Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Build and Ex-Aid had a myriad of joint-part episodes (Mostly two parters, though Build had two separate three-parter episodes and the end-game is completely serial) between the both of them. So did Ghost and Drive.
I'd also just like to note people were similarly excited about Ghost foregoing two-parters (Some people even being concerned with how rushed and over-packed the episodes felt) in most of the first quarter, especially after Drive had quite a few all the way up to end-game, meaning this exact same scenario has happened before, just with Ghost and Drive instead of Zero-One and Zi-O.

My point here is wait until the end of Q1 (Some time around New Years) before we start celebrating the death of two-parters. Recent Rider shows tend to have mostly episodic first quarters to help focus on toy marketing before becoming more serial or using two-parters so as to mitigate the number of beat-for-beat entirely new plot threads they have to work on. The fact Yuya Takahashi now has secondary writers on-board this time means he's not gonna try and burn himself out like he did when he wrote nearly everything pertaining to Ex-Aid, so more two-parters will likely be seen once Takahashi starts to feel like he's burning out or wants to focus on one of the Movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Zetsuboujinrai just keep a butt in their lair? there's just a mannequin rear end right there next to the Orb Light?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sure looks like it :lol:
E: Like, if it were just thrown into a corner or something that'd be one thing, but that thing is prominently placed on the shelf, cheeks out to the only source of light in the room.
:butt:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 6, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mimir posted:

Zetsuboujinrai just keep a butt in their lair? there's just a mannequin rear end right there next to the Orb Light?

They just want to be prepared, you never know when you need a but.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fuwa's actor put out a video with english captions!
e: only partial but still

https://youtu.be/Ap2NpFaSjhg

https://twitter.com/chaosrecipe/status/1180838883392512000?s=19

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

God, Zero-One keeps being great every week, I love this show.

I didn't expect I'd be crying for Jin yet here we are. He's been manipulated this entire time, knows little to nothing about the world, and when he finally managed to properly take a step on his own, he gets brainwashed by the one person he trusted and cared for.

The whole thing with the AI daughter didn't hit me nearly as hard. If anything, I can't agree with Aruto, what dad there is doing is horribly unhealthy, and the voice solution isn't better. He's so obsessed with his daughter that passed away that he can't move forward, and those solutions only keep his eyes stuck firmly in the past.

Also Lightning Hornet is cool as hell.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Craptacular! posted:

Zi-O just did a lot of them.

Zi-O did a lot of things that shouldn’t be repeated.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I maintain Zi-O would have been fine if they hadn't flubbed the ending

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
A former member of GenmCorp subs (Crt) just released a manifesto about why they left, and they cover a few details that seem to indicate the group is about as bad as a lot of hearsay rumors were claiming, including the head of the group harassing them for helping out with other subgroups.
https://pastebin.com/TvxjPUsq
I'm not one for e-drama, but it might serve as good suggestion to avoid their subs. It honestly gives me some Kingranger vibes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Man, why the hell would you be jockeying for fansub clout, let alone relatively niche fansub clout in loving 2019? Obviously I dunno what anyone has to put up with behind the scenes, but the toku sub community always came across pretty chill to me after 2009 or so when TVN wasn't king poo poo anymore and people bouncing around and helping each other out feels like a norm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, considering we have loving five groups working on Zero-One for some reason....

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

Well, considering we have loving five groups working on Zero-One for some reason....

Is that a bad thing? It's not like it's a competition or you need some special permit to do it. Let people have their fun.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
But someone is doing it wroooong

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is that a bad thing? It's not like it's a competition or you need some special permit to do it. Let people have their fun.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

But someone is doing it wroooong

No one was saying they were just that its dumb to sub war between groups and ostracize people in you translation team cause they did qa for another sub group lol. No need to get mad cause people once told you "Hey those subbers just get poo poo wrong" before.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 7, 2019

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I just watch whatever gets uploaded to kissanime first hth

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm just glad fansub drama is on forums and not at the end of a release as they sometimes did during the VHS days

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm just glad fansub drama is on forums and not at the end of a release as they sometimes did during the VHS days

God I miss those days

So many miserable nerds, so much unwarranted cussing and inaccurate bullshit

it was great

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Zero1 needs it because those jokes are brutal.

