Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Everyone's favorite electric superhero (no, not that one. No, not THAT one, either) is returning for its third season on the CW tonight at 8/7 C. It's also joining the Arrowverse for the crossover event, Crisis on Infinite Earths, later this year. So there's that. Here's hoping it doesn't get hit by the "Season 3 curse" that plagues the rest...

TRAILER HERE!

Last time, some stuff happened. Tobias Whale is in their version of the No-Lunch Supermax, the Markovians are the looming threat, and Jefferson needs to shave. One of these is more important than the other.

Oh, and I didn't misspell 'lightning' in the thread title this time. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Man, they are going super hard on “gently caress Trump” this year. Like even harder than Supergirl tends to do.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah the kids in cages stuff is hardly subtle

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Man, they are going super hard on “gently caress Trump” this year. Like even harder than Supergirl tends to do.

Supergirl is very White Liberal (exemplified by Kara picking out Voldemort as the greatest fictional villain) while BL is almost Black Radical at times.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also good lord Bill Duke plays such and amazing slime ball.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
poo poo got real really fast in a way that's a thousand times darker and more cutting and more real than what the rest of the DCCW has done.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm trying to remember, do we know there actually are any drat Markovians?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bruceski posted:

:shrug:

The closest thing we've seen to them so far was that tiny cell/hit squad that attacked Lynn and the got dummied by Anissa. But even thay seemed kinda muddy.

This could just be one giant con by Odell, not gonna lie.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bruceski posted:

The defector that attacked was apparently part of the Markovians.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

The defector that attacked was apparently part of the Markovians.

"Apparently" being key. Defector didn't even say anything, that was just what the other guys claimed after killing him.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hahaha, I completely missed that the reporter Anissa hooked up with was named Jamillah Olsen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lala will never die!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also good lord Bill Duke plays such and amazing slime ball.

He is amazing in his role.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lala will never die!

It's nifty that what seemed like a one-off character at first has been looped back into things so much and is now his own wildcard.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Black Lightning is a year younger than me, JFC I'm old.

e: hosed up, he's a year older than me. I'm still old.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 9, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Besides the show being great in general, it also continues to have the best soundtrack on TV.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Laterite posted:

Besides the show being great in general, it also continues to have the best soundtrack on TV.

Jennifer going to town on Tobias's goons to Kimbra last year was loving transcendent :swoon:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bruceski posted:

The only way this plot isn't incredibly dumb is if the Markovian threat is made up by t he US government. Except it's still pretty dumb that all the characters are just uncritically believing it. Markovia is some tiny nation and the powers people in this show have are dangerous on a personal level but don't really have any large-scale or military applications. It's not like China getting control of Superman.

Seriously, what is the Markovian plan?
  1. Kidnap and brainwash metahumans.
  2. ???
  3. Profit?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

The only way this plot isn't incredibly dumb is if the Markovian threat is made up by t he US government. Except it's still pretty dumb that all the characters are just uncritically believing it. Markovia is some tiny nation and the powers people in this show have are dangerous on a personal level but don't really have any large-scale or military applications. It's not like China getting control of Superman.

2. ???
  3. Profit?

In a way, they're treating an individual meta like a small nuclear weapon. On its own, it can potentially destroy a city or kill oodles of people. It wont win any wars, but it's enough to be a National Security risk on its own. Multiple metas are now an arsenal and depending on their abilities, a more severe geopolitical threat. Terrorism is basically the name of the game in terms of fear factor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

In a way, they're treating an individual meta like a small nuclear weapon. On its own, it can potentially destroy a city or kill oodles of people.
Most of them can't do anything even close to that. I can't think of any in this show that are more dangerous (because of their powers) than an ordinary person with a gun or bomb.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Most of them can't do anything even close to that. I can't think of any in this show that are more dangerous (because of their powers) than an ordinary person with a gun or bomb.

