Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

When you try to queue up with a historic deck you're in historic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Huh, well that's not made very clear in the client.

Maybe I'll give it a try tonight.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I honestly would just ignore historic until they roll out the events for it. Unless you just really want to play with the old cards it's pretty pointless at the moment.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Huxley posted:

Huh, well that's not made very clear in the client.

Maybe I'll give it a try tonight.

Yeah it's weird. I would say they are deathly afraid of long queues caused by too many game modes but this still splits the queue. The way they did it shows specifically that they are also very afraid of offering players too many options and/or they don't want to scare off the super casuals who all they do is open the game and click play. People who would get confused and quit before they ever used their eyes and clicked a "play historic" button or God forbid built a standard legal deck.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lagomorphic posted:

I honestly would just ignore historic until they roll out the events for it. Unless you just really want to play with the old cards it's pretty pointless at the moment.

I kind of want to mess around with adding new cards to mono red, but if it's this hidden and there's no really point to it, most likely the only people playing will be folks who maybe don't even realize they're queueing into it. So not the best testing.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've determined Simic Flash is the most annoying deck to ever be created because it follows my two simple rules of annoying loving decks:

1. Counterspells
2. People playing cards and tanking on your turn.

I need deck ideas to crush this that aren't Golos because frankly I'm bored of playing it at this point. I'm thinking some sort of super friends deck between Dovin and Teferi.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Huxley posted:

I kind of want to mess around with adding new cards to mono red, but if it's this hidden and there's no really point to it, most likely the only people playing will be folks who maybe don't even realize they're queueing into it. So not the best testing.

Yeah if you do play historic right now it doesn't count wins for the daily 15 or the weekly 15 wins. So it's pretty much just for fun at this point and it doesn't seem super fun to me.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Huxley posted:

Its almost as if they don't want people playing historic or something :thunk:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd like to say that I quit playing HS the day after the beta opened not because I was bored with it but as pre-emptive solidarity with HK protestors

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Doltos posted:

I've determined Simic Flash is the most annoying deck to ever be created because it follows my two simple rules of annoying loving decks:

1. Counterspells
2. People playing cards and tanking on your turn.

I need deck ideas to crush this that aren't Golos because frankly I'm bored of playing it at this point. I'm thinking some sort of super friends deck between Dovin and Teferi.

I find midrange decks tend to be okay if you're throwing out threat after threat to basically run them out of counters and once something sticks, they run out of gas. Doubly so if that something is Tef. Losing dive down and curiosity helped with a lot of the bullshit.

But basically don't play decks that rely on a big play like Manse Danse. Throwing hero, Oko, Teferi, questing beast, wicked wolf turn after turn though...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Argas posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see how I could've altered the deck to play better but I have no idea how it's supposed to be a favorable matchup. Obviously luck is a factor but they play a few wishes and other spells to fish for the right answer but even without that, they were able to keep wiping my board and I just didn't have anything with haste to deal with it.

get multiple fields in play and suddenly they need to have a sweeper for every land drop you make. they cant kill you quickly and you run them out of sweepers before they can kill you with dance

the matchup is like 90% - 10% in favor of golos, you're probably just running into some bad variance. bring in some veil of summers and negates/vetos from your sideboard

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Golgari Knights combo still has a winning ratio for me but I haven't had the care to grind past Gold this season so maybe it falls apart later

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its almost as if they don't want people playing historic or something :thunk:

They don't want them playing historic now. It's not a coincidence that the historic push is scheduled for the part of the cycle where everyone's bored of standard are just waiting for the next set.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Argas posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see how I could've altered the deck to play better but I have no idea how it's supposed to be a favorable matchup. Obviously luck is a factor but they play a few wishes and other spells to fish for the right answer but even without that, they were able to keep wiping my board and I just didn't have anything with haste to deal with it.
I think you should be running cavalier of flame or kenrith or fae in golos anyways which should help.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

little munchkin posted:

get multiple fields in play and suddenly they need to have a sweeper for every land drop you make. they cant kill you quickly and you run them out of sweepers before they can kill you with dance

the matchup is like 90% - 10% in favor of golos, you're probably just running into some bad variance. bring in some veil of summers and negates/vetos from your sideboard

