Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I have to go to an all afternoon workshop now, but am desperate to keep watching...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I missed the first half due to a meeting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bonus Point try there coming from broken play which is quite nice for Wales.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Typical I get to the pub just as Wales start to pull away.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're all mostly dead, they're going to get fully murdered in the next game.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys
Thank God it's Uruguay next, so they can wrap up the key players in cotton wool. At this rate it might be a good idea to fly out some backup players so they are over the jet lag in case they need to be called up.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Welsh 2015 plan of having all their players injured by the QF still in full effect.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Thank god that's over, my heart couldn't take any more. I just hope we didn't sacrifice the health of some of our players to scrape that win and cost us an important match.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Did it, so glad Wales got the BP.

Fiji are a stupidly talented side.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Everyone: Wales should play a tight game and not kick the ball to Fiji.

Wales: I heard 'kick the ball to Fiji'

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Another hypothetical regarding the weather.

https://twitter.com/FreemanrugbyJPN/status/1181926395762491392

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

harperdc posted:

if OK play at Yokohama, if not behind closed doors at Tokyo

Spent a few moments trying to imagine what it's actually like to see a professional rugby player played in an empty stadium, but then I remembered all those 12 matches at I went to at Murrayfield.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
God I’d love to see a game at Chichibunomiya

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s so weird that they didn’t put at least one game at Chichibu. It’s the national stadium, it’s in the heart of Tokyo...they probably wanted to spread the love to the rest of the country, and really there’s no need to keep a match from Kyushu or from Kamaishi just to put one there.

More likely is using Tokyo Stadium since it’s already all dressed up for the tourney.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Yeah, it is a bit weird. I wonder if part of is that Chichibu at 27,000 capacity is way smaller than Tokyo (50,000) and Yokohama (72,000), but then again there's much smaller venues with RWC games in other parts of the country. I also wonder if they wanted to use Tokyo and Yokohama as much as they could as 'dry runs' of sorts to help prepare for the Olympics next year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yeah, it is a bit weird. I wonder if part of is that Chichibu at 27,000 capacity is way smaller than Tokyo (50,000) and Yokohama (72,000), but then again there's much smaller venues with RWC games in other parts of the country. I also wonder if they wanted to use Tokyo and Yokohama as much as they could as 'dry runs' of sorts to help prepare for the Olympics next year.

Nah. Both stadiums were built a while back, and Yokohama already hosted a FIFA World Cup final. It’s more about spreading things beyond Tokyo.

Originally the stadium in Tokyo was supposed to be the New National Stadium being built for the Olympics, but construction timelines were too tight for that. Still having finishing touches being added right now. They shifted the matches to Ajinomoto (Tokyo) Stadium instead.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sounds like England France has been called off already.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Radio New Zealand reporting AB’s - Italy, England - France and Japan - Scotland as all very likely to be cancelled.

Hopefully this isn’t the case. It doesn’t appear change the finishing order in Pools B & C but it really robs us of an exciting clash in Pool A.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Really surprises me that they don't have a backup of playing the games in an empty stadium in South japan or something. Feels like that would be preferable to canceling outright. Yes there are logistics involved but not that much compared to the problem canceling causes

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Test matches on Sunday are all going ahead. Saturday's tests in the Tokyo, Yokohama and Oita areas are all cancelled. That means All Blacks v. Italy and England v. France are off. Japan v. Scotland is still going ahead as planned, as well as Ireland v. Samoa and Australia v. Georgia.

None of the cancelled tests will have any bearing on the final standings of the pool stages.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Official Details

quote:

TOKYO, 10 Oct - After extensive evaluation, World Rugby and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee have announced an update regarding the predicted impact of Typhoon Hagibis on this weekend’s Rugby World Cup 2019 pool matches. This includes the decision to cancel matches on safety grounds.

Based on the latest detailed information from the tournament’s independent weather experts, Hagibis is predicted to be the biggest typhoon of the 2019 season and is highly likely to cause considerable disruption in the Tokyo, Yokohama and City of Toyota areas throughout Saturday, including likely public transport shutdown or disruption.

As a result, World Rugby and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee have taken the difficult, but right decision to cancel matches in the affected areas on safety grounds. The impacted teams have been informed and are understanding. For matches that do not go ahead as scheduled, two points will be awarded to each team in line with tournament rules.

It is an exceptional, complex and rapidly evolving situation and team and public safety is the number one priority. This has been central in all decision-making in partnership with the tournament’s weather information experts, host cities, venues and teams.

Based on the latest detailed weather information, the following update is provided:

Friday, 11 October

Pool D match between Australia and Georgia in Shizuoka at 19:15 JST to be played as scheduled
Saturday, 12 October

Pool A match between Ireland and Samoa in Fukuoka at 19:45 JST to be played as scheduled
Pool B match between New Zealand and Italy to be cancelled
Pool C match between England and France to be cancelled

The decision to cancel matches has not been taken lightly and has been made in the best interests of public, team, tournament personnel and volunteer safety, based on expert advice and detailed weather information. While we have extensively explored all options, public and team safety was our utmost priority as well as ensuring a consistent, fair and equitable outcome for all teams. All fans with tickets for a cancelled match will receive a full refund for the face value of their match tickets.

