Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Saw Richard Stanley's Color Out of Space last weekend and absolutely loved it. It felt like a classic Stuart Gordon film, right down to Cage basically playing Jeffrey Combs at times. Great goopy practical special effects (and some truly amazing CG at the end), funny without being ironic and detached, pretty light on plot but just a whole lot of fun. Highly recommended when it gets its wide release in January.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

So this might be a bit of an odd request, but I just saw Sleepaway Camp for the first time, and it was bar none, one of the most hilarious movies I think I've ever seen. I can't remember the last time I had that much fun laughing at a movie. The ridiculous dialog, the way the aunt character chews the scenery, the bizarre wardrobe choices, the way no one quite behaves like a real person, it's all so wonderfully ridiculous.

Are there any other campy horror movies that exist in a similar vein? I like stuff like Killer Clowns from Outer Space too, but that had a sense of self-awareness, I'm looking for more things that were made in earnest.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I just realized there's a 95 minute and 165 minute cut of Martin. Is there a preferred version? I can't imagine it's even the same movie with that length change. How easy/hard is it to obtain each version?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

So far as I'm aware no copies of the 165 minute cut are known to exist.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

So this might be a bit of an odd request, but I just saw Sleepaway Camp for the first time, and it was bar none, one of the most hilarious movies I think I've ever seen. I can't remember the last time I had that much fun laughing at a movie. The ridiculous dialog, the way the aunt character chews the scenery, the bizarre wardrobe choices, the way no one quite behaves like a real person, it's all so wonderfully ridiculous.

Are there any other campy horror movies that exist in a similar vein? I like stuff like Killer Clowns from Outer Space too, but that had a sense of self-awareness, I'm looking for more things that were made in earnest.
On the off chance you haven’t seen Troll 2 jump all over that.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

david_a posted:

On the off chance you haven’t seen Troll 2 jump all over that.

Troll 2 is incredible. It was actually how I found sleepaway camp, was it was one of the movies recommended to me because I enjoyed it so much. I've also seen Best Worst Movie because of it, which was great in it's own right.

There's something so great about earnest, shlocky horror, I can't get enough of.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
On the VVitch and yesterdays goat talk. I have a chest tattoo of my wife, pin up style, riding a bucking goat, and holding a bottle of liquor. It makes my skin my most valuable possession. She really loves goats.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gejimayu posted:

Horror Thread: It makes my skin my most valuable possession.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Gejimayu posted:

On the VVitch and yesterdays goat talk. I have a chest tattoo of my wife, pin up style, riding a bucking goat, and holding a bottle of liquor. It makes my skin my most valuable possession. She really loves goats.

First of all, that does indeed sound like a kickass tattoo.

Second, does any one have any good snow/cold related horror movies? It's starting to get chilly where I live and it's got me in the mood to watch something scary and cold. Not Krampus though, because even though I love that movie and it's one of the best snowy horrors of all time I always save my annual rewatch of it for December.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Second, does any one have any good snow/cold related horror movies? It's starting to get chilly where I live and it's got me in the mood to watch something scary and cold. Not Krampus though, because even though I love that movie and it's one of the best snowy horrors of all time I always save my annual rewatch of it for December.

THE THING

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Let the Right One In and it's American remake are hella snowy. The Snowtown Murders isn't, but it's very cold and uncomfortable to watch. The Grey is all about dying in the snow.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Shining is really good for snuggling in as is Misery.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The opening scene of A Serious Man

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Gonna revise my previous statement and say "I've seen all of Rob Zombie's live action movies" and I'm good with that.

I was pretty impressed with how subdued Lords of Salem was, for what it was. I'm used to Zombie being balls to the wall technicolor sex and violence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Gonna revise my previous statement and say "I've seen all of Rob Zombie's live action movies" and I'm good with that.

I was pretty impressed with how subdued Lords of Salem was, for what it was. I'm used to Zombie being balls to the wall technicolor sex and violence.