I figured GEMN was due for a meltdown when they started doing a bunch of back to back releases. Such are the follies of unpaid labor.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fun thing: The voice actress performing for Tsurugi in the beginning was a cameo by Mariya Ise!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Was wondering what the holdup was for GenmCorp Taiga subs, they're only up to Ep 11 when 14 is already out..

No new voice dramas either..

It's possible to have YouTube autotranslate the Chinese subs, but the English is hilariously broken the way you'd expect translations of translations to work out..

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zVaOsxaDX4

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
More Gridman news!
The official SSSS.Gridman twitter confirmed more related projects will be arriving next year alongside the stage show project.
https://twitter.com/SSSS_GRIDMAN/status/1180881470702772225
In addition, Uchusen magazine has announced the October 16th issue will have an SSSS.Gridman cover based on an older Uchusen cover also featuring the titular denkou choujin.
https://twitter.com/sonoko_uchusen/status/1181073493439311872
And alongside that, they mentioned a pinup featuring a character with a particularly recognizable pair of head-wings. I wonder if this is all related.
https://twitter.com/sonoko_uchusen/status/1181075028911087617

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

I didn't expect I'd be crying for Jin yet here we are. He's been manipulated this entire time, knows little to nothing about the world, and when he finally managed to properly take a step on his own, he gets brainwashed by the one person he trusted and cared for.

The whole thing with the AI daughter didn't hit me nearly as hard. If anything, I can't agree with Aruto, what dad there is doing is horribly unhealthy, and the voice solution isn't better. He's so obsessed with his daughter that passed away that he can't move forward, and those solutions only keep his eyes stuck firmly in the past.

Also Lightning Hornet is cool as hell.

Need some help understanding this one:

Was it illegal for a Humagear to be based on a person?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Trogglodyte posted:

More Gridman news!
The official SSSS.Gridman twitter confirmed more related projects will be arriving next year alongside the stage show project.
https://twitter.com/SSSS_GRIDMAN/status/1180881470702772225
In addition, Uchusen magazine has announced the October 16th issue will have an SSSS.Gridman cover based on an older Uchusen cover also featuring the titular denkou choujin.
https://twitter.com/sonoko_uchusen/status/1181073493439311872
And alongside that, they mentioned a pinup featuring a character with a particularly recognizable pair of head-wings. I wonder if this is all related.
https://twitter.com/sonoko_uchusen/status/1181075028911087617

Have they said anything about what these new projects might be (I think they heard them talk about a novel series a while back at least)?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Failson posted:

Need some help understanding this one:

Was it illegal for a Humagear to be based on a person?

Specifically, it's illegal for a humagear to share the appearance of a person without their consent.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

Specifically, it's illegal for a humagear to share the appearance of a person without their consent.

Correct, which honestly, it's pretty good world-building. One of my first thoughts with the HumaGears was exactly how big of a danger there'd be of that, so I'm glad the writer actually thought of it (since I doubt my other fear of a HumaGear society, how they'd easily take over every job avaliable, will be answered considering how the series defends that as a good thing)

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Larryb posted:

Have they said anything about what these new projects might be?
The full set of new projects have already been confirmed beforehand for 2020:
-A stage play series (Tsubu loves these) titled SSSS.GRIDMAN SHOW 02. While details aren't known entirely, we do know that aside from Gridman (Who already had a live suit to promote the show), Tsubu also made new suits for Alexis Kerib, Anti, and Nanashi B which were shown off during the play's announcement.
-A side-story novel titled SSSS.Gridman ~Mō Hitori no Kami-sama (Another God) about another kaiju attack in Tsutsujidai brought upon by "Another God"
-A direct manga adaptation of the show (likely will offer a bit more content and greater insight on the setting due to not having to fight against budget/episode constraints) tentatively called Comicalize SSSS.Gridman
-A gag/SoL manga series called "Shinseiki Chūgakusei Nikki" (New Century Middle Schoole Diaries), focused on the Assist Weapons
-A manga centered around Caliber specifically called Hime to Samurai (Princess and Samurai)
-A Sengoku-themed manga focused on Gridman called aptly "Sengoku Gridman"
-An untitled possibly non-gag/SoL manga centered around the Assist Weapons being transported into a world where they have to act as butlers
-An untitled manga focused on Akane
There's obviously still room for more, given just how wide they're casting the net with Gridman as a property.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So finished my second watch of Faiz last night, and my thoughts: it's still really good. I'd definitely rank it near the top of the Heisei series. Some more detail on how I feel about it:

