Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

For anyone curious about Big Dave's ratings

an excerpt posted:

The main event was perhaps the worst main event in pro wrestling history where the fault doesn’t at all lie in either of the competitors. They worked hard. They didn’t miss spots. They didn’t work a boring style. But between the tinting of the visual, the overly long match, the babyface who the crowd was rejecting more-and-more and a finish that can’t be explained, it’ll likely win worst match of the year, in a year where Undertaker and Bill Goldberg seemed to have that clinched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Big Dave was generous as gently caress with the stars there even.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Vince's celebrity chasing has always just been the saddest thing

From last page, but I agree with this entirely, and would like to add that WWE rarely goes after celebrities that are actual wrestling fans. They go after "celebrity of the week", or whoever they can get. So instead of getting someone who cares about wrestling, and would be excited to be there, they get dead eyed b listers treating it like another press junket as they smile and wave and awkwardly say their lines.

It's why when actual cool and fun celebrity/wrestler interaction happens, (I am thinking the Hugh Jackman match where he teamed with Zack Ryder), it is the exception rather than the rule.

And speaking of awkwardly saying their lines: Whilst I know it's because they are all written by Vince 5 minutes before air time, but one would think that with the amount of turnover that WWE has in writing staff, we would have seen a bunch of different writing styles over time, or at least noticed when their is a change in the writing room. Instead we have a generic house style, both of promos, interviews, and booking/storylines that no matter who is in the writing/booking room, always reeks of a "good poo poo".

Related question, years ago I once knew a couple of writers for a TV sketch comedy show, and they said that they got paid depending on how many of their sketches made it to TV. Is it the same with WWE writers? So therefore does Vince throwing away your scripts not only demoralise you and hurt your feelings, but also hurt your earnings?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno about "no fault lies with either of the competitors", Seth was a putz and Bray looked pretty much completely unengaged and his bumping was godawful.

Can I blame him for that? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Machine Gun Kelly and Kevin Federline both totally owned, they should swim in the white rapper pool more. Hell, it's the gimmick that launched their biggest recent star!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Anon was the best Raw GM ever.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Hugh Jackman was the best guest host.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Seams posted:

Hugh Jackman was the best guest host.

Bob Barker

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
poo poo, Meltz was being too kind to the HIAC main event. It’s probably the worst match of the decade and I wanna put Bray Wyatt/Fiend in the same metaphorical dumpster I put Zack Ryder in.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think just being a main event on the scale that it was, and ending the show in boos and chants for another company it's gotta be right up there with the worst. Maybe one of the lucha companies has done worse but if so, I haven't seen it and the level of overproduction at HIAC is pretty unmatched.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

For anyone curious about Big Dave's ratings

I like that if you reverse the order of the matches (not counting preshow) it builds to a solid card with a great main event.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The most embarrassing hell in cell match since the one with all the dogs humping and making GBS threads, and not nearly as entertaining.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
that was a KENNEL from hell match and is not canon!!!!

chinesemethdragon
Sep 6, 2009
favorite celebrity guest host will always be rob zombie for saying like four things and making a face at edge then bailing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's going to be cool for all the celebs to visibily not give a poo poo and make fun of the product.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jackie D posted:

Bob Barker

Jericho coming in mad at Barker but then being co-opted into the game show and starting to have a good time in spite of himself as he started winning absolutely ruled :allears:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Riding the high off the fiendish hell in a cell match, Vince books a match to determine the number one draft pick. A match between a wrestler that has a brand title, and a wrestler that does not have a brand title. That's not how any of this works!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Armitage posted:

poo poo, Meltz was being too kind to the HIAC main event. It’s probably the worst match of the decade and I wanna put Bray Wyatt/Fiend in the same metaphorical dumpster I put Zack Ryder in.

Ryder is capable of having a good solo match. I mean, it was almost a decade ago and with Christian, but it was good.

The only semi-decent solo match Wyatt has ever had was on the Hardy Compound and required extensive editing. Otherwise he's the drizzling shits.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Tato posted:

Ryder is capable of having a good solo match. I mean, it was almost a decade ago and with Christian, but it was good.

The only semi-decent solo match Wyatt has ever had was on the Hardy Compound and required extensive editing. Otherwise he's the drizzling shits.

