Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

What's the biggest difference in City to Company of Heroes? I only played the "sequel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

watho posted:

Like the usual narrative around it is that its some passionate kid who made a song about horses that blew up, but its someone who spent a considerable amount of time trying to manufacture viral fame

Wasnt he infamous for being a tweetdecker before all of this?

yea people have been trying to go viral with jokey country rap songs for a while. old town road is probably the best one but it was really the controversy with the billboard country charts and the billy ray cyrus verse that made it into a huge hit. that video annoyed the poo poo out of me because there isn't really anything you can learn from it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

That sounds like something David Gaider would write, and he's the guy who coined the term "Militant Islamic Borg" for the Q'unari. Also what about the pirate lady? If anything they made her darker in the sequel.

It will not surprise you to note that there are mods to both lighten Isabela skin tone (and also for her to wear less clothes, and she already doesn't wear pants).

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

:killing:

https://twitter.com/Nina_Metz/status/1181736492223389701

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

What's the biggest difference in City to Company of Heroes? I only played the "sequel"

company of heroes has a lot more tanks, world war 2, and real-time strategy in it.

(i think you're thinking of city of villains? probably?)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Farm Frenzy posted:

yea people have been trying to go viral with jokey country rap songs for a while. old town road is probably the best one but it was really the controversy with the billboard country charts and the billy ray cyrus verse that made it into a huge hit. that video annoyed the poo poo out of me because there isn't really anything you can learn from it

i mean the thing to learn from it is that in order to succeed in the music industry the only thing that matters is your social media premise

which is exactly why I stopped trying to get into the music industry the fact that this is presented positively is not great tho

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

company of heroes has a lot more tanks, world war 2, and real-time strategy in it.

(i think you're thinking of city of villains? probably?)

aaah right lol it was Champions Online actually

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what ever happened to the Integrity of the pop music industry

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Alaois posted:

what ever happened to the Integrity of the pop music industry

im not talking specifically about pop

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Honest Thief posted:

aaah right lol it was Champions Online actually

At the risk of being overly glib, the generally agreed upon difference between the two is that City of Heroes is actually good. I'm not an expert but the only thing I can think of in CO's favor is that the character creator has a handful of nice options that CoH (currently still) lacks like full support for asymmetry and better color and texture mapping (plus a few unorthodox power options). And I guess the graphics are generically better due to being newer...but the actual visual design is markedly worse while CoH's has held up well. In terms of gameplay they don't actually have that much in common beyond the core premise of "make your own superhero" and some basic mechanical concepts.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 9, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i loving hate how tencent has basically bought stock in everything so now all media companies basically kiss their asses.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This Blizzard situation is hosed, jesus.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arist posted:

This Blizzard situation is hosed, jesus.

It's only going further and goofier too, a guy got banned off the bnet forums for making a perfectly okay thread saying blizzard were being awful about this, the ban length? A casual thousand years, yesterday's date, 3019.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

It's only going further and goofier too, a guy got banned off the bnet forums for making a perfectly okay thread saying blizzard were being awful about this, the ban length? A casual thousand years, yesterday's date, 3019.

This will come back to gently caress them if it turns out that guy is an immortal and now just waiting to give them their comeuppance in 3019

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Did a short video on Brimstone, a mostly forgotten one season, dark and gritty, late 90s urban fantasy show that FOX buried.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Did they prepare it in case they lost?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i loving hate how tencent has basically bought stock in everything so now all media companies basically kiss their asses.

Tencent most likely didn't have much to do with it (or most of the other rear end kissing).

Blizzard just desperately wants to get more into the chinese market since capitalism demands infinite growth.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Andrast posted:

Tencent most likely didn't have much to do with it (or most of the other rear end kissing).

Blizzard just desperately wants to get more into the chinese market since capitalism demands infinite growth.

i mean thats a majority of it but isnt tencent basically a front?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

poparena posted:

Did a short video on Brimstone, a mostly forgotten one season, dark and gritty, late 90s urban fantasy show that FOX buried.

Oh, I remember that pretty fondly. I really liked John Glover as the Devil.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The talk that Hbomberguy did at XOXO (about transphobia and the Mermaids charity stream) went up on its YouTube channel

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

It's great stuff, especially the choice of t-shirt. Hbomb continues to affirm he's a man of great taste

(For those not in the loop, https://dcfilmshub.com/zack-snyder-creates-justice-league-t-shirt-for-afsp/ )

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hbomb doing a TED Talk energy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been enjoying Maggie Mae Fish videos lately. She's a lot of fun and does interesting videos. The episode she did on the Christian make up scumbag was very good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I've been watching her on and off since her Sorry To Bother You video and she's pretty good. Her Christian movie reviews are basically an expos on the shady practices of Christian filmmakers which is something I haven't seen a lot before whenever someone on YouTube pokes fun at Christian films (note: I don't watch a lot of Renegade Cut stuff)

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hbomb doing a TED Talk energy.

it was a fantastic talk, and actually very moving at points. kudos to harris

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Aw. Lovely little thing. Thinking back to that stream gives me a big smile.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Maggie Mae Fishs videos on Christian movies have a really good balance of explaining whats wrong with the movie, whats wrong with the production of these movies, and how those things ties into the current state of American Christianity in general. Probably my current favorite series of media criticism. She also has really good comedic timing

