Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just bought a really cheap one from Ebay to help with mine - supposedly the issue with the cheap ones is they're not particularly "modulated" and output more ozone than more expensive ones, but I'd imagine it'll do what I need just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
What is the general consensus on synthetic clay kits, or the silicone-rubber synthetic clay bars? I bought one of the rubbery ones and I'm not terribly impressed, but it could be that I'm just using it improperly. I've used real clay bar in the past to great effect, so feeling a little disappointed with this product.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrOnBicycle posted:

What about the effect on plastics? Anything to worry about?

I've never seen anything actually degraded by using ozone with my use. I think the warnings about plastic / adhesive degradation is for prolonged exposure.

Dave Inc. posted:

What is the general consensus on synthetic clay kits, or the silicone-rubber synthetic clay bars? I bought one of the rubbery ones and I'm not terribly impressed, but it could be that I'm just using it improperly. I've used real clay bar in the past to great effect, so feeling a little disappointed with this product.

I've got the... I think Mother's? Maybe Meguiars, idk. It's red with the black textured business end. I have nothing but good to say about it. It works with plain water, better with a lubricating agent, does as good of a job as "real" clay, plus you can wash off the surface to make sure you don't have any contaminants.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dave Inc. posted:

ive been using the griots garage synthetic clay and it works extremely well. i wash the car, rinse it off and then get another fresh bucket of soapy water and use that as the lubricant for the clay "bar"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsJrOps2lQ

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

blk posted:

A mouse died in the blower of my Miata, it was in there a few days to a week before I found it (I thought the smell was in a garage where I had stored the car).

Mouse is gone, cleaned the fan, smell persists. Will running an ozone generator for 1-2 hours take care of it with the car fan running, or do I need to do something else?

MrOnBicycle posted:

What about the effect on plastics? Anything to worry about?

Generally in detailing you want to try the least aggressive methods first, and an ozone generator would be considered one of the most aggressive methods due to its ageing of the materials in the car.

Given that a mouse died in there I would say it's use would be warranted, especially if the interior is not too old and generally good shape.

But the non-aggressive method would be to really get in there and clean the fan (which the guy said he already did), but then also to spray a deodorizer spray inside the AC system and recirculate it. You would also treat all the odor-absorbing materials in your car (seatbealts, carpets, fabric, cushions, headliner, etc) with this spray to kill any smells they have absorbed themselves. This whole process might need to be done once or twice.

Personally I would try the spray method first. Yes, it takes way more time, but it does work, and it would give me the "warm fuzzies" to know that I personally cleaned and deodorized all the nooks and crannies myself without potentially aging the materials. If you did this as part of a major interior detail anyway (cleaning and wiping down everything in the car's interior), it honestly wouldn't be too onerous.

EDIT: Here is a really good resource on killing smells in cars, read it for more detailed options: https://www.bowdensown.com.au/guides/removing-bad-odours-your-car

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 9, 2019

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Dave Inc. posted:

I’m in Australia, and I recently bought the synthetic clay from Bowden’s Own, which is an Aussie brand of detailing products. I used it with their quick detailer product and I have to say I was pretty underwhelmed. It didn’t do anywhere near as much as any actual clay I’ve used before (Mothers and Megs).

I then went and bought Bowden’s Own’s actual clay bar, and it did the job like I would expect.

🤷🏻‍♂️

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The past few times I've applied Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and Liquid Wax with an orbital buffer, it doesn't buff off by hand. The product gets very dry on the car and I have to work hard with a microfiber towel to get it off, creating just the kind of swirl marks I was hoping to remove. What am I doing wrong?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Were you working in the sun?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and how old is the product that you're using? how big of an area are you doing at once? are you using foam pads or those lovely boot/covers? what kind of buffer?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Porter Cable 7424XP on 4 (out of 6) power, no sun, foam pads, product is probably a year old, 2'x2' sections

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you might check a couple of youtube videos on how to wax to make sure you're doing it right but all in all wax is really cheap so try another brand and see if you like it better.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/best+of+show+wax.do

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I wonder if the speed/pad is generating too much heat and evaporating the moisture from the product.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

blk posted:

The past few times I've applied Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and Liquid Wax with an orbital buffer, it doesn't buff off by hand. The product gets very dry on the car and I have to work hard with a microfiber towel to get it off, creating just the kind of swirl marks I was hoping to remove. What am I doing wrong?

