Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

slothrop posted:

The Scotland - Japan game is going ahead, this is the one that has the most on the line.

This game is just going to be decided Sunday morning if it's going ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some of the stadiums have roofs. They can just play until they're torn off.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

They’re the wind of the gods bringing victory to Japan m8

I'm fully on board for a Scotland victory.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
If Japan wins then we will have a Ireland-NZ cracker of a match and a repeat of 2015 Japan vs. South Africa, it's really the best you can ask for out of those two pools.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

goatface posted:

Some of the stadiums have roofs. They can just play until they're torn off.

It would make the kicking game way more interesting.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

BabyFur Denny posted:

If Japan wins then we will have a Ireland-NZ cracker of a match and a repeat of 2015 Japan vs. South Africa, it's really the best you can ask for out of those two pools.

If Japan beats both Ireland and South Africa and then loses in the Semis I think they would be the moral victors of the world cup.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I don't understand why they can't move the games to where they are playing Canada vs Namibia and Australia vs Georgia and play in front of an empty stadium.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Come on Scotland!

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

slothrop posted:

arent the two games that were cancelled essentially dead rubbers anyway? The Scotland - Japan game is going ahead, this is the one that has the most on the line.

Technically no. For the Italy-NZ game, if Italy had a bonus point win (lol) and NZ didn't get a bonus point (also lol), then Italy would make the quarters at the cost of NZ. The winner of the England-France game would be first in their pool, but both teams have already qualified so who comes first and second isn't so important. That's just what was mathematically possible though, I don't think Italy would have had any real chance at beating the All Blacks.

sleep with the vicious posted:

I don't understand why they can't move the games to where they are playing Canada vs Namibia and Australia vs Georgia and play in front of an empty stadium.

That game is in Shizuoka, which is between Tokyo and Toyota (where the NZ-Italy game was supposed to be) and right in the path of the typhoon. The only reason the Aus-Georgia game is going ahead is because it's today before the typhoon will hit. I agree though, surely they could have organised alternative venues for this kind of thing.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

quote:

The decision to cancel matches has not been taken lightly and has been made in the best interests of public, team, tournament personnel and volunteer safety, based on expert advice and detailed weather information. While we have extensively explored all options, public and team safety was our utmost priority

Ok World Rugby now have your experts explain why moving a match to an alternate venue is a risk to team, tournament personnel, and volunteer safety.

e: and if they're actually concerned about people traveling while the typhoon is around surely they should cancel/close door/postpone every match on Saturday not just the Tokyo ones

e2: now there are reports they offered to hold NZ-Italy on Monday but NZ declined :11tea:

runoverbobby fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 11, 2019

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

runoverbobby posted:

e2: now there are reports they offered to hold NZ-Italy on Monday but NZ declined :11tea:
How so very dare Hansen opt to forgo a dead rubber that would mean that the All Blacks would have a reduced turnaround time between tests going into the knockout rounds, not to mention a risk of injury.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Vagabundo posted:

How so very dare Hansen opt to forgo a dead rubber that would mean that the All Blacks would have a reduced turnaround time between tests going into the knockout rounds, not to mention a risk of injury.

It wasn't true anyway.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Weird that the British press would make up a story to slander the All Blacks.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

It wasn't dead.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
I think the entire country would riot

https://twitter.com/TheACCnz/status/1182452379335049216?s=20

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

They were playing Italy. It was a dead rubber.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
May as well just have put NZ straight into the quarters then, with that attitude.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Put Scotland straight through as well, Japan have never beaten them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
put france straight through to the finals

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I need this to happen.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

May as well just have put NZ straight into the quarters then, with that attitude.

Should be America’s cup rules imo.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Italy have an exactly 0% chance of taking a game off NZ but that's not the point. It's laughable to have a tournament where you cancel a match that is technically critical to qualification. If the Scotland match does get cancelled I hope they sue the poo poo out of the governing body and then Italy follow suit.

Imagine if SA had beaten NZ in a reverse score of what actually happened (not impossible at all) and Italy went through with the cancelled game, eliminating NZ. This is basically the same scenario on the technical level.

Flayer fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 11, 2019

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sue them for what? To gain what?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

There has to be a stadium not at risk of being blown away they can relocate to. Chuck the players in a coach and play they game with no audience.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Sue them for what? To gain what?

Refund the costs of going to the world cup? At least in part. It seems fair that teams get to play the games they've been scheduled to play and that the IRB make every effort to do that, but it seems they're happier to just say the game must be played on this day in this place, which being the case they should not have scheduled the World Cup during typhoon season.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

More evidence god is Welsh

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Georgian defence is decent so far and I think they're being sensible going forwards by running down Pococks channel so has to make the tackle.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
C'mon Georgia!

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work
Aus seem to be playing upright as all get out, even in defense.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Should be America’s cup rules imo.

Everyone in boats?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That was a pretty harsh call of tackling a player without the ball, you might as well call it as obstruction by the aussie.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
maybe it's time to drop Italy from the 6N and replace them with Georgia

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

This could make things interesting.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Georgia just dont have any kind of attack at all.

Slumfrog
Feb 14, 2012

BORN TO SLAY
forced to work

Aramoro posted:

Georgia just dont have any kind of attack at all.

Run straight and fall over is technically an attack. But yeah, offense doesn't seem to be their strongest aspect.

Mind you Aus ain't looking terribly coherent going forward either. Lots of scrappy stuff

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Slumfrog posted:

Run straight and fall over is technically an attack. But yeah, offense doesn't seem to be their strongest aspect.

Mind you Aus ain't looking terribly coherent going forward either. Lots of scrappy stuff

Yeah I expect a bit more from the Aussies, the conditions are poor but Georgia have turned them over 6 times now which would be bad over a whole match.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

BabyFur Denny posted:

maybe it's time to drop Italy from the 6N and replace them with Georgia
They're definitely too good to be playing at the level they're currently playing at. They've won 8 of the last 10 "6 Nations B" tournaments, and 6 of those wins were grand slams.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Aw, was hoping Georgia could keep that going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
If Georgia's line out was anything other than horrific they might still be in this.