Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

they got the #1 right, but lmao at no Swans what the hell

no Swans, no Agalloch, no Danny Brown Atrocity Exhibition, no Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, no IDLES, no Benji, no Neon Indian, no The Menzingers, no Purity Ring, no Jon Hopkins, no Baroness, no Kylesa, only one of Death Grips, the wrong Angel Olsen album, no Rhye

somehow Channel Orange is 8 places ahead of good kid maas city despite coming out in the same year and to this day good kid is a better album, Robyn being still held up as some icon but ugh

but the best part is not including Benji BUT NAME DROPPING IT IN THE SUFJAN STEVENS REVIEW

"Compared to the decade’s other creative-nonfiction-folk landmarks—Sun Kil Moon’s Benji and Mount Eerie’s A Crow Looked at Me—the songs on Carrie & Lowell rarely take place in the present tense."

they did include A Crow Looked At Me so this really is just trying to whitewash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lid posted:

no Swans, no Agalloch, no Danny Brown Atrocity Exhibition, no Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, no IDLES, no Benji, no Neon Indian, no The Menzingers, no Purity Ring, no Jon Hopkins, no Baroness, no Kylesa, only one of Death Grips, the wrong Angel Olsen album, no Rhye

somehow Channel Orange is 8 places ahead of good kid maas city despite coming out in the same year and to this day good kid is a better album, Robyn being still held up as some icon but ugh

but the best part is not including Benji BUT NAME DROPPING IT IN THE SUFJAN STEVENS REVIEW

"Compared to the decade’s other creative-nonfiction-folk landmarks—Sun Kil Moon’s Benji and Mount Eerie’s A Crow Looked at Me—the songs on Carrie & Lowell rarely take place in the present tense."

they did include A Crow Looked At Me so this really is just trying to whitewash

Who cares man

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Yeah it's a poo poo list and Pitchfork has become an even more lovely site than it was 10 years ago, who knew.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

There was no way this list was going to please people. I just ignored it and enjoyed my own personal favourite albums of the last decade, which I think is a more diverse collection.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Digging the newest Phantogram track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMe8Gnm7jqk

e: new Polica too, new album in January

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djlZf1J0wqI

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 9, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Solange in the top ten lol okay dude

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

angrygodofjebus posted:

Digging the newest Phantogram track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMe8Gnm7jqk

e: new Polica too, new album in January

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djlZf1J0wqI

Came here to post the new Phantogram as well! It's classic them (nothing new), but they have perfected haunting synth rock.

Excited for new Polica too. They've been quiet for awhile.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 9, 2019

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Slandible posted:

Excited for new Polica too. They've been quiet for awhile.

United Crushers ruled, but the album after with s t a r g a z e was awful. I think that was more of a Channy project. This sounds more like their normal sound so that's good.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

That list isn't even about pleasing people, you can almost feel it designed to harvest clicks.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

^burtle posted:

That list isn't even about pleasing people, you can almost feel it designed to harvest clicks.

That's generally the point of lists, yes

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

:psyduck: I thought Sturgill Simpson was country? Holy gently caress this new album of his is anything but and is incredible.

...incidentally checked the score on Pitchfork and as I thought, scores lower than Haim and just about any R&B album.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Sturgill is country sometimes, several other genre styles at other times. He has a southern drawl in his singing voice though so = country to most people who read Pitchfork.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

T Bowl posted:

Sturgill is country sometimes, several other genre styles at other times. He has a southern drawl in his singing voice though so = country to most people who read Pitchfork.

Also he is marketed as country and one of his albums has "country and western music" in the title. But yeah the new record is a weird blown out ZZ Top/My Morning Jacket thing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
His first two records were more steeped in country. The third was more along the lines of country + rock + TCB-era Elvis. The new one is straight up Eliminator-era ZZ Top.

They’ve all been good, check them out. Metamodern Sounds in Country Music is still my favorite but that’s also when I first heard him/saw him live.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also he is marketed as country and one of his albums has "country and western music" in the title. But yeah the new record is a weird blown out ZZ Top/My Morning Jacket thing.

He is quoted as saying this about his music.. I hope he changes his mind about "only five albums".

"Yes. I’m only making five albums. And they all do serve a cohesive narrative of a life journey of a human soul from a traditional Western perspective. So High Top Mountain was a seminal album or a past life, you can’t go home. Metamodern (Sounds in Country Music) was ethereal, literally like the soul’s journey through space. A Sailor’s Guide (To Earth) represents birth, and life lessons learning them. The next one is going to be about life and sin. We’re literally going to go to hell. And the fifth one will be returning to the light. Absolution."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

T Bowl posted:

He is quoted as saying this about his music.. I hope he changes his mind about "only five albums".

"Yes. I’m only making five albums. And they all do serve a cohesive narrative of a life journey of a human soul from a traditional Western perspective. So High Top Mountain was a seminal album or a past life, you can’t go home. Metamodern (Sounds in Country Music) was ethereal, literally like the soul’s journey through space. A Sailor’s Guide (To Earth) represents birth, and life lessons learning them. The next one is going to be about life and sin. We’re literally going to go to hell. And the fifth one will be returning to the light. Absolution."

....Sturgill Simpson is ganking career/marekting ideas from the Insane Clown Posse?!?!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

T Bowl posted:

this guy lives in a society goddamn

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Just watched the Sturgill anime and God drat it's pretty insane. Lots of great parts but as several mentioned in particular the dance scene was incredible, including the transition to it from a still.