Fortunately/unfortunately it was the event. I don't have the actual wildcards or really the desire to play Golos Fields normally.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just lost a Dance mirror where I had successfully Ego’d all their Dances. Chipped away by knights and loving main deck Narset that I can only see being in their for the Bo1 mirror. Fee like drowning in my tub lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
instead, think of what you can do to make your deck better in the future against that

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe there's a deck that mains Ego. Everyone here was so sure that card was pointless last rotation.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
oh poo poo

https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1182022924863246336

Significance of this timing is that it's right after the Mythic Championship which is Standard. I can't imagine it has to do with Modern but it's possibly both?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, rip to Arboreal Grazer

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WotC getting my hopes up

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Come onnnnn Ephemerate and Astrolabe bans in Pauper.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

hope they go straight for astrolabe, tron and delver in pauper. Ban all the top decks! Also they're totally going to ban Circuitous Route.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/1182027184141164546

lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'd be totally fine with being wrong about a Field (or hell Golos) ban.

https://mobile.twitter.com/armlx/status/1182023833357864960

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Good thing I wound up making that Gruul deck last night instead of crafting Golos to update my old Scapeshift deck. Ty Bust Rodd

Because I assume if they ban Field of the Dead there's no way they'd refund Golos as well

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Funkdreamer posted:

Good thing I wound up making that Gruul deck last night instead of crafting Golos to update my old Scapeshift deck. Ty Bust Rodd

Because I assume if they ban Field of the Dead there's no way they'd refund Golos as well

When they ban, you get WCs refunded and get to keep the cards as well

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I'm working on the assumption that Golos remains unbanned, but no longer has a home in any deck, so it would be 4 rare wildcards down the drain

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Watch them ban Golos instead for some dumb-poo poo reason (I'd actually be down for that since I have 2 Golos from opening packs).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Funkdreamer posted:

I'm working on the assumption that Golos remains unbanned, but no longer has a home in any deck, so it would be 4 rare wildcards down the drain

Ah. Well, you must have faith in Ali.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If they didn't plan any cards that interact with field next set (which imo is likely given that castles dont exactly demand an answer like ix fliplands) they can feel pretty ok about banning it sooner rather than later.

They successfully killed every M20 deck after rotation besides field, golos field was something that I dont think they expected or had a plan for.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 9, 2019

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
e;fb

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

No Wave posted:

They successfully killed every M20 deck after rotation besides field, golos field was something that I dont think they expected or had a plan for.

Golos and Field are the same set. A powerful land + a powerful land tutor. They should have seen it coming.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Man I can't wait to see what kind of dumpster fire the MC decklist must be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems like pretty much every tutor card and mana-cheat card ever printed ends up being way overpowered but here we are

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Reality Sinner posted:

Golos and Field are the same set. A powerful land + a powerful land tutor. They should have seen it coming.
I think they assumed that the wonky manabase would keep Fields in check. I mean, most of the lands either come in tapped (conditionally) or shock you. They probably expected aggro decks to feast on them and keep them in check.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

before we go overboard keep in mind this deck was balanced last set. Aggro being especially weak is more the culprit than field is (though aggro being weak is absolutely something they knew was coming)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 9, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

i unironically like that pinochio grows up into a woman in this set. i support his decisions. he doesn't have to be a real boy if he doesn't want to.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Amulet of Safekeeping rotated out in m19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

No Wave posted:

before we go overboard keep in mind this deck was balanced last set. Aggro being especially weak is more the culprit than field is (though aggro being weak is absolutely something they knew was coming)

Yeah. Field needs to go but it would be balanced if something like gruul, rdw, white weenie, vamps, etc was legal