Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I've been having fun with Skargann, it really does feel like one of the few things left that big red can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
That card is so sad compared to questing beast.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

When I did my run of the win every card event, my Golos Fields got rocked hard by a deck that just continually played Kaya's wrath, planar cleansing, doom foretold, oath of kaya, and other board wipers. And then they dance'd them back in twice, first time as creatures to knock me below 10 and second time as just enchantments but it was still enough.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
The single worst deck in this format is cat bake. Matches take about 5 times as long as they should because of mentally deficient idiots trying to combo the cat back and forth

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Argas posted:

When I did my run of the win every card event, my Golos Fields got rocked hard by a deck that just continually played Kaya's wrath, planar cleansing, doom foretold, oath of kaya, and other board wipers. And then they dance'd them back in twice, first time as creatures to knock me below 10 and second time as just enchantments but it was still enough.

That seems weird because Golos Fields has a great matchup against Dance. You usually don't have any non-token permanents to sacrifice, or if you do, they're not cards that matter.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

I love Sir Konrad the Grim in draft and the slow creeping dread of the inevitability of death it causes in all opponents. Especially when I play a second Konrad the second the opponent somehow kills the first one. Or dig them both back into my hand via shenanigans should both of them die.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

qbert posted:

That seems weird because Golos Fields has a great matchup against Dance. You usually don't have any non-token permanents to sacrifice, or if you do, they're not cards that matter.

Usually it was due to timing. I'd get a bunch of zombies out and they'd wipe it, or I'd have to sac Golos, etc. Every time I was ready to swing in the next turn they'd clear my board on their turn or right before I went. A few times I had to clear my board in the process with Realm-Cloaked Giant. The short of it is that I rarely got a chance to actually attack them with much of anything except a Golos and a pair of zombies.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I love Sir Konrad the Grim in draft and the slow creeping dread of the inevitability of death it causes in all opponents. Especially when I play a second Konrad the second the opponent somehow kills the first one. Or dig them both back into my hand via shenanigans should both of them die.

I had an interesting game in a draft vs a golgari deck. Game 1 I stalled until I milled him out, but game 2 I lost to Syr Konrad + Forever Young dropping 10 creatures on top of his library, which is a cool use of that card.

There's almost a standard dredge deck there I think. maybe if you mill yourself with Ashiok, you can get pings from milling your own creatures, get more pings by exiling creatures from your opponent's GY, and then drop Forever Young and get a bunch more pings. You might be able to do something with Narcomoebas and Creeping Chill too.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I wish I could find the video of the guy who made the deck but it was named something really stupid.

It involved Konrad and Enhanced Surveillance. Get a few Enhanced Surveillances out and surveil your whole deck into the yard, until you get a Konrad out. Then crack Enhanced Surveillance and machine gun ping for a OTK.

You can do some really really fun (although bad) stuff with Konrad, it's a great card.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

A Moose posted:

I had an interesting game in a draft vs a golgari deck. Game 1 I stalled until I milled him out, but game 2 I lost to Syr Konrad + Forever Young dropping 10 creatures on top of his library, which is a cool use of that card.

There's almost a standard dredge deck there I think. maybe if you mill yourself with Ashiok, you can get pings from milling your own creatures, get more pings by exiling creatures from your opponent's GY, and then drop Forever Young and get a bunch more pings. You might be able to do something with Narcomoebas and Creeping Chill too.

Doesn't Ashiok exile in addition to putting stuff in the graveyard?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

axeil posted:

Doesn't Ashiok exile in addition to putting stuff in the graveyard?

it only exiles the opponent's gy, regardless of who he targets.

