Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

there was a girl who posted somewhere saying she liked doa the best because all the women are high powered ceos of multinational corporations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
More women CEOs, more women assassins. Hillary Clinton DLC when?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'm dumb, can someone explain if you can implement GGPO with 3D fgs?

3d isn't a problem, but a lot of things that basically happened along with 3d are and make implementing GGPO far from trivial. Basically, to use a peer-to-peer rollback model you have two requirements.

First, your game must be deterministic, ie the same input must lead to the exact same mathematical outcome on both machines for everything that affects gameplay. Well, fun fact: floating point math (basically a core part of any modern game engine) isn't deterministic on PC most of the time! That's because different processors do it in different ways, different compilers and interpreters do it in different ways to the extent that doing the same operation twice may not actually lead to the same bit of compiled code on the same processor (let alone crossplay). There's an IEEE standard that's been devised for floating point determinism but 34 year after its inception you'll still need a specialized engineer to get most programs to actually follow it. Or you code everything using integers or fixed point math (fixed point numebrs are integers in disguise) but then none of the premade components or math from unreal engine, unity or really any modern 3d engine can be used and you have to roll out your own modules for everything gameplay-related (not to mention you also need to coax your engine to run at a fixedframe rate, which UE and Unity just aren't designed for in the first place so that requires extra work).

Second, your game must be able to quicksave on each frame, and possibly quickload and replay about ten frames worth in the duration of a single frame. And that's actually not as easy as it appears! Modern engines, again, just aren't built for that use case, and make you go from designers using visual scripting to needing specialized programmers to recode everything in super tight code. The first obvious step is to separate gameplay code from graphics code but that's also where you learn that's just not how it works out of the box in Unity and UE (in fact as a coding-in-code kind of programmer currently learning UE as a hobby it just makes me mad how intertwined everything is).

Not to say that it can't be done, because obviously there are more and more games that do it. But your game has to be built around GGPO, instead of slapping GGPO on top. It took netherrealms between 4 and 12 engineers for the better part of a year to get it working, and that's not because of netherrealm jankiness, that's because it's super tricky. It works great for emulators because fulfilling the determinism and snapshot requirements is basically just a thing emulators do (and, well, emulators for simpler platforms. You won't quite be able to pull it off on RPCS3), but the whole "now there's no excuse" thing is mistaken because GGPO is just the transport layer and you need to implement the other layers yourself, which is no small undertaking. There's probably good money to be made for a middleware company that'd provide GGPO-optimized UE/Unity base classes for rollback systems.

Chev fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 10, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I can usually identify the most popular characters in a fighting game even if it's one I don't play but the whole DOA roster is one huge blur to me.

You don't know Marie Rose, sister of classic Sonic character Amy Rose?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pleasantly surprised to be learning about game coding in the fighting game thread.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Doa's insistence that all female characters are between like 19 and 25 (+1000 in one case) ends up with like Lisa having 10 PhDs and successful super science and lucha libre careers by age 24. Like you can just make then older, KT. Nobody's going to bat an eye at that for a good half of them.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

chumbler posted:

Doa's insistence that all female characters are between like 19 and 25 (+1000 in one case) ends up with like Lisa having 10 PhDs and successful super science and lucha libre careers by age 24. Like you can just make then older, KT. Nobody's going to bat an eye at that for a good half of them.

Most Japanese men would rather die than admit that they are sexually attracted to a woman over the age of 25.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

There's literally a nickname for women over 25 of "Christmas cake" because "no one wants it after the 25th."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone in japan is 83 years old

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Truly a land of contradictions.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ultima66 posted:

There's literally a nickname for women over 25 of "Christmas cake" because "no one wants it after the 25th."

And I never stop hoping that every idiot who pushes it trips and snaps their dick off.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

vanessa from kof is a used up old hag

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Ultima66 posted:

What the gently caress send me your uneaten cake you morons.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

no one could be attracted to this

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The "hotness expiration date" leads to weird poo poo like Hilda in UNIST. You mean to tell me she's supposed to be 19? Okay, sure.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crocoswine posted:

no one could be attracted to this

I used to volunteer at a retirement home and can confirm that a lot of the grannies looked like this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crocoswine posted:

vanessa from kof is a used up old hag

Dias posted:

The "hotness expiration date" leads to weird poo poo like Hilda in UNIST. You mean to tell me she's supposed to be 19? Okay, sure.

On the official KoF site if you look at the all the character profiles there's some really cool info at the end of each direct from the developers or/and the individual most responsible for that character about what their deal was/how they came up with the character/what their goal was with designing the character/etc.

With Vanessa it was like we though it would unique to have an older woman in a fighting game, and like, I found that humorous when I first read it because the character's 30. But I guess outside of Power Instinct they were actually right that it makes her unique.

Like, Leona, Leona was 26 when her character first appeared in '96, then around KoF 2000 they de-aged everyone like ten years (without changing the sprites of course), and even after that time passing in the story she's now canonically 18 (but 16 in Japanese KoF stuff!). It's such a bizarre disconnect.