I find the ultimate polish doesn't come off very well, it needs lots of elbow grease with a microfiber. The wax works great though and comes up easily.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

you might check a couple of youtube videos on how to wax to make sure you're doing it right but all in all wax is really cheap so try another brand and see if you like it better.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/best+of+show+wax.do

FYI, that wax looks amazing but it's an absolute bitch to get off if you use too much.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
never had any trouble with their stuff

it's worth noting that they changed the formula a 3-4 years ago to make it easier to buff off

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The ozone machine didn't work on the mouse odor. I ran it for an hour with the fan, but maybe I should have set the fan to recirculate - I figured inputting fresh air would help.

I peeled back some windshield trim covering what I believe is the air intake for the cabin. There's no cabin air filter. The odor was definitely worse on the intake side. I'm wondering if there's a second mouse somewhere in the works, or if the other one just had its guts sprayed everywhere through the vent ducts by the fan.

I'm going to try this deodorizer tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-8...601205164&psc=1

If that doesn't work I guess I'm taking apart the dash and cleaning or replacing all the ducts. This car has been a loving nightmare.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

never had any trouble with their stuff

it's worth noting that they changed the formula a 3-4 years ago to make it easier to buff off

Probably a good chance I have the original version. I had to use quick detailer to get it all off. Car looked amazing though!

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

blk posted:

The ozone machine didn't work on the mouse odor. I ran it for an hour with the fan, but maybe I should have set the fan to recirculate - I figured inputting fresh air would help.

I peeled back some windshield trim covering what I believe is the air intake for the cabin. There's no cabin air filter. The odor was definitely worse on the intake side. I'm wondering if there's a second mouse somewhere in the works, or if the other one just had its guts sprayed everywhere through the vent ducts by the fan.

I'm going to try this deodorizer tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-8...601205164&psc=1

If that doesn't work I guess I'm taking apart the dash and cleaning or replacing all the ducts. This car has been a loving nightmare.

Mouse is probably stuck in the middle of the fan, can you get the fan out?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Speaking of mice and fans: I had a mouse crawl up and get electrocuted on the back of my stove. Didn't notice the smell really for a while, except that I thought the over smelled a bit odd when using the fan........ Eventually the smell got bad enough that I figured out what had happened. Nice to know that I've been cooking stuff with rotten mouse air. Mmmm.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

blindjoe posted:

Mouse is probably stuck in the middle of the fan, can you get the fan out?

Yeah, I removed the fan first and pulled the mouse out of it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

blk posted:

As we talked about last page, UP kind of sucks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

blk posted:

The ozone machine didn't work on the mouse odor.

Then you didn't use it correctly.

quote:

I ran it for an hour with the fan, but maybe I should have set the fan to recirculate - I figured inputting fresh air would help.

There's your problem. You were pumping lovely, freshly baked ozone into the car, the quickly blowing it right out of the car. It cleanses through a chemical reaction, it needs some latency for the process. Set the fan to recirculate and try it again. All windows closed. Fan on high. Run the ozone machine for 15 minutes, shut off the car and the ozone generator and let it sit for 30 minutes. Repeat if necessary, but if you're doing it correctly with a legitimate ozone generator, it probably won't be.

Red_Fred posted:

As we talked about last page, UP kind of sucks.

Yup.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

meatpimp posted:

Then you didn't use it correctly.

There's your problem. You were pumping lovely, freshly baked ozone into the car, the quickly blowing it right out of the car. It cleanses through a chemical reaction, it needs some latency for the process. Set the fan to recirculate and try it again. All windows closed. Fan on high. Run the ozone machine for 15 minutes, shut off the car and the ozone generator and let it sit for 30 minutes. Repeat if necessary, but if you're doing it correctly with a legitimate ozone generator, it probably won't be.

This is completely correct, and to add more info the "chemical process" is the violently reactive ozone annihilating itself against organic stuff, aka the stink. That's the reason why you are not supposed to be breathing ozone (annihilate your squishy lungs) and why there is the idea to not just bake stuff in ozone for days (as it would start to destroy fabric and other things).
This is also why it works best when completely sealed for an hour or so at a time so the ozone can do it's work.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The fan died on the second round of ozone so I'll have to wait for replacement. This car is cursed.

Re: my other car, I want to run dye in the oil to trace a leak. The engine bay is a loving mess, though, especially the bottom. Any easy way to clean this so I can spot the leak easier?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
What's the best way to clean an interior carpet when you don't have a carpet cleaner? I once did this with a rental shampoo machine at a car wash and it left an overpowering soap smell in the car for another 50k miles.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

blk posted:

The fan died on the second round of ozone so I'll have to wait for replacement. This car is cursed.

Re: my other car, I want to run dye in the oil to trace a leak. The engine bay is a loving mess, though, especially the bottom. Any easy way to clean this so I can spot the leak easier?

