibility alone is pretty exciting. Probably a little Mountain High too to board with my non Ikon having friend again.

...and in general want/need to lose at least like 20 pounds. Not sure boarding season will help considering how all out my friends tend to go on prepping food during trips.

Oh and I still suck so just need to get better, I had like 5 days total from years ago before the few trips last season. I got to the point of more or less controlled chaos, still sketchy, especially on steeper and/or narrower terrain, but could more or less go where I need to and keep up with my friends on the last few trips. I think main things I need to do is get more confidence to (at least try to) link turns on steeper terrain, and on the flat/narrow tracks. There was one super long right turn one last season that killed me, stayed sliding/turning toe side the whole time cause any time I tried heel side (or switch/toe side) I’d end up carving straight towards the edge.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season?

Going to be hard to beat last year in Colorado: over 80 days for me... a good chunk of them amazing pow days.

I'm hoping to start exploring the backcountry responsibly and getting a feel for the uphill.

The goal after this season is moving west from the front range- the driving is going to kill me.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I want to get sub-200 points in GS, and sub-250 in slalom.

Depending on how the schedule works out I also want to get back on the Masters national team, but if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Being the laziest person in this thread, I'm guesstimating 35 days.

dox posted:

The goal after this season is moving west from the front range- the driving is going to kill me.

We know you love the weekend ski traffic.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Nice! Is it a place with a good priced local pass or is a place where you have to get a mega pass/epic/ikon?

Mt. Bachelor. Got a midweek pass that's good m-f with blackouts on the weekends and during the Christmas/new years period. looking at starting a job that would have me off on fridays and in the afternoons the rest of the week. so at least I could have one solid day a week on the mountain. I'm not complaining that's for sure. Looks like I may have just lost my main ski buddy as my dad hurt his knee today. Opposite from the one he boned up last ski season. Hopefully it's not super nasty. Getting old blows.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Stanky Bean posted:

Mt. Bachelor. Got a midweek pass that's good m-f with blackouts on the weekends and during the Christmas/new years period. looking at starting a job that would have me off on fridays and in the afternoons the rest of the week. so at least I could have one solid day a week on the mountain. I'm not complaining that's for sure. Looks like I may have just lost my main ski buddy as my dad hurt his knee today. Opposite from the one he boned up last ski season. Hopefully it's not super nasty. Getting old blows.

Sweet. I am about 3 hours from Bachelor and 1 hour from Hood, so I have had some experience with both. Bachelor has a lot of mountain there for one resort, that is a great one to have a pass to. My company usually does an offsite trip to there, every year or every other year that is a lot of fun. It is actually what got me started in Winter sports, back in the winter of 2016. I went down there last February and skied about 5 days then got snowbound in Sunriver/LaPine for an extra 3 days. Was a lot of fun for sure. I wish there was an Oregon Collective pass.

I also hear that Bachelor is looking at making some improvements on the smaller lodge side and renaming a bunch of stuff. Which makes sense to me, from a visitor standpoint, as half the chairs seemed to be named very, very similarly that it was almost confusing. I rode their newest lift, I think, one that is kind of off the side, and really enjoyed it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Haven't really thought about it yet but probably have a goal of 30 days in the BC, 20 in the resort, 3 bigger couloirs in the spring, maybe a winter overnight camp, maybe a hut trip. Once we get closer to the season we will see.

I have 5 BC days and 1 resort day already thanks to Argentina.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

We know you love the weekend ski traffic.

After not doing this for 5 years and watching my friends Instagrams and Google maps I don't know how people handle it.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Sweet. I am about 3 hours from Bachelor and 1 hour from Hood, so I have had some experience with both. Bachelor has a lot of mountain there for one resort, that is a great one to have a pass to. My company usually does an offsite trip to there, every year or every other year that is a lot of fun. It is actually what got me started in Winter sports, back in the winter of 2016. I went down there last February and skied about 5 days then got snowbound in Sunriver/LaPine for an extra 3 days. Was a lot of fun for sure. I wish there was an Oregon Collective pass.

