Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

How many of you are working with AWS, Azure, GCP or another "cloud" IT Platform? I pretty much spend my entire day with Azure but occasionally work with corresponding services like traditional Active Directory.

I ended up being the guy who works on Azure stuff when we started moving some of our stuff over to ~The Cloud~, we currently don't use it for much beyond Azure AD and a few Virtual Machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hey all, I would like to survey the thread about something, would really appreciate your help. I'm trying to gather info outside of my own job history and experience, and I would like to use the results I expect from this as ammo at my current job.

1) Remote work allowed.
2) No limit however on-site client visits and large events have assumed attendance. Even if there's a conference bridge, if you are in town you better show up physically in person.
3) No
4) We are adults and as such as are responsible for getting our work done properly.
5) Yes
6) US
7) Private but some public sector.
8) Non-Union.

Thank you extremely much.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

How many of you are working with AWS, Azure, GCP or another "cloud" IT Platform? I pretty much spend my entire day with Azure but occasionally work with corresponding services like traditional Active Directory.

We’re pretty strongly hybrid and I easily more time in azure than i do with our on prem infrastructure. Our AD+Adfs infrastructure is split between on prem and azure vms. In addition we have a handful web apps running in azure app service and a couple tb of storage.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

Our infrastructure is cloud native so I'm almost exclusively working in AWS & GCP

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

95% of my day to day work is in AWS. The rest is a mix of azure AD and one or two random tools from GCP, though we're setting up a POC of anthos, which will be neat.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

At the risk of joining another survey dogpile, I also work 95% in AWS with a smattering of physical boxes we can’t do away with for various reasons. I just wrapped up leading a project to migrate the relatively small division I work in into AWS and my boss wants to make the case to senior leadership for me to do the same for bigger, more important things.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I work for a large, non cloud specific MSP and most of my clients have at least some cloud deployments.

As a developer on the personal side all of my apps are written for GCP services (primarily Appengine)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I work 100% in Azure atm, it's nice.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Working for an MSP is bad. My main issue is that they are always 24/7 operations which means expect to work bad hours. It was either collapse into debt for me or work for a MSP. Hopefully you have a good reason.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 10, 2019

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Currently in the middle of moving all our stuff from an MSP to AWS. So I’m spending 90% of my time in AWS now. That’ll be 100% of my time next year.

Being spoiled with having APIs for everything and being not dependent on other teams for a lot of stuff, I’m not sure if I want to ever work with on prem infra again.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Stuck with mostly on-prem at an MSP with 200+ small/medium sized clients. I do a fair amount of O365 stuff but obviously that's not quite Azure. I'm pushing a few clients to migrate some services to Azure as I think it will be better for them in the long run, but we'll see how that goes. We do have some clients fully in Azure, some have VMs with plain old AD and some are using strictly AAD and have lovely device management capabilities.

One of the clients in AAD is trying to get HiTrust certified which is turning into a huge laugh, but they didn't decide to do that until AFTER going the cheap route with AAD; AAD is fine until you need to manage users/devices at a more granular level.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Is Azure still double the price of aws

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Is Azure still double the price of aws

Lol no

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Posting for a friend. His company has this signature.

All information in this Communication, including attachments, is strictly confidential and intended solely for delivery to and authorized use by the addressee(s) identified above, and may contain privileged, confidential, proprietary and/or trade secret information entitled to protection and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please take notice that any use, distribution or copying of this Communication, and/or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance upon it, is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this Communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this Communication from your computer.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

This is why you don’t work at msp

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Don't think that poo poo is unique to MSPs for a second. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wonder how long its been since I've gotten an email that wasn't some kind of generated notification.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Also cloud native - I work in AWS all day or writing/fixing tooling to make it easier for others to work with AWS.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I work 100% in Azure atm, it's nice.

:same:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Posting for a friend. His company has this signature.

All information in this Communication, including attachments, is strictly confidential and intended solely for delivery to and authorized use by the addressee(s) identified above, and may contain privileged, confidential, proprietary and/or trade secret information entitled to protection and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, please take notice that any use, distribution or copying of this Communication, and/or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance upon it, is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this Communication in error, please notify the sender and delete this Communication from your computer.

Imagine seeing the same thing, but in both English and French

e:

Toutes les informations contenues dans la présente communication, y compris les pièces jointes, sont strictement confidentiels et destinés exclusivement à la livraison et l'utilisation autorisée par le(s) destinataire(s) identifié(s) ci-dessus, et peut contenir des informations privilégiées, confidentielles, propriétaires et / ou des secrets commerciaux ayant droit à la protection et / ou exempt de divulgation en vertu de la loi applicable. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez noter que toute utilisation, distribution ou copie de la présente communication et / ou toute mesure prise ou omise pour être fondée sur elle, est non autorisée et peut être illégale. Si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez en informer l'expéditeur et supprimer cette communication de votre ordinateur.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 10, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Our login screen has the IT policy disclaimer you have to click ok order to get in. It feels so much like one of those “FACEBOOK STOP! You don’t have my permission to use my photos” screeds and is completely useless.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

George H.W. oval office posted:

Our login screen has the IT policy disclaimer you have to click ok order to get in. It feels so much like one of those “FACEBOOK STOP! You don’t have my permission to use my photos” screeds and is completely useless.