The main character is probably a fine example, but the "Masters of Disaster" also make a strong showing. Hell, even the one who just died in the premier has a meta ability that every intelligence agency in the world would kill for.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Last season, Jennifer was about to overload the test chamber Gambi specifically said (iirc) could withstand a nuke so she's definitely a threat that Markovia would want to get (if indeed there is a Markovian threat)

Tiggum posted:

2. ???
  3. Profit?

I mean, that seems to be the US plan, basically...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

But what if you gave the meta soldiers a gun and or bomb? :aaaaa:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
"Odell, why is Issa dead?"
"Markovians."
"And how did the furniture move 5 inches to the left?"
"Markovians."
"And who touched the thermostat?"
"Markovians."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Aw poo poo! It’s Wayne Brady, son!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lala will never die!

He’s lowkey the best character on the show.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ruddiger posted:

He’s lowkey the best character on the show.

There's a lot of good characters on the show, but he's definitely one that's easy to overlook.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Welp. Looks like the Markovians are real.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I am so glad that not only is Lala back, he has his ghost murder victims crew with him.

But Khalil coming back is :negative: I really don't care about him at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am so glad that not only is Lala back, he has his ghost murder victims crew with him.

But Khalil coming back is :negative: I really don't care about him at all.

Khalil is there to give Jennifer something to do besides sit around the house alone while everyone else has a plot line this season and roll her eyes dramatically when other people are talking. Hopefully she actually gets to do something this year as Lightning.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Welp. Looks like the Markovians are real.
And they're doing the exact same high-tech mind-control "for the greater good" plot as Supergirl.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's the only good thing about this season so far.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

And they're doing the exact same high-tech mind-control "for the greater good" plot as Supergirl.

Nah, ASA is doing mind control stuff purely for making loyal and obedient super soldiers. Lena wants hyper-nonviolence implemented but everyone can still do as they want.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Nah, ASA is doing mind control stuff purely for making loyal and obedient super soldiers. Lena wants hyper-nonviolence implemented but everyone can still do as they want.

Except the first thing Lena did was use it to mind control Eve into being perfectly loyal and obedient to her.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Except the first thing Lena did was use it to mind control Eve into being perfectly loyal and obedient to her.

I want to say Eve is a special case, mostly in that is was particularly personal for Lena. To add, Hope is just occupying parts of Eve's brain. It's unknown is Eve is still in there in some form or fashion.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Lala loving rules

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

He's the only good thing about this season so far.

I don't know, I kind of find the saga of how captivity is kind of making Jeff lose it interesting.

Actually the whole of the Jeff/Lynn/Odell mind games thing I think is cool. I don't find Anissa's story interesting at all.

Lala does rule though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, I kind of find the saga of how captivity is kind of making Jeff lose it interesting.

Actually the whole of the Jeff/Lynn/Odell mind games thing I think is cool. I don't find Anissa's story interesting at all.

Lala does rule though

Anissa is basically turning terrible and at some point, there's either gonna be a sibling face off or another father/daughter fight.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I hope this season is tighter and more coherent.
My problem with the show is it's like they filmed a super hero show, a conspiracy show about the pods and a family drama all separate from each other.

Characters teleport around at will, costume and hair changes instantly. The three threads only randomly reference each other and major events get forgotten about quickly.

I only just caught up with the last third of season2. The lab got broken into, half a dozen staff killed, all the pods taken and no one gives a poo poo apart from occasionally wondering who did it.

The finale was so lame. The threat to the city was tell not show, and the way they took tobias out was a total anti climax.

Oh and they really need to stop with all the "my baby" "baby girl" poo poo

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 20, 2019

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Agent Odell is just spectacular at playing every side against every other side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Man they are really leaning hard into “magically appearing nano-tech supersuits” across the Arrowverse this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Fancy new suit :toot:. I'm gonna miss that big goofy neon lightning symbol.

Jen had a fantastic episode. Giving Anissa the dad speech(which worked too haha), her tour of the school and she finally got to do something with her powers.

howe_sam posted:

Agent Odell is just spectacular at playing every side against every other side.
:hmmyes: