Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I can never get entirely comfortable with the first-person stealth in Arkane games. The FoV always feels smaller than it should be no matter how wide I set it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

New Leaf posted:

stable duty, air patrol, and weed pulling.
group bonding activities are food
revolving door of dinner dates.
Have like a group fishing outing, or a sparring activity, or horseback riding, or seasonal activities,

Still, an absolutely stellar game.

I dunno, that sounds awful. In a tactics game with relatively shallow combat, they really decided what it needed was tedious between-mission fetchquests and dating sims?
I mean, drat. I thought previous FE games were dull already. That just sounds tedious.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Eclipse12 posted:

I dunno, that sounds awful. In a tactics game with relatively shallow combat, they really decided what it needed was tedious between-mission fetchquests and dating sims?

People loved that poo poo in Personas 3 through 5, and if anything I'm surprised more games haven't added that sort of thing onto whatever their root gameplay mechanic is.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

quote:

The only problem with Prey is too much drat backtracking

Yeah, that was one of the biggest issues for me, combined with the aggressive respawning of enemies. I'd run out of ammo, go back to the nearest crafting station, build myself a hundred shells, go back to where I was exploring, and by the time I'm back where I started I already used up most of the ammo I had just made.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pastry of the Year posted:

People loved that poo poo in Personas 3 through 5, and if anything I'm surprised more games haven't added that sort of thing onto whatever their root gameplay mechanic is.

It's honestly a pretty good structure for mixing in some character moments and low-pressure content into a game that'd otherwise be really focused on Big Stories and high-pressure gameplay, and that's true of both Persona/Shin Megami Tensei and Fire Emblem. Without something to provide levity and direct character interaction both of those series can be pretty loving stressful and high-stakes, and the classic Fire Emblem method of support conversations wasn't really doing the job for lightening that.

I personally don't think Three Houses really pulled off the formula in a way that works for it, though. Because for Persona it serves to bolster that core gameplay, it's got its own mechanics and progression that mesh with the RPG stuff to change up your playstyle and options in interesting ways. But Three Houses far as I can tell (I haven't played the game) kinda just treats it more like a town in a traditional JRPG or something; basically just a fancy and flavorful way to get some linear upgrades (in this case including units, because strategy game) that don't really change how you play. You need to put a bit more into it to make it worthwhile.

...Also, giving the series about Literal War an Anime High School component doesn't, I think, lead to the most cohesive end product in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBYEEHItjrI

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The problem with those systems is they're generally pretty restrictive so early on you find anything you can do to squeeze out more benefit in the same timeslot, whether it's grinding until your SP is completely diminished in Mementos in P5 or doing battles that don't require time to be spent* in Three Houses, and by the late game you're so overpowered and bored you're fast forwarding through every time-spending activity you can to get to the next actual plot beat or battle.

*I understand WHY the option is there, but by god this is a dumb thing to have in Three Houses. I think if all side battles required a time chunk and the game maybe started you with two instead of one for battle days it would resolve at least a PART of the issues with the Monastery in 3H, forcing you to make actual decisions and maybe spend some free days on extraneous battles for XP and gold. As it stands, you can always take on as many extra missions as you want whenever you go out for paralogues and it's dumb. I only have time to sing at choir three times on Sundays, but we can go and fight literally limitless numbers of battles?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Eclipse12 posted:

I mean, drat. I thought previous FE games were dull already. That just sounds tedious.

It's not as frivolous as all that really, but it does feel tedious over time.. There's a Motivation system, and the more Motivation someone has the more training outside of battle they can receive. In previous Fire Emblem games, if you wanted like a mage to get better at Lance to unlock a subclass, you'd have to force it to fight with a Lance in battle, which is probably going to get them killed. In this game, you can put them through training sessions to get skill XP without any risk to life and limb. The food thing is literally going up to the cafeteria lady, seeing what's on the menu, and picking 2 people to join you who enjoy that meal. You get 1 line of dialogue from each of them, or maybe a unique short scene if they're friends or whatever, and that's that. Motivation up, on to the next. It makes more sense than previous games where you can only have meaningful conversations with people in the heat of battle.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

The problem with those systems is they're generally pretty restrictive so early on you find anything you can do to squeeze out more benefit in the same timeslot, whether it's grinding until your SP is completely diminished in Mementos in P5 or doing battles that don't require time to be spent* in Three Houses, and by the late game you're so overpowered and bored you're fast forwarding through every time-spending activity you can to get to the next actual plot beat or battle.

*I understand WHY the option is there, but by god this is a dumb thing to have in Three Houses. I think if all side battles required a time chunk and the game maybe started you with two instead of one for battle days it would resolve at least a PART of the issues with the Monastery in 3H, forcing you to make actual decisions and maybe spend some free days on extraneous battles for XP and gold. As it stands, you can always take on as many extra missions as you want whenever you go out for paralogues and it's dumb. I only have time to sing at choir three times on Sundays, but we can go and fight literally limitless numbers of battles?
they don't require time chunks on normal?? all the battles cost time on Hard, that's idiotic lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they don't require time chunks on normal?? all the battles cost time on Hard, that's idiotic lol

I spent two hours doing the grind-fights some month early on because 10 hours in I had played the actual game for one hour and just wanted to mess with the combat for a while.

This broke the difficulty even more than just using all your High School Time already does lmao

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The harder/more lucrative ones do take a time chunk, but there's usually one lower-tier one that does not.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I was playing on Normal and I could only do two per week

New Leaf posted:

The harder/more lucrative ones do take a time chunk, but there's usually one lower-tier one that does not.

That makes sense, I usually didn’t bother with them outside of paralogues

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The lower-tier one will keep getting re-rolled after you complete it, it's not like "just one" it's "just one is available at a time".

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I don’t really like games where you have to choose between leveling up two stats that tend to do the same thing. If I’m given the choice between upgrading my defense vs my max HP I feel like either one choice would be objectively better but have no way to know which, or the choice doesn’t matter and I waste time trying to figure it out.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

food court bailiff posted:

The lower-tier one will keep getting re-rolled after you complete it, it's not like "just one" it's "just one is available at a time".

Right, but they still take one of your time units so you can only do 3 fights a week at most.

Normal mode removes the cost to let you grind forever if you really want, but on any other difficulty you have finite fights to work with.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yeah I got to the point where I was benching my stronger dudes during some non-story fights just to make them more interesting.

One other low-point is that there is a "romance" in the game but it's literally one of the last things you can do. The first time I married Edelgarde, but I felt like I should have married Dorothea so I did that on NG+, but they show an anime still of whoever you choose at the end and in a different style than their portraits are throughout the rest of the game, and bot of theirs looked nothing like they're supposed to.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are games with good and bad scaling/progression, outside of Oblivion?

Dying Light has great progression. As you progress through the game both your damage output and enemy health increase, but it's not 1:1. You begin unable to kill a common zombie in less than a dozen whacks, by the end of the game you can behead four zombies in a single swing of your BBQ katana.

Borderlands tends to break down in New Game+ as your Shields are practically nonexistent. Some skills get left in the cold and it gets hard to follow the action when the damage-numbers get so silly.

Hollow Knight really pissed me off when they patched in a Boss-Rush that's extremely hard and repetitive, and not optional if you want one of the game's endings. It's something only 5% of players who even beat the game would appreciate. There was supposed to be a new upgrade-system to compensate but it was cut during development. As a result the skill-floor of this already hard game is raised astronomically high if you want to try this content. I know it's petty but sometimes a DLC/ Update can dilute the experience by its mere presence, like if you ordered a carbonara and the waiter plants a Mars Bar slap-bang on to your crowded plate.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

moosecow333 posted:

I don’t really like games where you have to choose between leveling up two stats that tend to do the same thing. If I’m given the choice between upgrading my defense vs my max HP I feel like either one choice would be objectively better but have no way to know which, or the choice doesn’t matter and I waste time trying to figure it out.

This is me in Diablo 3 with paragon points. Health vs Armor vs Resist All... easiest to just spread the points evenly and not try and figure it out

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In WoW originally each zone was intended for a certain level range. Enemies had static HP and damage, rewards had static stats, etc. Too low a level and you couldn't pick up any quests and your attacks would miss all the time, too high and the quests and enemies would give you trivial amounts of XP and the rewards would be useless.

This wasn't a particularly bad approach but it did mean that replaying content got repetitive. In the base game there were only a handful of zones appropriate for a given level range and in the expansions there was often only 1 or 2.

In one of the recent expansions scaling was introduced, with each zone having a minimum and a maximum level and a roughly constant difficulty within that very broad range. Instead of a zone being meant for level 25-30 it could be done by anyone from 25-60.

There were issues with the implementation (some enemies were tuned poorly, and the overall levelling rate was slower) but it was a really good idea to get more use out of content and meant less time travelling between zones because you were outlevelling them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm playing the first GBA Fire Emblem right now and it's so much better because I don't have to set through 2 hours of anime chatting for each half hour of gameplay

I liked Three Houses but jesus christ

The Radiant Duology is still the peak of the series for me. The thing dragging them down is I'd have to break out my Wii or an emulator to play them.

Snake Maze posted:

Right, but they still take one of your time units so you can only do 3 fights a week at most.

Normal mode removes the cost to let you grind forever if you really want, but on any other difficulty you have finite fights to work with.

Given how easy the game was on hard I can't even see what the point of infinite grinding on normal would be. And I'm not trying flex here, I'm not especially good at Fire Emblem. Stuff like Hector Hard mode kicks my rear end to the point that I lose interest after one level. Three Houses is just an easy, easy game.

CJacobs posted:

The Surge 2 is one of my favorite games that came out this year but man the parry system needed more time in the behind-the-scenes oven. I just did a bunch of testing and the parry frame window seems almost random. Sometimes it's around 15. Sometimes it's 7 ish. One time I missed a parry on frame 4. This in addition to the system where repeated parry attempts during the same block reduce your frames even further means it always feels like I'm doing it wrong even when I get it right.

I really liked the parry system for enemies who only took one parry to stagger. For bosses/minibosses that have tricky animations and take 3 or 4 parries to stagger it's waaaay better to just equip armor/regen gear and bulldoze through them. I'm halfway through NG+ and the strategy is only getting more effective.

I will say the game is a straight up mechanical improvement from The Surge, which I really liked, but the story is definitely a letdown in comparison.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Oct 11, 2019

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

The Moon Monster posted:

The Radiant Duology is still the peak of the series for me. The thing dragging them down is I'd have to break out my Wii or an emulator to play them.

There's a few games that are sorta 'trapped' on the Wii that I'd really love to play on something else. I really do want to play Ike's Fire Emblem games because I've heard nothing but good things, but they're on a platform I no longer have access to. There's also the Metroid Prime Trilogy of course (come on, Nintendo, figure it out), and I honestly kinda wish I could give the Wii Zelda games another chance.

Yeah, I know Twilight Princess HD was on the WiiU, but that doesn't exactly help me, as a person who no longer owns either console, to play it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

There's a few games that are sorta 'trapped' on the Wii that I'd really love to play on something else. I really do want to play Ike's Fire Emblem games because I've heard nothing but good things, but they're on a platform I no longer have access to. There's also the Metroid Prime Trilogy of course (come on, Nintendo, figure it out), and I honestly kinda wish I could give the Wii Zelda games another chance.

Yeah, I know Twilight Princess HD was on the WiiU, but that doesn't exactly help me, as a person who no longer owns either console, to play it.

I don't really know what a good strategy for this is, there's dozens of games I'd love to have on current gen, but at the same time you could waste incredible time and effort just rereleasing an ever-increasing pool of classics each time the new console comes out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Apparently what’s messing up the Metroid prime trilogy is 3’s stupid motion controls, but I would think the switch could handle them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Apparently what’s messing up the Metroid prime trilogy is 3’s stupid motion controls, but I would think the switch could handle them.

Apparently the joycon does have pointer controls that would probably be good enough for the aiming, but the thing I'd consider the snag for Prime 3 would be the nunchuck's motion controls, which it uses for the grapple lasso. That combined control style isn't something you can cleanly transfer over to a new console. Especially if they want to cater to different playing styles; remember that the Switch Lite confirms there's people who would have absolutely no ability to play detached, which you'd need for that control style. You'd basically have to restructure the whole game's controls to be widely playable on the Switch.

