Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kawabata posted:

Thanks, after Doltos saying 30 minutes games are the best and no CCG should ever cater to people not wanting to spend money I felt the thread needed a good post.

Didn't say 30 minutes or anything like that you're obsessed. And of course they shouldn't cater to people who don't want to spend money, that goes without saying.

You have some really weird concept of what's hard or not to accomplish in CCGs. Hearthstone and MTG are both designed to get you to mythic with a 60% win rate. We've all hit Mythic. I've hit it running an Abzan brew. We all hit Legend in Hearthstone. You literally just had to spam zoo for the longest time and grind. The fact that you had to put in a qualifier about how well rounded your life is without anyone asking makes me feel like you're not that well rounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lone Goat posted:

The most satisfying game of constructed I've played this season was dance vs golos, where I won because they had 6 cards left in their deck and none of them were lands so they conceded. I was not milling them.

I'd rather play five 20 minute games than twenty 5 minute games.

Dance vs Golos is one thing but the Golos mirror is actual torture to play.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm running on the unity ticket of "actually, it's bad for either mindless caveman decks or dual lands to be too strong". Please donate to my campaign.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

AngryBooch posted:

Much better devs than WotC's nascent in house team have wrestled with trying to make a Unity Engine game with good performance and failed.

It's going to keep getting worse as the game gets bigger.

Seriously no point in spending 1500 gems on events when poo poo like this keeps happening.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Astonishingly I'm playing games of MTGA perfectly fine on my phone, using Moonlight to stream the game from my home PC, even over the data plan. The only problem is that you can't directly tap and drag the cards, you have to move a cursor around and double-tap-hold to drag cards. I think there's a way to make a AutoHotKey script to emulate the clicking, but I'm still figuring that out because apparently no one has thought to try it yet.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AnEdgelord posted:

Dance vs Golos is one thing but the Golos mirror is actual torture to play.

Golos outside of a mirror isn't fun to play either. I don't even get that sort of sinister glee that I get when I play like Turbofog or Control. It's just slamming lands down and occasionally playing a card that gets more land.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zero VGS posted:

Astonishingly I'm playing games of MTGA perfectly fine on my phone, using Moonlight to stream the game from my home PC, even over the data plan. The only problem is that you can't directly tap and drag the cards, you have to move a cursor around and double-tap-hold to drag cards. I think there's a way to make a AutoHotKey script to emulate the clicking, but I'm still figuring that out because apparently no one has thought to try it yet.

I am very interested in this if it can become extremely usable. I tried doing this over wifi at work but it was way too slow. That might because I have a surface pro, though.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

So, after playing a ton of games with this deck, here's my mostly final list for mono G stompy.

4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
3 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
3 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger (M20) 199
3 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
23 Forest (XLN) 276

I went from gold 4 to diamond 4 last season, and gold 3 to platinum 1 this season so far with it, so a fairly decent number games, all BO1. It plays pretty well against the field. Your worst match ups are other henge decks, since they're just as beefy as you, but more tilted towards the midgame. Esper Dance is very good on the play and very bad on the draw. Everything else you're generally positive against, though not amazingly so. It's pretty good against simic flash and mono red. Tends to wreck fires decks pretty hard. If they stabilize, one hasty threat is probably enough to finish them off, which is generally true for a lot of decks looking to generate recurring value like cats or adventures. You're dropping so much beef every turn, that their value engines tend not to matter a whole lot. The myriad of decks looking to goose into Oko are a marginally bad match up on the draw, and a pretty decent match up on the play.

Kraul harpooner is very good in BO1 right now, shooting down geese, sailors, phoenixes, and whatever other nonsense fliers happen to be annoying in addition to randomly giving you a GG great henge.

Lovestruck Beast is super awkward, but I've slotted in a ton of different stuff, and can't find a better option. The very unimpressive case of 1 mana 1/1 and 3 mana 5/5 defender add up to more than the sum of their parts. Their versatility is extremely valuable, and occasionally they beat face. That 5/5 that can't attack may look super bad from your side of the board, but your opponent has to consider that you might drop a 1/1 into play at anytime.

The deck was running growth chamber guardian, but paradise druid allows for much more aggressive play, in place of the card advantage of guardian, and that's generally where you want to be in most marchups.

Quoting from a while back. I really enjoy this deck. Straightforward but still has moving parts and choices to make. Stomps pretty hard but I don't feel like I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Edit:
Lol on mtggoldfish Massacre Girl is $0.03 online / $0.53 paper. Seems really cheap for such an utterly powerful card to start a multi-page discussion about.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 10, 2019

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Massacre Girl Golos Field deck when

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

You try steamlink?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Huxley posted:

You can't even goldfish a T5 kill right now.

T1 scorch spitter
T2 Rimrock knight, attack with ss = 18
T3 Bone crusher giant, attack with ss and rk = 13
T4 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, attack with ss (6), rk (5) and bg (6) = opponent at - 4.

Torbran is pretty nuts in RDW. If Torbran was slaying fire instead the opponent would be at 1 life on T5, and die to scorch spitter ping.

It's very possible to goldfish a T5 kill in this format.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The Sean posted:

I am very interested in this if it can become extremely usable. I tried doing this over wifi at work but it was way too slow. That might because I have a surface pro, though.

While I suck at MtG I am an expert in game streaming. I set up a lot of things to optimize it:

- Streaming PC is at home, on ethernet, and with FIOS internet (1000/1000mbit fiber, that's overkill of course but the 1ms latency to my work ISP the main benefit)

- Streaming PC uses a headless HMDI adapter (search Amazon)

- Streaming PC uses an RTX 2080. The RTX series streams in HEVC h.265 which halves the required bandwidth, and the encoding latency is much better than the 10-series

- Streaming PC is on Dynamic DNS (free service with the Asus RT-AC68U router) so I don't have to guess IP to connect

- Phone is an Asus Rog Phone 2, which has a 120hz OLED screen (though I only stream at that framerate when on Wifi) and it has the lowest touchscreen latency of any phone in existence

It is funny to pull out my phone and an Xbox controller at a friend's house and play stuff like the Resident Evil 2 remake with no perceptible latency and tell them it was ported to Android and have them completely believe it.

zoux posted:

You try steamlink?

Not sure how that would be relevant as I'm streaming from my home to my phone when it is on wifi/data. However, the Steam controller would be a fairly ideal controller for the phone since it can function as a trackpad.

Huxley posted:

You can't even goldfish a T5 kill right now.

I am fairly certain that Calamity decks can goldfish a T4 with Scorch Spitters and Chandra's Spitfire from hell

edit: yeah: T1 Scorch Spitter, T2 Cavalcade (3 damage total), T3 Spitfire (6 damage total) and T4 Scampering Scorcher (34 damage total)

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 10, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kawabata posted:

Still very perplexed about the state of monored and monou. Or lack thereof for the latter.

That's because mono blue hasn't been a deck in Standard for almost a decade but you only started playing Magic via MTGA and somehow consider yourself an expert

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Drewjitsu posted:

T1 scorch spitter
T2 Rimrock knight, attack with ss = 18
T3 Bone crusher giant, attack with ss and rk = 13
T4 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, attack with ss (6), rk (5) and bg (6) = opponent at - 4.

Torbran is pretty nuts in RDW. If Torbran was slaying fire instead the opponent would be at 1 life on T5, and die to scorch spitter ping.

It's very possible to goldfish a T5 kill in this format.

Also works, t1 scorch spitter, t2 cavalcade attack =17, t3 cavalcade scorch spitter = 13, t4 torban for the kill.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oh sweet I hit mythic early enough in the season that I got a numbered rank and not just a percentage for the first time. #510 with... Golos Field, of course.

Veib fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 10, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eej posted:

That's because mono blue hasn't been a deck in Standard for almost a decade but you only started playing Magic via MTGA and somehow consider yourself an expert

Lol Mono blue was a deck like 4 months ago

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Golos outside of a mirror isn't fun to play either. I don't even get that sort of sinister glee that I get when I play like Turbofog or Control. It's just slamming lands down and occasionally playing a card that gets more land.

counterpoint: there's nothing funnier than playing against someone with unmoored ego, ashiok, and shitloads of discard conceding to your 8/8 hydroid krasis

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Yes the implication is that he played Mono Blue before rotation and is wondering why it doesn't work anymore when Mono Blue is a very rare Standard archetype but all of his Magic experience is from 4-10 months ago but thanks for making me explain it!!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

As someone who really liked the concept of Massacre Girl and tried super hard to make it work to no avail, lol at the guy who thinks it's overpowered.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eej posted:

Yes the implication is that he played Mono Blue before rotation and is wondering why it doesn't work anymore when Mono Blue is a very rare Standard archetype but all of his Magic experience is from 4-10 months ago but thanks for making me explain it!!

you're welcome for my questioning of your statement!!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Eej posted:

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

hahaha

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Oceanbound posted:

Seriously no point in spending 1500 gems on events when poo poo like this keeps happening.

If you put in a support ticket they refund the gems, at least they did for me.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hey he meant the 10 years BEFORE the last year which was clear in his language because

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also wasn't Monoblue a thing in Theros, a far cry from a decade ago?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

little munchkin posted:

counterpoint: there's nothing funnier than playing against someone with unmoored ego, ashiok, and shitloads of discard conceding to your 8/8 hydroid krasis

Golos is fun to play against other decks in the same way that its fun for some people to pull the legs off of insects but its not worth it for horrorshow that is the mirror. Its like pulling teeth.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't think I can keep playing in a Standard with Golos Fields

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Long back and forth games with tonnes of decisions is the way magic should be played. Fight me nerds.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kin33 posted:

Long back and forth games with tonnes of decisions is the way magic should be played. Fight me nerds.

Sometimes I just really want to turn some big boys sideways

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Not sure how that would be relevant as I'm streaming from my home to my phone when it is on wifi/data. However, the Steam controller would be a fairly ideal controller for the phone since it can function as a trackpad.

The steam link app will stream your pc to you phone and has a slick phone interface so you can just click and drag cards.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Sometimes I just really want to turn some big boys sideways

I rely on people like you. My fetish is getting value out of board wipes.

Also, gently caress Golos Field. It'd be a really fun and cool deck if it was just the jank it should be, but it looses its charm as the most oppressive deck in the format.

Kin33 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 11, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zero VGS posted:

While I suck at MtG I am an expert in game streaming. I set up a lot of things to optimize it:

- Streaming PC is at home, on ethernet, and with FIOS internet (1000/1000mbit fiber, that's overkill of course but the 1ms latency to my work ISP the main benefit)

- Streaming PC uses a headless HMDI adapter (search Amazon)

- Streaming PC uses an RTX 2080. The RTX series streams in HEVC h.265 which halves the required bandwidth, and the encoding latency is much better than the 10-series

- Streaming PC is on Dynamic DNS (free service with the Asus RT-AC68U router) so I don't have to guess IP to connect

- Phone is an Asus Rog Phone 2, which has a 120hz OLED screen (though I only stream at that framerate when on Wifi) and it has the lowest touchscreen latency of any phone in existence

This is cool. Thank you for taking the time to share. You're ahead of me, though, since I suck at both MtG and streaming.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Network42 posted:

The steam link app will stream your pc to you phone and has a slick phone interface so you can just click and drag cards.

Ahh, I see what you mean now. There's a piece of hardware called Steam Link, but then Valve in their brilliance also made a mobile app called "Steam Link", which does not require a Steam Link; only a phone and PC.

I just tried it out, and on Wifi it works perfectly. There is an input mode called "Direct Cursor" which works like what I was trying to get Moonlight to do. I just put my finger and drag the cards around. It actually feels like a mobile app. The only UI element I don't like are "Attack All" and "No Attacks" are right next to each other and easy to fat-finger, not that I did but if I were walking around then I might.

On 4G from my phone with wifi off, Steam Link App did some wizardry to figure out how to connect to the PC. It did reconnect, but with no video (smartphone screen was black, but moving my finger around on it, I could see the cursor move on the PC). The problem is it was reporting 78% packet loss. I immediately closed the app and opened up the Moonlight streaming app, and that streamed fine on the 4G with minimal packet loss.

So, Moonlight still seems to have the edge when playing over mobile data. Steam Link is much better when playing on (local, and possibly remote) wifi because of the Direct Cursor mode. I'll see what else I can uncover, but so far it is promising.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kin33 posted:

What decisions are Golos fields players making exactly?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
They just announced a new Un set and said it is "available online"... I assume they just mean you can buy physical cards online, but it would be sick if they made all the cards MTGA compatible (i.e. nothing where you have to reference real-life player attributes).

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-unsanctioned-2019-10-10

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Bust Rodd posted:

What show to watch as the deck pilots itself.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't think I can keep playing in a Standard with Golos Fields

i remember i got called a pussy bitch whiner in this thread like 5 days ago for this very take haha

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

land sequencing, sweeper timing, whether to roll the dice with golos or make the reliable play of the stuff in your hand. it's got the same decision points as any other deck you're just a lot more likely to win at the end

most matchups get completely braindead once your late game is setup but the mirror is wild and you gotta do a lot of work to get ahead when both sides have a huge wall of zombies

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zyla posted:

i remember i got called a pussy bitch whiner in this thread like 5 days ago for this very take haha

Solidarity :hf:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

land sequencing, sweeper timing, whether to roll the dice with golos or make the reliable play of the stuff in your hand. it's got the same decision points as any other deck you're just a lot more likely to win at the end

most matchups get completely braindead once your late game is setup but the mirror is wild and you gotta do a lot of work to get ahead when both sides have a huge wall of zombies

Play a wish board, have tectonic rift, win mirror. :v:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Acknowledging standard is bad and bitching about it are two different things. The appropriate mindset to find inner peace while playing Magic is just to accept when the game sucks and either stop playing or internalize it and deal with it with a quiet dignity samurai style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also dispute “playing a land AFTER I wrath instead of before” being a decision of land sequencing and more a check whether or not you can read.

I will say that deciding whether or not to activate Golos could be a difficult decision but it’s been pointed out many times that Golos would be just as dominant if he only had the first ability, at least when I was playing Golos it felt like I absolutely never needed to use his big ability unless I had actual zero cards in hand.

Either way the impending ban of Field of the Dead will hopefully allow the format to reshape into something less homogenous.

In general any standard where the best deck is “5-color Good stuff control” is a bad format, going ALLLLL the way back to Cruel Control in Lorwyn. Playing a 5-color deck is supposed to have massive downsides that offset the ability to play anything, Golos fields has absolutely none of those weaknesses.