Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'd feel bad for you but you willingly chose to play golos fields so you deserve everything you get and more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'd feel bad for you but you willingly chose to play golos fields so you deserve everything you get and more

You guys said I should! That and I couldn't seem to "not lose" playing anything else.

Eh whatever, I slapped together some mono-red jank with 15 mountains and no other land and I just won 4 games in a row in Gold. It certainly has more Wins Per Second (WPS) than fields.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
List of things Golos Fields can do:

- Benefit from being land flooded
- Generate board threats for free
- Ramp
- Be nigh impervious/unfazed to single target removal
- Run 4 colors without a draw back
- Cast a card draw/life gain spell that's pretty much uncounterable
- Run with impunity because most answers have been rotated out

Krasis being able to generate card draw from the cast point is ridiculous field decks would run it without the flample body. Fields being able to generate zombies without requiring at least one mana should have been caught in R&D. Even before Ali cracked the code people were pointing at Fields going uh oh.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, I played some RDW tonight instead of Golos field as well. I powered through from the top of plat 3 to diamond 4. With Golos field yesterday I slid from plat 2 to plat 3 and it seemed a lot harder than it had been prior to the 12 win eldraine event. I think that woke some people up. With RDW, instead of relying on lucky draws I was just almost always killing the opponent by turn 5. I almost never play aggro so it felt kind of stupid how easy it was but I assume a lot of people are trying to tune decks against field and it's just not helping them against aggro. I did see at least three mardu knights decks which was interesting although they're not as fast as you'd imagine.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
I mean it has to be a standard ban. Everyone is asking for it. They announced the emergency ban the day the MC decks were due for submission. The ban is the day after the MC.

If it's just a brawl ban I will LMAO

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I have 4 copies of Field, Krasis, and Golos but haven't crafted a Golos Field deck so I could get Eldraine rares from draft. Worth it to burn the rares and use it to ladder up to Platinum before Field gets banned?

Rexxed posted:

Yeah, I played some RDW tonight instead of Golos field as well. I powered through from the top of plat 3 to diamond 4. With Golos field yesterday I slid from plat 2 to plat 3 and it seemed a lot harder than it had been prior to the 12 win eldraine event. I think that woke some people up. With RDW, instead of relying on lucky draws I was just almost always killing the opponent by turn 5. I almost never play aggro so it felt kind of stupid how easy it was but I assume a lot of people are trying to tune decks against field and it's just not helping them against aggro. I did see at least three mardu knights decks which was interesting although they're not as fast as you'd imagine.

Deck list for your RDW? I played exclusively RDW on the ladder before rotation because it had fast games.

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 10, 2019

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Hi MtG goons. I am a recent HS transplant and want to get in to MtG. I haven't played Magic since University and even then I just dabled in it a bit with a mono black Rotlung Reanimate deck.
So I installed the client + played the tutorial through. Where do I go from here? Open my wallet and get busy?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

axeil posted:

Deck list for your RDW? I played exclusively RDW on the ladder before rotation because it had fast games.

I was trying out the first deck in this tweet that was posted earlier:
https://twitter.com/KanyeBestMTG/status/1182017967246254080

It's a little rares heavy so I subbed out one of the castles for another mountain. Since I hadn't played monored in a while I was surprised at how useful Slaying Fire is. Having it bump up to 4 damage when cast with red mana takes out a lot more stuff than you'd think. Cavalcade decks may be a little bit cheaper but this seems good, well, as good as any red aggro.

Torbran is expensive to craft but his effect is pretty amazing. I had more than one time when opponents didn't account for the +2 damage when I attacked with a fervent champion and lost a blocker for nothing.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
For the jank lovers, Mengu was playing this mono blue self mill Phoenix deck https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2361609#paper

It sucked but it's pretty cool. The goal is to mill yourself and between the 4 pheonixs and 4 creeping chills you should setup lethal around turn 5. Rei Sato was also playing a similar deck but I don't have the list.

Edit: I might give it a go if I have all the cards, definitely not worth crafting.

salt shakeup fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 10, 2019

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rexxed posted:

I was trying out the first deck in this tweet that was posted earlier:

It's a little rares heavy so I subbed out one of the castles for another mountain. Since I hadn't played monored in a while I was surprised at how useful Slaying Fire is. Having it bump up to 4 damage when cast with red mana takes out a lot more stuff than you'd think. Cavalcade decks may be a little bit cheaper but this seems good, well, as good as any red aggro.

Torbran is expensive to craft but his effect is pretty amazing. I had more than one time when opponents didn't account for the +2 damage when I attacked with a fervent champion and lost a blocker for nothing.

Torban is really necessary for this deck so if you absolutely need to cut rares take out the rare lands and replace the Fervent Champion with Gingerbrutes as a hasty 1-drop.

Slaying Fire is outstanding in a lot of matchups but especially in simic because simic players still have not noticed that red now have a 4 damage instant that can respond to an end step wolf.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Who the gently caress makes a Rock reference and then posts a red deck

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zoux posted:

Icon of Ancestry in a Boros Knights deck but how do you argue with that rank

With those Boros Knights sometimes it feels that people grind with tier decks to mythic and then just gently caress around with jank to post screenshots

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 10, 2019

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

MRLOLAST posted:

Hi MtG goons. I am a recent HS transplant and want to get in to MtG. I haven't played Magic since University and even then I just dabled in it a bit with a mono black Rotlung Reanimate deck.
So I installed the client + played the tutorial through. Where do I go from here? Open my wallet and get busy?

You don't really need to spend a lot on Arena, depending on what you want to do on there. I personally spend about $20-40 per new set now (about 3 months?). $20 if I needed additional gems for prerelease events, and $20 for the mastery pass. It'll take you a while to build up your collection but at least it's close to free to play.

If you play MTG Online, that's different and will require spending initial money. Yes, there's two different clients--Arena and Online. The grind on MTG Online feels better to me imo because you get better formats, real drafts, and can end up selling your tix. But I stick to Arena right now so I can just play casually with occasional ranked grinding.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

MRLOLAST posted:

Finish the mastery track and get all the mono-colored + guild decks. Apparently if you play the guild decks without modifying them, the play queue will try to match you against similar decks so you won't be completely blown out. You'll probably have to work very hard to get to gold with any of them, but they all decently well made and show how each guild is "supposed" to be played.

After that it's all about trying to make grinding deck that lets you do dailies and earn gold. If you want to spend a little money, the mastery pass is a very good deal.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Thanks , guess I will poke around to see what I want to do and then buy the stuff I need. Also I am not really bitten by the bug yet and is mostly looking for a replacement for Hearthstone.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MRLOLAST posted:

You don't have to spend anything if you're patient. I put in a few hours each weekend to do all the quests and I have 160 packs worth of gold at the moment.

If you like mono-black with graveyard recursion there's some cool stuff right now like this thing where you cook cats into pies and then other cats rise from the dead to eat the pies, and somehow you win.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

In the highest level of competition you say

i mean, where are you having success with it because I haven’t seen it in the top 100 at all. I’m open to it being good I just want to know where

Time fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 10, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Torban is really necessary for this deck so if you absolutely need to cut rares take out the rare lands and replace the Fervent Champion with Gingerbrutes as a hasty 1-drop.

Slaying Fire is outstanding in a lot of matchups but especially in simic because simic players still have not noticed that red now have a 4 damage instant that can respond to an end step wolf.

Instead of Gingerbrute use Tin Street Dodger, a card that is harder to block and works with Torbran.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

MRLOLAST posted:

Thanks , guess I will poke around to see what I want to do and then buy the stuff I need. Also I am not really bitten by the bug yet and is mostly looking for a replacement for Hearthstone.