Skyward Sword has similar issues; so much of the game is based around the Wii Motion Plus, and even if the joycons can match up to that (I don't know) you're making a game not playable to a lot of the console's playerbase. And of course you can't just ditch those motion controls entirely, because you've got a whole bunch of enemies and bosses built around them. With both of those games you probably have to review and rebuild huge chunks of the control scheme.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In WoW originally each zone was intended for a certain level range. Enemies had static HP and damage, rewards had static stats, etc. Too low a level and you couldn't pick up any quests and your attacks would miss all the time, too high and the quests and enemies would give you trivial amounts of XP and the rewards would be useless.

This wasn't a particularly bad approach but it did mean that replaying content got repetitive. In the base game there were only a handful of zones appropriate for a given level range and in the expansions there was often only 1 or 2.

In one of the recent expansions scaling was introduced, with each zone having a minimum and a maximum level and a roughly constant difficulty within that very broad range. Instead of a zone being meant for level 25-30 it could be done by anyone from 25-60.

There were issues with the implementation (some enemies were tuned poorly, and the overall levelling rate was slower) but it was a really good idea to get more use out of content and meant less time travelling between zones because you were outlevelling them.

I always thought this was weird in-universe, like the wolves in the Elfdick Forest can't even hurt me, but the nearly identical looking wolves in the Bearass Mountains will devour even the most seasoned warrior.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

New Leaf posted:

I always thought this was weird in-universe, like the wolves in the Elfdick Forest can't even hurt me, but the nearly identical looking wolves in the Bearass Mountains will devour even the most seasoned warrior.

Also demon lord Humongolax the Godfucker in Outland could get one-shot by a Kobold Leghumper a few zones into the next expansion. He drops a soul-consuming greatsword powered by a collapsing star, which will eventually be replaced by a board with a nail in it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The thing about control is that it’s made for you to always be moving, shooting, and using psychic crazy poo poo. It feels like you should take cover, but that’s a terrible idea. The Hiss suck at hitting moving targets and drop health every time they get hit, not just when they die, so always be running around like a meth addled rabbit and shooting throwing forklifts at things.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr Christmas posted:

Also demon lord Humongolax the Godfucker in Outland could get one-shot by a Kobold Leghumper a few zones into the next expansion. He drops a soul-consuming greatsword powered by a collapsing star, which will eventually be replaced by a board with a nail in it.

Well that's just science, innit

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Hollow Knight really pissed me off when they patched in a Boss-Rush that's extremely hard and repetitive, and not optional if you want one of the game's endings. It's something only 5% of players who even beat the game would appreciate. There was supposed to be a new upgrade-system to compensate but it was cut during development. As a result the skill-floor of this already hard game is raised astronomically high if you want to try this content. I know it's petty but sometimes a DLC/ Update can dilute the experience by its mere presence, like if you ordered a carbonara and the waiter plants a Mars Bar slap-bang on to your crowded plate.
Yeah, Hollow Knight is a masterpiece, but the horrifically hard boss rush mode keeping you away from endgame content/finishing your Hunter's Journal is super dumb.

Bayonetta 2
fixes basically all the BS from the first game and is fantastic in its own right. Seemingly subtle tweaks to the core combat design upset some dweebs, but I figured they were being babies while playing on Normal. Unfortunately, once I unlocked the Infinite Climax top difficulty, it became clear that they were right! Bayonetta 1, for all its awful jankiness, scales its enemies reasonably and the fights are generally fair. Bayonetta 2's IC is a failure that feels as though it went through no playtesting.

Bayonetta 1 was designed so that Witch Time was not necessary and IC turned it off. For better or worse, Bayonetta 2 did not take that approach, and there are numerous encounters that are nigh unbeatable without Witch Time. This works OK on Normal, but on IC, enemies have massively bloated health pools, are much harder to stun, and constantly throw out unavoidable combo breaking parries. Not even launching enemies into the air and juggling them from behind will stop them from parrying. Enemies also attack quicker and telegraph their attacks far less than in the first game. As a result, certain foes on IC basically cannot be combo stringed even with dodge offsets (the mechanic that lets you continue a combo after dodging) and can barely be scratched outside of Witch Time. Worst of all, Bayonetta's pistols and just about her entire arsenal can't keep up with the bloated health and anti-combo mechanics; you are all but forced to use Salamandra (the chainsaws) against tough enemies, and they are nowhere near as fun as her other weapons. The whole mess is laid bare by comparing the Bayonetta 1 Jeanne fights against Bayonetta 2's Lumen Sage fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7CMMDQBjGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeW0seVIcUw
That's like, the least cheesy way to beat him on IC. Attacking him head on makes him go Super Saiyan and he'll just block and dodge it all anyway.