I had high hopes after Lords of Salem that Zombie was entering a new phase of his career where we'd see him explore different types of horror but then he immediately took a step backwards with 31 and after that he made a Firefly sequel. I'm still a huge fan but I thought he was on the cusp of becoming one of the all-time great horror directors and I'm not sure his career is on that trajectory anymore. Part of it is that movies just aren't where his money is made, it's unfortunately never been more than a hobby and then he has to go off and tour with his band to have the income he's accustomed to.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Definitelty not the best snow horror, but Hagazussa is a very moody vvitch style movie that features both snow and Krampus in some form or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_last886efA

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The thread regularly hypes the following for these:

-Death Spa
-Chopping Mall
-TerrorVision
-Spookies
-Blood Freak

-The Changeling
-Climax
-The Fog
-Stephen King's Storm of the Century
-Frozen (2010 Adam Green flick)
-Horror Express
-Misery
-Wind Chill

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 9, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Watch the Kill Count vid on this - James A Janisse points out some hilarious poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0ZpAHKfHHE

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Night of the Demons is also great in that “no one can deliver a line naturally” way.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Ravenous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's been like a week since Kvlt! has posted. Kinda worried.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna write up later, but Hair segment of Bodybags had me rolling laughing and John Carpenter was channeling some pro John Waters poo poo in the morgue segments

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Lost in the bong

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

If you’re looking for stilted line delivery, nonsensical plot developments and dead-serious earnestness, you should be watching more Italian stuff:

Demons
Contamination
City of the Living Dead
Nightmare City
Burial Ground

And a billion others I’m forgetting.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I sent him a PM to make sure he's okay.

Splint Chesthair posted:

If you’re looking for stilted line delivery, nonsensical plot developments and dead-serious earnestness, you should be watching more Italian stuff:

Demons
Contamination
City of the Living Dead
Nightmare City
Burial Ground

And a billion others I’m forgetting.

Demons doesn't need irony to be enjoyed, though. It's just straight up awesome from start to finish.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Demons doesn't need irony to be enjoyed, though. It's just straight up awesome from start to finish.

Absolutely, but for someone who hasn’t done a deep dive into horror it’s going to feel like a whole different world.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Esme posted:

Ravenous.

One of my all-time favorite movie watching experiences was screening Ravenous in the middle of a deep Ohio winter.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

These are all awesome suggestions, thanks goons. I've had other people tell me "The Burning" is in a similar vein to Sleepaway Camp in terms of shlock. Is that worth a view as well?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

These are all awesome suggestions, thanks goons. I've had other people tell me "The Burning" is in a similar vein to Sleepaway Camp in terms of shlock. Is that worth a view as well?

I wasn't very impressed by the Burning, but there's a few good sequences in it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Eh, not really. It feels more like a Friday the 13th film than Sleepaway Camp. There's still some crazy stuff in it, like a young lecherous Jason Alexander, lots of toxic masculinity, the sorta main character is a creep. Tom Savini special effects, too.

It's definitely worth a view, though. I think it's a great slasher.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea The Burning is just a really well made slasher with engaging characters that are easy to root for, but it's fairly traditional.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If you’ve got someone else’s cable login info, AMC has Trick r’ Treat streaming. Really wanted to show this to people but didn’t yet want to throw down $30 for the Blu Ray.

EDIT: Ugggggh strike that, all the movies are edited for TV.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 9, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Kvlt! is alive

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

There's always Jack Frost

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Had no clue there were sequels, actually!

Yeah like three or four. First one is decent,never did the rest

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Kvlt! is alive

Well that's good. He must be punishing us for cyber bullying him. Regardless, I will not inquire any further.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Kvlt! Has Risen from the Grave (Obviously!)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Burning is notable for the main character either being the biggest moron in the history of mankind or a cruel rear end in a top hat (or both).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The Burning is notable for the main character either being the biggest moron in the history of mankind or a cruel rear end in a top hat (or both).

It is also notable for how it helped Weinstein break into the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And of course you can't forget the all time classic Frostbiter Wrath of the Wendigo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDokgX3FvJk