Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Speaking of, I forgot I even had the preorder God Eater weapons in this. I should remember to try them tonight since they are apparently less immersion-breaking than initially expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Stickman posted:

I wish you were wrong but Surge 2, the other competent souls-alike that released at the same time as Code Vein, has ~10% the concurrent players of CV.

I'd be onboard for God Hand Eater, though!

Yeah, I think the aesthetic is the biggest thing Vein has going for it. I finished Code Vein and it didn't really end up scratching that Souls itch so I got Surge 2 and I'm enjoying it more in terms of gameplay even if the visuals aren't as striking.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Drunken Baker posted:

This is absolutely on me, but I can't seem to judge the range of any of the bosses attacks. They all feel like their hotboxes extend out past where their weapons actually swing.

Currently going up against the big dude in the ice level and I hope I missed a bonfi- mistle because the current run back is insaaaaane.

Going to level up another Zweihander too and see if I can infuse it with fire to help out.
Yeah there should be one a little before him but it's only initially accessible by going left up the hill instead of right into the underground with the spiky balls. You'll need to kill one of those ice armor yetis though.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Someone was asking about the lore reveal in the late game and how Code vein fitted in with everything, so I'm going to spoil this timeline here.

God Eater starts around 2046 with the showing of Oracle Cells, followed by the outbreak of Aragami around the start of 2050.
God eater 1 starts and ends within the year of 2071.

We know that Code Vein takes place post 2050, as the Aragami have already have shown up and begun eating everything. We also know that Code vein doesn't take place after the events for God Eater 1, as we can tell by the moon. In both the Flaming city and the hotsprings at the base, you can get a look at the moon.

Due to the events of God Eater 1, the moon was 'terraformed' into something closer like Earth after shooting the loli to the moon. Because the moon still looks like a normal moon, we know that Code vein takes place before 2071, which is when God Eater 1 took place.

As for the start date, it seems that the appearance of the Aragami (The Great Collapse) accelerated the BOR project, leading to some less-than-ideal choices that caused the queen to frenzy. We can assume that the BOR parasite is somewhat related to oracle cells or the Aragami themselves, since the BOR functions as the human's 'core' similar to an Aragami's, and in order to destroy a revenant or Aragami, you need to destroy their core or they'll reform. Considering how Mido was somewhat already aware of the Aragami and what they're doing, we can say it's probably post 2050.

God eater trials started in 2055, with the first bias factor developed 3 years earlier, and oracle cells discovered 4 years before that. Thus Code vein takes place somewhere between 2050 and 2071.

Also your other bit of lore trivia: Louis' last name is Amamiya. The same last name as Lindow (Protagonist's mentor in GE) and his older sister Tsubaki

It reads like poo poo but I think I got everything important there, so forgive my early morning posting grammar

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 10, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Drunken Baker posted:

This is absolutely on me, but I can't seem to judge the range of any of the bosses attacks. They all feel like their hotboxes extend out past where their weapons actually swing.

My personal experience is that a lot of the hitboxes seem to activate at bizarre times (e.g. the very first frame of a swing animation so that you get clipped by the handle when you're standing next to them) or linger way longer than you'd expect. I personally think it's best to either go all-in on blocking, get Quick mobility, or get comfortable using Shifting Hollow (one of the initial Ranger gifts) to dodge.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Attestant posted:

It's kind of a shame how they made the game so horny. The game is just really good, but I feel like that particular part of the aesthetic will turn away some people who would otherwise adore this game.

Those people don't buy as many games as horny people

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Tae posted:

Those people don't buy as many games as horny people

There's a reason every video game has people making nude mods Day 1. Such is the audience.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hadn't even heard about God Eater so I had no idea the big twist was supposed to be this is in the god eater world. Just playing that would mean I can't be my sad vampire though

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
put some shoes on Io, there's glass and poo poo everywhere

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Kinda poo poo that outfits are one thing and you cant mix and match shirts/pants/shoes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

I hadn't even heard about God Eater so I had no idea the big twist was supposed to be this is in the god eater world. Just playing that would mean I can't be my sad vampire though

Yeah, it was more “here’s the cool connection they were going for with the reveal” than a serious gameplay suggestion. Hopefully Code Vein 2 will bridge the games a bit if it’s a sequel!

God Eater 3 is still worth a go if you like the Monster Hunter formula, but it plays quite a bit differently from CV.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 10, 2019

fish fingers
Jun 25, 2008
The new game plus mode seems like a much bigger step up in terms of the damage enemies do compared to the souls games, something to be aware of.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

So, I like to think I'm okay at Souls style games. Beat Surge 2 just last week, like.

In this, I beat a butterfly then a despot, and the game went "guess that's a dead end" and now I've got no idea where the hell I'm meant to go. I followed the only real path I could see, and now I've apparently to explore the ruined city centre, but, uh, I thought I did.

Where the heck am I meant to go next?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Seedge posted:

So, I like to think I'm okay at Souls style games. Beat Surge 2 just last week, like.

In this, I beat a butterfly then a despot, and the game went "guess that's a dead end" and now I've got no idea where the hell I'm meant to go. I followed the only real path I could see, and now I've apparently to explore the ruined city centre, but, uh, I thought I did.

Look for a big hole in the City Center

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Seedge posted:

You missed an unmissable gigantic pit

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Jeez, builds that hit Mind B+ and therefore can do Final Journey + Bridge to Glory + Whatever may as well be in a different game from builds that do not.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Jeez, builds that hit Mind B+ and therefore can do Final Journey + Bridge to Glory + Whatever may as well be in a different game from builds that do not.