The following promo codes can be redeemed in the store for 3 packs of each set:

PlayM20
PlayWarSpark
PlayAllegiance
PlayRavnica
PlayEldraine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/OndrejStrasky/status/1182309086609711110

The Czechs are piling again...

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Blue Green Self-Mill that can also beat down a passive opponent. Seems fun!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Looks fun, but I'm guessing stan won't be saving standard this time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's also got super secret spicy tech for MCV that he's witholding

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
oh we're doing the standard metagame challenge in the middle of being flooded with bant golos, okay

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Reality Sinner posted:

Who the gently caress makes a Rock reference and then posts a red deck

THANK YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Lone Goat posted:

Instead of Gingerbrute use Tin Street Dodger, a card that is harder to block and works with Torbran.

Doh! Yes, Dodger instead.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Why does Massacre Girl exist? Is it to prevent people from having fun playing aggro, and force them to buy shock lands? Is it because some MTGA dev thought Defile was such a fun spell in HS that it needed to be in MTGA too, and kill indestructible creatures too?

I can't play my monored in peace anymore. Having trouble getting to Mythic with aggro, most of my collection hosed off to Historic and I'm really annoyed at the current meta and the fact that most decks are orders of magnitude more expensive than their pre-Eldraine counterparts.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kawabata posted:

Why does Massacre Girl exist? Is it to prevent people from having fun playing aggro

Yes

Kawabata posted:

and force them to buy shock lands?

Believe it or not many people don't like mono only decks

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kawabata posted:

Why does Massacre Girl exist? Is it to prevent people from having fun playing aggro, and force them to buy shock lands? Is it because some MTGA dev thought Defile was such a fun spell in HS that it needed to be in MTGA too, and kill indestructible creatures too?
That's not how MTGA development works

That's not a very good card

That's not a reference to Defile, it's a reference to Last Laugh, which plays off the whole Rakdos jester/clown thing

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Doltos posted:

Believe it or not many people don't like mono only decks

Oh I believe it and I love decks with more land types but man we suddenly got from monou and rdw being tier 1/tier2 decks and barely costing 4-8 rares to all mono decks being expensive and waaaay weaker than Bant, Golgari, Simic and whatever other pseudo-jank deck you can build with the best control cards. I'd rather not burn 1/4 of my rare and mythic wildcards to build Golos but if this goes on I guess I will.

Healing is also everywhere for...reasons? and matches are longer than they used to be. Even with aggro.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kawabata posted:

Oh I believe it and I love decks with more land types but man we suddenly got from monou and rdw being tier 1/tier2 decks and barely costing 4-8 rares to all mono decks being expensive and waaaay weaker than Bant, Golgari, Simic and whatever other pseudo-jank deck you can build with the best control cards. I'd rather not burn 1/4 of my rare and mythic wildcards to build Golos but if this goes on I guess I will.

Healing is also everywhere for...reasons? and matches are longer than they used to be. Even with aggro.

I don't get what you want here. Bant, Golgari, and Simic, even Golos doesn't have that many more rares than any other deck. Usually jank drains my wildcards more than anything else.

Also you're saying that you should be rewarded for spamming RDW? That there shouldn't be counters to a deck that's literally called Red Deck Wins? It sounds like you're mad that people are countering your easy deck and you can't pick up auto-pilot wins.

If you want to play other decks you have to burn wild cards. It's just the way it is. WotC runs a business they don't necessarily want nothing but free to play players. In fact they've offered a really nice alternative in Arena where you can generate those cards pretty quick and for free.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Games take longer with aggro because there aren’t any aggro decks doing well right now. Maybe someone is able to meta game the MC with something but it’s looking increasingly unlikely. The only hope is that golos gets so inbred trying to beat the mirror that it abandons the things that shut aggro out

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Kawabata posted:

I can't play my monored in peace anymore. Having trouble getting to Mythic with aggro, most of my collection hosed off to Historic and I'm really annoyed at the current meta and the fact that most decks are orders of magnitude more expensive than their pre-Eldraine counterparts.