Daniel Bryan Royal Rumble

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Remember the ring of fire match though

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Between the abysmal showing last weekend, lack of Attitude-era guest stars to draw in lapsed fans and the first pitch of NLCS game 1 being thrown at 8:08 PM tomorrow night, how hard are the ratings for Smackdown on Fox going to tank in week 2? On par with Dynamite's decline this week or worse? (It's going to win the 18-34 demo; probably the 18-49 demo as well, but I think the total viewer number is going to see a sharp decline.)

chinesemethdragon posted:

favorite celebrity guest host will always be rob zombie for saying like four things and making a face at edge then bailing

My favorite celeb GM was Criss Angel, whose big MIND FREAK of the night was "Not slamming his hand through a knife." I'm still loving furious about this almost a decade later.

(Gotta respect Ken Jeong for being willing to take a bump and getting concussed in the process. Also Sharlto Copley for playing along to plug the A-Team movie when Bradley Cooper peaced out after the first 5 minutes and Liam Neeson couldn't be bothered to make even a Titantron appearance.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Daniel Bryan Royal Rumble

Well yeah, but AmDrag can drag a good match out of a literal corpse.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

JethroMcB posted:

My favorite celeb GM was Criss Angel, whose big MIND FREAK of the night was "Not slamming his hand through a knife." I'm still loving furious about this almost a decade later.

His Vegas show opens with a 20-minute preview video in which some announcer voice guy tells us repeatedly how cool Criss Angel is, and how lucky we are to see Criss Angel, and how he's way better than every magician who isn't Criss Angel, and here are a bunch of newspaper headlines about how awesome Criss Angel is.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I can't believe that Undertaker and Bill Goldberg also happened this year. They will have the Worst Match of the Year awards all locked up.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Seth/Corbin match with Lacey as the heel ref will only be the second worst WWE match of the year, would not have guessed that at the time.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Tokamak posted:

Riding the high off the fiendish hell in a cell match, Vince books a match to determine the number one draft pick. A match between a wrestler that has a brand title, and a wrestler that does not have a brand title. That's not how any of this works!

Why can't Roman be the standard bearer for Smackdown? Just because he was only sent there randomly in the shake-up a few months ago and they immediately invented a brand-split-destroying rule to justify having him never stop appearing on Raw? Poppycock!

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Ya'll, it's to get Roman cheered. They're counting on the heat from the cell match to get Roman cheered loudly solely to spite Seth.

My guess is Roman is facing the Rock at Mania, and at some point Rock is going to win a title on Smackdown TV.

JitteryComa
Nov 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/TheBarrylad/sta...362635737731072

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This loving looks like one of Abroham Lincoln's faceswap posts :wtc:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/WWEonFOX/status/1182522400300097536

Eat My Fuc posted:

Ya'll, it's to get Roman cheered. They're counting on the heat from the cell match to get Roman cheered loudly solely to spite Seth.

My guess is Roman is facing the Rock at Mania, and at some point Rock is going to win a title on Smackdown TV.

You say this like people haven't multiple times before happily just decided to turn on a Roman match entirely if they happen to hate the other guy in it. GRANTED, I don't think the crowd has ever hated anybody Roman's gone up against quite as much as Sacramento hated Seth.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

A bit weird to base the Rock's look on his appearance as the Scorpion King in The Mummy, but that's their call.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Jerusalem posted:

This loving looks like one of Abroham Lincoln's faceswap posts :wtc:

i actually showed that tweet to a friend earlier today, who said it looked like miz cosplaying as the rock

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus Christ did The Rock and Jason Statham have a teleporter accident on the set of Hobbs and Shaw? :gonk:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Okay this was good :lol:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

it sucks that the rule was created but it was beyond anyones control

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Unit lost.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Good God, it was only five months? I could've sworn it's been like this a year.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

El Generico posted:

Good God, it was only five months? I could've sworn it's been like this a year.

Someone in a thread last week or so was talking about the back-shaving stuff with the Revival and Usos being last year and I was like.... buddy, that was a few months ago.
Raw is so bad it warps time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CobiWann posted:

Unit lost.

The wrestling gods show no mercy. Amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Moon is out with a leg injury and will not be part of the draft.