- Takumi is very different from almost every other Rider in the franchise. He's pretty much the only one that (at first) wants nothing to do with any of the monster stuff going on, and actively tries to ditch Mari and the Faiz gear repeatedly. The only other Rider I can think of that didn't completely embrace their role (or at least accept it as a necessary thing even if they personally didn't like it) was Den-O, and even then Ryotaro wasn't so much "gently caress this I want nothing to do with it" as he was "Oh god I'm scared I'm going to die help me," and he more or less embraced it after Momo started fighting for him. Through all of it, it's nice to watch Takumi grow as a person and accept who and what he is.

- The show did a good job of not having standard "all the monsters are evil" adversaries. There's a lot of Orphnoch that just want to live quietly as humans. While Rider has the occasional "This monster is actually not evil" episodes and even main characters (Poppy was a not evil Bugster), Faiz is really the only one that shows large numbers of them just wanting to mind their own business and not attack anyone.

- Even though the show (sort of) ends on a cliffhanger I feel more positive about it this time. Given what the Orphnoch actually are and what they're supposed to mean for the future, having the Orphnoch King not actually be defeated, but just recovering, always having the potential to bring humans to the next stage of evolution feels right.

- The Faiz suits are still among the best in the franchise I feel, just really cool looking all around. It was also surprising that even though this was obviously a show to sell toys, and being the first one (?) to really introduce a whole shitload of accessories and extra belts, that it felt less toyetic than later series. I feel like this is probably because the show didn't spam new forms or weapons all that much, unlike most Neo Heisei series where once the ultimate form gets introduced you're going to see it constantly. Faiz only used Accel Form a handful of times, and unless I'm misremembering Blaster, his ultimate form, only gets used three times including its introduction.

Though of course there were the downsides:

- It's an Inoue series so nobody ever talks to each other which is really frustrating. The sheer amount of situations that could have easily been resolved if characters just used words was way too high, especially when a character has every reason to explain a situation but just goes "It doesn't matter" or "Whatever."

- Mihara. Just...Mihara. Completely and utterly useless. This would probably be less annoying to me if it wasn't for how the Delta gear gets introduced in the series. "Hey what if for the Delta user they're a super competent and badass woman who strikes fear into the enemy?" "Great! Except can you kill her off two episodes after she's introduced, have the bad guys use it, and then just give it to a whiny sadsack who gets jobbed for the rest of the series?"

- It also was bizarre how despite Kusaka was an unrepentant shitheel at every turn, did nothing but cause tension and act like a complete rear end in a top hat to everyone, but for some reason everyone treated him as a valued and trusted friend? At least at first there was the excuse Kusaka was pretending to be a good guy and only showed his rear end in a top hat side in secret, mostly just to Takumi and Kiba, but eventually he just openly becomes a complete fuckwad and still everyone acts like he's such a nice guy.

- As far as some of the ending stuff goes I wonder if Teruo's true identity being revealed so late was a purposeful attempt to sidestep the question of "Is it okay to kill this kid because we know he's going to become a villain if we let him live." We have Takumi trying to attack Teruo and hesitating and that's mostly it. When Kaido sees Teruo is the King he just kind of goes "whatever" and walks off despite him very clearly wanting to be a big brother/father type figure to Teruo throughout the series. This revelation should have affected Kaido a lot more than it did. Likewise, Rina and Mihara show up and Mihara's first instinct is "Welp gotta kill this kid" with no real objection from Rina or even himself, considering they worked at the orphanage where Teruo stayed, though granted Mihara seemed more of Kusaka's mindset of "All Orphnoch must die." Still, to have a character who this should be deeply affected by this and torn by his desire to protect this kid, but also humanity as a whole, just blow it off with a "who cares," and for nobody else to really care at all besides "Orphnoch King defeat him!" seems a bit lazy. Again, kids' show, no obligation to tackle a moral dilemma like that, but if you're going to ignore the implications of the situation you've created, why not just do it differently?