It's similar but not identical to defile, legendary, and five mana. It's like if Godfrey was half as strong and 9-10 mana. Massacre girl is honestly not very good at all.

Playing aggro right now what pisses me off more is how easily three and four color decks are playing kayas wrath and time wipe on curve with the lovely mana we have. I'm literally losing games as a two color deck because I can't get double black mana by turn 4 and these cocksuckers are doing murderous rider into time wipe on curve.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Time posted:

Games take longer with aggro because there aren’t any aggro decks doing well right now. Maybe someone is able to meta game the MC with something but it’s looking increasingly unlikely. The only hope is that golos gets so inbred trying to beat the mirror that it abandons the things that shut aggro out

It's the most boring and hostile meta to a) new players, b) returning players (like me), c) people who don't want to spend too much money.

Yeah Doltos I get it about Wotc business but I had almost every relevant deck complete before rotation and now I can't redeem my old useless cards, collection is gone, and trying to accumulate stuff by actually playing the game (which, while not opposed at all to spending money, I like best) is frustrating and much slower than before. Monored, monoblack and even rakdos aggro have all felt like like poo poo so far and it feels the game is actually telling me to play big dumb control decks or get hosed. I'm not even close to Mythic with more than twice the games compared to the last time I climbed.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Who are you even playing against that plays massacre girl? It's the worst board wipe vs Golos because it doesn't work by itself, and there aren't any good aggro decks right now. Maybe mono white or black but that's more tier 2.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kawabata posted:

It's the most boring and hostile meta to a) new players, b) returning players (like me), c) people who don't want to spend too much money.

Yeah Doltos I get it about Wotc business but I had almost every relevant deck complete before rotation and now I can't redeem my old useless cards, collection is gone, and trying to accumulate stuff by actually playing the game (which, while not opposed at all to spending money, I like best) is frustrating and much slower than before. Monored, monoblack and even rakdos aggro have all felt like like poo poo so far and it feels the game is actually telling me to play big dumb control decks or get hosed. I'm not even close to Mythic with more than twice the games compared to the last time I climbed.

Yeah that sounds like you're mad that you can't autowin with RDW anymore.

The current control decks are real tough but since the inception of MTG:A aggro decks were running the meta. Aggro decks haven't been running the meta since Eldraine came out (little less than two weeks ago) and you're acting like it's a big gently caress you to you specifically. New players have always been gated behind cards which is why they gave them a ton of precons to play with now. Returning players should have had enough cards to flesh out a deck by now with their wildcards or their own brews. Players who don't want to spend money shouldn't be catered to, especially in a CCG.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kawabata posted:

Why does Massacre Girl exist?

To massacre, of course. It is her only calling in life.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

A Moose posted:

Who are you even playing against that plays massacre girl? It's the worst board wipe vs Golos because it doesn't work by itself, and there aren't any good aggro decks right now. Maybe mono white or black but that's more tier 2.

I think massacre girl is floating around in the sb of Golgari adventure as a 2x.

Also, don't pay attention to Kawabawa. He left in a huff eariler in the thread, and now he's upset about being behind on content, now that he's slipped a bunch of sets. It's not worth it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It feels like the lack of decent aggro is allowing these multicolour piles since having lands come into play tapped isnt punished

Also lol at the fact that while standard is ruined Eldraine might be the best limited set ever, except the bots are also completely jacked up for drafting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kawabata posted:

The most boring and hostile metas are the ones where the game always ends on turn 4, if RDW is the best deck in the format that means it's loving garbage.

Sorry you can't face roll to mythic any more and have to actually interact with your opponent.

Also the best deck in urge format only uses 9 cards from the new set, and you probably have that many wildcards by now if you actually had "almost every relevant deck" before rotation.