Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I did a one year freeze -- but I'm going to also apply for a seven year one, which according to Equifax has to be done in writing and I think requires documentation proving you need it.

It sounds like you may have gotten a year of fraud alert set up, not an actual credit freeze. Credit freezes are perpetual, and way better than a fraud alert against determined scammers.

See the last item here:
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Ah yes, I meant 1 year credit alert, not credit freeze. Mixed up the words.

I did both and the freezes were indeed a separate process from the alert, and are permanent. With the freezes I had to call each credit bureau individually do to each one, although their automated phone systems handled it all.

For the 1 year fraud alert, it only takes one call to any of them and they have to notify the others via a government agency. That was easy too. But, for a 7 year alert you need a reason and you have to mail it in writing.

For each of these events they mailed me something to acknowledge that it happened. For the fraud alert it came from the government agency they had to notify.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol iknowrite
that's me, just another dumb human looking for one weird trick that will supplement my deficiencies and laziness

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Got the Chinese Embassy scam the other day, except this time they started with a spiel in English before (presumably) repeating it in Chinese.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I've been getting the outstanding warrant for my arrest call 6 times a day for about a week now. I used to only get it once every half year. It's super annoying because it fills up my voicemail.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

computer angel posted:

I've been getting the outstanding warrant for my arrest call 6 times a day for about a week now. I used to only get it once every half year. It's super annoying because it fills up my voicemail.

Jesus, just turn yourself in. The consequences will only get worse over time.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I just got a robocall today that was in Chinese. The only part I could make out was "UPS."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

35 calls from different numbers in Anguilla in the last 2 days. How many Aussies even know where that is let alone someone there.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Getting automatic transcription of voicemails on my phone has saved me so much time in the last year. I get some legitimate calls from numbers that aren't in my contacts (doctor, utility company, etc) so it's nice to be able to sift through them at a glance.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

This sort of thing is only really just starting to take off here so I've never been concerned about setting anything up. It's either a legitimate call or someone fat fingering the number. Needles to say I'm not a fan.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

computer angel posted:

I got one of those once and I told the guy to come and get me, but be sure to bring plenty of body bags.

They never called back.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i got a whole day of calls from my own number the other day.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The scams are coming from inside the house!

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
I've been getting the Chinese embassy scam call, and a "this is your bank trying to contact you" scam call. (I can tell that's a scam because it's for a bank I don't have an account with.) I also got a text trying to scam me into thinking there was a problem with a previous phone bill, after I paid it, which was Fun.

I nearly got taken by that one; I was tired and blew off the fact that it was from F1d0, not Fido.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I've started getting the 'your car warranty is about to expire' from a shifty number, but bonus is that I just bought my car. Total misfire.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

I've started getting the 'your car warranty is about to expire' from a shifty number, but bonus is that I just bought my car. Total misfire.

My defense for that one is my car's warranty expired looong ago.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got one of those once and I told the guy to come and get me, but be sure to bring plenty of body bags.

They never called back.

Telling them that you're excited about being arrested because you have a Cop Fetish, also gets the scammers to hang up on you.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Another common scam: Organ donation. You signed up for it on your license intending to do a good deed. But see below. The companies that rip them out make deals with the state coroner that let them do so at the expense of interfering with your autopsy. If you ever become one of the folks who get murdered by police/criminals, then organ harvesting corporations might well be the reason why your death is never properly investigated as a murder and pushed under a rug. Better still, your organs might go towards installing borderline luxury products into rich baby boomers instead of saving lives. To rescind your organ donor status you need to do another whole DMV visit and risk getting another ID made (and perhaps intercepted for identity theft, the subject of my last huge post).

comedyblissoption posted:

the article says the body harvesting companies are literally writing laws coercing coroner's offices to let them get first digs

In the rush to harvest body parts, death investigations have been upended

quote:

The case is one of dozens of death investigations across the country, including more than two dozen in Los Angeles and San Diego counties, that The Times found were complicated or upended when transplantable body parts were taken before a coroner’s autopsy was performed.

In multiple cases, coroners have had to guess at the cause of death. Wrongful-death and medical malpractice lawsuits have been thwarted by early tissue harvesting. A death after a fight with police remains unsettled. The procurement process caused changes to bodies that medical examiners mistook as injuries or abuse. In at least one case, a murder charge was dropped.
To raise those numbers, California and other states over the last decade passed laws requiring coroners and medical examiners to “cooperate” with the companies to “maximize” the number of organs and tissues taken for transplant. Procurement companies’ lobbyists helped to write the legislation and push it into law.

