Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

He was nearly in the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Was the movie any good?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's enjoyable. Not as good as classic Simpsons but better than zombie Simpsons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Was the movie any good?

Yeah, it's pretty good.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It was totally forgettable

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen the movie twice and still have only a vague recollection of it. I haven't been able to sit through it anymore than that. There's a few genuinely good moments I suppose but most of it is super forced and has all the staples of zombie Simpsons humor. I would go as far as to say that current episodes are better than the movie, though that isn't saying much.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Was the movie any good?

It’s a probably an improvement over the seasons when it came out but still pretty meh and forgettable.

I only saw it once and thought it was kinda awkward. Why did they have to show Bart’s dick. I also remember one of the jokes being “lol wouldn’t it be funny if Arnold Schwarzenegger was President so wacky”.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I sure am glad freedom from television standards allowed them to give us what we'd been clamoring for since day one: Bart Simpson's underage dick.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

“lol wouldn’t it be funny if Arnold Schwarzenegger was President so wacky”.

I remember hearing that McBain was going to be the president and Scorpio was going to be... whoever the villain was? I can't remember anything about that movie except, yeah, nude Bart.

Apparently they dropped Scorpio because he was too likeable to work as the villain. And I guess they succeeded in finding someone who had no charisma at all.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Was the movie any good?

No

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I remember hearing that McBain was going to be the president and Scorpio was going to be... whoever the villain was? I can't remember anything about that movie except, yeah, nude Bart.

Apparently they dropped Scorpio because he was too likeable to work as the villain. And I guess they succeeded in finding someone who had no charisma at all.

Brooks played the villain

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Literally all I remember about it is the trailers which ran the "spider-pig" joke into the ground before the movie was even in theaters

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Data Graham posted:

Literally all I remember about it is the trailers which ran the "spider-pig" joke into the ground before the movie was even in theaters

Was the "Homer between a rock and a hard place" "joke" in the movie because thats the only other awful attempt at humour I can remember from the marketing.

I never bothered seeing the movie.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

honestly i can't tell if the spider-pig joke was never funny or if the commercials made me think it wasn't funny

probably a little of column A and a LOT of column B

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Movie was good but it’s kinda amazing how little interest I would have in revisiting it. The humor was closer to the modern shows but tighter and clearly more well scripted.

I just really wish that the show ended there. It wouldn’t have been the greatest exit but they could say they walked away “on top” with a huge movie event. Now it’s just so sad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

honestly i can't tell if the spider-pig joke was never funny or if the commercials made me think it wasn't funny

probably a little of column A and a LOT of column B

Spider-Pig was never funny, but it was probably the funniest part of the movie.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The naked skateboard gag was pretty funny, I thought, since they did the whole "convenient censoring" trope and then inverted it at the end. I don't think anyone expected to see Bart's doodle.

Spider-Pig was annoying.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The simpsons movie sucked badly and was no better than the contemporary episodes of the time (2006?)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

Was the "Homer between a rock and a hard place" "joke" in the movie because thats the only other awful attempt at humour I can remember from the marketing.

I saw it on the opening weekend and the rock/hard place and spider pig jokes got by far the biggest laughs, which made me sad. The movie was alright but it's not a must see or anything.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I think they changed Wolfcastle to Arnold and didn’t use Scorpio because they thought the idiot mainstream audience wouldn’t understand who those characters were.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
From what I understand about audiences, they were probably right

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The one funny line in The Simpsons Movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA_TvXEW1bg&t=49s

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think they changed Wolfcastle to Arnold and didn’t use Scorpio because they thought the idiot mainstream audience wouldn’t understand who those characters were.

i bet it was because they didn't want to pay royalties to the writers who came up with those characters lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I saw the movie, and I remember literally nothing from it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I Redbox'd the movie, worst $.99 I ever spent

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I had a great time watching that movie in a packed theater at midnight opening night and I never need to see it again. Not that memorable itself but was a great time in the theater. Much like the Aqua Teen movie, although I like that movie more.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Iron Crowned posted:

A DVD copy of the movie appeared at my house at some point, and none of my family members could confirm where it came from. After a few months I finally watched it one night when I was bored. I think it ended up getting sold to Half Price Books a few years later, along with a bunch of other movies and books.

