Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Spek posted:

It'll be very interesting to see if the actor for Rand can manage the simultaneous and slow transformations between country bumpkin -> confident ruler and sane->mad and then come full circle with Rand Sedai at the end.

A friend of mine started her first read a while back and asked me "Where was Alviarin when the rebel Aes Sedai travelled to Tar Valon?" and I realized I had no idea. My attempts to google it turned up nothing. We know she was missing and that Elaida recaptured much of her political power because of it and stripped her of the keeper's staff on her return but I cant find any info on what she was up to. I think there were some hints she was at Tremalking(unless that was a previous outing?) but no hints at all as to why or what she was doing. Anyone have any ideas?

Wasn't it Tremalking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Not Tremalking.

This should give you all the information you need:

https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Alviarin_Freidhen

That website is an incredibly comprehensive reference source for anything WoT related.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Is there list of the entire Black Ajah anywhere? It would be nice to have around for the reread I just started

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Is there list of the entire Black Ajah anywhere? It would be nice to have around for the reread I just started

The black Ajah was something like 1/3 of the tower IIRC, But the Tar Valon Library would probably have what you need.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Lord Bude posted:

The black Ajah was something like 1/3 of the tower IIRC, But the Tar Valon Library would probably have what you need.

https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Black_Ajah_Character_List

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Another character/arc they cannot gently caress up is Verin, because holy poo poo.

The problem is a lot of the is-she-isn't-she in the text is based on observations in her own POV. So that's going to be harder to show. You'd have to be super explicit with certain things like when she shows up with the "Moiraine sent me" business.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 9, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Lord Bude posted:

Not Tremalking.

This should give you all the information you need:

https://library.tarvalon.net/index.php?title=Alviarin_Freidhen

That website is an incredibly comprehensive reference source for anything WoT related.

Based on that link, it was Tremalking!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Another character/arc they cannot gently caress up is Verin, because holy poo poo.

The problem is a lot of the is-she-isn't-she in the text is based on observations in her own POV. So that's going to be harder to show. You'd have to be super explicit with certain things like when she shows up with the "Moiraine sent me" business.

Some of that will happen naturally because of the camera. The camera frames and highlights.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Every episode ends with a close up of Verin's eyes

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Honestly I think they could easily go too far with revealing Verin is black ajah, but the reveal that she's actually been actively working against them would still be awesome.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That was absolutely one of my favourite parts of the series. The hunt for the Black Ajah was super interesting, but finding out that Verin had infiltrated them just to discover their secrets was so cool and I loved all of it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I want to mention as well that Rand has a moment in one of the later books where he spins a web and knots it, then freaks out because that isnt how he describes things....

But hes been on and off referring to it that way for a while.

Shares a lot with Walker's PTSD hell in Spec Ops: The Line really.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And jeez, the Forsaken all being unbelievably flawed and at each other's throats but full of their own pride. Hell Moghedien's entire deal is disguising the fact that shes an outright coward.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Based on that link, it was Tremalking!

Haha. Iirc is was reddish mud on her skirts that she channeled off in the library basement that someone might recognize

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I misunderstood the question. I thought you meant where did she go after she fled when Egwene revealed the list.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I stumbled across this thread and remembered that the WoT TV show was going to be a thing and figured I could kill some time and see if there was any news about it. Then I saw the podcast someone mentioned upthread and thought that would be a good way to catch up since it's been about 5 years since I've read the books and I only finished the series the one time (I tried reading them back in the day but gave up halfway through Crossroads of Twilight). The podcast was talking about stuff I had zero memory of, so I figured I may as well start a re-read and just listen to the podcast as I go. So thanks for making me start this behemoth of a series again y'all. If I burn out halfway through again I'm blaming all of you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The first time I read WoT; it had been published up to book 10. I read the series in about 3 months ( I was in high school at the time) and I remember finishing book 10 under the covers in bed reading by torchlight after I was supposed to be asleep. I was very upset with the cliffhanger at the end of the book. By the time book 11 came out I had finished school, so from 11 to 14 each time a book came out, I'd book vacation time, spend a couple of weeks doing a marathon reread of the entire series, before buying the last book as soon as the bookstore opened. I'd then sit and read the book in a single sitting, reading right through the night.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Can Judi Dench be either Sorilea or Cadsuane please

