Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

FFT really gave the wrong idea of what a Malboro is like and that really hosed me in later games.

A more true to form Malboro would have like summons that were instant cast and did status effects and cost no mana.

"oh just 10 Marlboros? What are you going to do? Slowly meander over and flail at me? Eat some Ice 4"

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A real Marlboro would smoke cigarettes and entice children to smoke and put shades on at night and be too cool for school and wear pompadours, tbf

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Why do massive animals know how to use world ending magic spells anyway?

Given how early FF seems to be so heavily based by D&D the answer is probably a mix of "they have been aether-touched and can now use magic because of a miracle", "they are born in the world of magic and thus have organs specifically tailored for magic" or "a wizard made the tarrasque and we have no loving idea why anyone would make that oh god help help heeelp"

For an example of the last one, see: Sin.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Behemoths are usually end-game enemies in some weird loving spots. FF4's are on the moon, FF5's are in the void, FF6's are on the floating continent that was where all the espers were living.

It makes sense they'd all have weird loving powers.

Also to add fuel to the Behemoth debate, here's the FFWiki page for 'em.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm getting a huge Behemoth Tattoo and my Penis will be its horn.

I just need to get the angle right

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Torturing myself with the FF7 soundtrack but geeze I don't have the 100+ hours I usually put into a play through of that game. I'll be done by spring if I start now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finally got No Encounter! I had to go backwards from Djose and stumble around until I found the right spot but I got the drakes.

It was really nice and really convenient to go back inside Sin and get all the chests without fighting something every 5 steps.

I think I'm going to take the time to Pokemon Auron's ultimate weapon. It shouldn't be hard, just time consuming.

I think I'm skipping Lulu's after all because she's still not close to the damage cap right now so being able to break it wouldn't be helpful. Plus dodging lightning is doable but would be annoying and boring.

I also might try Omega Ruins just to see how powerful my party really is.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Battle Square is such bullshit.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Basically once you get to the calm lands, get a Capture weapon for all the physical hitters and stick strength+X on it and by the time you get the airship you have enough monsters for a ton of cool rewards including yuna and aurons ultimate weapon stuff.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Eschenique posted:

Battle Square is such bullshit.

It's not if you equip a ribbon and only have enemy skill materia equipped.

First fight, cast big guard so you have haste for the rest of the battle. One shot everything with Beta, Aqualung or Trine, use White Wind to heal.

You WANT the worst handicaps so you get more points, the only way you should really fail is if you get "Accessory Broken".

My friend used to go in fully equipped and would use summons. Just like Emerald Weapon, less is more.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm getting a huge Behemoth Tattoo and my Penis will be its horn.

I just need to get the angle right

Hornless! Hornless!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Just like Emerald Weapon, less is more.

do go in as cloud with a full limit lv3 gauge however, you need something with turn priority to snipe with if you get ghost ship, to avoid goannai

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Whoops wrong thread.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 8, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I forgot how good the FF12 ending is. Also forgot that it has a NG+ mode. Next up in my massive weird FF kick is a re-evaluation of 13.
https://twitter.com/CardCaptorKaren/status/1181700909585195008

njsykora fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 9, 2019

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

do go in as cloud with a full limit lv3 gauge however, you need something with turn priority to snipe with if you get ghost ship, to avoid goannai

Oh yeah I forgot to mention going in with a limit break ready, the great thing is you don't lose it after the battle either :)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Once you get the Phoenix card, can you tell the queen of cards to gently caress off and never see her again?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Once you get the Phoenix card, can you tell the queen of cards to gently caress off and never see her again?

She'll still maintain a trade rule of your choosing in a region of your choosing, which can be helpful for disc 4 CC group card farming if you're so inclined.

1. Move her to whatever region you want (lose some lovely rare cards to do this, you can get them back from disc 4 CC group).
2. Once she gets there, challenge her until you see the trade rule you want on the rules screen. You do not have to play any of these challenges, just get to the rules screen and quit.
3. Do not challenge her again after that, even just saying no without getting to the rules screen. If you accidentally do, repeat step 2. Normal conversation with her, such as paying to add rules, is just fine.