Edit: Cauldron of Eternity and Emry can both help with this too. You can use emry to grab the cauldron, to grab Konrad. Also if something dies while cauldron is in play, it triggers Konrad twice, because it enters the GY, then leaves to go to the bottom of your library. Maybe you could include a bunch of X cost creatures too, so you can trigger Konrad for 0.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 8, 2019

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1181670047720333312

Welcome to the Glitter Brute Meta.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Magic Underwear posted:

Field is really stupid because it practically can't fail to go off, usually goes off stupidly quickly and the thing you need to do to activate it (ramp) is already insanely rewarding in itself. On top of the whole impossible to interact with thing. It should have been like 9 unique lands. I really shouldn't be facing down an active field on turn four.

imo Fields would be a lot more reasonable if the zombies came in tapped so jamming Circuitous Route or whatever T4 didn't also make a pair of blockers to close the door against aggro.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Hit mythic yesterday in Bo1 playing Cavalier Fires all the way up from Plat. Smashed almost every Golos matchup, they can only bounce the enchantment and even ramped can't race hasted beaters, just one Clarion usually sealed the deal. 4 Gales 2 Flames 3 Kenrith

Simic Flash is almost impossible to beat, however

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

This was my experience as well, Dance owned me. You see that Doom Foretold card and are like "is that supposed to be a threat?" but it's really the 5 billion Wraths clearing a path for Dance of the Manse.

Of course the moment I blow my wildcards on this Fields deck is the moment the meta starts to get wise to it.

Still there's room for me to get better at piloting the deck. Most of your own creatures are great candidates to bounce with Teferi/TimeWipe, and Teferi also enables stuff like Circuitous Route at the end of their turn.

With all that said, the deck doesn't feel any more powerful than just vanilla Gates decks, and in fact someone with a Gates deck outraced me with an early Ram and a hasted Colossus.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
https://twitter.com/ghirapurigears/status/1181670408510046208?s=19

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zero VGS posted:

This was my experience as well, Dance owned me. You see that Doom Foretold card and are like "is that supposed to be a threat?" but it's really the 5 billion Wraths clearing a path for Dance of the Manse.

Of course the moment I blow my wildcards on this Fields deck is the moment the meta starts to get wise to it.

Still there's room for me to get better at piloting the deck. Most of your own creatures are great candidates to bounce with Teferi/TimeWipe, and Teferi also enables stuff like Circuitous Route at the end of their turn.

With all that said, the deck doesn't feel any more powerful than just vanilla Gates decks, and in fact someone with a Gates deck outraced me with an early Ram and a hasted Colossus.

Yeah, I can definitely see how I could've altered the deck to play better but I have no idea how it's supposed to be a favorable matchup. Obviously luck is a factor but they play a few wishes and other spells to fish for the right answer but even without that, they were able to keep wiping my board and I just didn't have anything with haste to deal with it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Standard is not going well, continously maimed by Golos and Simic flash

I switched to the self-mill deck to take a break and lost... to a mill deck because I was mana screwed

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lone Goat posted:

why does the deck have to be white, is this a freemagic thing?

I just like it

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
REALLY hoping Theros Beyond Death has some anti-land stuff. Easy route for WotC is slapping in Field of Ruin. Dream route for me is a reprint of Wasteland.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Waffleopolis posted:

REALLY hoping Theros Beyond Death has some anti-land stuff. Easy route for WotC is slapping in Field of Ruin. Dream route for me is a reprint of Wasteland.

I hope they print ghost quarter and I use it to make more zombies.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Reprint Wasteland and Crucible of Worlds

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Argas posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see how I could've altered the deck to play better but I have no idea how it's supposed to be a favorable matchup. Obviously luck is a factor but they play a few wishes and other spells to fish for the right answer but even without that, they were able to keep wiping my board and I just didn't have anything with haste to deal with it.

You deal with it by just making more zombies next turn. Don't blow your wad early and make 16 zombies into a sweeper; once you're making zombies, just make a few and sit on them until your opponent is forced to answer them. Then play another land and make more.

You have more lands in your deck than they have sweepers in theirs!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

I made a new deck that has 1 of every Guildgate, Gatebreaker Ram, Colossus, Gates Ablaze and Fields for good measure and it seems to be outperforming normal fields on my ladder. Ram and Colossus are way stronger out of the gate, so to speak.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
STFU Fairy but for all ETBs, not just creatures.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kraps posted:

Yeah that's really all I want, I'll be glad to see your deck.

Here you go!