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also the lady who plays Avasarala needs to be one of the Wise Ones or something

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Can Judi Dench be either Sorilea or Cadsuane please

The other of the two needs to be played by Maggie Smith. I think I’d prefer her as Cadsuane.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also the lady who plays Avasarala needs to be one of the Wise Ones or something

yeah if Shohreh Aghdashloo doesn't get one of the big older female channeler roles, they hosed up

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Either would be good, but the bite Dench puts in her words in this scene is incredible:

https://youtu.be/DE5A1PzJQ18

Basically I'm saying more hardass women please

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

eke out posted:

yeah if Shohreh Aghdashloo doesn't get one of the big older female channeler roles, they hosed up

Jfc shes Semirhage. Like a spot-on Semirhage.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Either would be good, but the bite Dench puts in her words in this scene is incredible:

https://youtu.be/DE5A1PzJQ18

Basically I'm saying more hardass women please

There’s some saying that all upper class British men are begging for a dressing down from Mummy and I gotta believe this is a prime example

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

I'd be more interested to see how it compares to his Conan books (why did those go out of circulation btw?).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Jfc shes Semirhage. Like a spot-on Semirhage.

A bit too light skinned to be Semirhage, but otherwise spot on. I love the actress, she's so amazing, so I wouldn't mind her playing Semirhage at all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They gotta be "ageless" though

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Data Graham posted:

They gotta be "ageless" though

What do you think the CGI budget will be spent on?

Edit: Also Semirhage and the other Forsaken don't have the ageless look.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 11, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Torrannor posted:

A bit too light skinned to be Semirhage, but otherwise spot on. I love the actress, she's so amazing, so I wouldn't mind her playing Semirhage at all.

I sorta got the impression that race doesn't really matter with the casting.

Speaking of the Forsaken, I wonder who they'll get to do Lanfear? She has a pretty central role for the early books.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eke out posted:

Age is wrong, but Siuane Sanche. Boats instead of profanity.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Fish guts is profanity :colbert:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I’m not seeing it, sorry.

The actress that portrayed Amanda Waller on Arrow would make a good Siuan though.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'd be more interested to see how it compares to his Conan books (why did those go out of circulation btw?).

No idea, but I hope they get a reprint at some point. From what I recall they were pretty good, all things considered, and I lost my copies in a house move a few years back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Started book 14 yesterday, hell yeah.

3 hour prologue, yeaaahhhh. At least it was pretty good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mat Cauthon posted:

No idea, but I hope they get a reprint at some point. From what I recall they were pretty good, all things considered, and I lost my copies in a house move a few years back.

That AV of yours is my all time favourite piece of WoT art. I was always sad most people never got to see those ebook covers, they should have reprinted the books with them. The original US cover art is terrible.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

High Warlord Zog posted:

Mat Cauthon posted:

These ones? Amazon seems to have Kindle and paperback editions available itself and there are third party sellers for hardback.
https://www.amazon.com/Conan-Chronicles-Robert-Jordan-ebook/dp/B005T5O30E/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Lord Bude posted:

That AV of yours is my all time favourite piece of WoT art. I was always sad most people never got to see those ebook covers, they should have reprinted the books with them. The original US cover art is terrible.

The Winter's Heart ebook cover is the best of the new covers, it's really amazing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Torrannor posted:

The Winter's Heart ebook cover is the best of the new covers, it's really amazing.

I also appreciate LoC's being straight up front with the ninjas fighting the men in black.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There’s a guy floating across the river and a trolloc in the second pic.
Where's the Trolloc? I can't find it even when I go full size on that pic.

Also, excite. Finished MoL late last week (this reread was my first time getting past, I think, book 4? 5?) – it's been a real ride finally finishing up something I started reading in the mid 90s, and now being able to follow development/release of the hopefully-not-butchered TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ulmont posted:

These ones? Amazon seems to have Kindle and paperback editions available itself and there are third party sellers for hardback.
https://www.amazon.com/Conan-Chronicles-Robert-Jordan-ebook/dp/B005T5O30E/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Yeah, those are the ones. I went looking for them on Amazon a while back and couldn't find any sellers, but maybe that was just a random spot of bad timing.