In a handful of states the laws go even further, giving the companies the power to force coroners to delay autopsies until they have harvested the body parts.

Although the companies have emphasized organ transplants, in far more cases nationwide they harvested skin, bone, fat, ligaments and other tissues that are generally not used for life-threatening conditions. Those body parts fuel a booming industrial biotech market in which a half-teaspoon of ground-up human skin is priced at $434. That product is one of those used in cosmetic surgery to plump lips and posteriors, fill cellulite dimples and enhance penises. A single body can supply raw materials for products that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The county’s contract with OneLegacy does contain restrictions. Procurements from victims of suspected child abuse and officer-involved homicides must be approved by a senior morgue official.

Another notable contract exception: Donation is “generally unsuitable” in cases of media interest, including celebrity deaths.
In 2007, the year the laws passed in California and many other states, the procurement companies obtained just 2% of donors of bone, skin or other tissues through referrals by coroners and medical examiners, according to a survey by the American Assn. of Tissue Banks. Now, some companies report that a majority of their donors come from those being wheeled into the county morgue.

Mone, the CEO of OneLegacy, which operates in seven Southern California counties, said about 63% of organ donors and 51% of tissue donors came from the company’s partnerships with morgues in 2017.

“The law,” he said, “has been very beneficial.”
To increase the supply of harvested body parts, the companies have embedded procurement teams inside government morgues across the country.

Morgue officials at times give the corporate employees key cards so they can enter at any hour. The companies rent rooms inside the morgues, including suites where surgical teams harvest donors’ tissues.

In a growing number of counties nationwide, the companies can log into government computer files on the newly deceased, allowing them to swiftly find potential candidates for procurement.

In Michigan, a company called Gift of Life said donations of bone and other tissues soared after its foundation gave some coroner offices iPads loaded with special software to record details of a death at the scene, which are transmitted instantly to the company.

For several decades, federal rules have required hospitals to alert procurement companies when anyone dies inside their walls. With the new connections to government morgue computers, the companies also know immediately about deaths outside hospitals — and have contacted families when the body of a loved one is still at the scene, according to written complaints made to supervisors by morgue staff in Los Angeles and Tacoma, Wash.

“I was inside the residence performing my investigation and the family was standing by outside,” Kim Pavek, an L.A. County coroner investigator, wrote in an internal complaint about OneLegacy after a suicide in 2008. “The decedent’s mother asked me why someone from my office would call her cellphone during such a distraught time.... She explained to me that someone from OneLegacy said they were a representative from the coroner’s office inquiring about ‘donating parts.’ ”
Despite the limited review, The Times found more than two dozen cases in which the procurements made it harder to determine the cause of death. In many of those cases, coroners were unable to conclude either why or how the person died.

The cases included possible homicides, highway accidents, deaths after surgeries, a drug overdose, a suspected suicide and a death that followed a fight with a police officer. The deceased ranged from homeless people to members of wealthy families, although more were poor than rich. Most were middle-age or younger. One was a child.

In at least five cases, the documents show that companies harvested body parts without reporting what appeared to be a death from a crime, an accident or suicide to coroner officials. California law requires any person in charge of a body who has knowledge that the death may have been from unnatural causes to immediately alert the coroner.

*cinematic logistics montage of child dead from opioid overdose, grieving family agreeing to organ donation because at least it will save some other child, body harvesters throwing away the useless internal organs b/c they were liquefied from kidney failure and prolonged life support, ripped off skin being grounded up, middlemen haggling over price and profit margins and then hand-shaking, then finally skin paste being injected into the now fatter rear end of a sackler family socialite*

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 13, 2019

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Or when you donate your remains to medical research after you die, but they get sold for profit or used to test weapons.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49198405

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Stick Insect posted:

Or when you donate your remains to medical research after you die, but they get sold for profit or used to test weapons.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49198405
Hahaaaaaaaaaa, that's right. x'D gently caress my dead grandma though, tbqh. Her fat rear end killed my gentle grandfather. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Within an hour of my wife dying I had a voicemail trying to claim her eyes. Luckily my friend is medical and knew I was obviously struggling to deal with everything going on let alone that and told me they wouldn’t actually be used to help anyone anyway. So yeah gently caress everyone.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

Within an hour of my wife dying I had a voicemail trying to claim her eyes. Luckily my friend is medical and knew I was obviously struggling to deal with everything going on let alone that and told me they wouldn’t actually be used to help anyone anyway. So yeah gently caress everyone.