Bridge to Glory is insanely broken, but nerfing it would put Light gifts in an awkward spot: nothing really scales off of Light except that and a handful of offensive gifts, none of which are substantially better than similar Dark gifts, so you'd end up with Light gifts being a huge trap option.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Vermain posted:

Bridge to Glory is insanely broken, but nerfing it would put Light gifts in an awkward spot: nothing really scales off of Light except that and a handful of offensive gifts, none of which are substantially better than similar Dark gifts, so you'd end up with Light gifts being a huge trap option.

light builds are broken as hell if you get three barrage spells, and spells aren't affected by bridge to glory

but yeah they're stupid. i think it's the only way that level 1 builds can work really well

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

To add more to stat scaling being extremely goofy, I equipped a +str/vit passive and it gave me literally 1 extra hp.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

light builds are broken as hell if you get three barrage spells, and spells aren't affected by bridge to glory

Sure, but you can also just go Dark, get three blade spells, have similar efficacy with arguably less hassle, and have access to stronger Dark gifts like Purging Thorn or Twilight. The hook for Light gifts is supposed to be support magic, but when only one support spell actually seems to gain any benefit from you maxing the stat, then there ain't much use for it if that one support spell isn't bonkers.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah the game is begging for a balance pass before any DLC. I don't even think Glory is that OP it's just the passive stat boost don't do nearly enough and Final Journey probably shouldn't be interacting so strongly with Glory.

It's just strange you get gifts like the self buff spell that raises your strength/Dex by half a letter for like 40 seconds. It's terrible.

Some weapons have mnd/int scaling on their stat sheets and they do nothing too, not even a special ~gift trigger~ on the strong attack.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
https://i.imgur.com/P150W16.mp4

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I'm currently playing through Surge 2 and it has very fun smashy smash, does this game have good smash action?

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

That's by far my favorite halberd for general use because everything is a nice wide swing, and being the highest raw damage option doesn't hurt either.
It's a shame everything except hyperspecialized magic plays third fiddle to greatsword raw damage output and sustainability though.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm trying to master all skills for all codes and man, it gets a little grindy

there's not enough of the MJ codes to unlock stuff easily

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Save the MJ unlocks for blood codes you don't feel like actually playing as, or where you'll be unlocking gifts very incrementally and can't concurrently learn all the gifts at once unless you wait until late in the game to even start (e.g. Eos, Mercury, Hermes).

The rest of the blood codes, just murderhobo your way around - if nothing else it's a nice way to play around with different playstyles and see what different gifts do in practice. It also goes faster once you get that one passive gift (from... Hephaestus, I think?) that makes learning gifts go faster.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm only a couple hours in, but I got a giant gently caress-off sword and my backstabs now involve some sort of scorpion tail, so yeah, this game's pretty good.

I hope other character creation systems steal the concept of putting hairstyles in component parts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My mistake was never using any of the first tier of Awake MJ because I didn't have many codes back then so was just going through each of them. But then late in the game when I still had lots of stuff to master I would run out of the later tiers and have tons of useless first tier piled up that I never used. So be proactive and use them even early on.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Honestly, I liked having to run each code for a bit so I could try out the various gifts. Early on it doesn't take long at all to master a code, and even if you don't use any awakens you should have everything mastered before finishing NG+.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I found myself incapable of finding a good farming spot for the second tier MJ and that was the most annoying one to try to unlock and master, cause I eventually learnt most of the first tier gifts

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
This was pretty cool if a bit overpriced as a $40 game, but they have a long way to go if they want to make an actually good soulsborne game. Incredibly linear and uninspired level design is probably the #1 thing they need to work on but balance and enemy design is an ever present issue.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Merilan posted:

I found myself incapable of finding a good farming spot for the second tier MJ and that was the most annoying one to try to unlock and master, cause I eventually learnt most of the first tier gifts

The depth's invasions of the appropriate level seem to be my best source for MJs, but it's extremely random.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Mehrunes posted:

This was pretty cool if a bit overpriced as a $40 game, but they have a long way to go if they want to make an actually good soulsborne game. Incredibly linear and uninspired level design is probably the #1 thing they need to work on but balance and enemy design is an ever present issue.

This game makes me want the Monster Hunter devs to try making a Soulsborne.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Rascyc posted:

Yeah the game is begging for a balance pass before any DLC. I don't even think Glory is that OP it's just the passive stat boost don't do nearly enough and Final Journey probably shouldn't be interacting so strongly with Glory.

It's just strange you get gifts like the self buff spell that raises your strength/Dex by half a letter for like 40 seconds. It's terrible.

Some weapons have mnd/int scaling on their stat sheets and they do nothing too, not even a special ~gift trigger~ on the strong attack.

IDK, I was on an info black out on this game and after I discovered this combo I basically steam rolled the entire game. With the sword you get from the fire cat lady, I was hitting for something around 2.8k per attack. On some of the bosses if I got a stagger at the right time I would literally just kill them before they could do their phase 2 transformation.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

when the heck is queen steel buying in infinite quantities?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

pmchem posted:

when the heck is queen steel buying in infinite quantities?

Literally the second to last area. It's dumb

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Literally the second to last area. It's dumb

yeah, weird tuning. I have over 4 mil haze waiting to be spent since I mastered all gifts and don’t want to overlevel. just want to buy steel

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I hope they patch it in earlier, because it's ridiculous as is.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Beat the game. Does NG+ add anything unique, item or emote-wise?

Game was good, well worth the time. Great Souls-lite experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

pmchem posted:

Beat the game. Does NG+ add anything unique, item or emote-wise?

Game was good, well worth the time. Great Souls-lite experience.

There are two blood codes from each of the successor bosses (depending on how you resolve things), and you can't get both without NG+.