Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Randaconda posted:

Imagine Brad Armstrong with Brian's charisma :allears:

That's Bullet Bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Tazz and Lawler had a decent strap match although I'm biased as Raven made his debut in this match.

Speaking of Raven: I remember back when he came to WWF in 2000 there were rumours that he was going to be revealed as the mastermind behind Right To Censor and that he was also going to be part of the backstory between Undertaker and Kane. I can't find a single person who remembers either of these things being discussed.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Randaconda posted:

Imagine Brad Armstrong with Brian's charisma :allears:

So Buzzkill then?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Max Coveri posted:

So Buzzkill then?

Yeah, just like that, except the complete opposite of that!

Russo had a lot of bad ideas, but turning WCW into a giant WWF parody was among the most baffling.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Tazz and Lawler had a decent strap match although I'm biased as Raven made his debut in this match.

Speaking of Raven: I remember back when he came to WWF in 2000 there were rumours that he was going to be revealed as the mastermind behind Right To Censor and that he was also going to be part of the backstory between Undertaker and Kane. I can't find a single person who remembers either of these things being discussed.

Wrestling speculation was never as rampant and unsourced yet still passed around as a possibility as in the late 90s-early 2000s. One dude on a forum would post some nonsense theory of his as fact and it would somehow spread everywhere and be accepted as gospel

Hell it wasn’t til like 2009 I figured out that Raven and Stevie Richards were probably not actually in a gay S&M relationship in real life cause 12 year old me definitely believed that poo poo in 2000

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Speaking of Stevie, is there a reason why he wasnt a bigger star? He had ä good look, could work and cut a promo.

Was it the size? The bwo stuff branding him as a "comedy wrestler"? Association with ECW?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Strap matches basically only exist when one of the wrestlers doesn't want to eat a pin

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheCool69 posted:

Speaking of Stevie, is there a reason why he wasnt a bigger star? He had ä good look, could work and cut a promo.

Was it the size? The bwo stuff branding him as a "comedy wrestler"? Association with ECW?

I think he just got lumped into being a weak comedic heel for too long and nobody was really interested in him when he tried to turn serious much later on. His best roles were easily Ravens lackey in ECW and the leader of RTC and outside of that he didn’t really have much character to support him

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Dr Stevie was pretty good in TNA.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think he just got lumped into being a weak comedic heel for too long and nobody was really interested in him when he tried to turn serious much later on. His best roles were easily Ravens lackey in ECW and the leader of RTC and outside of that he didn’t really have much character to support him

When did he try to turn serious? I can't remember him ever not being a punchline.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rujasu posted:

When did he try to turn serious? I can't remember him ever not being a punchline.

He became a mostly forgettable generic wrestler in WWECW from what I remember

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Wrestling speculation was never as rampant and unsourced yet still passed around as a possibility as in the late 90s-early 2000s. One dude on a forum would post some nonsense theory of his as fact and it would somehow spread everywhere and be accepted as gospel

Hell it wasn’t til like 2009 I figured out that Raven and Stevie Richards were probably not actually in a gay S&M relationship in real life cause 12 year old me definitely believed that poo poo in 2000

This is probably just a result of the early days of the Internet explosion. I did a lot of DBZ web searching at the same time and it was filled with the same made up garbage. I remember someone doing a recap of an episode, translated by themselves from the original Japanese, where Goku yelled out "FUUUUUUUUUUCK" as Namek exploded.

Turns out it wasn't nearly as cool as that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is probably just a result of the early days of the Internet explosion. I did a lot of DBZ web searching at the same time and it was filled with the same made up garbage. I remember someone doing a recap of an episode, translated by themselves from the original Japanese, where Goku yelled out "FUUUUUUUUUUCK" as Namek exploded.

Turns out it wasn't nearly as cool as that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNxgHTWIlo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

He also had a bad habit of getting hurt at bad times. Paul was supposedly going to put the ECW title on Stevie, then Stevie broke his neck....and signed with WCW for money reasons when he got healthy.....then got fired by WCW after he got re-injured.