Jesus loving Christ. I'm so sorry, comrade.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

that article posted:

A single body can supply raw materials for products that sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Where do I sign? I don't really care if they take my skin or whatever after I'm dead, even for profit, since I won't be alive to care. And I'll just be cremated anyway. Better I make someone's rear end nicer rather than just end up as more dissipated heat.
But if they are making a profit from it, I'd like my family to get at least a piece of that action.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

zmcnulty posted:

Where do I sign? I don't really care if they take my skin or whatever after I'm dead, even for profit, since I won't be alive to care. And I'll just be cremated anyway. Better I make someone's rear end nicer rather than just end up as more dissipated heat.
But if they are making a profit from it, I'd like my family to get at least a piece of that action.

Your family won't see a dime, but they'll pay all lf the funerary expenses.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tubgoat posted:

Your family won't see a dime, but they'll pay all lf the funerary expenses.

This memorial brought to you by McDonald’s.

Duh duh duh duh duh I’m Lovin’ It.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

idk I think I'd rather let my corpse feed the worms rather than get injected into a boomer butt

I have to get my ID renewed soon anyways, I'll have to look into getting my organ donor status removed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Counterpoint, donated organs do once in a while manage to make their way to someone who critically needs it and would die without it

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Life/death hack: die outside of the US.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Wrex Ruckus posted:

idk I think I'd rather let my corpse feed the worms rather than get injected into a boomer butt

I have to get my ID renewed soon anyways, I'll have to look into getting my organ donor status removed
Cremation, don't posion the earth further, the worms can't eat you, you're pumped full of toxins to keep your corpse around as long as possible.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Counterpoint, donated organs do once in a while manage to make their way to someone who critically needs it and would die without it

Yeah, this - telling people to rescind organ donor status seems like harmful advice to me, can we not do that?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

rujasu posted:

Yeah, this - telling people to rescind organ donor status seems like harmful advice to me, can we not do that?

I wasn't suggesting to, I was just preemptively suggesting how. Personally I do not want my own death investigation to be compromised for profits. But, requesting a new ID is a risk too so I might not.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Cremation, don't posion the earth further, the worms can't eat you, you're pumped full of toxins to keep your corpse around as long as possible.

Embalming isn't mandatory.

I've been putting off looking into Tibetan sky burial.

The entire funeral industry is a scam. It's like Used Cars but with grandma's body.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean, you can just buy the cheapest coffin model ($2000) if Grandma didn't really mean anything to you

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When I die I want to be flung out of a catapult at sufficient velocity that my body self-buries where it lands.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Get composted and use the soil to grow some tomatoes.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

rujasu posted:

There’s already the fear that being on a donor list makes you more likely to be preemptively declared dead by hospitals if you go in there looking like a promising organ box.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

HerStuddMuffin posted:

There’s already the fear that being on a donor list makes you more likely to be preemptively declared dead by hospitals if you go in there looking like a promising organ box.

Joke's on them, I'm an organ donor and a career smoker with lovely vision, they won't be able to use a goddamn thing by the time I kick off

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

My plan is to go for a swim and never be found. We've screwed the ocean over hard I may as well give the fish a dinner before they're extinct too.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I'm with the late Jeremy Hardy: I want to be scattered when I die.

I don't want to be cremated beforehand, I want to cause as much inconvenience as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Another common scam: Organ donation. You signed up for it on your license intending to do a good deed. But see below. The companies that rip them out make deals with the state coroner that let them do so at the expense of interfering with your autopsy. If you ever become one of the folks who get murdered by police/criminals, then organ harvesting corporations might well be the reason why your death is never properly investigated as a murder and pushed under a rug. Better still, your organs might go towards installing borderline luxury products into rich baby boomers instead of saving lives. To rescind your organ donor status you need to do another whole DMV visit and risk getting another ID made (and perhaps intercepted for identity theft, the subject of my last huge post).
[/quote]

And people thought I was overly paranoid when I didn't become an organ donor.