Whatev has a new favorite as of 07:02 on Oct 11, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

It's not as broken as Oblivion but the scaling in Skyrim made the game very dull to me. The level of enemies you could encounter was based on your overall level character level, which meant you could end up fighting dirty cave bandits wearing magical god armor because you spent too much time grinding potion making and pickpocketing.

Overhaul mods that remove level scaling like Requiem are straight up mandatory for me, now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just got Links Awakening on switch the other night and oh man, I thought people were exaggerating on the frame rate problems, but they are not. Also it looks like the edge of the screen is smeared in vasoline.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just got Links Awakening on switch the other night and oh man, I thought people were exaggerating on the frame rate problems, but they are not. Also it looks like the edge of the screen is smeared in vasoline.

:chloe:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dying Light has great progression. As you progress through the game both your damage output and enemy health increase, but it's not 1:1. You begin unable to kill a common zombie in less than a dozen whacks, by the end of the game you can behead four zombies in a single swing of your BBQ katana.

Really? Maybe I was playing the game wrong, but I had the complete opposite experience. I started out being able to kill common zombies with two headshots, by the end of the game doing that took me at least as long, except that there were now also a bunch of other zombie types that took way longer to kill. Fighting zombies was a total slog and by far the main thing dragging the game down for me.

I would have put it in a list of games with awful progression, interesting how our experiences can be so far apart.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I don't think I ever had any trouble dispatching common zombies in small numbers at any point, but I also treated the game more like a stealth title, where any combat beyond the absolute minimum is a consequence of poor use of the environment/inventory, so I was gaining powerful weapons much faster than they broke.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I ended up never really using the weapon crafting system after the initial bit because the weapons always seemed to get outclassed by normal drops very quickly and i had more fun dropkicking zombies.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah, this bothers me too. In a high enough level in Diablo 3, even a simple swarm of bugs has literally billions of HP. Judging by how little damage the NPC soldiers do to it, it could kill every human on the planet and they wouldn't even be able to stop it.

Also, why the hell don't your followers keep any sort of pace with enemy scaling? Their attacks are worthless late game.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Those barrel puzzles in the Last Guardian really sucks:
"I have an idea for a puzzle!"
"Go on..."
"We could make the player have to throw barrels around platforms to feed Trico."
"Sounds interesting. Maybe we could make it so the barrels are heavy enough so the player can't jump with them but also make them bouncy enough to behave like basketballs?"
"Way ahead of you, we also made the aim as lovely as possible so that it would feel like its completely random where it lands."
"Excellent! Better make sure there's more than one of those puzzles though!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think you'll find the frame rate isn't a problem at all because it's an adorable Zelda title and anyone complaining has something wrong with them

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Len posted:

I think you'll find the frame rate isn't a problem at all because it's an adorable Zelda title and anyone complaining has something wrong with them

Frame rate stuff typically doesn’t bother me at all, so the fact I’m noticing it is pretty bad. It should just run at 30 on handheld mode, since the chugging is apparently just it switching from 60fps to 30fps constantly. I’d rather have lower, stable fps than higher and unstable.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Phlegmish posted:

Really? Maybe I was playing the game wrong, but I had the complete opposite experience. I started out being able to kill common zombies with two headshots, by the end of the game doing that took me at least as long, except that there were now also a bunch of other zombie types that took way longer to kill. Fighting zombies was a total slog and by far the main thing dragging the game down for me.

I would have put it in a list of games with awful progression, interesting how our experiences can be so far apart.

I mean, at level nine you get a skill to headkick a zombie climbing up to a higher level and it instantly one-shots them and their heads explode, and you can spam it fast as gently caress. Or even at level one, throw firecrackers into a pile a few times and they'll swarm it, then throw a molotov and kill like 30 of them at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

also crafting is very important to making weapons way stronger, and a headshot is what usually instantly kills normal zombies once you do that. Smacking anything other than the head doesn't really help.