Or the simpler option, aka "just make sure Direct doesn't make a nuisance of itself":

1. Leave her wherever the gently caress she ends up when you're done with or sick of her quest.
2. Challenge her, get to rules screen, and quit, and repeat this until she's using some trade rule other than Direct.
3. Ignore her forever after.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

njsykora posted:

I forgot how good the FF12 ending is. Also forgot that it has a NG+ mode. Next up in my massive weird FF kick is a re-evaluation of 13.
https://twitter.com/CardCaptorKaren/status/1181700909585195008

the NG+ mode doesn't really add much, though, does it?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Dell_Zincht posted:

It's not if you equip a ribbon and only have enemy skill materia equipped.

First fight, cast big guard so you have haste for the rest of the battle. One shot everything with Beta, Aqualung or Trine, use White Wind to heal.

You WANT the worst handicaps so you get more points, the only way you should really fail is if you get "Accessory Broken".

My friend used to go in fully equipped and would use summons. Just like Emerald Weapon, less is more.

Oh yeah I can beat it no problem. It's just such a frustrating grind and it doesn't even award XP or AP. I think I'll skip it all together this playthrough.

What's the organic way of beating Emerald weapon anyway? I mean you have to assume that 100% of players missed the chance to get the underwater materia and I don't think even Knights of the Round has enough DPS to finish it in 20 min do they?

I read a guide a long time ago about using barret with like 10 "counter" materias to make him counter for 100k damage whenever he was hit and also enough AP to make Ungarmax do 9999 damage per shot.

It worked okay but mastering that many counter materias took more effort than mastering kotr twice over I think.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

What's the deal with Sephiroth anyway?

I must have beat 7 something like 10 times now and I still don't know his deal. So for a moment he thought he was an ancient. And he culturally appropriates their struggle and gets all indignant at "humans" for being cowards while his ancestors sacrificed themselves in the battle against interplanetary Thing-Satan.

Then it turns out he was Thing-Satan all along and he just roles with it. I thought he was supposed to be a good guy but then his Jenova cells took control of him and made him do bad stuff. But he may have wrested control back from Jenova and so he's doing all this evil crap on his own accord?

But then even the fallen hero story doesn't really work because they were all mercs for loving Shinra in an imperialist war. Including Elmyra's husband.

Also what's the deal with everyone living in a downtrodden slum while Aeris has her own private meadow with a loving mansion? The zone transition may as well be a teleporter to lost city for how it matches the rest of Midgar. Why is she even growing flowers in the church when the house has them all over the place?

Didn't she say that flowers only grew in the church?

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 9, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eschenique posted:

Oh yeah I can beat it no problem. It's just such a frustrating grind and it doesn't even award XP or AP. I think I'll skip it all together this playthrough.

What's the organic way of beating Emerald weapon anyway? I mean you have to assume that 100% of players missed the chance to get the underwater materia and I don't think even Knights of the Round has enough DPS to finish it in 20 min do they?

I read a guide a long time ago about using barret with like 10 "counter" materias to make him counter for 100k damage whenever he was hit and also enough AP to make Ungarmax do 9999 damage per shot.

It worked okay but mastering that many counter materias took more effort than mastering kotr twice over I think.

If you don't equip >8 materials Aire Tam beam no longer kills you (1111 per materia equipped). It's been long enough that I don't remember how necessary the underwater materia is.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eschenique posted:

I must have beat 7 something like 10 times now and I still don't know his deal. So for a moment he thought he was an ancient. And he culturally appropriates their struggle and gets all indignant at "humans" for being cowards while his ancestors sacrificed themselves in the battle against interplanetary Thing-Satan.

Then it turns out he was Thing-Satan all along and he just roles with it. I thought he was supposed to be a good guy but then his Jenova cells took control of him and made him do bad stuff. But he may have wrested control back from Jenova and so he's doing all this evil crap on his own accord?

But then even the fallen hero story doesn't really work because they were all mercs for loving Shinra in an imperialist war. Including Elmyra's husband.

Double post for a double quote.

Seffie is a human infused with Jenova cells, doing what Jenovas do, which is traveling from planet to planet sucking them dry. He thinks he's an ancient because Shin-Ra thought Jenova was. I don't remember if he wises up to the difference, though I think he does. He rolls with it because he's a monstrosity of science with no real attachments to the world and because he can. Until a decked out party comes to stop him he's far and away the most powerful thing on the planet.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 9, 2019

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's a lot of different ways to beat Emerald Weapon without super grinding but they require some good knowledge of how the game works and how to optimize DPS.

The best budget DPS option without grinding a ton or intense game mechanic abuse is probably just Demi+Quadra Magic. Emerald Weapon is not immune to Gravity effects, but the damage cap stops that from being a silly way to kill it fast. Enemy Skill Beta or whatever your strongest non Ice/Water AoE for the eyes and just keep at it.