Then WWECW was gonna push him as an underdog face and he got hurt again. I've always had a soft spot for him, does chickenshit heel really well, good promo, throws a hell of a superkick and used to be a GREAT bumper.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

all the most honest and truthful wrestling rumors were found on angelfire and geocities web pages that used randomly varying fonts, font sizes, and font colors for each different rumor

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Aye Doc posted:

all the most honest and truthful wrestling rumors were found on angelfire and geocities web pages that used randomly varying fonts, font sizes, and font colors for each different rumor

IS ERIC BISCHOFF IN TALKS WITH YOKOZUNA??! ***CLICK HERE FOR MORE***

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

oh but seriously I posted:

I see you frequently visited LordsOfPain as well.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Nystral posted:

i was hardcore rajahwwf. it was probably the same poo poo with a different style sheet tbf

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Stevie's best moment, you all know what this is but posting it anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj1ScIBpUq0

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Nystral posted:

I thought I was such hot poo poo in middle school with all my scoops.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hogan was pushing for Yokozuna instead of Hall and Nash

gotta get my win back, brother

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

i was hardcore rajahwwf. it was probably the same poo poo with a different style sheet tbf

sup rajah brother lol.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SCOTT HALL AND KEVIN NASH DEBUTING ON RAW TONIGHT

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Micasa and Scoops for all the latest info.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Has Konstantine Kyros every had a successful lawsuit against WWE?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Yoko in WCW would've been pretty dope honestly if he kept losing weight

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Low Desert Punk posted:

Yoko in WCW would've been pretty dope honestly if he kept losing weight

I can't think of a place where he would have had less of a chance to lose weight than in WCW. I don't think anyone running things would have monitored it or cared.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
What exactly makes a squash match? Is the pre-bell ring time counted? I once watched a match where the heel beat the face down for 15 minutes before the match bell, then it was over in 15 seconds. Is that still counted?

In light of that, what are the highest-rated squash matches of all time according to Big Dave?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

What exactly makes a squash match? Is the pre-bell ring time counted? I once watched a match where the heel beat the face down for 15 minutes before the match bell, then it was over in 15 seconds. Is that still counted?

In light of that, what are the highest-rated squash matches of all time according to Big Dave?

I think Brock's 2014 squash of Cena got four stars. Cena had two brief hope spots, but otherwise got destroyed for like 15 minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/3xeWnGI.gifv

Goddamn that match was beautiful :allears:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Doesn't really count as a squash but Goldberg/Lesnar at Mania 33 is one of the best 5-minute matches of all time

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Shine posted:

I think Brock's 2014 squash of Cena got four stars. Cena had two brief hope spots, but otherwise got destroyed for like 15 minutes.

https://i.imgur.com/3xeWnGI.gifv

Goddamn that match was beautiful :allears:

man, remember how a chunk of the crowd started chanting "boring" during this? wonder if they felt stupid after it was all said and done

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
When people talk about MJF and Cody they frequently mention Lex Luger and Sting.

What were they like? (Plus Lex Luger is a beef boy and Sting is a crow ghost, how did they have friendship?)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

man, remember how a chunk of the crowd started chanting "boring" during this? wonder if they felt stupid after it was all said and done

I also remember that one kid periodically yelling "Let's go Ceeeenaaaaa" as Cena whimpered on the floor.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

fez_machine posted:

When people talk about MJF and Cody they frequently mention Lex Luger and Sting.

What were they like? (Plus Lex Luger is a beef boy and Sting is a crow ghost, how did they have friendship?)
Oh my god, please somebody better than me write this up.

This has huge paragraph potential.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm not really the guy either but I will at least give a TL:DR version so you arn't in the dark.

Sting and Luger are two performers whose careers seemed to intermingle endlessly, like Hogan and Savage or Cena and Orton. Sting and Luger were frequently shown as being best friends even though Luger was always a shifty rear end in a top hat who could turn heel at any second even as a face and Sting was a consummate goody-goody. It hit a head right before the NWO started with Sting and Luger being in a tag team where Luger would play the nice guy to Sting's face and immediately shift in heel mode whenever Sting turned his back. It is an almost 1:1 parallel between MJF and Cody.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Luger saying he "knew" the NWO Sting was the real Sting because he looked into his eyes was the shittiest thing any wrestler has ever done.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ChrisBTY posted:

Luger would play the nice guy to Sting's face and immediately shift in heel mode whenever Sting turned his back.
This is to be taken literally. Someone post the gif!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah, the whole dynamic was based off Luger being an unapologetic heel but still a loyal friend to Sting, who always saw the good in him and stayed by his side through thick and thin.

Knowing how much Cody loves cribbing from old-school NWA/WCW, I guarantee this is how he's playing off his relationship with MJF.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Things like this make me really miss NWA/WCW

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Headcanon: MJF will never over the course of his career betray Cody.
Just because that NEVER happens in wrestling.