It's not designed to encourage you to stop, it's there to prevent you from using "I didn't know the company had an acceptable use policy" as a legal defense.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

I started with Azure on a project but that went away once C levels saw the bill.

I'm now moving into a role where I'll be working with GCP but also Azure and AWS, just not as much as GCP.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I feel like most people just spin poo poo up in cloud not realizing you can cut the cost 60% by using reserved instances. Marketplace & On-demand instances are for suckers

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I am what you would call a "Cloud Janitor".

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Presently my work is mostly on prem, but I use a few cloud tools rather than platforms. I'm standing up a new vulnerability management program while we wait for our SIEM to get upgraded to allow us to more easily ingest O365 and Azure logs.

That being said, our infrastructure hasn't really moved to any form of hybrid Azure setup yet (beyond O365).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sepist posted:

I feel like most people just spin poo poo up in cloud not realizing you can cut the cost 60% by using reserved instances. Marketplace & On-demand instances are for suckers

Yeah, assuming you have some fairly steady-state workloads, it's a no brainer (and if you don't, go with spot instances!). People get scared of lock-in, but the savings are pretty crazy. We're not brave enough to go with 3 year RI's but 1 year is totally reasonable.

An old boss who was extremely anti-cloud would always make sure to use on-demand numbers in any pricing exercises. Yes, turns out the worst case scenario is bad! But it's also totally unrealistic and disingenuous. I was actually just checking out our RI numbers when you posted this. Our environment isn't even that big and they're saving us like mid 5 figures annually between EC2 and RDS.

You don't pick cloud for cost savings vs on-prem, but there are definitely pretty easy things you can do to make the difference less horrifying.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bonzo posted:

I started with Azure on a project but that went away once C levels saw the bill.

I'm now moving into a role where I'll be working with GCP but also Azure and AWS, just not as much as GCP.

Sepist posted:

Its the first thing I thought of when I read someone saying the bill was too high. If the bill is high, you are either over-sizing things, spinning up the wrong solution, or not being honest with yourselves about what your on prem spend is. And yes, if you have a bunch of static, pet servers and aren't reserving those instances you care kind of lighting money on fire you don't have to.

If you need something temporary or haven't right sized something yet, use the marketplace sparingly. If you have have static, pet servers be honest with yourself and reserve it. Spending 40% more because you don't want to commit is pretty laughable for most use cases.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

Imagine seeing the same thing, but in both English and French

e:

Toutes les informations contenues dans la présente communication, y compris les pièces jointes, sont strictement confidentiels et destinés exclusivement à la livraison et l'utilisation autorisée par le(s) destinataire(s) identifié(s) ci-dessus, et peut contenir des informations privilégiées, confidentielles, propriétaires et / ou des secrets commerciaux ayant droit à la protection et / ou exempt de divulgation en vertu de la loi applicable. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire prévu, veuillez noter que toute utilisation, distribution ou copie de la présente communication et / ou toute mesure prise ou omise pour être fondée sur elle, est non autorisée et peut être illégale. Si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur, veuillez en informer l'expéditeur et supprimer cette communication de votre ordinateur.

O Canada

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I dunno if this is the right place to ask. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. What do you sysadmin fellas use in terms of SAW/Jump boxes? I'm researching a bunch of different options and I'm just not sure which direction to go.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ehud posted:

I dunno if this is the right place to ask. Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. What do you sysadmin fellas use in terms of SAW/Jump boxes? I'm researching a bunch of different options and I'm just not sure which direction to go.

I despise jump boxes. Getting people to consistently design administrative duties around them for the desired level of security is a gigantic pain the rear end. Its like herding cats.

They have usually trended to be used inappropriately or not at all IMO. This is where I have always wanted an infosec team worth their poo poo to help monitor and police this poo poo but I haven't had one of those in forever.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tab8715 posted:

Curious,

I use AWS from time to time.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I’ve heard of this “cloud” but have yet to see it myself. We still have a big-rear end data center.

I’m interviewing with a team right now that will be moving a lot of things to Google cloud in the near future so I may be touching it for the first time pretty soon.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

I despise jump boxes. Getting people to consistently design administrative duties around them for the desired level of security is a gigantic pain the rear end. Its like herding cats.

They have usually trended to be used inappropriately or not at all IMO. This is where I have always wanted an infosec team worth their poo poo to help monitor and police this poo poo but I haven't had one of those in forever.

As an infosec guy, I love jump boxes :mrgw:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ehud posted:

I do all of my admin work in a Citrix VDI I have setup. It's not a security requirement at this time, it's just something I prefer to do for a couple reasons and makes my life easier.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Last job we had a client that used jump boxes, the environment we worked in was all windows so we just had an RDS farm that we connected to, had all the RSAT tools installed there and we could manage 90% of things directly from there. Again, it was all windows even the hyper visors, though I guess we had one linux appliance for their security team but my only management of that was deploying the OVA.

I guess there was network gear but that's pretty agnostic.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

As an infosec guy, I love jump boxes :mrgw:

:emptyquote:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

So I have official been on the job market for 3 days and have done two lunch interviews. I have been told I will receive an offer from one by Monday.

:yotj:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

So I have official been on the job market for 3 days and have done two lunch interviews. I have been told I will receive an offer from one by Monday.

:yotj:

Most fortuitous.