In conclusion:

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

What the gently caress send me your uneaten cake you morons.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Speaking of netcode, with Steam having announced Remote Play Together I'm wondering how that'll hold up for games which have lovely netcode design. It's obviously not going to beat Skullgirls but I've played enough bad games (like the Umineko fighting game) that almost anything could be better.

Plus it opens up the avenue for online multiplayer for games like PC Catherine which only have local versus. I haven't used Steam's remote play too much so I don't have a strong enough gauge for how much input latency it's going to introduce, plus the additional overhead it takes to encode the video and send it downstream.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 11, 2019

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Will Remote Play Together work for games that are not from Steam as well? Would like to test some weird poo poo online, like Schwarzerblitz if that's the case cause my GPU is too old for Parsec.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

Will Remote Play Together work for games that are not from Steam as well? Would like to test some weird poo poo online, like Schwarzerblitz if that's the case cause my GPU is too old for Parsec.
That's a good question. I think it should work? I was thinking that it would require Steam to feed inputs to a non-Steam supported game which might be weird, but since remote play works with non-Steam games already that problem seems to be already taken care of.

Considering the beta is only for games that are marked as local co-op or what not there might be more going on behind the scenes.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The reason why women and gay people (a lot of DOA players are gay) like DOA is because the game """""isn't real""""" so no one was gatekeeping it. A woman at the tekken cab in the arcade is going to get harassed. A woman at home playing the best version of the game on console isn't. That's my theory

CRISPYBABY posted:

So which one are you?

i like the game

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

FZeroRacer posted:

Speaking of netcode, with Steam having announced Remote Play Together I'm wondering how that'll hold up for games which have lovely netcode design. It's obviously not going to beat Skullgirls but I've played enough bad games (like the Umineko fighting game) that almost anything could be better.
Interestingly enough, apparently Umineko punchfight was upgraded to rollback netcode at some point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

The reason why women and gay people (a lot of DOA players are gay) like DOA is because [just look at this handsome dude hot drat]

:v:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bass is the beefest beefcake

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Y'all into some basic rear end white dudes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

This guy looks like if you photo shopped Kiryu's face onto one of the supernatural boys.

This is awful, this isn't even yaoi hot.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

Rig sucks. Vacation Gen Fu for life

It makes sense women would like DOA, since it's a solid game and the main characters are women.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
DOA was a home console release, so it was more accessible anyway, and it wasn't anywhere as titillating back in the day as it is today while still featuring girls as the protagonists.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dias posted:

Hey man, if we had a FF fighting game (No shut up not Ehrgeiz) I'd be talking up Raubahn hard.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nobody ever respects noisy boy Jann Lee.

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Or Zack. DOA2 in the alien suit, all day every day.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

Most Japanese men would rather die than admit that they are sexually attracted to a woman over the age of 25.

Well now I know why the female Tekken character roster is so hosed up.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the christmas cake thing has died out pretty hard as a thing people actually say, a magazine said it about a celebrity a few years back and had to issue an apology and the dude got fired. it's still somewhat a sentiment but it's not so codified.

Ofc the real reason is that video games and anime targeted at turbonerds are going to have the worst versions of issues like that. there's plenty of, like, manga, about adult women, but that's because manga is made by one or two people, published by a magazine that can also be pretty small, and sold in bookstores at a relatively low cost. And also because adult women (and 'normal people' in general) read manga way more than they play video games or watch anime since it's cheaper and less time investment, and again there's more of the kinds of stories they'd be interested in.

so its less a 'most japanese men' thing, though that is somewhat an issue, and more of a 'the things you are interested in basically self-select for that kind of audience.' of course when stuff does have an older woman in a prominent role they're often fairly popular even among nerds just because they're unique, so maybe the real issue is what 60 year old japanese executives think nerdy guys want, and not what the audience actually wants.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

anime fighting game but instead of the girl chars being of questionable age they're all 30+.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crocoswine posted:

anime fighting game but instead of the girl chars being of questionable age they're all 30+.
the actual umineko visual novel/manga/etc has like 4 middle aged moms in it but only one of them is playable in the fighter

otoh rosa is the coolest character in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVUpk0i0yZ0

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Crocoswine posted:

Golden Girls Melee when?

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
DOA is cool but Marie Rose mains are pedophiles, every one of them.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
when the hell is samsho coming to pc

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Arcella posted:

DOA is cool but Marie Rose mains are pedophiles, every one of them.

A line from the fisticuffs that Best Friends did ages ago for DOA5 always gets a dumb smile out of me when I remember it/see her, like "Marie Rose's character select should just be her holding up her driver's license."

Live Free posted:

when the hell is samsho coming to pc

Should be around same time as switch last I ever saw, which is coming december.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Yardbomb posted:

Marie Rose's character select should just be her holding up her driver's license.

jesus lmfao