As advertised, this is a budget deck, not a pro deck. It won't win tournaments and I probably wouldn't take it to constructed events. If you are Very Serious Magic Player, ignore this post. Otherwise, you can mash play and probably ranked up todiamond and be ok I think. Also this can absolutely be optimized and tweaked. For example, the Brazen Borrower is only there because I opened one. Just make a few alterations and swaps based on what's in your collection. The core functionality of the deck is the Faerie Miscreant/Faeire Vandal/Cloudkin/Empyrean/Guardmage synergy. They are really the only cards I wouldn't change. You slam creatures down and draw +1 card on most turns. The birbs get big and beat up the enemy. If they have lots of removal, your constant card draw can hopefully keep enough bodies on the field to win anyway.

This is a pretty low-brain power deck. Every creature flies, and it's designed to simply bash down an enemy with poo poo they hopefully can't block. But there is enough durability in the fliers that between them and Yanling you can often hold against aggro. it has enough soft draw to keep you with gas for anything but really long games, and pumping up the Vandals in the process. Time Wipe + Elite Guardmage is your emergency option to reset the board and get some gas back.

Notes about deck
- As presented, only three rares and three mythic rares. Everything else is common/uncommon. Super noob friendly!
- Trapped in the Tower is used here because it's cheaper than other disables, you should be winning the air fight anyway, and there is half chance you have a Yanling around to make any creature a target for it anyway.
- Would possibly drop the Evol Isles for two more Cloudkin Seers. Deck hasn't really had mana troubles most of the time. Still trying it out.
- Every creature in the deck is at least part blue, so you just always chose that color for Heradlic Banner. It will buff every creature you have.
- You can probably swap out some of R/MR cards or add with whatever is in your collection. The core play is really just "play flyers --> buff flyers --> draw +1 card most turns"
- I've rarely had any mana issues despite minimal fixing. Obviously you could burn WCs to make this better, but the whole point is the deck is cheap.

Does surprisingly well against a lot of common metas. Can hold aggro in enough cases. May be able to just fly over Fields decks before they get up to steam. Actually does pretty well against Simic because you often have enough creatures on the field by the time their engine is up an running, and can easily beat up the sailors.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 8, 2019

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

IMJack posted:

STFU Fairy but for all ETBs, not just creatures.

Reprint Lava Blister and Brow Beat. I want a "Choose your own Adventure" red deck with adventure aggro creatures, LB, BB, and Risk Factor.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bring back Strip Mine

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Reprint strip mine and sink hole

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So is play matching based on collection size, mastery rank, or is it just random?

Because I went from facing other starter account with basic decks, to Golos Fields at mastery 10.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Reality Sinner posted:

Or just ban Fields. Or just restrict it to Historic.

I actually like Standard otherwise, though. Playing against a non Golos Field deck is generally a good time!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So is play matching based on collection size, mastery rank, or is it just random?

Because I went from facing other starter account with basic decks, to Golos Fields at mastery 10.

which queue

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

flatluigi posted:

which queue

Arena Play Modes, and Play, haven't jumped into the ladder.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah unranked is lousy with rear end in a top hat Golos players.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Arena Play Modes, and Play, haven't jumped into the ladder.

I think it still is the case that the first 50 or so games are against other people with very new accounts in the play queue, then they just throw you into the deep end. At this point, it might be better to just play ranked and hang out in bronze. You'll still see some full meta decks on the start of their climb but it should average out. A lot of folks with all the cards who also have ranked anxiety like to try to farm the play queue for their daily quests.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Reality Sinner posted:

Reprint Sinkhole at original common rarity :getin:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm enjoying Gruul cause they're big and dumb. What would people recommend as priority common/uncommon crafts to upgrade the free mastery deck?

Know there's an Embercleave Gruul list knocking around, should I just be working towards that (albeit in pieces, don't think I can quite afford four Questing Beasts quite yet)?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Chomp8645 posted:

Here you go!

Mind posting the decklist? I'm looking for something similar for faffing about with but I can't make out all the names and I'm too recently back to the game to recognize the art.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SageNytell posted:

Mind posting the decklist? I'm looking for something similar for faffing about with but I can't make out all the names and I'm too recently back to the game to recognize the art.

Faerie Miscreant x4
Faerie Vandal x4
Trapped in the Tower x3
Cloudkin Seer x2
Warden of Evos Isle x2
Brazen Borrower x1
Empyrean Eagle x4
Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer x2
Heraldic Banner x2
Elite Guardmage x2
Senate Griffin x3
Time Wipe x2