Okay, that's enough words about Faiz for a while.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I finally saw this episode yesterday and yeah, I agree. I understand Aruto has a different point of view based on his childhood, but it's still a bad solution.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I'd consider Faiz's lack of being toyetic to in fact be a fairly major flaw, Faiz often kinda feels like a series that's embarrassed to be a Toku series, a lot of which definitely feels like it comes right from Inoue who is almost definitely embarrassed to have worked on this kind of stuff considering that every time he gets a chance to do a novel related to one of his Toku projects he ends up making an edgy pile of poo poo

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'd consider Faiz's lack of being toyetic to in fact be a fairly major flaw, Faiz often kinda feels like a series that's embarrassed to be a Toku series, a lot of which definitely feels like it comes right from Inoue who is almost definitely embarrassed to have worked on this kind of stuff considering that every time he gets a chance to do a novel related to one of his Toku projects he ends up making an edgy pile of poo poo

Rape is not something that should ever be connected to official Kamen Rider stuff, especially the section of Kamen Rider that's explicitly aimed at kids

Inoue doesn't give a poo poo

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Build went just close enough to rape without actually calling it rape with that Ryuga DNA subplot.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

drrockso20 posted:

Faiz often kinda feels like a series that's embarrassed to be a Toku series

Faiz is vastly different from every other Rider series in that it's mostly a drama, with some Kamen Rider stuff sprinkled in (for the first 2/3 of the show anyway, the Rider stuff takes a much more prominent role later on). I think the only ones that really come close to it are maybe early episodes of Agito, and the good half of Hibiki. It works for me, though I understand where you're coming from. It's definitely a Rider show that couldn't exist in the franchise's current form. I like the simplicity of it though at least as far as the toy side. I like Zero One a lot but it's doing something that actually kind of annoys me, which is that the base form ends up kind of not mattering at all in the show. Every episode they introduce a new form and it's all about using every form except the base one. The base form only exists to transform into and get beaten until the MC transforms into some other form which wins.

This kinda started with Den-O since Ryotaro had four different forms (I guess Plat Form is technically the base but it barely existed) and got three more later on, and Kiva had a bunch of different forms (most of which were only used in a single episode) until it became The Emperor Show. Neo Heisei is where it leaned heavily into Riders having as many different forms in the first ten episodes as most Heisei Riders got in their entire series and this becoming the standard.

Again, I get it. It exists to sell toys, and I accept that. I just feel like it would be nice for the base form to exist outside of "the form he uses until he transforms into some other better form from the six or seven he has lying around."

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Craptacular! posted:

Build went just close enough to rape without actually calling it rape with that Ryuga DNA subplot.
The Rogue web series (Which admittedly is targeted at an older audience) actually has implied prison rape. They basically just tried to make as many reasons as possible for Gentoku to be broken down to his lowest point before he finally got his drat belt.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It was pretty funny in the most recent Zero One where Aruto goes to transform and pulls out Flying Falcon. I was surprised because it's pretty rare for a Rider to not start the fight in his base form. But then the bat robot grabs it and no, he only pulled out Flying Falcon so it could get stolen, of course he's going to start the fight in Rising Hopper

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think Zero One does decently by that since all of his form changes are additions that cause the Hopper armor to shift and fit with attachments rather than get entirely replaced. In the ep where he does go straight to Falcon, both the Falcon and Hopper drones appear because of that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Trogglodyte posted:

The Rogue web series (Which admittedly is targeted at an older audience) actually has implied prison rape. They basically just tried to make as many reasons as possible for Gentoku to be broken down to his lowest point before he finally got his drat belt.

I watched that episode a few weeks ago. It was typical Yakuza stuff combined with a piss joke.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Correct, which honestly, it's pretty good world-building. One of my first thoughts with the HumaGears was exactly how big of a danger there'd be of that, so I'm glad the writer actually thought of it (since I doubt my other fear of a HumaGear society, how they'd easily take over every job avaliable, will be answered considering how the series defends that as a good thing)

Have to concur with this, and I'm jazzed for the next episode.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1182116749967269889?s=20

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sento is Virgil
Banjo is Felix