Somehow I feel that's the ideal Simpsons Movie experience.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I fell asleep during the part where they leave Springfield and woke up when Homer was taking the motorcycle around the dome or whatever. I remember seeing a 10-year old animated boy’s penis and feeling really weird about why it needed to be in the movie. I remember I liked seeing Green Day die but hated everything else about them being in the movie, including that they were even in the movie at all.

So in essence it was the best thing they’ve done since season 11.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I had a great time watching that movie in a packed theater at midnight opening night and I never need to see it again. Not that memorable itself but was a great time in the theater. Much like the Aqua Teen movie, although I like that movie more.

The only part of the ATHF movie I remember liking is the opening, which owns.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Iron Crowned posted:

They had red box back then?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Milo and POTUS posted:

That’s around when they were getting big. I also redboxed it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Frank Scorpio earnestly loved Homer so I don't think he would have been a good villain for the movie, as nice as it would have been to see him again. So it was a good change.

The EPA being a villain is pretty bad tho.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is a troubling thought, but Mr. Skinner pretended to be Mrs. Skinner's biological son. And he had a dream about her working in a whorehouse. A dream that was important enough to get a call-back in the game Simpsons Tapped Out.

WTF is going on with the Skinners?

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

The bit with Marge's video message to Homer, and Flanders bonding with Bart, I thought were nice moments. Some of the wacky stuff with random springfield people dealing with the dome was funny.
There were some really bad jokes: Dome Depot, the Walrus GTA parody, Spider Pig. Lisa's boyfriend was a complete waste of time. The random "boob lady" who shows up out of nowhere and is never seen again was pretty stupid and probably racist. Homer was acting like more of a stupid rear end in a top hat than usual, his whole turning point was learning that other people matter besides him, which makes him like a psychopath rather than a guy who's kind of a bumbling doofus who means well.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I literally can't remember anything about the Simpsons movie except Spider-Pig. I didn't even dislike the movie. I wasn't even on drugs, it wasn't bad enough to piss me off or good enough to remember.

The Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie has the best starting three minutes of any movie ever made, but unless you start doing bong rips when the theme song starts playing, you're not going to have a good time for the rest (I've watched it at least five times.)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only thing I remember from the movie is the villain having the a line that exemplifies my main beef with zombie Simpsons writing. "Of course I've gone mad with power! Have you ever tried going mad without power?" which would have been kind of funny on its own, but was immediately followed by the unnecessary "It's boring! No one listens to ya!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yeah, most of them were inside of McDonald's, which I would walk the half mile to because I was broke at the time and didn't want to waste gas to grab a movie. On the way home I'd snag a 40oz at the liquor store, and sneak through the break in the fence at the neighboring apartment complex because it was a short cut.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Red Box has been around for almost twenty years

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The only thing I remember from the movie is the villain having the a line that exemplifies my main beef with zombie Simpsons writing. "Of course I've gone mad with power! Have you ever tried going mad without power?" which would have been kind of funny on its own, but was immediately followed by the unnecessary "It's boring! No one listens to ya!"

This is honestly the worst sin the post-Golden Years Simpsons makes - the over-explaining of a joke, coupled with letting it go on too long. Family Guy started the downward trend by pandering to the lowest common denominator, a demographic that GY Simpsons openly mocked and avoided. They would let a joke sit when it needed to, but never lingered. Sign gags flew by pretty quickly, and they demanded the viewer was sharp and paid attention. Nowadays everything has to be on screen for 10 seconds longer than it needs to, making the “joke” even less funny. They assume the viewer won’t understand unless it’s spoon-fed to them. Family Guy pounds everything into the ground until any semblance of humor is stripped away - in 1996, the Simpsons would have mocked the hell out of that trend. Now they just embrace it because it’s lazy and easy to do.

That “rock and a hard place” joke in the movie is a perfect worst example. It goes on and on to the point where it’s just stupid. There’s a million different ways to make that scene work and make it funny, and most of them involve a 5 second run time. Any classic Simpsons fan in the theater that laughed at that should have been ashamed of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, most of them were inside of McDonald's, which I would walk the half mile to because I was broke at the time and didn't want to waste gas to grab a movie. On the way home I'd snag a 40oz at the liquor store, and sneak through the break in the fence at the neighboring apartment complex because it was a short cut.

Sounds fuckin dope imo