Bottle of engine degreaser and a trip to the coin op car wash. Try not to pressure wash your electronics.

This is frowned upon on multiple levels.

Then again they sell undercarriage washes so...

When I'm trying to trace a leak I'll usually have a rough idea (front/back/left/right) where it is. Scrape the gunk in that area then carpet bomb with brake clean. Advantage is you can catch most of it with a catch pan and dump it with oil recycling to be more environmentaly friendly.

If you're not sure of the general area, lay some fresh cardboard down where you're going to park overnight. Mark where you're tires sit on it once parked. Next day you have a rough place to start.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

blk posted:

What's the best way to clean an interior carpet when you don't have a carpet cleaner? I once did this with a rental shampoo machine at a car wash and it left an overpowering soap smell in the car for another 50k miles.

Have a drill? There are brush attachments that you can get for a drill (chemical guys has an overpriced version, I got mine on amazon). Then just spray carpet cleaner (I’m a fan of P and S carver bomber). Vacuum at the end.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I used a steamer to clean a beater Mercedes I picked up. poo poo is magic on just about any interior dirt. Coffee stains on the headliner basically disappeared when I steamed them. Amazing.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

If you found one mouse that usually means there are 5 more you don't see. There may be a nest or remnants of one that will need to be cleared if you want the smell gone.

Thanks for the Ozone tips. I've just been leaving it in the car for an 30-60 mins without the fan, probably would get better results with some movement.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I once found a mouse electrocuted... At the back of my stove/oven.... After I had noticed a progressivly worsening smell............ I had used the fan setting multiple times and been wondering about the smell..............

Nice.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The carpets and seat upholstery in both of my cars are champs at holding hair in them. Would a carpet brush attached to a drill help getting all of that out?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Arson Daily posted:

The carpets and seat upholstery in both of my cars are champs at holding hair in them. Would a carpet brush attached to a drill help getting all of that out?

I have a black and white short haired dog and my wife's old Juke had a black interior with a nappy carpet that seemed to draw the white hair like a magnet and hold it there. I kinda gave up at first when I was getting it ready to sell, then I got the idea to use on the carpet one of the dog mitts we use for the dog. It's one of those rubbery / textured gloves and it worked great. It pulled up almost everything from the carpet and passed my inspection.

Carpet brushes at speed can pull the fabric of the carpet and make it... well, hard to explain, but it kinda straightens it out and it looks terrible.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I got an appointment for some dent repair. Now to read up on touch up paint and sanding/buffing it smooth.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
For animal hair, those rubber bristled brushes are very good, and cheap. Their main function is to get the hair loosened up so the vacuum nozzle in your other hand can get it.

taqueso posted:

I got an appointment for some dent repair. Now to read up on touch up paint and sanding/buffing it smooth.
Be careful, you don't want to make the new paint better than the rest of the car, that stands out about as much as one panel looking like arse.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Anyone have opinions on stuff like Dr Colorchip or Chipex where you wipe away the excess with solvent? They get rave reviews, but if I need to do something with base coat and clear I am absolutely willing to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

IMO, they are different tools for different jobs. Base and clear is for larger chips (about half the diameter of a pencil eraser) while solvent type is more appropriate for road rash "sandblasting" damage.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cool, thanks. That was the impression I was getting reading reviews.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 19, 2019

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I was having some driveway work done and the guys used a saw to cut a section of concrete walkway, which blew into the garage and completely coated my car. Do I need to give this any consideration beyond my normal wash routine, with an emphasis on a really thorough pre-wash? I do have a power washer I was going to hit it with before any kind of contact washing. The paver mentioned I shouldn't use water to rinse it off but the car was already pretty dirty so I'm not going to even think about wiping this off dry.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So it's just dry dust from concrete cutting? Not cement dust from mixing concrete, or concrete sealant overspray or anything?

I'd thoroughly hose off as much as possible then snowfoam the car and rinse again, not sure if there's a lot of options for doing anything without water unless you have compressed air you can blow it off with. Leafblower or similar may not have enough puff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Correct, it's just dry dust. I ran my finger over a small spot and it wiped off easily so it's not bonded to the paint or anything.

I do have a compressor so maybe I'll hit it with that before introducing water. My main concern from reading is the dust can start bonding with the paint if any moisture comes into play, even moisture in the air. I have it in the garage with the door shut for now. Part of the problem is the driveway is fresh asphalt so I can't pull the car out for a few days, then I'm going to be out of town through Thanksgiving so it's going to have to sit for at least 10 days before I can address it.