The easiest non grindy way to kill it is to go into the battle and trigger lucky 7s on everyone. But that requires extreme knowledge of what that is and how to set it up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Eschenique posted:

he's a test tube baby who was raised by shinra reps. he was led to believe that his parents were estranged and his mother's name was jenova, which in a sense was true because his unnatural strength is due to being infused with jenova cells when he was young. when he finds the other, much less successful, experiments in mako's nibelheim reactor he goes completely off his trolley and becomes obsessed with the research notes of shinra researcher dr gast, who was studying the cetra civilization. gast mistakenly believed that jenova was an ancient when she was actually The Thing and responsible for collapsing their civilization, but his notes in the mansion never got that far and so sephiroth believes that he and his "mother" are ancients and the true inheritors of the planet. he torches nibelheim, gets shanked by cloud, and plummets into the lifestream with jenova's head

this is where things get a little ambiguous. sephiroth's body is flushed into the crater where jenova first landed on the planet and crystallizes, but on the way there he merges fully with jenova and is able to remotely pilot her scattered remnants into taking on his image and tormenting the party. his goals also shift from "inherit the planet" to sucking the planet's lifestream dry and moving on from it completely, which would have been more in line with a parasitic being like jenova. it's never made fully clear which of them is really in charge after sephiroth falls into the lifestream. cloud says that sephiroth's will is steering jenova's power, but sephiroth's mental state is also probably being affected by his new synthesis with her. but it doesn't matter too much - FF7's not shy about its environmental themes, and in the end, the game's final villains are a cosmic predator of the planet itself, and the pinnacle of mankind's hubristic technological advancement and tampering with the natural order

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Eschenique posted:

Also what's the deal with everyone living in a downtrodden slum while Aeris has her own private meadow with a loving mansion? The zone transition may as well be a teleporter to lost city for how it matches the rest of Midgar. Why is she even growing flowers in the church when the house has them all over the place?

Didn't she say that flowers only grew in the church?

He failed his SAN roll, went insane and became a cultist of JENOVA, the Calamity from the Skies.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Did Biggs Wedge and Jessie really go to lifestream hell for the people who died in the reactor bombings?

Seems kinda BS.

quote:

Jessie appears to Aerith within the Lifestream when she thinks of Cloud and Tifa, and Jessie's remnants respond to their names. Jessie causes Aerith to call Biggs and Wedge and the three are happy to hear Cloud joined AVALANCHE officially, and the group is fighting a larger threat, but tell Aerith they are fated to never be absorbed into the Lifestream due to the lives they took while alive.

Jessie asks Aerith to leave them because she must still have a task to fulfill before she is absorbed, and being near them will only taint her with their sinful memories and inflict their fate on her.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Eschenique posted:

Most governments throughout human history were imperialist shitheads. Racist, sexist, homophobic, you name it. There were obviously still good people in them. Kalm is an interesting contrast to Midgar. We leave the techno dystopia and arrive at a small, quaint village that is quite happy with Shinra and Mako Power. Not everybody hates Shinra or knows how bad Shinra is.

As for Sephiroth, this is a serious flaw in FFVII's writing, one of the biggest. I've criticized it for years. Cloud's Past establishes Sephiroth as a broken, deluded man who is clinging to the idea of destined greatness to cope with the facts of his unnatural creation. It's easy to sympathize with Sephiroth if you believe he went through the whole game under the mistaken impression Jenova was a Cetra and also his mother. But as he acknowledges in the Temple of the Ancients, by FFVII he knows full well he is no Cetra and he no longer has any special feelings about them whatsoever. Sephiroth's entire reason for going evil was the belief he was a Cetra and it's a very memorable character moment. But the story just has him drop all that and completely switch motivations with no clear explanation.

The Sephiroth of Nibelheim and the Sephiroth of FFVII are two different characters in a lot of ways. True, he spent five years soaking in magic knowledge and power. He pretty much died. That can change a person, I imagine. But it's just not conveyed well.