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DoubleCakes posted:

I've been watching her on and off since her Sorry To Bother You video and she's pretty good. Her Christian movie reviews are basically an expos on the shady practices of Christian filmmakers which is something I haven't seen a lot before whenever someone on YouTube pokes fun at Christian films (note: I don't watch a lot of Renegade Cut stuff)

She's good at this and should keep doing it. These are films for populations who have built-in mental programming and social pressures that prevent scrutiny from within, and they have political power and tax shielding that protect them from without. There can't be enough skepticism aimed at 'em.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also free Chelsea Manning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

poparena posted:

Thanks for remembering this old show. My favorite in this genre was UPNs Deadly Games, where it was Christopher Lloyd instead of John Glover and fmv video game characters instead of demons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this showed up in my recommendations, not sure if the guy has any problematic views since I don't know him, but this video reminded me of a show I haven't thought of in YEARS that was honestly kinda nuts for how good it was and how good they looked 18-20 goddamn years ago. A show made in 1999 and a sequel in 2001, using largely CGI models for its namesake, and it looks better than a lot of modern anime. Zoids: Chaotic Century and Zoids: New Century/Zoids Zero. I only watched a few episodes of Chaotic Century, but I loved the poo poo out of Zoids Zero, and definitely fell into a zoids model kit hole for a while thanks to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwGzL2zHvjM&hd=1

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also free Chelsea Manning.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Out of curiosity has anyone else had their recommendations tab on youtube bombarded by Kid toy reviews, Peppa Pig videos and Cocomelon preschool television shows? My recommendations tab grabbed them all at random and I think it's part of a marketing push by whatever stakeholders own all these properties, since they all have millions of views and showed up out of nowhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

watho posted:

Maggie Mae Fishs videos on Christian movies have a really good balance of explaining whats wrong with the movie, whats wrong with the production of these movies, and how those things ties into the current state of American Christianity in general. Probably my current favorite series of media criticism. She also has really good comedic timing

In the make up video I got a good laugh at her declaring that she was going to investigate and then pulling out a Sherlock Holmes hat and magnifying lens.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Oh cool. It's always nice to see stuff like this kept alive by the community once official support for it has ended. I have to admit, though, I've never really been that interested in the City of Heroes, but maybe I can check it out sometime.

Apart from WOW, the only other MMO I thought to try was FF XIV, since that sounds like it has a lot of customization stuff as well, and it also offers a lot more to do apart from just combat. The problem, though, is that you have to buy FFXIV just to get a 30-day trial, so I'm reluctant. On top of that, I prefer WOW's cartoony look over FFXIV's more...realistic style? (Dunno how to describe it). Still, the little I've seen and heard about it makes it sound like you have a lot of flexibility in how you can customize the look and gear of your character, and there's stuff like player houses and such.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

FFXIV has one of worst implementations for housing Ive seen. In a vacuum, its fine. Not Wildstar levels, but good enough. To GET a house, however, you have to buy a plot of land. And plots are finite.

Yeah.

So as you imagine, housing is rare and super expensive. They dont just make more plots due to a fear of pissing off players already invested...or some grandfathered things from 1.0. I forget exactly. They did add cheaper apartments, but its not the same.

Guild houses, however, have unlimited personal rooms for members, so its not a complete loss.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Out of curiosity has anyone else had their recommendations tab on youtube bombarded by Kid toy reviews, Peppa Pig videos and Cocomelon preschool television shows? My recommendations tab grabbed them all at random and I think it's part of a marketing push by whatever stakeholders own all these properties, since they all have millions of views and showed up out of nowhere.

I've seen it inconsistently on the side of certain videos, usually ones with low view counts. I think it's some kind of error on Youtube's end, where the almighty algorithm doesn't know what to recommend and defaults to popular kids videos.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

The problem, though, is that you have to buy FFXIV just to get a 30-day trial, so I'm reluctant.

as far as i know the free trial is completely free and unlimited, you just cant level up past 35

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Pants Donkey posted:

FFXIV has one of worst implementations for housing Ive seen. In a vacuum, its fine. Not Wildstar levels, but good enough. To GET a house, however, you have to buy a plot of land. And plots are finite.

Yeah.

So as you imagine, housing is rare and super expensive. They dont just make more plots due to a fear of pissing off players already invested...or some grandfathered things from 1.0. I forget exactly. They did add cheaper apartments, but its not the same.

Guild houses, however, have unlimited personal rooms for members, so its not a complete loss.

NIMBYism in an MMO lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah.

I was just thinking of having some personal place you can go where can stow your stuff and sign off for the evening (when I tried WOW, I'd go back to one of the inns and do the /sleep emote on one of the beds in a half-hearted attempt at role-playing). A guild house room sounds like it would be fine for that sort of thing.

Still, that system is bizarre. I guess you could argue it's realistic (you've got to own land to build on it, and there's a finite amount of land in the world), but what happens once all the land gets bought up? That seems like the sort of thing where people would start auctioning their properties off for real-world money.

dmboogie posted:

as far as i know the free trial is completely free and unlimited, you just cant level up past 35

On Steam, it's $20 USD for the Online Starter Edition, which comes with 30 days free. Maybe you have to get it direct from Square Enix's site in order to play the limited version?