...poor kitty though :(

Edit: cute cat burning alive aside, I find the existence of the anime really weird. Is there any backstory to this at all? It doesn't seem like it's available for purchase anywhere, just on Netflix. And the album's gatefold doesn't even have scenes from the anime or something (though I'm imagining that's going to be a super deluxe version someday)

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 10, 2019

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

his last album had a song with a line in it about playing goldeneye on the n64. i half expect that he has posted on these very forums

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
I got big Black Keys vibes from that Sturgill album and turned it off.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Has anyone seen Big Thief live? They're playing at the end of the month sort of near me and I'm wondering if it's worth the trip.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.

skooma512 posted:

Has anyone seen Big Thief live? They're playing at the end of the month sort of near me and I'm wondering if it's worth the trip.

i saw them open for the national a couple years ago and they were... solid? definitely werent huge on stage presence, but they played well and sounded good. the crowd was very much in 'just give me the national god drat it' mode so it wasnt the most energetic performance ever. id be curious to hear how they are as a headliner.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I saw The National last year because everyone raved about how great they are live and it was so incredibility mediocre.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've seen Big Thief and Adrianne Lenker solo a few times. They're good but quiet, just kind of workmanlike with the setlist if that bothers you.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

jeffLebowski posted:

i saw them open for the national a couple years ago and they were... solid? definitely werent huge on stage presence, but they played well and sounded good. the crowd was very much in 'just give me the national god drat it' mode so it wasnt the most energetic performance ever. id be curious to hear how they are as a headliner.

I've seen The Antlers and Courtney Barnett open (separately) for the National and I've seen them as headliners. Both times they performed much better as headliners. I think the auditorium and crowd size for The National just dwarves relatively smaller indie acts, especially with a crowd that's explicitly there for The National and not the openers.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I don't really mind either list. I listened to a Spotify playlist of the all 200 songs, and there were some that I agreed with, some that I didn't, and some I didn't understand. But, that's the nature of any list that is not your own.

Just because your favourite isn't included, does not mean it's stricken from history. Still enjoy that album/song, man.

I won tickets at work this week to see Wilco, and despite not being a huge fan, I really loved their show. The only unforgivable sin was that they didn't play "Jesus, Etc."

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

skooma512 posted:

I say go. Adrianne Lenker live is captivating.

e: ^^my best attempt to act like I'm not obsessed with them. New album is great.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 11, 2019

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I went to see William Fitzsimmons in Antwerp last week. Wow, what a great show.
His voice sounds just as clear live as it does on the records. His banter is funny in a pitch-black way.
The audience (maybe 300 people) was quiet except for the applause between songs. You could hear a pin drop.

I'm going to see Jambinai tonight. Completely different genre, but looking forward to it as well.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
New Caribou sounds like he's been listening to a lot of The Avalanches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX30jRKcmbw

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Turambar posted:

I went to see William Fitzsimmons in Antwerp last week. Wow, what a great show.
His voice sounds just as clear live as it does on the records. His banter is funny in a pitch-black way.
The audience (maybe 300 people) was quiet except for the applause between songs. You could hear a pin drop.

I'm going to see Jambinai tonight. Completely different genre, but looking forward to it as well.

That reminds me of the first time my friend and I saw José González. It was a small auditorium and everyone kept totally silent except for applause. Everyone was so focused on him. And he even admitted to messing up a bit on one song and everyone gave a collective "We didn't notice".

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Kramdar posted:

That reminds me of the first time my friend and I saw José González. It was a small auditorium and everyone kept totally silent except for applause. Everyone was so focused on him. And he even admitted to messing up a bit on one song and everyone gave a collective "We didn't notice".

Sounds like a Julien Baker show

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I know this isn’t the thread for it but I think I’ll get the quickest response here. Trying to remember a band, I think Ohio is in the title and the album was an owl, I think. The singer had a couple projects and died from alcoholism a few years back. There was a write up that was super depressing that I can’t seem to find. Blanking on the key words I suppose.

Any ideas? It’s real sad music.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I know this isn’t the thread for it but I think I’ll get the quickest response here. Trying to remember a band, I think Ohio is in the title and the album was an owl, I think. The singer had a couple projects and died from alcoholism a few years back. There was a write up that was super depressing that I can’t seem to find. Blanking on the key words I suppose.

Any ideas? It’s real sad music.

Owl John? That's a side project from the lead singer of Frightened Rabbits. He killed himself last year (this year?)

Both bands have real sad poo poo

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Jason Molina.

Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Company.

This is for sure the right thread for him.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

T Bowl posted:

New Caribou sounds like he's been listening to a lot of The Avalanches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX30jRKcmbw

Well he's been doing his house project Daphni since "Our Love" wound down. In fact, i've probably seen Daphni more than caribou and this pretty much sounds like a track with his vocals over it.

unrelated, but a bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T8c250kPVQ

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

T Bowl posted:

Jason Molina.

Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Company.

This is for sure the right thread for him.

That’s it! Thank you!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Edit: gently caress wrong thread.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 12, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

Fat Todd was really off-putting for me actually because I kept thinking of him as Ed from Fargo, who was truly a very nice and good-natured person and wasn't weird Todd creepy nice.

Sir, the only El Camino appropriate for this thread is the Black Keys 2011 album

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Sir, the only El Camino appropriate for this thread is the Black Keys 2011 album

I really dislike that album, it was the beginning of the end for me. I loved Brothers, which had a good blend of radio-ready pop rock and some cool, weird stuff.

El Camino felt like they knew they were playing arenas now so they tailored songs exclusively to that, and Gold on the Ceiling is one of the worst, most derivative songs from that time period that somehow was a huge radio hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

That's what I get for having several tabs open, gently caress.

On topic, I kind of like Gold on the Ceiling, even if it is overplayed. But it's got not much besides a catchy hook so I can see why it'd be disliked. It's designed to be a catchy single a la a lot of lovely pop songs.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 12, 2019