Sunday, 13 October

Every effort is being made to ensure Sunday’s matches will be played as scheduled. A thorough assessment of venues will take place after the typhoon has passed before a final decision is made on Sunday morning.
Based on the advice of government authorities and experts, World Rugby and the Japan Rugby 2019 Organising Committee are advising fans in the Tokyo, Yokohama and City of Toyota areas to stay indoors on Saturday, not to travel and to keep monitoring the official Rugby World Cup 2019 digital and social channels, including the RWC 2019 Fan Information Twitter handle @Japan2019_ENG for regular updates.

New Zealand-Italy and England-France canceled, Japan-Scotland TBD Sunday morning.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Guess it's good we get more rest and no chance of our player's spines being broken by two props.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
These cancellations make a mockery of the world cup. Of course NZ were going to hammer Italy but from a technical point of view this was a critical group deciding match. Might as well just hand the top 8 teams a place in the quarters and not have a group stage with this attitude.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Flayer posted:

These cancellations make a mockery of the world cup. Of course NZ were going to hammer Italy but from a technical point of view this was a critical group deciding match. Might as well just hand the top 8 teams a place in the quarters and not have a group stage with this attitude.

They made rules, they’re following them. If France-England had a place on the line it’d be unfortunate, too. Luckily it’s a dead rubber.

The last thing anybody wants is to take a typhoon lightly. The typhoon in early September damaged a ton of homes and caused major issues at Narita Airport for a couple days; a typhoon smaller than this smacked Osaka last year and caused serious damage too.

It’s the World Cup but this stuff happens. Safety is more important than the risk to everyone involved.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

It’s the World Cup but this stuff happens. Safety is more important than the risk to everyone involved.

If only they could have predicted this.....this typhoon season.

If there' a chance that they might cancel Scotland vs Japan they need to look at ways around it, just calling it a draw and handing Japan a place in the knockouts is ridiculous really.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 10, 2019

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Now that Quarter-finals are basically set in stone :

South Africa vs Japan
Wales vs France

New Zealand vs Ireland
England vs Australia

Wales and South Africa had their betting odds cut in half, the moment the press-conference ended o.O

Tyma fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 10, 2019

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Aramoro posted:

If there' a chance that they might cancel Scotland vs Japan they need to look at ways around it, just calling it a draw and handing Japan a place in the knockouts is ridiculous really.

There's always something that can gently caress up an event in Japan, whether it be typhoons, earthquakes, mudslides, heat waves from hell, or the occasional massive snowstorm. Japan does better than most countries when it comes to disaster prep (power plants excluded) but poo poo happens here all the time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kodo posted:

There's always something that can gently caress up an event in Japan, whether it be typhoons, earthquakes, mudslides, heat waves from hell, or the occasional massive snowstorm. Japan does better than most countries when it comes to disaster prep (power plants excluded) but poo poo happens here all the time.

I'm pretty sure there isn't an earthquake season where you get earthquakes at the same time every year.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Aramoro posted:

yes let's just play all the world cups in England from now on, so we won't have to deal with bad weather.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Kodo posted:

To he fair their handling of transport from Narita the last big typhoon a few months ago way *awful*

Their preparatory procedures and infrastructure are good but the bureaucracy is pretty inflexible so they suck rear end at effective changes on the fly.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Just handing? They’ve won every game. If Scotland deserved a place in the quarters they should have beaten at least one good team instead of zero. And speaking of predicting, maybe Scotland should have predicted the typhoon instead and beaten Ireland to prepare for it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I think we're losing sight of the more important issue :

New Zealand drawing 0-0 with Italy (World Ranking 11) means that Wales are going to be the Best Team In The World again for a week. :neckbeard:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just handing? They’ve won every game. If Scotland deserved a place in the quarters they should have beaten at least one good team instead of zero. And speaking of predicting, maybe Scotland should have predicted the typhoon instead and beaten Ireland to prepare for it.

And if they don't beat Scotland there's a chance they wont qualify? It would just be handing Japan a place in the knockout as they wouldn't need to do anything to get it, otherwise they need to not lose to Scotland by too much. It's like cancelling the Ireland vs Samoa match would just hand both Scotland and Japan places in the knockouts.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 10, 2019

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Tyma posted:

New Zealand drawing 0-0 with Italy (World Ranking 11) means that Wales are going to be the Best Team In The World again for a week. :neckbeard:

That is very funny

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I can't believe two games of rugby have been cancelled, I think it's time to start taking typhoons seriously. Firstly, what are they?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
They’re the wind of the gods bringing victory to Japan m8

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Tyma posted:

Wth? Do those cancelled games really go into the IRB rankings? And I thought draws are not influencing points anyway

Or does the win vs Fiji give Wales enough of a boost to make it to #1 on their own?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

harperdc posted:

They made rules, they’re following them. If France-England had a place on the line it’d be unfortunate, too. Luckily it’s a dead rubber.

The last thing anybody wants is to take a typhoon lightly. The typhoon in early September damaged a ton of homes and caused major issues at Narita Airport for a couple days; a typhoon smaller than this smacked Osaka last year and caused serious damage too.

Nobody is suggesting that matches are played during a typhoon but the matches should have been moved to an alternate stadium. There is enough time and the article I read when this issue first came up quoted officials saying that games would be moved and only cancelled as a last resort. Its a real shambles to have group positions and qualification decided by called off games. The same thing happened in the cricket world cup earlier this year and it was just as much of a joke there. A once every four year competition should have better foresight in the planning stages.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Flayer posted:

Nobody is suggesting that matches are played during a typhoon

I now think they should play during the typhoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
arent the two games that were cancelled essentially dead rubbers anyway? The Scotland - Japan game is going ahead, this is the one that has the most on the line.