I also hear that Bachelor is looking at making some improvements on the smaller lodge side and renaming a bunch of stuff. Which makes sense to me, from a visitor standpoint, as half the chairs seemed to be named very, very similarly that it was almost confusing. I rode their newest lift, I think, one that is kind of off the side, and really enjoyed it.

yeah I've always gotten a huge kick out of skiing there since I started visiting around 5 years ago. I think they added the cloudchaser chair last season or the one before which opened up a lot of the southeast side of the mountain without having to push along the catchline too much. It also stays decently shielded when the weather moves in and makes skiing over towards northwest chair less pleasurable. I did read they were renaming a couple of chairs and adding a few beginner things as well as a terrain park and redoing the sunshine lodge for this year. I still haven't skied off the backside of the summit so I definitely have a goal for this season. Last year I at least got 4 or 5 laps off the summit with a foot of fresh powder during the high season, so I'm looking forward to upping that.

Stanky Bean fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 8, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think I have ever been to Bachelor when the summit lift has been opened, it seems hard to catch it with the conditions needed. One time it was open, but I was not all that great of a skier and it looked like it would have been a challenge to even make it into the lift house.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

And that right there is one of the reasons why I do not ever take the Peak 2 Peak.

Seriously?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

More accurately I'm afraid of heights. I've been on it exactly one time and that's enough for me.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I don't think I have ever been to Bachelor when the summit lift has been opened, it seems hard to catch it with the conditions needed. One time it was open, but I was not all that great of a skier and it looked like it would have been a challenge to even make it into the lift house.

From what I've seen they usually dont have it open in mornings when there has been weather as there is a lot of deicing and avalanche control to do. It will often open up later in the afternoons those days. That can lead to a line building up as people hear the avalanche control explosions going off and anticipate it opening up. Yeah also there is a incline and some maneuvering just to get into the lifthouse which can definitely be a deterrent to less experienced skiers and snowboarders. I think they usually only groom 2 ways down from it as well but don't quote me on that. Since it's a volcano you can pretty much ski 360 degrees down from the top once they open up the backside or you can make your way over to the huge bowl and it's not too hard to find areas to make fresh tracks on powder days. There is plenty of other mountain to utilize though so if you dont feel super confident it is probably better to just do laps elsewhere. I've honestly had the most fun on northwest (mix of blacks and blues) and cloudchaser (all blues) as you can avoid the crowds that swamp the main lift (pine marten). They both offer a lot of opportunity to get into the trees and glade areas if you're into that. Northwest can get nasty with the weather though as it's positioned to take the brunt of most of prevailing storms.

Stanky Bean fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 8, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Anyone here had their shoulder repaired? How long did it keep you off the mountain? I just booked heli skiing at Silverton at the end of February so I need to get this thing over with quickly. MRI is next week and then I just need to schedule the procedure and prepare for a mountain of PT.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Anyone here had their shoulder repaired? How long did it keep you off the mountain? I just booked heli skiing at Silverton at the end of February so I need to get this thing over with quickly. MRI is next week and then I just need to schedule the procedure and prepare for a mountain of PT.

What type of repair? Collar bone was 12 weeks. Rotator cuff was about the same, but a longer timeline to full recovery.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

100% of the season days. I usually burn out a bit mid season and take a handful of days off or pick up a mild knock.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

spwrozek posted:

What type of repair? Collar bone was 12 weeks. Rotator cuff was about the same, but a longer timeline to full recovery.

It’s most likely a torn labrum I’m told, which I guess is part of the rotator cuff? Here’s hoping I can get the surgery scheduled earlier than later.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Get back on skis after having a kidney removed, get a decent trip out west in, and get enough local days in (weather permitting) that I can justify buying a season pass to one of the local mountains next year. If I hit 15 days I'd be ecstatic.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Get better at xc skating with at least 10 great 3 hr days, do an xc classic course, finish a xc tourist race without breaking my collarbone as I did this year.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

First Steamboat snow forecast this Thursday. It's happening. Kill your dad.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Disinterested posted:

How old's your kid?

He’s nine. Been skiing since he was six, but we missed a season and a half because I was recovering from a concussion and my wife doesn’t ski. He’s actually not bad on some of the easier bumps at Winter Park, but my goal is to be able to take him down something like Outhouse and have it be fun for him.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

How old's your kid?