T he best theory I've ever heard is that, while Sephiroth controls Jenova, it's rather like if G andalf had controlled the One Ring. The One Ring is a thing of pure evil and can never be utilized for good ends. Jenova is much the same. Whatever Sephiroth's own intentions or ideas, by merely controlling her, by touching his mind and soul to her malicious being, he was infected by her.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 9, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I got the impression that he was mostly Jenova by that point. I mean, he basically did die, and the plot twist was that the Sephiroth of Nibelheim was dead the whole time. He's just a corpse being animated by Jenova.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Of course the people of Kalm are happy. They're all living in a middle class suburb and probably subsisting on the dividends from their Shinra stock. God knows there aren't enough jobs in the area to account for those three-story town houses.

Unless their all doing shifts at the chocobo farm and item shop.

I just realized that Barret's life long regret is abandoning coal power in favor of faux-nuclear power.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Clarste posted:

I got the impression that he was mostly Jenova by that point. I mean, he basically did die, and the plot twist was that the Sephiroth of Nibelheim was dead the whole time. He's just a corpse being animated by Jenova.

Yeah, that’s the impression I got, which may have been confused by poor translation, and a fanbase that drooled over Sephiroth for years. Joke’s on you, Seph’s actually a zombie controlled by an alien parasite.

It kinda sucks that all the Compilation stuff leaned into Cloud and Sephiroth’s personal vendettas against each other, when in reality it was Jenova using the memory of that vendetta to emotionally manipulate Cloud.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, that’s the impression I got, which may have been confused by poor translation, and a fanbase that drooled over Sephiroth for years. Joke’s on you, Seph’s actually a zombie controlled by an alien parasite.

the game states outright that jenova's corpse is being steered by sephiroth's strong will, but it's cloud saying it and he's obviously going to be biased on the matter

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well there might be some subtle stuff about how it inherited his emotions and disgust towards humanity or whatever, but its goal has roughly zero correlation to anything we knew about Sephiroth as a person.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Clarste posted:

Well there might be some subtle stuff about how it inherited his emotions and disgust towards humanity or whatever, but its goal has roughly zero correlation to anything we knew about Sephiroth as a person.

the real answer is that they've become a gestalt entity that has jenova's manipulative skills and appetites along with sephiroth's grudges and raw power

for all his initial posturing that he doesn't recognize cloud, by the time you reach the northern crater it becomes very clear that sephiroth's loving pissed at this bumpkin kid who shish-kebabbed him during his moment of triumph and is making a side project out of hurting him as much as he possibly can

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Eschenique posted:

Of course the people of Kalm are happy. They're all living in a middle class suburb and probably subsisting on the dividends from their Shinra stock. God knows there aren't enough jobs in the area to account for those three-story town houses.

Unless their all doing shifts at the chocobo farm and item shop.

I just realized that Barret's life long regret is abandoning coal power in favor of faux-nuclear power.

And then in the EU after said faux-nuclear power gets dropped like a hot potato he becomes an oil baron!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scrublord Prime posted:

Princess Salsa goes great with Naochos

Princess Salsa and Electra Nachios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2DjdZalO0Q&t=564s

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Oxxidation posted:

the real answer is that they've become a gestalt entity that has jenova's manipulative skills and appetites along with sephiroth's grudges and raw power

for all his initial posturing that he doesn't recognize cloud, by the time you reach the northern crater it becomes very clear that sephiroth's loving pissed at this bumpkin kid who shish-kebabbed him during his moment of triumph and is making a side project out of hurting him as much as he possibly can
Yeah, I've always thought it's mostly this. It's a direct contrast to modern day Cloud being still wholly Cloud, but a lot of Zack. There's a lot of psychic mixing going around when you're dealing with Jenova cells that are always seeking to become one and Lifestream, which is a literal solvent of ideas.

Being Lifestream mixed with Jenovas head is enough for him to realize he's just a powerful, Jenova-juiced dude and also that he can also just vacuum up a worldwide amount of mako at the North Crater to the point of turning into the next Jenova.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

How does Sephiroth have fans? He was never cool.

He starts out lovely, confused and petty and it only gets worse from there.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
He has fans partly because he's insanely strong for the brief segment he's in your party and has a sweet sword.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

He has lightning 3 connected to an all materia. Guy is probably pay2win at best. Shinra must be paying him in ethers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Sephiroth, kind of like Cloud before him, remains popular because up until that point, a lot of kids and teens in the US hadn't really played anything that had characters like them.

It seems like mudding the waters now because there's so many pretty anime boys with giant swords these days, but it was FFVII that invented a lot of those tropes, or at least brought them into mainstream consciousness.

Though a lot of Cloud imitators seemed to fail to grasp what truly made Cloud special and interesting, including Square themselves in later years.